• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do wrestlers have to have fit looking bodies?

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
After reading a thread on another forum about age in wrestling, and why so many of today's stars are much younger than they used to be, it got me thinking about why. One proposed theory is that younger men are able to have better bodies, and thus a better look. So, that raises this question.

Does a wrestler have to have a fit looking body for you to take them seriously? I'm not necessarily talking about a wrestler with big muscles like a Batista or an Ultimate Warrior. I'm talking about just having a general healthy appearance. Guys like Bryan Danielson, AJ Styles, Batista, Shawn Michaels, Matt Sydal, Jay Lethal etc.

If you look back at some of the greats of wrestlings past, guys like Dick Murdoch, Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Dick the Bruiser, Andre, Abdullah the Butcher, etc., these guys looked like they spent way to much time at the bars drinking and having a good time (and for many of them, they probably did), but they were highly respected wrestlers and many of them were legitimate tough guys.

However, today, with the exception of guys like Trevor Murdoch, most new wrestlers that come into the business have incredibly fit looking bodies, and many of them are ripped as well.

Is it necessary for a guy to have a lean body for you to take him seriously as a wrestler?

Sly, this is a fantastic thread, and I think it will create some awesome debate. So my answer:

Yes. And no.

1. The wrestlers bodies are a bi-product of the strenuous activites they engage in and the athletic nature of professional wrestling. To go out and wrestler matches for a certain number of days per week creates the existance of athleticism. Then, to be able to maintain that level, many of them lift weights and do cardio just to be able to perform the maneuvers in a safe manner and prevent injury.

2. Exceptions to the rule - SHW's. Umaga, Rikishi, and Yokozuna didn't have nice bodies at all, but it didn't really effect their in-ring product. Well, for Yoko is did late in his career, but when you hit 600-700 lbs, that will happen. Umaga still moves great despite his less-than-desirable physique, so it makes sense. By the same token, I was more impressed with Great Khali because of his size and conditioning than I was with Big Show the last 3 years.

3. Physique is an indicator of work ethic. A wrestler with a nice physique leads fans to believe that he (or she) works out outside the ring and eats well. As a result, a fan may feel a deeper respect for that wrestler. I think a great deal of Warrior's and Batista's popularity comes off the heels of the physiques they present, making them appear larger than life.

So wrestlers do not NEED to have a great physique, but it helps. It means they are better conditioned athletes and probably a bit safer in the ring. I also think a nice phsyique opens doors for young wrestlers, but a less than desirable physique shouldn't shut anybody out.

Great Bodies, Shit Wrestlers
Lex Luger
Heidenreich
Rob Conway
Nathan Jones

Shit Bodies, Good Wrestlers
Rikishi
Big Show
Trevor Murdoch
George Steele
Gorilla Monsoon

I agree with Irish: It helps, but it's not needed.

Homicide and Jimmy Rave are two of my favorite wrestlers from today's era, and they both look like very average people. However, if they were signed by WWE and had a match with Cena or The Undertaker and actually competed, I could still believe it because of the way they carried themselves. It's all about presence. If one thinks he's a bad ass and can show that he is in the ring, then I think most would find it believable for them to have a shot against the top competitors.

Now, if you're just a heavily overweight dude, then you need a character to get over. You'll notice every overweight person in the business that was successful all had unique characters.

Having a fit body doesn't mean all that if you can't entertain. Look at Mark Jindrak, for example. Decent wrestler, but he was so generic and boring. His body is what got him signed, but it couldn’t take him to the next level.

To me, to be successful in pro wrestling, you just need to stand out. Having a body just gets you there faster, but if you're really talented, it will not matter in the end.

Sly, this is a fantastic thread, and I think it will create some awesome debate. So my answer:

Yes. And no.

1. The wrestlers bodies are a bi-product of the strenuous activites they engage in and the athletic nature of professional wrestling. To go out and wrestler matches for a certain number of days per week creates the existance of athleticism. Then, to be able to maintain that level, many of them lift weights and do cardio just to be able to perform the maneuvers in a safe manner and prevent injury.

This is true, however you don't get a body like Batista by just lifting a few weights, jogging a bit, and wrestling. The reason this is a hot topic in wrestling is because guys like Batista get pushed right to the top because the only way to bill them is as a dominant powerhouse. Gregory Helms had a body that was a bi product of being a wrestler, but he got killed by Lashley and Batista more than once despite being a better wrestler. I think this is the problem people have.

2. Exceptions to the rule - SHW's. Umaga, Rikishi, and Yokozuna didn't have nice bodies at all, but it didn't really effect their in-ring product. Well, for Yoko is did late in his career, but when you hit 600-700 lbs, that will happen. Umaga still moves great despite his less-than-desirable physique, so it makes sense. By the same token, I was more impressed with Great Khali because of his size and conditioning than I was with Big Show the last 3 years.

Umaga and Rikishi were examples of genetics. They are the type of person that can work out, eat healthy, and never have a six pack. Look at Umaga and Vader. You can probably name 10 wrestlers 240-280 pounds that they are more agile than, yet have worse bodies. There work ethic shined through there performance. This is why they are an exception, there body is still healthy looking, not flabby.

3. Physique is an indicator of work ethic. A wrestler with a nice physique leads fans to believe that he (or she) works out outside the ring and eats well. As a result, a fan may feel a deeper respect for that wrestler. I think a great deal of Warrior's and Batista's popularity comes off the heels of the physiques they present, making them appear larger than life.

So wrestlers do not NEED to have a great physique, but it helps. It means they are better conditioned athletes and probably a bit safer in the ring. I also think a nice phsyique opens doors for young wrestlers, but a less than desirable physique shouldn't shut anybody out.

Lex Luger
Heidenreich
Rob Conway
Nathan Jones

Rikishi
Big Show
Trevor Murdoch
George Steele
Gorilla Monsoon

This is somewhat true. A physique is a indicator of work ethic on some, but not all. Going back to Umaga, I can tell you as a personal trainer for two years, that he and Batista could be on the same diet and exercise program and they would not have similar bodies. Umaga is just naturally big with a lot of fluid around his muscles making them less defined. This does not mean he doesn't work out as much as Batista, and I think it shows in his agility.

You can never say a muscular physique is required, but lately it seems like it is. Unless you count the ECW title (which I don't) you have to go back to JBL being WWE champ to get the last World champ that didn't have a ripped body. Also, no one without that certian look we are discussing has held the World Heavyweight belt.

Looking at your list, it seems you'll agree that Luger got on top by having a good physique. He's a good example because like Batista, you don't get that body from wrestling. That pretty much sent the message that time in the weight room is more important than mat time in the gym. From, your list of shitty bodies, only Big Show has been World Champ, and I don't think Murdoch is on his way despite being a hell of a wrestler. I wish it wasn't true, but a physique will get you at least to the midcard.

Yes. And no.

Lex Luger
Heidenreich
Rob Conway
Nathan Jones

Rikishi
Big Show
Trevor Murdoch
George Steele
Gorilla Monsoon

I think it's a bit of a combination as well. a lot of what we think is based on what we see. take with women for example...i know a few hot women who i've been tempted to hold under water until the bubbles stop because i find their attitudes annoying and i think it rolls over into wrestling as well.
if you were to line up Brian Kendrick, Rob Conway and Trevor Murdoch, knowing nothing about them and ask who you would assume is the better wrestler. you'd choose the guy who looks lean with the good figure because it's a physical sport which is seen to need strength.

As has been mentioned, Umaga's probably in better shape than half the roster, yet he still has a bit of a gut.

does a physique make you a better wrestler - not really. might mean you can lift heavier people, but not better wrestler. does it mean vinnie mc's more likely to try to make you a champ - i'd say yes

I think it's a bit of a combination as well. a lot of what we think is based on what we see. take with women for example...i know a few hot women who i've been tempted to hold under water until the bubbles stop because i find their attitudes annoying and i think it rolls over into wrestling as well.

We all know women like this, and it does translate to wrestling, not in a good way. First look at Ashley, heck of an athlete, terrible wrestler, but in my eyes very hot. I hate to say it, but she may have a little pull with me backstage if I was running things. I wouldn't make her champion, but she definately wouldn't get fired for underperforming (in the ring).

Vince is guilty more than I would ever be though. His compliments of Kelly Kelly's ring "improvement" make me wanna barf. Whenever I read something like Kelly's improvment is getting compliments from Vince, what it translated to in my brain was-Vince loves the way Kelly's ass looks in those short shorts so she's getting more TV time now. Remember reading how Vince was working with Kelly closly on her reaction with the Miz-Balls storyline? What the hell, your women's division is a joke and your tag division is even worse, but please by all means make sure you work with Kelly on her reactions to a storyline happening on a show nobody watches. All of this is because of her looks, it has nothing to do with her abilities. When you see her on RAW getting more TV time than your favorite wrestlers, you know why.

if you were to line up Brian Kendrick, Rob Conway and Trevor Murdoch, knowing nothing about them and ask who you would assume is the better wrestler. you'd choose the guy who looks lean with the good figure because it's a physical sport which is seen to need strength.

As has been mentioned, Umaga's probably in better shape than half the roster, yet he still has a bit of a gut.

does a physique make you a better wrestler - not really. might mean you can lift heavier people, but not better wrestler. does it mean vinnie mc's more likely to try to make you a champ - i'd say yes

This is why physique comes into play. The fans need to be able to bye that whoever is winning could actually win the match. No average person with no wrestling knowledge would think Murdoch could go five minutes without passing out. In Umaga's case, people automatically assume a big man has no cardio. Even the makers of WWE video games are guilty, Umaga has one of the lowest stamina ratings in the game. I think Umaga could run laps around Batista and Taker. A physique shouldn't matter but it does.

A wrestler simply has to look the part. For instance:

Cena: superman: big body
Bryan Danielson: wrestling focuses: amateur wrestling looking body
Necro Butcher: Crazy ass tough dude: not ripped at all, but he looks derranged.

Does it matter more in the WWE? Yes, but you can't have a character like Mandkind look like Chris Masters and you can't have Chris Masters look like Mankind (unless it's some sort of bad joke).

I dont think its absolutely necessary, but its helps in a lot of cases...

All the wrestlers IC25 mentioned as having great physiques and being shit wrestlers were given gimmicks about their physiques, or becuase of their physiques.

Rob Conway-juuuuuuuuuuuuusst LOOK AT ME...we all remember the Rick Rude rip off...It didnt work, but it got him a small singles push, becuase of his physique.

Lex Luger-BOTH of his pushes in WWE were baqsed upon his physique if you really think about it...The Narcissist first, and then Lex "im the only guy strong enough to slam yokozuna becuase im motherfuckin ripped as fuck" Luger"

Heidenriech- Was a HUGE CRAZY DUDE, his physique helped him get a monster heel push, and you could venture to say that his face push was becuase of his physique as well, becuase it was a huge crazy guy writing poetry

Nathan Jones-sorta the same thing as Heidenreich, but Jones wasnt really good at anything, he was just pushed as a huge crazy dude.

The point is besides their physiques, none of these guys really had much going for them, and so, recieved their pushes generally BECUASE of their physiques.

Same goes for "looking the part". I dont think Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, OR John Cena couldve played their parts as effectively had they not possesed the magnificent physiques they have. I also think that Batistas impressive physique is part of the reason he has gotten a push as well.

A great physique isnt absolutely necessary, as some of the best ever havent had overly impressive physiques, Shawn Micheals and Bret Hart being the most obvious examples of this, along with Jake Roberts.

I dont think its necessary, but it helps, and leaves you more open to a wider range of roles, and makes you stand out a lot easier through physical appearance, so that also helps, especially if you are lacking in other areas of preformances. The Great Kahli is a perfect example of this. If a smaller, say Brian Kendrick sized guy had as horrible timing and selling ability as Kahli, there is no way he would get over. Kahli on the other hand, on account of his sheer size and physical imposing nature, gets over as his monster heel character.

I really don't think how 'fit' they look has anything to do with it. I mean, everyone argues over what makes a good wrestler, but I don't think I've ever seen them looking good coming into it, apart from a select few who watch WWE due to that. But in general, the WWE shouldn't base anything on the looks of a wrestler, I don't think that's fair.

To be a wrestler, you generally need to be healthy at the least. But people also have different opinions on what healthy means. Look at Umaga, he doesn't have the best body yet he can still work it in the ring. Then look at Orton and Cena, possibly the 2 most 'fancied' wrestlers at the moment. They are both good athletes, and they're visuals for the what the term healthy is in general in sport. It comes down to, does fit=healthy and vice versa?

WWE is in the spotlight a lot all over the world, and the media of the sports world can sometimes be just as critical of the guys wrestling bodies as they are with female celebrities. Some guys may see this pressure as something and work harder to try and have that overall 'good looking' look. This in turn, could make them better at what they do as they out more work in, so it may not be the reason they are pushed, but it's the start of it.

There are a few wrestling fans out there I don't particularly get along with; and they are the ones that watch wrestling solely because of the physical appearance of the wrestlers. But even though a lot of people may not agree on the reason they watch it, the WWE don't care on the reason as they are getting more money regardless.

Finally I have to say, this is basically the divas. The divas are there because of what they look like, very few have wrestling talent under any of the categories argued over about what makes someone skillful. Yet because they have good looking bodies, or faces, they are pushed a lot. I don't think this will end up being what the mens divison comes to, but it is something to think about.

To be a wrestler, you generally need to be healthy at the least. But people also have different opinions on what healthy means. Look at Umaga, he doesn't have the best body yet he can still work it in the ring. Then look at Orton and Cena, possibly the 2 most 'fancied' wrestlers at the moment. They are both good athletes, and they're visuals for the what the term healthy is in general in sport. It comes down to, does fit=healthy and vice versa?

Fit definately doesn't equal healthy. Look at Batista, he's huge, has amazing muscle definition, and rock hard abs. His kidneys are also more than likely gonna stop working at age 50, and he may start to piss out shards of his own liver due to steriod use. I wouldn't call that healthy. However, the majority of the public have no idea what he's doing and what it does to yoy, so they think he looks amazing. I bet 99% of casual fans think Batista could take out Umaga in a fight simply because of how he looks.

WWE is in the spotlight a lot all over the world, and the media of the sports world can sometimes be just as critical of the guys wrestling bodies as they are with female celebrities. Some guys may see this pressure as something and work harder to try and have that overall 'good looking' look. This in turn, could make them better at what they do as they out more work in, so it may not be the reason they are pushed, but it's the start of it.

True, but still a guy with less of a body has less of a chance of getting a push. When, Edge first came to the WWE he was around 220 pounds, and was refered to as a walking stick. It wasn't until he went up to 240 that he got a main event push. Chris Masters was getting a great push when he first started out, then he de-bulked and got pushed down the card. He went from wrestling Shawn Michaels to Hacksaw Jim Duggan pretty quickly. If a guy is pressured to get in better shape because he's on TV, it won't make his technique any better, but I bet he'd get moved up the card.

There are a few wrestling fans out there I don't particularly get along with; and they are the ones that watch wrestling solely because of the physical appearance of the wrestlers. But even though a lot of people may not agree on the reason they watch it, the WWE don't care on the reason as they are getting more money regardless.

Finally I have to say, this is basically the divas. The divas are there because of what they look like, very few have wrestling talent under any of the categories argued over about what makes someone skillful. Yet because they have good looking bodies, or faces, they are pushed a lot. I don't think this will end up being what the mens divison comes to, but it is something to think about.

First, the WWE doesn't give any other reason to watch the women's division other than sex appeal. Beth is great but wrestling Maria only serves one purpose. Very few men watche RAW to see if Beth will defend the women's belt, they watch to see who she's against and what they are wearing. Second, refering to male wrestlers, Shawn Michaels' entire first reign as champion was built around his looks. I'm not saying he's bad in the ring, I'm just saying thats proof a body/looks can get you to the top. Again Lex Luger is the prime example, no one will tell you he's great in the ring, but he was a headliner because he was a specimen.

Fit definately doesn't equal healthy. Look at Batista, he's huge, has amazing muscle definition, and rock hard abs. His kidneys are also more than likely gonna stop working at age 50, and he may start to piss out shards of his own liver due to steriod use. I wouldn't call that healthy. However, the majority of the public have no idea what he's doing and what it does to yoy, so they think he looks amazing. I bet 99% of casual fans think Batista could take out Umaga in a fight simply because of how he looks.

Well I agree with you, most people would automatically think Batista, yet after watching matches with both of them, I'd definately say Umaga. I wasn't really talking about steriod use when I made my points, but I also don't think people who have taken steroids are or should be classed as healthy.

True, but still a guy with less of a body has less of a chance of getting a push. When, Edge first came to the WWE he was around 220 pounds, and was refered to as a walking stick. It wasn't until he went up to 240 that he got a main event push. Chris Masters was getting a great push when he first started out, then he de-bulked and got pushed down the card. He went from wrestling Shawn Michaels to Hacksaw Jim Duggan pretty quickly. If a guy is pressured to get in better shape because he's on TV, it won't make his technique any better, but I bet he'd get moved up the card.

That's the WWE trying to appeal to people though, and I think everyone seems to think McMahon likes everything 'bigger'. Why else would we have Khali in the ring? I don't think a wrestler needs to have a 'fit' looking body to be good at wha they do, but I think McMahon may think that way, or prefer it that way.

First, the WWE doesn't give any other reason to watch the women's division other than sex appeal. Beth is great but wrestling Maria only serves one purpose. Very few men watche RAW to see if Beth will defend the women's belt, they watch to see who she's against and what they are wearing. Second, refering to male wrestlers, Shawn Michaels' entire first reign as champion was built around his looks. I'm not saying he's bad in the ring, I'm just saying thats proof a body/looks can get you to the top. Again Lex Luger is the prime example, no one will tell you he's great in the ring, but he was a headliner because he was a specimen.

But it shouldn't be about looks at the end of the day. I mean, remember when Shawn started out? He was bigger than he is now. Who knows what would have happened if he stayed that way.

The divas are only there to look good, everyone knows that. They basically get pushed because of what they look like. I think it's obvious the mens division is a lot different to the womens, but it seems to help looking better.

In my opinion, a wrestler does not need a fit body. Some of the true greats of wrestling have been out of shape (i.e Dusty Rhodes, Andre the Giant, Umaga...). That's the problem most people assume that for a wrestler to be good in the ring, he has to be ripped/packed (muscular). That's not true, there have been many very muscualr wrestlers who couldn't do squat in the ring. An example being Chris Masters. He had this "amazing physique", but yet he was not a good wrestler.

Another issue is that the wreslers who got the bodies they have go it from 'roids (i.e Batista, Masters, HHH...). Since WWE is cutting back on the 'roids in their locker rooms, most of the wrestlers will have smaller/flabbier bodies (i.e Rey, HHH...). To those wrestlers who earned their muscular bodies from hard work, good jub, but in my opinion, it's still not that important.

no they dont. no one gives a crap about how a guy looks, except for maybe post pubecent teenage girls. not wrestling fans. proof? stone cold. by no means a body builder, but he is the reason i, and everyone else i know, started watching pro wrestling. more proof? take guys who's entire gimmick was their bodies, ex. chris masters, and that other guy who had a smiliar gimmick, he used to bring a mirror to the ring, and rob conway. those guys sucked. no one ever gave a crap about them and now they're all back on the indy scene with the rest of the rookies. point proven.

no they dont. no one gives a crap about how a guy looks, except for maybe post pubecent teenage girls. not wrestling fans. proof? stone cold. by no means a body builder, but he is the reason i, and everyone else i know, started watching pro wrestling. more proof? take guys who's entire gimmick was their bodies, ex. chris masters, and that other guy who had a smiliar gimmick, he used to bring a mirror to the ring, and rob conway. those guys sucked. no one ever gave a crap about them and now they're all back on the indy scene with the rest of the rookies. point proven.

Except that Masters, Conway, and Mark Jindrak (who I believe is the guy with the mirror you are refering to) were as uninteresting as it gets.

Look at Lex Luger and Batista. These to guys wouldn't even have gotten a tryout if they didn't have the bodybuilding, fake tan look. This larger than life appearance is what most casual fans want to see.

I don't know what world you are living in, but right now, looks matter. Ask any ugly person.

i dont think edge and randy orton are champions for their physique. neither is chavo for that matter. and i agree that batista is overrated, but his persona fits well with his character, and he's the best face powerhouse smackdown has. plus you got guys like finlay and jeff hardy who are also major, tho not main event, players on their brands, and again, are far from being body builders. call me crazy, but i think the luger, ventura, ultamite warrior days are over. now of course, if you got another lesnar/lashley look alike dude walking into the WWE, he's gonna get a big push. and yes it will be undeserved, but it is pro wrestling, those guys fit there, and pretty much nowhere else, just look at lesnars UFC fight for proof on that.

everybody knows pro wrestling is a show, entertainment. with that said if you ar going to be a major player(major player being a maineventer world champ in the wwe) then a good body is a must. now as stated by some others , you dont have to be Lex Luger, but you need to at least be Randy Orton. and even he's on the line. I can't think of one WWE champ that didnt have the "look" of a champion. even tho it is entertainment, the champ still need to look legit. i.e cm punk, jeff hardy good wrestlers, but won't ever be wwe champ. simply because they aren't impressive looking. Wrestlers like Ric Flair, Shawn michaels, and bret hart showed that you didnt have to be 6'6 300 pounds but all those guys were in shape and looked the part. cm punk doesnt look like he touches weights, no knock on him as a performer, but not gonna be a major player until he beefs up. i.e HHH, Edge. You have guys like umaga how aren't chisled but thats not their character, he's still huge, like rikishi, or yoko, or andre, king kong bundy, etc.

It's easier to get noticed in wrestling if you're big and ripped. However, I think it's changing, when I look at the WWE, guys are smaller, less roided than ever before, when I look on the indy scene, they're less roided than before.

I saw Chris Masters at a recent indy show, he was still big, but not anywhere near as big or ripped, so I'm guessing he's off the juice.

If you are big and ripped, it's certainly easier, but a lot of times, if you're big and ripped with no talent, unless you're rediculously ripped, you'll get lost in the shuffle of all the other big and ripped guys. Likewise, if you're out of shape and talentless, you'll get absolutely no look.

There's stereotypes for all body types. If you're a little fat guy, you'll get no shot, except as a comedy character even if you can do a corkscrew moonsault like American Balloon. If you're bigger and sort of fat, but talented and athletic, like Umaga or Dusty Rhodes, you damn well better be the best otherwise, you won't get a shot. If you're big and bulky, you don't have to be real talented, but you need talent, or else you just look like another failed body builder turned pro wrestler for a quick buck. If you're smaller and athletic, doing a bunch of flips won't get you anywhere, because all small guys are flippy.

Bottom line I guess is that you have to stand out. There are some impossibilities, you can't be a 5'3" 130 pound pale, muscle-less wrestler and expect to get anywhere, it's just not possible to be taken seriously.

If I had to do proportions, here's how it'd go (based on % of the successful wrestlers)

Bodybuilder/impressive physique (from Batista down to probably Morrison): 40%

Athletic, but still bigger than average (early HBK-Shelton Benjamin): 30%

Smaller, athletic, spotty, but with the "it" factor (London, AJ Styles): 15%

"Fat" but still quick and athletic for their size (big show, Umaga, Rhodes): 10%

Fat, not really athletic at all, just big (Viscera): 5%

Chances of success are easier for certain groups, but to truly succeed, you just need to stand out, it gets harder to stand out for which ever group you're in.

Probably Umaga is the best example he is way over with the fans and he doesn't have at all a great body, he is quick and can do almost anything, you wouldn't see a guy like Mark Henry do a Double Samoan Drop or be so quick as Umaga is.

He carried the RAW Elimination Chamber at No Way Out, he is amazing in the ring and doesn't have a "great body", of course with his gimmick he didn't had to.

The wrestler that should come back to the WWE should be Bobby Lashley. Hes has like the bigest muscles i have ver seen and he is fast and fit. Lashley could take down umaaga any day. But since hes not here Id agree with Maluco that umaaga is a great athlete and is fast even if he isnt in the best of shape. Well if wrestling wasnt fake like a show/entertainment Lashley would still be here today.

I think a prime example of no being fit and still being a good wrestler would be samoa joe. Joe is a big dude no doubt, but he still runs and still flys around the ring like no one's buisness. Some people might think he's a shit wrestler because he's bigger but if you whatch more of his bigger matches he sort of tends to step it up.

I think that wrestlers get a bad rep when there out of shap because alot of promotons like to have the big guys ie: big daddy v mark henry just pounce around the ring on people and imo they look like shit.

Another point here IS wrestiling today focuses to much on being tall and big, because who really wants to se a 5'6 110 pound dude go around fighting people it just dosent have the same kind of doom affect with people as a 6'9 guy who weighs 350 400 pounds.

It's easier to get noticed in wrestling if you're big and ripped. However, I think it's changing, when I look at the WWE, guys are smaller, less roided than ever before, when I look on the indy scene, they're less roided than before.

I saw Chris Masters at a recent indy show, he was still big, but not anywhere near as big or ripped, so I'm guessing he's off the juice.

My personal feelings is that Looks doesn't matter as much on the indy circut. It's a more intimate and first hand experience at and indy show that you usually won't exactly feel when you go to a huge stadium show with tens of thousands more people. You feel more in touch with the wrestlers in all aspects of their characters as a whole, and that's somethin you may not feel when you're 25 rows up in a huge stadium. So when it all comes around, you want something good to look at when you're watching way up high or on tv, and that's what they provide. Wrestling has become more about the visual then then say promo skills or raw talent, and when your face is on that camera, if you don't look good, they think they're not makin money, unless you're extremely talented and make up for the lack of the "look"

Yeah because you cant just throw any old superstar in the ring as heel or a babyface, the superstars have to look the part and perform how the part is needed to perform if he is a heel he has to perform dirty moves and also taunt the crowd during there matches

The biggest draw in Wrestling in Hogan wouldn't get a job in todays WWE. You don't need a body, It just gives the little kids the belief factor. Notice how all the good wrestlers don't have bodies?

The best in WWE are not all juiced up roid heads. I think Vince needs to take a few notes.

While I believe that having a good body is a benefit in wrestling it doesn't always help in belief. When you see a muscular wrestler that can’t wrestle their way out of a paper bag the belief factor drops. I think even little kids begin to realize the wrestlers ineptitude.

Having a big body is not the best thing when it comes to movement either; the bigger you are, the less agile and flexible you are, which leads to crappy matches and more injuries.

Now the truth is completely opposite to what happens in the wrestling world (or until the recent signature pharmacy scandal at least). Wrestlers usually get bigger breaks because they have bulging biceps and pectoral muscles. The muscles generate the so-called "look" and "believability factor"(at least for a little bit before they are found out to be bad wrestlers) and so the bigger 6'1+ wrestlers are pushed more than the 6'0- wrestlers. A great example of this is Batista. The man is incapable of putting on a good match except when he is carried by the very best, he has little to no charisma, and he is just overall boring. But since he is 6'5 260+ pounds of muscle he is pushed relentlessly as a monster and given the belt.

Of course there have been good and even great wrestlers with big muscular bodies, such as Brock Lesnar and HHH, but these are in short supply.

Now when it comes down to a wrestler with more body fat than muscle, or who is mostly just lean, they are usually just used as jobbers, or cruiser weights (same thing now a days). No matter how good they are they are always used as jobbers when put into a match with a bigger wrestler. The only way wrestlers who are in less shape (now a days as i am aware they were champions i the past) get a push is if they are around 7 feet in height. Look at big daddy v, the man is terrible in the ring but he’s tall and morbidly obese, slap on a monster gimmick, and presto success.

Now there are some some examples that are in stark contrast to this such as Umaga and Samoa Joe, but that is because they are so talented for men of their sizes and overall that they are just impossible to ignore. Plus Joe really made it big on the Indy circuit and TNA brought him in when they were pretty much one and he became recognized when they got a big TV deal, so basically you can say that that’s the reason for his success but that’s really debatable.

so basically i don't think it is necessary to have a fit looking body to be a professional wrestler, but i think it is a very good benefit.

In general I would say no but in WWE for the most part I believe you need to look like a superhero to really get anywhere that has always been a big love Of vince. He loves big guys in general so guys like Mark Henry, Big Show,Umaga they are gonna get there pushes for what each brings in there unique way. But other than that its no secret the bodybuilder like body is what the WWE likes to see in there athletes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back