Do the Pro/Rookie Tag Team Matches do anything?

The Vintage One

Occasional Pre-Show
Every week on NXT there seems to be a rookie/pro tag team match. And usually in each match the pros do most of the wrestling, and seem to do really nothing for the rookies.

Last week on NXT, Husky Harris provided little to the match at all, and it was mainly Cody Rhodes doing the work, and these matches don't let the rookies get enough ring time, because usually these rookies don't wrestle twice in a row, and it can hurt them come poll time.

So the question is simple: Do you feel the pro rookies tag matches are a good idea?

Sure. I mean, look at this in kayfabe. The pros are supposed to be good in the ring, whereas the rookies are unseasoned. The reason rookies get little ring time in these matches is so they can kayfabe watch how the pros do it and imitate them. Then, the pros let them take over to see what they've learned. It's a form of leading by example.

Plus, I think it's also a nice present to us, giving us a match between two polished wrestlers, with the green rookies kept to a minimum. ;)

Sure. I mean, look at this in kayfabe. The pros are supposed to be good in the ring, whereas the rookies are unseasoned. The reason rookies get little ring time in these matches is so they can kayfabe watch how the pros do it and imitate them. Then, the pros let them take over to see what they've learned. It's a form of leading by example.

Plus, I think it's also a nice present to us, giving us a match between two polished wrestlers, with the green rookies kept to a minimum. ;)

I mean the main reason I think the WWE does this is to help with the ratings a little bit, but let the rookies get more ring time, I mean it is their show, the pros are there to help them through it, not wrestle the majority of the match. I haven't seen a rookie/pro tag match have the rookie get the winning pinfall, whether it is on the other rookie or even a pro.

The WWE needs to get these guys to shine, and give them the ring time they deserve. It is NXT not Raw or Smackdown.

I haven't seen a rookie/pro tag match have the rookie get the winning pinfall, whether it is on the other rookie or even a pro.

Justin Gabriel pinned William Regal in a rookie/pro tag match in season 1, and held onto the claim of being the first rookie to pin a pro.

I agree with the general point of this thread, but the cross tag matches are supposed to offer the rookies a chance to compete with the pros, while still being able to learn from their own. If a rookie clean pins a pro, the pro looks bad, but if it's in a tag match it's more understandable, and neither's reputation is too damaged. Personally, I'd rather see more ring time with just the rookies, but the cross matches do make sense, and in theory help (while in practice, they're about 5 mins and a waste of time).

Well, someone needs to be the ring general in there. Look, when you're dealing with rookies as green as duckshit, you're not going to know exactly what they're capable of, in terms of guiding the match. They have to make sure the important components of the match are in place, that there's equal offense, that the pacing is good, and all of this is done in time for the television factor. Adding that this watched by millions of people, and that's bound to make a rookie nervous.

The matches serve no other purpose but to have ring generals that are able to command the ring, and place the match into capable hands. Someone needs to guide the ebb and flow, and usually, it's going to have to be the veteran. That's why, for the record, they can afford to put Kaval with Lay-Cool. He can already play the role of a ring general without needing a pro to back him up. All of the othe rookies aren't used to having to play that role, so for them, they need someone in the ring who knows how to gear the match.

Nothing more than that, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back