Do the PPVs Need to be Given Titles Long in Advance?

Thriller Ant

Beep Bop Boop
The past year or so, we've seen numerous WWE pay-per-views either change their names, be dropped or become conceptualized. Bragging Rights, Hell in a Cell, Elimination Chamber, Over the Limit, Fatal 4-Way, etc. Now, we all know there are some PPVs that are untouchable as far as changes go, those as of right now being Night of Champions, Extreme Rules, Royal Rumble, Summerslam, Survivor Series, and WrestleMania.

The basis for my argument, before I actually state exactly what I'm asking, is this: Ring of Honor. Yes, the main indy company in the U.S. Besides their main shows (Glory by Honor, Final Battle, Death Before Dishonor, etc.), they name the show based on a major story in it. Kenny Omega challenges for the title? Call the show "The Omega Effect." Have tag team partners fighting? "Bitter Friends, Stiffer Enemies" You get the idea.

So what I ask, is would this work in WWE for the random PPVs? Could situational names for PPVs still get buys?

I don't see why not. It was how it went during the In Your House era of PPV's. And some of the names weren't too bad either, as in Rock Bottom, Unforgiven (which turned into a regular name), and I believe one may have been "A Cold Day In Hell" (although don't take my word for that. Hell, ROH probably ripped off WWE's Good Friends, Better Enemies. The only problem with it is you would have to name the PPV's with the storylines occuring at the time, and tickets can sell months in advance at times, so you may end up slightly spoiling storylines. Plus people might look at PPV titles at indicators of what to expect (Backlash, Extreme Rules, Lockdown), and not naming them before tickets are bought could ruin that aspect and take away interest. But, other than that, there isn't much of a prblem with it, although those may be two huge problems, looking at it. I'd say it's best to stick with the current formula, you know. The whole if it ain't broke don't fix it thing, right? But, I guess it wouldn't kill to try it. It'd be interesting.

The name of the PPV does not matter. You could call it Two Guys, a Zebra, and a Belt, and the people will buy it if the card is worth it. All that matters are the matches, the stories, and the performers. As long as those are good enough, the people will open their wallets.

For WWE, the storylines would need to be scripted in the particular direction six months in advance, trademarks be purchased, promotional web content/print ads/tv spots be sent out to all the papers/magazines/cable & sattelite providers in advanced..

The whole question of the advance promotion could be easily avoided using the In Your House concept though, they could book everything in advance using the In Your House name and announce the subtitle when the appropriate storyline develops.

i feel that they should keep each months ppv the same name. and every june when things tend to die down throw a type mtch like MITB or F4W for instance hell in a cell should always be in oct and they can nva get rid of SSeries and i mean Backlash just sounds nasty

When the WWE used to do IYH PPVs, a lot of names they came up with somehow had to do something with the show (mostly the main event). A lot of the IYH (mainly from the Attitude era) had some of the names stick around until now where they have theme-based PPVs where the PPV name is painfully obvious. Long story short, coming up with names for new PPVs do take some time, but if they are to be used for the next several years then it's not really much of an issue once it has been created.

Personally I'm not huge on PPV names, I'd much rather see WWE take the UFC/Boxing approach and have the big 4, and the lower PPV's been caled like Unforgiven, Money in the Bank, but say hell in a cell call that Orton Vs Edge III in regards to PPV matches. or Cena Vs Barrett to really push that one match, and for other PPV's have a mix of match based names and small show ppv names.

That would be a bad idea.

lets say John Cena is going for the title, call the paperview Attitude Adjustment

but if he gets injured, would they change the name at the last minute, or just leave it as it is

WWE did this...under the IYO ppvs...bak from 95-99...such as Rock Bottom, Canadian Stampede, Break Down, Judgement Day...

The thing is wwe donreally need to do that anymore..because they are really big company...

What the poster above said, makes good sense aswell..such as Attitude Adjustment...but lets be honest even if it was back in the IYH days, they would never call a ppv a finishing move??? would they???

no, unfortunately there needs to be some type of solid stability with the ppv name, cause remember we are paying almost 50 bucks a shot for each. Even though there are a lot of new concepts this year there just changing the format for more revenue. These theme ppv names will more likely stick and you no what to expect from each event. if u like tlc matches you will buy tlc. you like money in the bank, guess what.... you got a whole ppv. you like inter promotional matches then there's bragging rights, etc, etc. if you have random names base off 1 month fueds it brings no creditability to the table and hard to market

The name of the PPV does not matter. You could call it Two Guys, a Zebra, and a Belt, and the people will buy it if the card is worth it. All that matters are the matches, the stories, and the performers. As long as those are good enough, the people will open their wallets.

I couldn't agree more. I would want to watch Wrestlemania if it was called "Hardcore Sexcore Talkcore Wrestlingcore". The quality of a PPV should be focused on a matchcard, not the name. I hate the gimmick-themed names for the Pay-Per-Views now, but I am fond of the In Your House Series of Pay-Per-Views, I mean, why not bring it back? Anything but this series of crap gimmick PPVs.

WWE did this...under the IYO ppvs...bak from 95-99...such as Rock Bottom, Canadian Stampede, Break Down, Judgement Day...

The thing is wwe donreally need to do that anymore..because they are really big company...

What the poster above said, makes good sense aswell..such as Attitude Adjustment...but lets be honest even if it was back in the IYH days, they would never call a ppv a finishing move??? would they???

They did call a PPV after a finishing move, you have already mentioned it in your post mate.

There was the PPV called Rock Bottom. If i remember, it had huge hanging pictures of The Rock as part of the stage design didnt it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back