• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do Domestic Abuse Victims Like The Attention?

Y 2 Jake

Slightly Autistic
I'm not the most compassionate person at the best of times, so if you are one of those people who get's beaten by your partner then leave them. I'm probably unsympathetic because of all the women I've ever met, all of them would have hit me straight back had I laid a hand on them. Also if a partner ever hit me I'd give it straight back. All sexes equal, etc.

So simple question, do they like the attention? In a relationship it's inevitable at some point that sex will dry up, you'll lose intrest for a while, and the relationship won't be how it was in the beginning. The closeness will be gone, as will the spark. You might regain it, you might not. But there's one way to stay lose to your partner and to still get physical contact, to know you're at the forefront of their mind, and that's a slight kicking. Discuss.

I'm simply assuming this was done for shock value, because no one could be stupid enough to think this. Victims of domestic violence don't leave for many reasons, but I assure you none of these are "they like the attention". Often they feel too afraid to, they feel weak, they don't have the money, they have no where to go, etc. Domestic abuse isn't simply about Physical abuse. A majority of the time the larger problem is the emotional abuse suffered. Those who carry out violence on a partmer are often jealous, and slowly work to cut the partner off from those closest, so that they are totally dependant on them, and have now here to go even if they could leave.

I just think if anyone saw the slighest bit of abuse by their partner, then they'd leave. No-one is that self dependant that they'd rely on their partner for anything, unless they were either mentally or phyically disabled to begin with. I mean, if they had any sense then they'd leave straight away. If they're scared, go to their family and let them sort it out. They can get in contact with proper people who can deal with the situation. I don't see them liking the attention though, because the price they suffer for it wouldn't be worth it. It fucks them up in the head, and that could have life long implications.

If victims liked the attention, I imagine more than a small fraction of spousal abuses would get reported. Most people stay and never say anything about it.
If you have no support system, or are embarrassed to tell your family or friends about your situation you probably feel pretty alienated and like you have no where to go anyways. If you have children and can't afford to support them on your own, you will stay just to keep their quality of life up, even if yours is terrible. Putting your children before yourself is part of being a parent.
There are a lot of very complex reasons so many women (and men) stay. There's fear that the spouse will find you and retaliate. There's fear that you won't be able to support yourself or any children you have, there's the whole stigma attached to being beaten and so you don't want to tell anyone, and on top of all that you probably still love your abuser as silly as that sounds. Most women try to leave 5 times before they actually succeed.
By the time it's escalated to physical abuse, you've probably already undergone a lot of emotional wearing down. You probably have zero self worth left and have been brainwashed to believe you're useless and that no one else will ever love you. You've probably been threatened multiple times that if you ever leave he will harm you or your new partner, or even your children.
I can't believe anyone would imply it's done for attention. You can't just "leave"; nothing is that black and white or simple.

I just think if anyone saw the slighest bit of abuse by their partner, then they'd leave. No-one is that self dependant that they'd rely on their partner for anything, unless they were either mentally or phyically disabled to begin with. I mean, if they had any sense then they'd leave straight away. If they're scared, go to their family and let them sort it out. They can get in contact with proper people who can deal with the situation. I don't see them liking the attention though, because the price they suffer for it wouldn't be worth it. It fucks them up in the head, and that could have life long implications.

Wow...talk about an ignorant comment...where do I begin??

I just think if anyone saw the slighest bit of abuse by their partner, then they'd leave.

Now, you would THINK so, wouldn't you? That, sadly, just is not the case. Which is why so many cases go unreported... There are SO many factors that come into play, that's not something which can be assumed.

No-one is that self dependent that they'd rely on their partner for anything, unless they were either mentally or physically disabled to begin with.

Apparently, you have no idea what goes on inside a "controlling" relationship. Alot of abusive relationships might not even be physically abusive, it just involves having "control" over somebody. Whether it be mental abuse or controlling finances, to controlling who they see/speak to, where they go, when they go, etc. Some people really don't possess the willpower to actually leave a relationship like this. It's a kind of brainwashing, so to speak... They are made to believe that nobody else will want them. Nobody else cares about them. Hell, most of the time, they truly believe what they're being told... That's why it becomes so hard for people to leave these relationships.

If they're scared, go to their family and let them sort it out. They can get in contact with proper people who can deal with the situation.

Alot of times, fear is what prevents them from going to someone with the problem in the first place. Same reason alot of crime witnesses refuse to come forward... "What if he DOESN'T go to jail?" "What if I can't prove the abuse?" I've worked with women who've been in relationships like this. Some of them have reported the abuse, yet the guy remained free... and beat them within inches of their lives for speaking up. You've got to see it, before you can judge it my friend... Now, I'm not saying that every case is similar, but in most cases, family won't even provide support for these people. They feel that they've done just about all they can to help and be supportive, but you reach a point where you just can't take it anymore.

Now, as to the point of this thread, there are SOME women who are attention ****es when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm not saying that abuse is ok, but alot of women can/will provoke someone into hitting them or something and will bask in the attention for all they can get from it. My ex (whom I've posted ALOT about) was this way. Except I'd never hit her. She'd get upset and cry and scream and get attention, and make it seem like I hurt her in some way. She LOVED when people would come running over and ask her if she was ok. She'd turn and smirk at me like she'd accomplished something... So, on the one side, I agree with him. On the other hand, the circumstances very from case to case, so I can't really say for sure that it runs rampant...

No, they do not like the attention. Many are ashamed, and will do anything to hide their scars and bruises.

And if some do, it is because those victims aren't victims but the abuser, manipulating the situation.

A victim does not like attention. The abuser likes it; that is why s/he abuses.

In terms of your initial post, Jake, in regard to the closeness going away, the spark going away, the love going away and all that is left is the physical violence, [if I am reading and understanding that right, and I may not be] I am disturbed and frightened of such thoughts. If a relationship has reached such a level, then end it. If there is no abuse but the relationship lacks everything else, find someone else. It's the rational thing to do!

You sound jaded and scarred when it comes to relationships. You sound bitter and, indeed, as you say, unsympathetic. What is worse is that you sound like an abuser yourself. Not all women are the way your exes have been. Not all relationships end in heart-break or badly. And women do not deserve to be hit, even if they hit you -- the equality of the sexes is bullshit in regards to physicality. In most cases, the man is bigger and stronger than the woman, and can inflict far more damage even with a hand than she can with her hand. If she's got a knife, then, yes, watch out, run, shout, disarm as needed, etc. But what's a slap from a chick, seriously? It hurts the ego more than it hurts the part being hit.

And with abusive relationships (much like with all worldly problems) it is the ego that is the driving force and the problem. To an abuser, everything that the victim does is wrong. Regardless of the sex of the abuser, the victim is seen as worthless and pathetic -- the egoism of the abuser inflates and s/he thinks that s/he is far, far above the victim. Abuse is about control, power, insecurity. Often times the abuser was also a victim at one point, and seeks a way to lash out because all the pain has nowhere else to go after being kept inside so long. Of course it is also possible than the abuser is just an egomaniac and a sadist, but those cases are rare (though probably not as rare as they should be).

Abuse also manifests in many different forms in a relationship. Certainly physical, but there is also the emotional aspect. The abuser does not have to raise a hand to the victim and merely has to berate him/her enough so that the victim no longer likes him/herself and strives to please the abuser because that's the only way compliments will be gotten. The abuser likes the control -- over where the victim goes, who s/he speaks to, knowing where the victim is at all times, etc -- and likes the power. It's justifiable because the abuser sees him/herself as so high and mighty, and does not see the victim as a human being but rather as property.

When a relationship reaches this level, when one person no longer sees the other as a person, it is gone very, very wrong and should be stopped. The emotional damage is also what forces and causes many victims to remain in the abusive relationship -- the bleak hope that maybe the abuser will one day change.

It takes tremendous courage to leave an abuser, to end an abusive relationship -- to literally stand up and say 'No more!' into the face of someone who has zero issues with [possibly] taking a knife to 'your' throat or dangling 'your' children as a bargaining chip to keep 'you' in line. Victims are not victims, are not people to an abuser. They are (again) mere property, to be tossed aside at the will of the abuser.

Many victims hope that it will end and that this time will be the last -- it never is. Many victims live in fear, they have been "trained" to live that way, and for them life is utter hell. It's the never-coming hope of change, the empty promise of "I will never do it again, I swear," the need and dependence on the abuser -- the victim is often cut off from anyone else as a result of the control and power exercised that the abuser and that world is all the victim knows -- that keeps the victims there.

So, no -- they do not like the attention. Domestic violence is not glorified, it is ignored, and wrongly so. Friends may see the signs of abuse, but say nothing because it is taboo, because to interfere in the familial affairs of another is not "our place." And all the while, while you're trying to find the right words, your friend is trying to find a way to survive. It's deplorable how isolated we have become that we will not stop what can plainly be seen before and with our very eyes. Johnny hits a good point, that often times the abusers turn it around on the victim and get the law enforcement on their side through manipulation. Also, sometimes the domestic quarrel is ignored or written off, only for the consequences to come too late.

Many abusers, when they find out that the victim has rebelled, beat the victim within inches of life to remind them who is in control and what happens when s/he tries to get help, tries to get out of the relationship, tries to leave and end the nightmare. Would any of you have the courage to call 9-1-1 again after being chained in a basement for a month, tortured on a regular basis to within an inch of your life? Your logical, rational mind right now says 'Yes,' but until you've experienced it, or seen the results of such an act, do not be so quick to answer.

If any form of abuse shows in any relationship, that relationship must be terminated immediately. If a partner puts his/her hands on you when it's unwarranted, tell them to fuck themselves and leave them. No one deserves to be abused, regardless of gender. That's where equality of gender comes in -- in the right not to be hit, not in the right to hit back.

Both victim and abuser need serious, serious help. There is counseling available out there for both. It takes a lot of inner work to fix the problem, and it takes a lot of courage to own up to the fact that you've been victimized or that you're an abuser. A lot of courage. Often times the victims are just too exhausted from the abuse and too weak within themselves to reach out for help. But those that do often times go on to escape and find happiness and peace.

If this was posted for shock value, please get a better sense of humor. I doubt that it was, however. I urge you to get help from anyone you can, and look within yourself to try and work out the issues you've got that have lead you to post this (and the very fact that this post exists screams 'attention,' and is a telltale of the issues inside of you).

I think most of the posters in this thread are a tad neive to how fucking weird some people are. Ive known girls myself who most CERTAINLEY enjoyed the attention and dramatics of being surrounded by fucked up conditions, and would in more than an instant be more than happy to take a stiff shot so they could go tell someone about it. There truly ARE some people who merely enjoy the attention, and the pity of others, in dramatic situations. I wouldnt be the least bit suprised to find out things like this have existed, and been diagnosed. I think I probably know some.

People don't appear to have noticed that the title of the thread is DO Domestic Abuse Victims Like The Attention? Not I THINK. Although I might have purposely left the thread incomplete, I do that sometimes. I got the idea off a doctor on Channel 4 who made the suggestion by the way.

It's doubtful that the men & women in those situations like getting punched and kicked. Altough you're naive if you think some don't. I'm simply on about attention. Everybody loves it. Why do people perform on stage, wear skimpy clothes, drink a lot to impress their friends, etc?

People don't appear to have noticed that the title of the thread is DO Domestic Abuse Victims Like The Attention? Not I THINK. Although I might have purposely left the thread incomplete, I do that sometimes. I got the idea off a doctor on Channel 4 who made the suggestion by the way.

It's doubtful that the men & women in those situations like getting punched and kicked. Altough you're naive if you think some don't. I'm simply on about attention. Everybody loves it. Why do people perform on stage, wear skimpy clothes, drink a lot to impress their friends, etc?

The difference being they choose to do all of those things. They WANT that attention. But I don't think they want to be beaten badly by the person who's supposed to love them more than anything. It's completely different.

Anyway, silly Channel 4 doctors. While there probably has been a case of this at some point, I don't think I'd give them the title 'Victims'. 99.99% of the people who have been subjected to Domestic Violence don't want attention - most don't even tell anyone about it.

I can't answer this question. Part of me wants to say yes. because I know an awful lot of people who stay with their partner even though they bash them nonstop because they claim to "love them" Most of the girls i know in this boat come from a long and hard life growing up getting bullied and not having anybody care for them. So when they finally get somebody, even if they bash them they feel safe in a sense because they think to themselves *he is bashing me and nobody else, therefore he loves me*.

But i honestly can't answer it properly because i am not one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back