Disc Golf Discussion

smizzy

Doubt it, bud.
My sister's boyfriend introduced me to this sport around two months ago and I quickly fell in love with it. I've been going to our local courses, Capaha Park and Cape County, about five days of the week to throw a round. It's quite popular in my area, we have public league and there's also tons of guys from my school playing as well.

If you're unfamiliar, this will give you a basic idea of how it's played:
[YOUTUBE]lOXGAheHU3E[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone else here enjoy the sport?

My sister's boyfriend introduced me to this sport around two months ago and I quickly fell in love with it. I've been going to our local courses, Capaha Park and Cape County, about five days of the week to throw a round. It's quite popular in my area, we have public league and there's also tons of guys from my school playing as well.

If you're unfamiliar, this will give you a basic idea of how it's played:
[YOUTUBE]lOXGAheHU3E[/YOUTUBE]

Anyone else here enjoy the sport?

Yes, despite being fucking terrible at it, I love this sport, obviously it's much more fun when you got friends to play with, but even if you can't find somebody us willing to play with, you can easily just go out & throw around by yourself. I've found it's a really good way to let off some steam, especially after a shitty day, or week. Also helps that my local course is free to.

I always called it frisbee golf. Same thing. The real players play with what are really discs anyways, though I learned with an actual frisbee. It is really fun to do, but it's hard. Mastering a disc or even a frisbee throw that consistently isn't easy to do for an amateur. Also, it's hard to find courses sometimes as it's not that popular, or I should say known, of a sport. I was usually thankful there were plenty of trees on the course I played with as it would often stop my errant throws.

Yes, despite being fucking terrible at it, I love this sport, obviously it's much more fun when you got friends to play with, but even if you can't find somebody us willing to play with, you can easily just go out & throw around by yourself. I've found it's a really good way to let off some steam, especially after a shitty day, or week. Also helps that my local course is free to.

Free is always great. The two nearest courses to me are both free although the superior of the two will become a pay to play course following its completion. It currently has 12 holes but will be an 18 hole course by spring. I usually play as a group, but it is relaxing to go out by myself sometime and just shoot a few holes at my own pace.

I always called it frisbee golf. Same thing. The real players play with what are really discs anyways, though I learned with an actual frisbee. It is really fun to do, but it's hard. Mastering a disc or even a frisbee throw that consistently isn't easy to do for an amateur. Also, it's hard to find courses sometimes as it's not that popular, or I should say known, of a sport. I was usually thankful there were plenty of trees on the course I played with as it would often stop my errant throws.

I was calling it frisbee golf myself until some self-proclaimed professional player refused to acknowledge it by frisbee golf when I was attempting conversation with him...
Trees are Godsends at times and bastards at other times. It's a lot easier to get a disc stuck in branches than I'd imagined and it's quite the chore to get one out depending on how high up you get it stuck.

Holy God, how did I miss this thread????

I'm pretty into the sport, to say the least. I started a business last year creating disc dyes (various artwork on discs, PM me and I'll send you a link to my business page and some of my other work.) I'm running a tournament next weekend, creating tee signs for a new course, and just got finished with a batch of 25 discs for a shop that I design for. (Marshall Street Disc Golf, cheapest prices in the business.)

I live in Central Massachusetts, where the sport is absolutely blowing up right now. There are currently twelve courses within a half hour drive of me, including Maple Hill, site of the Vibram Open (a have-to-play for pros who want to be considered for National Tour Champion.) Three more are in development and scheduled to open next year. My bag has about 20 discs in it at any given time- a lot of those are dyes that I advertise while I'm playing, but I play a very technical game where I probably use 16-17 of those discs in a given round.

To say I'm big on the sport would be a drastic understatement. I spent today listening to a live broadcast of the USDGC while I was dyeing discs. Here's one of my recent works:

-5367009614690877183_1.jpg

I'm pretty into the sport, to say the least. I started a business last year creating disc dyes (various artwork on discs, PM me and I'll send you a link to my business page and some of my other work.) I'm running a tournament next weekend, creating tee signs for a new course, and just got finished with a batch of 25 discs for a shop that I design for. (Marshall Street Disc Golf, cheapest prices in the business.)

Wow! I had to check out their site. I'm looking at buying a Discraft Comet and compared it to the prices at some local stores and other online shops. Same model was going for 12.99 on Marshall Street compared to 14.99 on average on the other sources. Gonna give them some business and I'll PM you and check out your other work, cause I may give you some as well.

My bag has about 20 discs in it at any given time- a lot of those are dyes that I advertise while I'm playing, but I play a very technical game where I probably use 16-17 of those discs in a given round.

There are a couple guys in particular that are quite technical like you described. It just so happens that they are leading A-League down here by a large margin. I on the other hand have been playing with a very basic set: three drivers, a mid-range, a putter. Again, I'm only now exploring all of the other options, but my primary drivers are an Innova Champion Sidewinder and an Innova X-Out. I got the X-Out in a used bin a shop here and it's been great. I've circulated through quite a few drivers that I've got in the used bin. It's really a treasure chest because most of the discs are barely used or scuffed and they are generally $5 bucks.

I am a right-handed, forehand player only. My backhand hasn't developed, but on certain holes, it kills me because the basket is behind a patch of trees to my left that I have to fade the disc to the left to reach . But recently I bought a Discraft Glide that's understable that has fixed that problem. I'm only now learning all of the terms and what the discs are/do.

Anyway, Rayne, I will PM you shortly. I'm pretty interested to see your business page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back