• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DirecTv could sever ties with WWE PPVs due to network announcement

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
2014 will see WWE adhere to their PPV calendar but I feel in 2015 we will see the PPV's drop dramatically. Why? Well why would WWE run a PPV when they are already guaranteed $10 a month?

In truth, I have no issue with this whatsoever. The positives are stories can be told for longer and the pay off can actually mean something if time is spent correctly.

Also, some of these PPV's are just glorfied episodes of Raw so I have no issue whatsoever if they cut it down to 6 and instead have a 'Saturday Night Main Event' every so often instead...

Finally, I am a firm believer that the Rumble could sell out a stadium if the correct City is chosen. That means more gate receipts. I think in time, with the smaller amount of shows and good booking/strong card you could also see maybe Summerslam sell out a stadium.

JAN/FEB - Royal Rumble
MAR/APR - Wrestlemania
MAY/JUN - Money In The Bank
JUL/AUG - Summerslam
SEP/OCT - Elimination Chamber
NOV/DEC - Survivor Series

The MASSIVE advantage of these PPV's airing on a WWE Subscription based Network is international PPV's. Buy rates will no longer be hit. The launch of the WWE Network here in the UK will probably see a PPV event being held at the same time. Wembley would sell out 90,000 no problem at all.

What do you see as the future of WWE PPV's?

Are you just looking for a reason the WWE network will fail? They ask for a six month commitment and that's not much more than the price of a PPV. Line your six months with Mania and it more than pays for itself. So far there are no downsides. I'm sure they were expecting this. I'm sure PPV providers have been gouging people that needed them in the past.

Here's what will happen if DirecTV decides to play hardball with WWE this. WWE will tell them they can go ahead and stop carrying their events. DirecTV customers now have no choice but to sign up to The Network if they want to watch PPVs, which is what WWE wants in the long run. Sure, their bottom line will take a hit but they're expecting that and it just makes the Network look like a more appealing prospect. If DirecTV try this, they will just lose money to WWE. Especially considering that if they do, WWE will probably offer a short-term discount on the Network to DirecTV customers (for the first 6/12 months only, obviously).

If DirecTV follow through on this, they will lose money and get quite a bit of bad press while WWE laughs its way to the bank. They cannot win in this situation.

I get it from the looks of things it seems like WWE will lose business partnerships and money on PPV revenue, and possibly DVD sales could falter but look at the bigger picture here if there are only 800,000 to 1.1 million ppv buys at 60 bucks a pop, doesn't more revenue get gained by getting 5 million people to come watch it on the WWE network at 10 a pop? I mean think about it one month revenue from the WWE network could potentially triple ppv numbers in terms of dollars, on top of that the skeptical ones about the network will still pay 60 dollars like sheep just because they don't like change. I personally plan on buying in I rather spend 120 dollars in one year to have any WWE content I want at my fingertips. Think of this most of the PPV revenue is lost on people trying to free stream ppv on the net, so I think WWE did the best thing to combat against this. "We'll give them the ppvs and all the content they could ask for all we want is 10 dollars a household" Personally pure genius

Man can we just get a thread that combines all this garbage together? It seems like everyone is just trying to find something to discredit something "positive" that is happening. Moderators, do something with this please.

WWE is going to make a good profit off of this and you all will deal with it.

Lets see here,55.00 for WM or 9.99 a month with a six commitment,that includes WM. Also with thee network you get past Raaws,Smackdowns,Sunday night Heat,Superstars (Which I havent seen in twenty years) plus NXT,Reality Shows,and Legends House!! I am not sure about 2015 if it will include WM or not but if not im sure you will be able to see it the next day.

The network will succeed. People will always look for a reason to pick it apart,like i dont wanna pay for a six month commitment but its a great deal if you think about it.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...etwork-20140109,0,2707112.story#axzz2pyaFl0Gj

Satellite broadcaster DirecTV is less than thrilled with the WWE's plans to launch an online network and said it will have to rethink its relationship with the programmer and whether it will continue to offer its pay-per-view specials.

As a DTV subscriber, this is definitely going to make me rethink getting the network, especially if they decide to sever ties before WM30, which I was going to buy. I doubt this happens that quickly though.

Plus DTV would be alienating a high number of people who simply can't get the network on a device, gaming console or a smart tv with the app. But are still willing to shell out the 60-70 bucks per PPV.

I believe that eventually the WWE will only have WM for a PPV! All the other 11 will be carried by the network. If some 300,000 but PPVs at 45.00 a pop,but on the network they can get lets say 5 million people to watch their PPVs at ten a pop,they will make more money in the long run. Its all about overhead,they wont have to share the cost of the PPV with any satellite companies or cables companies. The only thing that will come out of WWEs pocket is maintenance thats about it..

I cant wait to be honest!! WM included on the network not a bad deal

DirecTV is just pissed because they aren't going to get the kind of money they are used to from WWE ppv's. I highly doubt anything will materialize from this and if it does it won't last long. DTV gains absolutely nothing from severing ties with the WWE. Instead of getting less money from the ppv's they would be getting no money. This is just a poor attempt at a scare tactic.

I'm sure you're right BS. They'll still make a strong profit from those who can't get the network.

Lets see here,55.00 for WM or 9.99 a month with a six commitment,that includes WM. Also with thee network you get past Raaws,Smackdowns,Sunday night Heat,Superstars (Which I havent seen in twenty years) plus NXT,Reality Shows,and Legends House!! I am not sure about 2015 if it will include WM or not but if not im sure you will be able to see it the next day.

The network will succeed. People will always look for a reason to pick it apart,like i dont wanna pay for a six month commitment but its a great deal if you think about it.

So what about those people who can't get the network, but still want to shell out the dough for all the PPVs? People who can get the network seem to think every single die hard fan can, but many can't. Whether they don't have a laptop, an android device or a gaming system.

Just because YOU have access to it doesn't mean everyone else does. And DirecTv still has to take this into consideration.

No one is nitpicking anything. I certainly don't want it to fail, but I don't want DirecTv to take away that option for those people who would like to see a PPV on their tv without buying the network.

So what about those people who can't get the network, but still want to shell out the dough for all the PPVs?

It's safe to say that in 2014, anyone who doesn't have a PC, laptop, Xbox 360, XBox One, PS3, PS4, tablet or a smartphone, doesn't matter much to the WWE. If all you have is a TV and cable/satellite, then you just have to accept that you're going to get screwed out of a lot of content in life.

So what about those people who can't get the network, but still want to shell out the dough for all the PPVs? People who can get the network seem to think every single die hard fan can, but many can't. Whether they don't have a laptop, an android device or a gaming system.

Just because YOU have access to it doesn't mean everyone else does. And DirecTv still has to take this into consideration.

No one is nitpicking anything. I certainly don't want it to fail, but I don't want DirecTv to take away that option for those people who would like to see a PPV on their tv without buying the network.

Not everybody has DirecTv either. Far less people than who have cable and Dish Newtwork. The "lost revenue" would be significantly less than you're thinking.

No entertainment product is going to please everyone. You're always going to exclude somebody. Excluding the smallest segment is probably the best case scenario. If cable providers got together and started boycotting WWE ppvs, it would be a significantly bigger problem, and conversations to come up with a solution that works for all parties would have to happen.

It's called don't shoot the messenger. This literally popped up while reading another article today. I'm not looking for a reason for WWE Network to fail. Look, this seemed pretty important so I made it another thread.

Look, I personally just think DirectTV is just trying to strong arm the WWE like it does a lot of people.

Considering an article appeared on the site after I posted that, somebody thought it news worthy.

http://gigaom.com/2013/09/26/nearly-78-percent-of-american-homes-have-broadband/

Some of the numbers from this study:

- 78% of American homes have broadband Internet access
- 94% of American homes have an Internet connection
- less than 1% of American homes say broadband is not available in their area

Basically, anyone in the United States reading this or responding to this has the means to access the WWE Network (you're using one of those means right now). DirectTV threatening to pull WWE PPV content is not an issue to the WWE. Their fans will still be able to access the WWE Network and have access to any content DirectTV won't provide anymore.

2014 will see WWE adhere to their PPV calendar but I feel in 2015 we will see the PPV's drop dramatically. Why? Well why would WWE run a PPV when they are already guaranteed $10 a month?

Why? Because they are just like any other mega corporation. They are greedy. What they do they do for money, and they're going to want more money. The $10 a month is just another form of revenue for them to add to the merchandise sales, the pay per view income, tickets, and anything else the WWE and Vinnie Mac milk all their hard cash from.
In truth, I have no issue with this whatsoever. The positives are stories can be told for longer and the pay off can actually mean something if time is spent correctly.

Also, some of these PPV's are just glorfied episodes of Raw so I have no issue whatsoever if they cut it down to 6 and instead have a 'Saturday Night Main Event' every so often instead...

Finally, I am a firm believer that the Rumble could sell out a stadium if the correct City is chosen. That means more gate receipts. I think in time, with the smaller amount of shows and good booking/strong card you could also see maybe Summerslam sell out a stadium.

JAN/FEB - Royal Rumble
MAR/APR - Wrestlemania
MAY/JUN - Money In The Bank
JUL/AUG - Summerslam
SEP/OCT - Elimination Chamber
NOV/DEC - Survivor Series

The MASSIVE advantage of these PPV's airing on a WWE Subscription based Network is international PPV's. Buy rates will no longer be hit. The launch of the WWE Network here in the UK will probably see a PPV event being held at the same time. Wembley would sell out 90,000 no problem at all.

What do you see as the future of WWE PPV's?

I don't know I have always been more of a classic guy. I hate change, and I don't like the idea of WWE mixing things up yet again. Back whenever the brand split was still legit and they switched over from having separate pay per views to having joint ones, I hated the change. I was used to it though after a year or so and actually prefer it to the old way, so I suppose that like everything else after awhile we'll get used to it. Yet still I don't know I'm not too excited for this WWE Network or anything they plan to do with it, mostly because I have no plans of spending money on it. Now if it came with my package like NFL Network or MLB Network do then of course I'd be all for it, but I'm too cheap for any other alternatives.

Wrestling is the only reason I still have DirecTV. Once I found out the WWE Network will be showing Raw and Smackdown repeats on top of monthly PPV events, that was enough for me to cut the cord. So I won't need DTV anymore once the Network launches, anyway.

Wait, does the WWE network include WrestleMania? Every year?

What do you get for $10 a month?
B quality PPV's and the DVD library? Do you still have to pay extra for the Rumble and 'Mania? Those are the only high quality PPV's. If they're included in the $10 monthly fee, it's likely worth it.

The problem is... May through Dec content will suffer in terms of quality big time, because they'll have no incentive to make it great, while they'll have guaranteed $10 subscriptions from hundreds of thousands of fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back