• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Director #4: Takashi Miike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cena's Little Helper

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Takashi Miike
japan1.jpg

Showcase Description
The epitome of prolific, Takashi Miike has averaged more than 3 films a year since his first feature-length film debuted in 1995. But, being extremely productive is only one of Miike's claims to fame: with such films as Audition and Ichi The Killer, Miike anticipated the resurgence in popularity for ultra-violent horror that would come a couple of years later with the films of Rob Zombie, Alexandre Aja, and Eli Roth. Ultimately though, Miike differs from these men in that he restricts himself neither to one genre nor to medium-specific inspirations: Miike is a lover of all film, and art in general. If David Lynch, Haruki Murakami, and Ryu Murakami were able to create a child amongst themselves, then, in my opinion, it would be none other than Takashi Miike.

Selected Filmography
Fudoh: The New Generation (1996)
Full Metal Yakuza (1997)
Audition (1999)
Dead Or Alive (1999)
Dead Or Alive 2 (2000)
Visitor Q (2001)
Ichi The Killer (2001)
The Happiness Of The Katakuris (2001)
Dead Or Alive: Final (2002)
Gozu (2003)
One Missed Call (2003)
Waru (2006)
Sukiyaki Western Django (2008)

Showcase Outline

I. The (So-So) Masterpiece: Audition
II. A Sublime Exercise In Shock Cinema: Ichi The Killer
III. What Did I Just Watch?: Gozu

Audition (1999)

B0000640S9.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Synopsis: Shigeharu Aoyama (Ryo Ishibashi), an owner of a video production company, has been widowed for seven years. Given that he's almost of age and intends to start a life of his own, Aoyama's son, Shigehiko (Tetsu Sawaki), encourages his father to find a new companion. Taking his son's advice, Aoyama, with the help his colleague, Yoshikawa (Jun Kunimura), stages a casting session to "audition" potential partners. Among those women that partake in the casting session, Aoyama shows immediate interest in Asami Yamasaki (Eihi Shiina), a fragile-looking 24-year-old who claims to be an ex-dancer. Following his instincts, Aoyama decides to pursue Yamasaki. Quickly, Aoyama's initial intrigue turns into bewitchment, despite the facts that: a) Yoshikawa can verify none of Yamasaki's references, and b) Yamasaki lives in a dark apartment with nothing in it but a telephone and a big burlap sack that violently shakes from time to time.

Thoughts: Almost everyone familiar with Miike's work considers Audition to be his finest effort as a filmmaker. Moreover, it is a staple of the horror film canon, so every horror fanatic should see it to form their own opinion on the film. With that said, I found Audition to be a huge disappointment. My judgment rests on one reason specific to myself and another that pertains to Audition itself. Unfortunately, I can't seem to separate the one from the other. So, please take what I say here with a grain of salt, as my thoughts on Audition are definitely in the minority.

• A Personal Reason - My first foray into Miike's body of work was Ichi The Killer, a sick and twisted mindfuck of a film adapted from a popular manga with the same name (I'll review Ichi The Killer next). I like my horror, cult, and shock cinema very gory and morbid, so it was inevitable that I'd fall in love with Ichi The Killer and develop an overwhelming interest in everything else Miike had to offer. So, after Ichi The Killer, I next watched Visitor Q (which was less gory but no less demented) and, after Visitor Q, I watched Audition. Unfortunately for me, save for its climax, Audition was nothing like Ichi The Killer or Visitor Q. More than anything, I see Audition as a psychological thriller, mainly because of the horrific suggestions it makes about Yamasaki throughout the film that, by the film's end, all turn out to be true. So, I must admit here that part of my dislike for Audition comes from the fact that it failed to meet the expectations I had formed for Miike based off of Ichi The Killer. Moreover, I do realize that this implies that, assuming I liked psychological thrillers (which, to some extent, I do), I would have liked Audition more and Ichi The Killer less has I seen Audition first. But, even with this possible source of bias, I found Audition to have one major flaw.

• Audition's Pacing - Based off of what I had read about Audition before seeing it, I liked how the film opens. We are introduced to Aoyama, a sympathetically melancholy, middle-aged Japanese man who seems like a nice guy and whom we want to find happiness. But, after Aoyama begins his courtship with Yamasaki, things get somewhat confusing and, in effect, seem pointless. I respect a director's intentions to slowly build up a film, but, with Audition, it felt as if Miike just threw out a couple of ambiguities and then ran into the climax without any forethought of how it would connect with the rest of the film (yes, I did mention in the previous note how I thought of Audition as a psychological thriller and why I thought this, but I only came to this opinion after three viewings, with all subsequent viewings more boring than the previous). In my opinion, Audition ultimately lacked the suspense necessary for it to be effective. Sure, there were some suspenseful moments, but how they were interspersed throughout the film precluded them from building off of each other. Consequently, this inability to maintain suspense resulted in my feeling tense only sporadically rather than constantly and increasingly so.

Verdict: I look forward to reading the opinions others have in regards to Audition. As I said before, this is essential viewing for people that consider themselves horror buffs. For the most part, people love this film. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of Audition. But, do my thoughts on Audition's pacing and lack of suspense hold merit? Or, did my disappointment in its lack of gore cloud my judgment?

Ichi The Killer (2001)

IchiTheKiller.jpg

Synopsis: Yakuza boss Anjo has seemingly gone missing with 300 million Yen (roughly $3.2 million). Because of the extreme physical punishment that only Anjo could mete out, his sadomasochistic underling, Kakihara (Tadanobu Asano), goes on a tortuous rampage in search of him. Unbeknownst to Kakihara, boss Anjo is already dead; under the direction of a mysterious old man named Jijii (infamous Japanese director Shinya Tsukamoto), Anjo has already been brutally murdered by a sexually awkward and cowardly manchild named Ichi (Nao Ōmori), who, when agitated or goaded enough, flies into fits of sobbing, murderous rage. Subject to Jijii's scheming, both Kakihara and Ichi come closer and closer to confronting each other, while, of course, taking out a few people along the way.

Thoughts: All I can say about this film is WOW. I've never been a big fan of manga (Ichi The Killer was adapted from one) or anime, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that this adaptation is just as graphic as anything you'd find in either one of those two mediums. Ichi The Killer pulls absolutely no punches, and its mean-spiritedness and excessive violence would make any jaded gorehound cringe (there's one scene in which Kakihara cuts off a part of his tongue as an act of penance for rashly going after a member of a rival gang in his search for Anjo that will have almost everyone lifting their hands to cover their eyes).

But, what exactly, besides the gore, makes this film so good? There are so many things right with Ichi The Killer: the pacing is excellent, the acting's superb, and the odd physical attributes of the main characters (Kakihara's slit cheeks, Jijii's bodybuilder physique, and Ichi's rubber roiller-derby looking attire and bladed shoes) only add to this film's disturbing quirkiness. Ultimately though, Ichi The Killer's greatness lies in its refusal to give its characters any redeeming qualities, thereby forcing the audience to see exactly how fucked up and maladjusted these characters are.

In my opinion, visceral violence and sexual dysfunction in Japanese cinema represent the soul-shattering effects of the nuclear attacks of World War II. I am in no way, shape, or form arguing against the use of atomic weaponry in World War II here; rather, I am asking you to think about the devastation the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki caused for Japan, no matter how "evil" they were during this time. Just think about it: not only did these bombings have immediate and long-term physical effects on the Japanese people, but they also caused Japan to prostrate herself before the Allied Powers and accept the humiliation and guilt that came along with utter defeat.

Embracing such a condition is no easy task for any country, let alone any individual. Thus, such films as Ichi The Killer and those of Shinya Tsukamoto use violence as a means to communicate the psychological and spiritual oppression still felt by many men in Japan. Successfully inflicting violence upon someone brings with it a sense of mastery, which, in turn, gives men the feeling of self-worth that is necessary for them to perform well sexually.

That such powerful Japanese shock cinema as Ichi The Killer is being made less and less by the year is both good and bad. It's good because it possibly represents the end (or at least the lessening) of the strong feelings of inadequacy and shame that have seemed to plague postwar Japan. On the other hand, it's bad, because Japanese shock cinema has, as a result, turned into kitsch (maybe we should thus think of it now as Japanese "schlock" cinema).

Verdict: If you're over 18, I highly recommend that you get yourself a copy of this film (or, get it from Rapidshare or from a torrent). I can't praise this films enough. Also, if you like Ichi The Killer, I also recommend that you take a look at Shinya Tsukamoto's Tetsuo.

Well, as I've told you before Tdigs, I loved Audition. It's just a beautiful, yet horrifying movie. I've never seen a film be both at the same time to the likes Audition was.

Audition is just one of those movies you get so into that it's hard to get out of once it's over. What starts out like a heartfelt drama, spins out of control halfway through the film. But the thing about that was it wasn't, surprisingly in retrospect, out of place. Most films that take a 180 like that end up being complete shit, but not Audition.

The first half may be slow for some, but to me it's just taking its time. We're getting to know the characters, by mannerisms, by dialog, by subtle things. We're feeling safe. Than that damn sack makes a jump (along with a scary as hell sound) in the room. And it all goes downhill from there. Something is wrong. We're not safe anymore.

Then you get all these incredible moments, like the nightmare sequence, which is AMAZING. Some dude eating puke. And the great, awkwardly touching finale.

Miike is truly a horror master. No, wait... an all-genre master, which brings me to Ichi The Killer.

I was first exposed to this film about two years ago by a friend of mine and was so perplexed by it that I had to watch it several more times. And even now, after watching it several times, I don't know if I can quite put what I feel about it into words. I liken watching this movie to looking at a horrible car accident. You see a couple of really smashed up cars, some blood, etc. It's a horrible, disgusting scene that you shouldn't want to look at. However, you become transfixed by the enormity of what you're looking at and cannot look away.

To say that this film is violent is a huge understatement. It makes Kill Bill or Scarface or A Clockwork Orange look like Barney. However, like in Kill Bill, the violence is supposed to be over the top and somewhat not believable. I think that it's more supposed to be about the messages that the director is attempting to convey.

Another film that I liken this movie to is Irréversible (I know this is weird, but bear with me, lol). Irréversible is gross, disgusting, disturbing, and all around gut-wrenching, but I believe that it brings to lights an aspect of human life that most people choose to ignore and pretend that it does not exist. I am not agreeing with any of the horrible acts that happen in Irréversible ; I'm just saying that it is something that everybody should see to open their eyes.

But yeah, besides that... I really liked the inventive villain and hero in the film. Kakihara is one of the all-time great bad guys. His character design (which appears on the DVD cover) is as original as it gets. Even though Ichi is also a very original character, most viewers, I think, will go away with the memory of Kakihara's open maw. I don't know, though.

Overall, great movie, but it's one of those you truly have to see for yourself. No explaining Tdigs or X or myself could ever give the film any justice. Your eyes just need to witness it first hand.

I wouldn't call Audition ''so-so'', in comparison to a hit-and-miss director like Miike's previous work it's sublime. The pacing of it is similar to a lot of Japanese work.

You should've covered Visitor Q. Incest, Necrophelia (You're wet! What's that smell?), lactating. It's probably his best film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back