• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did you know these facts about CM PUNK...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVA09

Punkamania
Ok...so, CM Punk...whom we call the BEST IN THE WORLD...hasnt been treated all that well by the WWE...Here are a couple of facts...

1) The 'Fire Burn' theme song (his old theme) was once upon a time used by Randy Orton...It wasnt a virgin theme given to CM Punk...It dint fit Randy at all and so they gave it to Punk...
Here's the link if you want it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYRQnyWsZQ

2) The 'Cult of Personality' theme as we know was used by Punk in ROH...but that theme song, once again was not the first time played in WWE when punk made his comeback...It was first time used for Stone Cold Steve Austin's Hall of Fame promo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5n1IoqWFw

So, Triple H saying that he approved his theme song when he resigned the contract was all bullshit as they had already used it before...

What I dont understand is why was he, right from the beginning treated as a second class wrestler with second hand stuffs given to him...???

If you do know any other facts about Punk then please feel free to post...

First of all, the song is called "this fire burns" by killswitch engage. The reason punk was given this was because it didn't fit randy Orton. Punk was lucky getting a licensed song like this when he was still new to wwe. A lot of newbs get really generic and lame music. WWE had spent money to license the song and wanted to use it. They didn't give it to Punk to treat him as "second class". The song ended up working really well for his character. And who cares about "Cult of Personality"? Punk PERSONALLY requested this song. So it had nothing to do with it being used in a stone cold hof promo.

So, how about you explain to me how these facts have anything to do with him not being treated well? Do you know how many wrestlers of the past were given "recycled" theme songs and gimmicks, prior to their rises to stardom?

Furthermore, do you have any clue as to what goes into gaining rights to utilize a band's song in the WWE? I know they used Cult of Personality for Stone Cold before, but an entirely new contract was probably drawn up for the regular use of the song during Punk's entrance.

I honestly don't even know what to say here. The stupidity and ignorance of some of our posters truly astounds me. Who gives a shit if his themes were used by others before him? Do you think that deserves an argument about him being "mistreated?" Isn't this guy currently the WWE champion and the top dog of the largest wrestling promotion in the world?

You need a new hobby. Try collecting stamps because pro-wrestling just isn't for you.

1) they were right it wouldn't have been a good fit for Orton at all. It did however fit with Punks character quite nicely

2) I didn't know they had used it for SCSA's HoF video, but licensing for that is relatively straight forward (we used your song, here is some money) the HoF is not a massive source of profit and using songs within a TV is relatively straight forward from my (limited) knowledge of the music business (I know the guy who wrote/produced a song that did very well in the 80s and he just gets a royalty cheque every year) However, for regular use on a commercial or as a "theme song" the licensing is different, it's not the same and the licensing is significantly more complex. However I suspect that being able to choose his own theme music was a part of his contract and I would not be surprised if it were to change if Punk were to turn heel again.

Also 3) he evidently loves the fantastic four since "It's clobbering time" which he shouts in his entrance is one of the Thing's catchphrases

EDIT: I chose to ignore the intent of the original post completely on purpose, to describe Punk as being mistreated is not too dissimilar to saying the Statue of Liberty is actually a man in drag.

Yeah, pretty sure recycled music/gimmicks/themes happen a lot in WWE, it was no slight to Punk that they gave him a song used by someone else. Number one, who really remembers that Orton had that song? Number two, who cares? Number three, since it's an actual band's song that requires licensing, not generic trash, that means they spent good money for the use of that song, and to give it to Punk was a positive, not a negative.

Also, I'm pretty sure Punk requested "Cult of Personality", the fact that they used it at the HoF for Stone Cold was just a coincidence.

You're obviously a huge Punk mark, and that's fine, I'm a fan too, but I don't think he's been treated as a second class wrestler at all. He is, in case you haven't been watching lately, the champ.

Do you know how many wrestlers of the past were given "recycled" theme songs and gimmicks, prior to their rises to stardom?

Amen.

MVA09, I am going to provide some examples of what D-Man is talking about, just in case you think Punk's use of recycled themes are somehow out of the ordinary, or that it only happens to midcarders/guys that aren't respected, or that somehow D-Man is full of shit (he isn't).

When you think of Hulk Hogan, which theme is the one that you most identify with him? Is it Rick Derringer's "Real American"? If so, did you know that the song was originally intended for the tag team of Barry Windham and Mike Rotundo (IRS)?

You Remember Kurt Angle's WWE theme? Yeah, that was originally the Patriot Del Wilke's theme.

Jerry the King Lawler's theme? Harley Race was using that a long time ago, and IIRC, so did Haku.

Brodus Clay's theme was once Earnest the Cat Miller's.

You think you are being so smart, that you found some sign that the WWE is disrespecting CM Punk, and it's entirely laughable. Stop trying to sound like a smark, you failed miserably. As D-Man correctly points out (he is a lot smarter than you are) recycling themes is absolutely no big deal whatsoever, and has been done numerous, numerous times before.

In regards to what jssellen said, I also dislike Wades theme song greatly, it sounds dumb in my opinion. Now on to the original topic, CM Punk using recycled theme songs. All the points have already been stated, except one. CM Punk actually used C.o.P back before he joined WWE. So I think that's why he is using it.

Hey man, thx for posting this stuff. Ignore the d-bags that give you grief over stating your opinion on a forum. I see where you are coming from. However, I disagree that giving out recycled music isn't exactly being "mistreated". Both songs fit Punk perfectly imo. I did know he used "Cult of Personality" in RoH. Let me take some of the heat off of you by stating my opinion on Punk as a whole. Punk has talent in the ring and he is great on the mic, but I don't like him (not personally, I don't like his in ring style and look). I've never liked Punk, ever. I don't like DB either, but that's just me, and the great thing is we're all entitled to our likes and dislikes. I appreciate the couple of Punk facts I didn't now, I like knowing stuff like that. :)

Common known facts with a key fact about him totally missing (the fact he used Cult of Personality in ROH), talk about trying to fit ideas and thoughts into an already concluded mindset.

You talk about how the WWE is treating Punk as a second class wrestler, yet despite this claim Punk is a multi time World Champion, has virtually been allowed to keep his Punk character and has grown within the company without needing to change.

WWE have always been known of recycling themes, it happens, its nothing to do with treating a wrestler with less respect etc. The example of Hulk Hogan is a perfect one, the La Resistance theme was a PPV promo theme, Ezekiel Jackson's theme was the Brawl for All theme, Michelle McCool's theme was at one point (correct me if I'm wrong with the name here) actually Torrie Wilson's theme. Ricky Steamboat's return theme was Ultimo Dragon's theme. The list is quite endless and the idea that the WWE went out of their way to get a tune not associated with Jim Johnston as a way of treating Punk as a second class wrestler is beyond absurd.

Also as for the mini dispute as to what Punk's first theme was called, both are right. In its original form it is 'This Fire' by Killswitch Engine, the edited version and thus Punk's theme is 'This Fire Burns'. Either title is therefore correct.

Plus...Cult of Personality was supposed to be used at Money In The Bank (this from Punk's interview with Bill Simmons on the BS Report on ESPN a few days after MITB)...but Living Colour's management was out of town and they were unable to get ahold of them in time Saturday or Sunday.

Can't tell if trolling or you've jumped on the C.M. Punk bandwagon that much your actually trying to make your own underdog injustices for him. Either way this is possibly the worst post i've ever read.

Do me a favour and off the top of your head name me another superstar, apart from hhh, that has a licensed, no wait, TWO licensed songs as his theme songs and got it straight from the start. And the fact that it fits C.M. Punk so well is yet another benefit.

You think the fact that 'Cult of Personality' was played in ONE promo three years beforehand overshadows that Punk was allowed to use his original theme song that he chose from his glory days in ROH. Thats the first time this has been allowed in WWE.

You believing this was discussion worthy astounds me.

Ok...so, CM Punk...whom we call the BEST IN THE WORLD...hasnt been treated all that well by the WWE...Here are a couple of facts...

1) The 'Fire Burn' theme song (his old theme) was once upon a time used by Randy Orton...It wasnt a virgin theme given to CM Punk...It dint fit Randy at all and so they gave it to Punk...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAYRQnyWsZQ

2) The 'Cult of Personality' theme as we know was used by Punk in ROH...but that theme song, once again was not the first time played in WWE when punk made his comeback...It was first time used for Stone Cold Steve Austin's Hall of Fame promo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d5n1IoqWFw

So, Triple H saying that he approved his theme song when he resigned the contract was all bullshit as they had already used it before...

What I dont understand is why was he, right from the beginning treated as a second class wrestler with second hand stuffs given to him...???

If you do know any other facts about Punk then please feel free to post...

1) As already mentioned that song didn't fit Orton. At the time Orton was going to be playing a cocky, arrogant character...a heavy song like that doesn't work.

2) Just because WWE got the rights to use it for Austin, doesn't mean they got it to use anytime they want. Besides, "Cult of Personality" is about being a leader. What was Austin for his time? He may have been a rebel, but he was a leader is showing that you can fight against the power. He was also the top face of WWE next top The Rock.

What is Punk? He was a leader of the SES and New Nexus. Plus, with Punk using that song, casual fans didn;t know he used it in ROH and they began to add more fuel to the fire of Austin vs Punk, since "WWE already used that song for Austin".

WWE had to sign a new contract for them to use that song.

I fail to see how all of this leads to Punk not being treated right buy WWE.

First of all, the song is called "this fire burns" by killswitch engage. The reason punk was given this was because it didn't fit randy Orton. Punk was lucky getting a licensed song like this when he was still new to wwe. A lot of newbs get really generic and lame music. WWE had spent money to license the song and wanted to use it. They didn't give it to Punk to treat him as "second class". The song ended up working really well for his character. And who cares about "Cult of Personality"? Punk PERSONALLY requested this song. So it had nothing to do with it being used in a stone cold hof promo.

That's pretty much how I see it. Punk was LUCKY to get given a liscened song because according to WWE at that time he wasn't really considered a draw [note I said, "according to WWE"].

Also I want to add that your shtick about the Living Colour track is wrong too. CM Punk requested the song because it used to be his theme and WWE agreed and then went and not only spent the money to licence it, but also put a song they'd already spent money on (This fire burns) into dis-use... They would NOT do that for just any old wrestler on their roster. That is called: Special Treatment. The song having previously featured for Austin's HOF has zero relevance to CM Punk or how he's treated.

The Killswitch Engage song "This Fire Burns" wasn't licensed by WWE. Jim Johnson wrote the piece (it says it on the credits for the song). Killswitch just did the recording.

Cult was one they had to renegotiate... so yeah... I agree on that part.

'Real american' , you know... the song known worldwide as hulk hogans theme song was originally used for a tag team. I can't remember which one as there were 1264345 tag teams in the 80's. I guess they mistreated him too. They mistreated him by making fun of him behind his back, and not wanting to push him as the new face of ecw when he was so clearly over with the crowd, not by giving him a theme that didn't work for randy orton. And he's a huge stone cold steve austin fan, so maybe, just maybe him hearing that used for austin induction was an inspiration for him to use it in roh. I'm not sure about that because I don't know exactly when he started using it, but theorhetically it seem feasable (spelling).

Bit of a misleading thread...I was hoping for some more obscure facts about CM Punk! Glad some other people noticed the double usage of Cult of Personality, and it is a bit strangely coincidental that they used that for Austin and the fact that Punk cut his lightning rod promo with an Austin shirt on. I'm still hoping for an Austin Punk match somewhere down the road, but I don't get my hopes up much for Austin to wrestle anymore, and I can't really blame him. However, the whispers about him not showing up for mania because he doesn't want to be overshadowed by The Rock is a bit disappointing since those two on the same screen has always been a big thrill.

Back to Punk; I don't mind Cult of Personality, but his old theme was way better and always what I think of the night he won the belt here in Chicago, which will go down as one of the best of all time pay-per-views as far as my opinion goes. I really think he should switch back, but probably won't. I have zero recollection of Orton ever using that theme so they did a good job covering it up from most fans except for those who have a great knack for noticing that stuff.

A few final notes, Wade's new music seems awful but I guess I should give it time, did anyone else ever notice the similarities between the Razor Ramon theme and the Jericho theme?? It's there....

Let's see if I can cover all the posts I want to in one swoop....

First: Fact about CM Punk, he once used to use a springboard twisting blockbuster as a move. He fractured his skull doing it once and was put out of wrestling for a year.

Second: Reused themes huh? The person who posted that Angle and the Patriot used the same theme, Sgt. Slaughter also used it at one point.

Third: Yes, I'm positive Zeke Jackson uses a remixed version of the Brawl For All theme.

Fourth: Wade Barrett's theme sucks, but he wanted it because he likes it. If I wrestled for WWE, I'd push HARD for entrance music by Dir En Grey or Tech N9ne. So I can't blame him.

Or how about the fact that razor ramon's theme, and stone cold's theme ARE THE SAME THEME! One has glass breaking, one has tires squeeling. Same riff, but with a different instrument. How could they disrespect stone cold steve austins good name like that?

Is this a serious thread or a joke? Out of all the possible examples of Punk being mistreated you point out theme music? If you go by Lagana's article from last year about how Punk was treated while in WWECW you'd see that there really weren't a lot of guys too high on him back then. But it's really hard to blame them because Punk does carry himself in a very blunt, straight forward manner that could easily rub people the wrong way. Add that to the fact that his early WWE matches were sloppy as hell. It's really amazing how far he's come. Hope his current reign gets more interesting though.

People sure are reaching for whatever they can find in order to prove that Punk was "mistreated" by the WWE. The closest thing Punk has come to mistreatment by the WWE as a whole, not including the Tony Atlas "you look like your arms are broken" incident, is how Vince and the writers treated him like he didnt belong in WWECW until HBK stepped in. While I agree it was a bit messed up that they were ready to quit on him without taking a chance first, a company's responsibility is to do whats right for business and if Vince didnt think he was right for business back then he had all the right as the chairman to voice his opinion about it.

Well for starters I did know both these "facts" and as a casual fan that means that almost everyone else on this forum would have also known this.

The Killswitch song... which was awesome! and was my Ringtone although I disliked Punk in a HEEL MARK kind of way was indeed Ortons song for a little while and that does not matter..... it has no negative taste on Punk whatsoever.

And again with Cult of personality.... my current RingTone because I do love the song and again.... Punk is my current Fave Face for Mark reasons. This was probably Genuinely Punks idea so again...it means nothing.

Good day sir....

Here's a clip from the promo in question, just in case anyone was wondering. Triple H addresses "Cult of Personality" at the 4:38 mark.

[YOUTUBE]y9xHo5Y2Y_k[/YOUTUBE]

We're going to dodge past your obvious ignorance at how copyright infringement and the music industry works, and focus on the terrible logic you're using to present your case:

Triple H, a character on a television show tells CM Punk, another character on the same television show, that he is responsible for getting a copyrighted song to play as his entrance theme.

If this was an episode of All My Children we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now... We're talking about something said on a TELEVISION SHOW, and you're upset that it might not be 100% factually true!? If this is a legitimate concern of yours, I'm really sorry that I have to be the one to tell you: things said on television are written by paid creative directors and actors in order to get a story across to the general public. Apparently they did too good of a job with you.

As for CM Punk being handed "sloppy seconds" and being treated as a "second class wrestler" I just don't see it. How many guys his size and style get through WWE's mid-card? How many of them actually make it out of the independents in the first place? Being able to wrestle in a WWE ring is more than what a lot of people expected out of him - it's not being treated as second rate, it's just the way the wrestling industry is. He's a multi-time WWE Champion. He's the CURRENT WWE Champion. He'll be getting a multi-million dollar payday for being the Champion in the semi-main event at WrestleMania 27. During this promo (as seen above) he was in the midst of a feud with one the greats of all time, and current Chief Operating Officer of the company. This was after being allowed to work one of the most controversial and enthralling wrestling angles we've seen in years!

The words "second class" and "second hand stuff" have no business being remotely near CM Punk right now, nor should they have been in the past. Several current Hall of Famers worked for decades and never accomplished what Punk has in the past 9 months.

Do you also know this fact...

Killswitch Engage are one of Punk's favorite bands and he has even appeared with them on stage? As he is also friends with the band.

=)

Seriously, I imagine this topic will be closed as it doesn't add any sort of discussion at all.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3741846 said:
Here's a clip from the promo in question, just in case anyone was wondering. Triple H addresses "Cult of Personality" at the 4:38 mark.

[YOUTUBE]y9xHo5Y2Y_k[/YOUTUBE]

We're going to dodge past your obvious ignorance at how copyright infringement and the music industry works, and focus on the terrible logic you're using to present your case:

Triple H, a character on a television show tells CM Punk, another character on the same television show, that he is responsible for getting a copyrighted song to play as his entrance theme.

If this was an episode of All My Children we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now... We're talking about something said on a TELEVISION SHOW, and you're upset that it might not be 100% factually true!? If this is a legitimate concern of yours, I'm really sorry that I have to be the one to tell you: things said on television are written by paid creative directors and actors in order to get a story across to the general public. Apparently they did too good of a job with you.

As for CM Punk being handed "sloppy seconds" and being treated as a "second class wrestler" I just don't see it. How many guys his size and style get through WWE's mid-card? How many of them actually make it out of the independents in the first place? Being able to wrestle in a WWE ring is more than what a lot of people expected out of him - it's not being treated as second rate, it's just the way the wrestling industry is. He's a multi-time WWE Champion. He's the CURRENT WWE Champion. He'll be getting a multi-million dollar payday for being the Champion in the semi-main event at WrestleMania 27. During this promo (as seen above) he was in the midst of a feud with one the greats of all time, and current Chief Operating Officer of the company. This was after being allowed to work one of the most controversial and enthralling wrestling angles we've seen in years!

The words "second class" and "second hand stuff" have no business being remotely near CM Punk right now, nor should they have been in the past. Several current Hall of Famers worked for decades and never accomplished what Punk has in the past 9 months.

WrestleMania 28 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back