• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Did Vince intentionally bury them?

gremmlinsmith

Dark Match Winner
So, I was watching old WCW videos and realized I can only think of three ex WCW guys (who came after WWE bought WCW) who won a world title in WWE: Goldberg, Booker, and Mysterio. This kinda pissed me off and got me thinking:

1. Am I forgetting anyone?

2. Did VKM intentioally bury WCW's top guys once he got them?

The best example I remember is DDP. Mega over with the WCW crowd and then gets two HORRIBLE fucking gimmicks, and then bailed out.

I'm not sure if Vince intentionally buried them or if it was more the morons in his ear telling him to do it because of their own stupidty. Guys like DDP (as you stated) as well as Booker and a couple over were very over when WCW was purchased yet go stuck with shit gimmicks or got buried by WWE's resident "WCW Legend Killer" Triple H. I'm still debating this in my own mind as to what exactly was going through Vince's head when he had possibly huge angles and stories but decided to do dumb things and allow WCW to get squashed.

Yes and no.

It seemed like if you jumped from WCW to the 'E before they bought WCW, you were pushed to the moon and put over almost instantly, prime example of that is the Radicalz gimmick and Jericho coming in and pretty much instantly being in the main event for the most part. While, if you came into the 'E after the purchase of WCW, you were pretty much buried for the most part. Some of them became pretty solid mid-carders for a while, while most were there for a few months during the Invasion, then were never heard from again.. Or got the lamest gimmicks possible (Planet Stasiak, anyone?)

You're also right, the only ones that come to mind as far as post-purchase guys to win the title were Booker, Mysterio, and Goldberg. Wait, actually.. Didn't Steiner hold the belt for a month or two? So, four guys out of the influx of WCW talent to show up. Though, you also had Shane Helms become the longest reigning Crusierweight Champion in WWE history. So, sure.. Some were buried, like DDP and Kanyon.. But, most flourished in their respective roles.

The way I see it, they just couldn't come up with anything for most of these guys to do. That type of thing happens every day in this wrestling business. The 'E used the guys they thought would give them the best stuff, and got rid of the ones that they didn't necessarily want. So, no.. I don't completely blame Vince or the 'E for burying the WCW talent. He did what he could, with what he had to work with. Simple as that.

Really the problem 99% of the time wasn't McMahon it was that the guys weren't getting over because WCW made us try and love most of them and by the end when the E bought them it was a Group vs Group and the die hard fan was basically suppose to choose the E, that was its intention.

Honestly I thought DDP had the most going for him with the stalking gimmick the sad part is that it loses its flavor after one feud (see Nailz) and it was gone.

The thing that Vince likes to do is create guys to say he made these guys who they are if they go anywhere else, and with WCW these guys were already established. and while you may argue Vince buried certain guys, if they were so buried why give them 1-2 title reigns? The fact was Booker didn't get over as Booker in WWE he got booed out of the arena as King Booker and thats when he got the belt. Goldberg was a lost cause only because you can't recreate the same magic that happened in WCW with him theres not 200 guys for Goldberg to go through on the roster, and honestly in the E, it looks bad if a main event doesn't really go bell to bell for a long period, and Goldberg was exposed as still being green after years of being in the business because he couldn't really do a 20-30 minute match and keep the crowd into it. As for Rey, he has fought all the top talent, won the World Heavyweight title after Eddie passed and has now won it for a second time and he's being buried?

The fact of the matter is a guy only got buried when he wasn't getting over, and the E has always been one who recreates all gimmicks when shifted from one company to another from 80's to now: Dusty Rhodes, Harley Race, Randy Savage, Steve Austin, Triple H, Jericho, Benoit, Saturn, Eddie, big show, Steamboat, Mick Foley, Booker T, Vance Archer, Evan Bourne, Dustin Rhodes, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Sean Waltman...Simple as that.

Guess I'm sick of everyone always asking "did Vince do this", "did Vince do that", and put the entire blame on him for everything. We don't know everything that happens backstage and considering that Vince McMahon is the father of the industry, I have learnt to respect him and believe that whatever he does is always best for the business. If that's not the case, then the company would go down and we wouldn't be watching Raw/ Smackdown/ Wrestlemania.

As for the WCW stars, I think Vince did realize who had good potential and he gave them their due. Booker T was the heavyweight champion on WWE, and he also became the champion of champions. Mysterio right now is hugely over with the crowd. The same holds true for Goldberg, who got a great push as champion in WWE as well. I remember him beating down all of Evolution single-handedly. I can't recall a single "clean" loss which he had in WWE. But if he thought he'd have a long undefeated run like he had in the WCW, he was mistaken. First of all, he was not the ultimate best of all time - guys like Undertaker were equally good if not better (as can be made out by his Wrestlemania performances even now). Secondly, the business is always about doing rivalries and pushing your rivals as well, otherwise the company goes bankrupt like WCW did - they had Goldberg coming and sh*tting all over their biggest stars like Hogan and NWO in less-than-5-minute squash-type matches in a one-dimensional way, and that's one of the main reasons why fans started disliking WCW. If Vince had made the same mistake with Goldberg or any other, we wouldn't be watching the WWE today as it would've been closed too. If Goldberg didn't realize this, he was expecting more than what he deserved and that's his problem, not Vince's or the WWE's.

Vince is the owner and chief executive officer of WWE. Nothing happens without his approval. He, more or less, buried WCW and ECW whether it was on purpose or because his ego couldn't handle another person's idea being over in his company. He especially hated the WCW brand long after he purchased them. While it wasn't just him, he steered the ship, it's his fault.

Much of the roster, staff and talents were in on it as well. So many of the old guard at WWF were intentionally using the angle to make themselves look good such as The Undertaker and the APA, who buried any WCW guy they could find.

DDP's case is the greatest example of how idiotic and self-centered everybody involved was. DDP was OVER in WCW during it's greatest period. He comes in as a heel (when the WCW wrestlers were still face) as a stalker (completely out-of-character for him) and gets buried a week after his debut and is made to look like a pansy by The Undertaker. Then they give him that terrible motivational speaker gimmick as well. Either way, DDP was short-changed so much in that company. He could have been the heart and soul of the angle but ended up being the first indicator of it's failure.

I am rather sick of anybody defending that whole storyline and it's execution. No matter how you slice it, the angle didn't make logical sense and there seemed to be little or no effort to make it work long-term and more to get over the people THEY created such as Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, The Undertaker and The Rock.

It hurts me to think about how much they could have done better. Why turn Austin and Kurt Angle when you can turn Jericho and The Big Show, guys that actually came from WCW in the 1st place? Why make Stephanie McMahon ECW's mouth piece when Paul Heyman was just fine and dandy in that role? Why debut the WCW wrestler's in the ring in a Pro-WWF Ohio when the next week RAW is in ATLANTA, the former home of WCW? Why turn WCW heel in ATLANTA? Just every little detail of this angle showed signs carelessness and intention to bury the brand and convince the audience it was worth nothing.

In my opinion, Vince and the WWE did intentionally bury WCW and ECW and everything associated with it. You can cite them putting the belt on Rey Mysterio, RVD, and Booker T as evidence against that, but look at the time period that passed before any of those guys received the big push and tell me that didn't have to do with the fact that they came from somewhere else. By the time any of those guys got the push they deserved a lot of the fans of WCW & ECW had stopped watching wrestling because of the stagnant monopoly that it had become with the WWE being the only major game in town. During the 'Invasion' storyline there was NO ONE hotter during that angle than Rob Van Dam, there have been countless guys who have said they couldn't believe Vince passed the chance to put the belt on him during that time. He was getting pops as loud as Austin and The Rock were at that time

Furthermore, go back to 2003 and watch Raw from January through December. Everyone that Triple H beat in main events that year? Was former WCW talent that were all over BIG TIME before they were under the WCW banner. From Steiner in January-March, Booker in April & May, Kevin Nash from June to August, and Goldberg from August to December. Oh wait, he did drop the title to Goldberg for a few months to Goldberg so he could go and make his movie. How forgetful of me.

If you need any further proof that Vince and the WWE took a warm piss all over everything that was succesful that they didn't create you need to look no further than the NwO storyline in 2002 or what Vince did to the ECW brand. What Vince turned those two highly popular brands into because he didn't create them himself? Was deplorable and nothing greater.

It may have been Vince, but, as Vince has always said, if the performer gets a reaction from the audience, he will push them.

Okay, it may not be true for all wrestlers that have stepped through the WWE curtain, but it has for most.

What you need to remember as well, with DDP, some of the WWE audience knew of him but didn't know him. The same can be said for all the WCW wrestlers that came to the WWE after they were bought. Even if 65% of the wrestling audience knew who DDP was, there is still 35% that doesn't. He got over in WCW big time, but when he came to the WWE, he had to start fresh.

Unfortunately it didn't work out for him.

Goldberg was lucky enough to have a title reign written into his contract, and at the time, he had a few backstage problems with HHH as well, so it was obvious that he wouldn't last long in a WWE ring.

You also forget one big WWE star that held the gold after coming over from WCW, and that was Eddie Guerrero. Now fair enough, he jumped before the sale, but none the less, he wasn't persecuted because he worked for the competition.

I'm sure the question will always be asked whether Vince purposefully buried guys like Chuck Palumbo, Sean O'Haire, DDP and Perry Saturn, but the truth is, if your not over with the WWE 'Universe', those famous 'future endeavor' papers cannot be far behind.

I really don't think Vince COULD of intentionally buried the WCW talent because well... He is to smart with his money.

You all need to think when you come out here and say "Do you think Vince buried X on purpose!!?? :O" Because why would he even bother hiring them in the first place if he was just going to bury them and keep paying them as they sit on interchange. It doesnt make good business sence.

So no, Vince didnt bury any guys that came from WCW, It was probably people in his ear that buried DDP etc. Or just the people themselves, some of you act like Booker and DDP didnt have any choice in their gimmicks.

I'm sure that there have been times in which a wrestler has been buried as punishment and I'd say that it's at least possible that Vince buried some in order to satisfy his own ego. Did he do it with a lot of guys in WCW or ECW after he bought those companies? Well, I don't think it's an easy yes or no question.

I know that there are a lot of WCW and ECW wrestlers that got great responses from fans in their companies and that their fans always believe that they're great and deserved big things in the WWE. That's all well and good but reality and a person's perception of certain wrestlers don't always coincide. There were a lot of WCW and ECW wrestlers that weren't as good as some of their fans made them out to be, nor did they get a great response from WWE viewers.

If Vince McMahon thinks he can make money off you, he's not likely to purposely bury you. To some degree, I think a lot of the complaints about Vince not pushing this guy, burying this guy or whatever is due to some fans thinking that they can run the WWE better than Vince. The internet has no shortage of fans that think along those lines and the VAST majority of them wouldn't have a clue. Just pushing who YOU think is the best doesn't necessarily mean that your audience is going to agree with you. Take Evan Bourne for example, Bourne has spent most of his time as a jobber in the WWE up until recently but he was still over with fans. He got big pops whenever he came out even though he lost almost every single match. A top guy in the company also vouched for him, Vince has given him a push and it's paid off nicely.

Everyone can't be a mega star in any wrestling company. That's just how it is. Someone is ultimately going to be used as a stepping stone for other wrestlers that the company thinks is more likely to give them long term success. Sometimes the decision pans out, sometimes it doesn't. That's how any business works.

Am I the only person that thinks Vince might not be the olny one to blame for this??

Who else could be to blame though?
Who has the ultimate power to decide whether someone will be a success or failure?
Not HHH. Not Stephanie, not Shane. Who could it possibly be?

Oh, wait, I've got it!!! US!!! The fans!!!!

People who were fans of WWE before WCW was bought out were fans because they cared about that product more than WCW. They cared more about the stoylines, the characters, more than they cared about the same things from WCW.

It only makes sense that when the WCW guys came over, fans would think "Look, it's that guy from WCW, I didn't care about them before, I don't care about them now"

A lot of old WCW fans stopped watchong wrestling after they went under. The product they enjoyed no longer existed, and a lot of them chose not to watch WWE because they didn't care for it. One or two of their old favourites going across wasn't going to change their minds.

Simple fact is, when WCW went under, a lot of their fans went too. If a wrestler looses his fans, then why should Vince give them a push?

He fed them to HHH, making the statement this one guy was better then your entire main event roster, but he they did put them over with HHH cheating to win and taken a beating, but 9/10 people forget the match and remember who won, so yeah Vince buried them but what else could he do? have them all come in and smash his top guys they give Goldberg, Rock, Christian (Cage match) and Jericho before his feud with HHH, so they built him up to a degree, Big Poppa Pump on the other hand walked into a main event slot but his body had given up on him so much in 2 years it was unreal to watch, but the rest of the guys got pushes with mid card belts etc so WWE made them earn their spot, the only guy I believe got screwed was DDP, he was bent over and raped by WWE's creative, from a money stand point to a storylines then got injured by Hardcore holly who was a known reckless guy, Vince had to make sure his guys looked superior and he did, but the WCW guys who were given their shot thrived on it, some weren't and went into the abyss.

Am I the only one laughing at the suggestion that DDP never won WWE gold because he was buried? DDP didn't win because he sucked, not because he was buried out of some malice. DDP was over with the fans, for a time...but at no point in his career was he ever heavyweight championship material. Vince didn't put the belt on him because DDP was not championship material.

Am I the only one laughing at the suggestion that DDP never won WWE gold because he was buried? DDP didn't win because he sucked, not because he was buried out of some malice. DDP was over with the fans, for a time...but at no point in his career was he ever heavyweight championship material. Vince didn't put the belt on him because DDP was not championship material.

you hit the nail on the head. DDP was over in WCW in a big way because the fans, WCW fans, liked him. why? i don't know. i never cared for him that much. i was surprised he was in the title picture as many times as he was because he never seemed like the type that could draw as a main eventer, but he did.

if you bring in a guy who was over in one company and can't get that same kind of reaction from another, is it burying him? no. vince goes by the reaction of the crowd. if a guy get huge pops every week, or big heat, vince knows to push him.

DDP buried DDP, no one else.

same goes for other popular wrestlers from other promotions. do you think RVD was "beat john cena -main event material?" i didn't. but the crowd loved him and he was over big once in the WWE. so much they made him ECW/WWE champion at the same time.

If DDP was never championship material why did he win so many championships? Seriously DDP sucked? What world do you live in?

you hit the nail on the head. DDP was over in WCW in a big way because the fans, WCW fans, liked him. why? i don't know. i never cared for him that much. i was surprised he was in the title picture as many times as he was because he never seemed like the type that could draw as a main eventer, but he did.

if you bring in a guy who was over in one company and can't get that same kind of reaction from another, is it burying him? no. vince goes by the reaction of the crowd. if a guy get huge pops every week, or big heat, vince knows to push him.

DDP buried DDP, no one else.

They brought him in as a "stalker", an unneccessary gimmick that DDP had never played. Then they gave him the even better gimmick of "Motivational Speaker", yeah that was totally DDP's idea. I'm sure The Rock would've gotten over as a Motivational Speaker.:rolleyes: Go watch DDP's debut with the WWE, at King Of The Ring they let him punch the Undertaker twice before spending about 10 minutes getting destroyed by the Undertaker and in your mind this was DDP's fault?

What about Booker T? He came in as the WCW champion and the first thing they did was job him out to the Rock making sure everyone knew the WWE's wrestlers were "better" than the WCW wrestlers, why was Steve Austin made the leader of the Alliance? The final team representing ECW and WCW consisted of Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, Shane McMahon, RVD and Booker T. 2 of those guys weren't even in WCW or ECW.

The Invasion angle had the potential to showcase something every wrestling diehard had dreamed of, the top stars of each company going head to head. Instead we got the top stars of ECW, 2 top stars from WCW and the WCW mid-card being jobbed out to any WWE wrestler they could find. DDP and Kanyon had to cheat to beat the APA, the fucking APA, they made a 3 time world champion look like a bitch going up against 2 guys who had only won tag titles previously. Yeah I'm sure that's DDP's fault too right?

couple of corrections --

one poster asked if Steiner got the belt for a couple of months after WCW was purchased... the answer to that is no. Steiner got zero belts in the WWE after WCW was purchased and he came over.

one poster mentioned that Eddie Guerrero won WHC gold after WCW was purchased and argued that point. that poster, however, failed to mention that Benoit did the same. but that doesn't matter because both Guerrero and Benoit came before WCW was bought out and that's what this thread is about, so they don't count for this argument.

to my best memory, the only WCW guys that came after the purchase to win WHC gold were Booker T, Goldberg and Rey Mysterio. and of those 3, only Goldberg got the gold within his first year with the company. everyone else had to wait several years. maybe you could throw RVD in there as well since he came from ECW after the purchase.

did Vince bury them on purpose? maybe. one poster brought up a good point that the main feuds for Triple H in one year, in order, were Steiner, Booker T, Kevin Nash and Goldberg, all of whom were soundly beaten repeatedly. so maybe. and maybe Triple H had a hand in it as well.

then again, people did stop caring about WCW and so stopped caring for the guys there. so then when they went to the WWF, the WCW fans stopped watching cuz they didn't like the WWF and the WWF fans hated the WCW wrestlers, so it was hard to really cheer for them and give them big pushes.

i thought that with the talent available, WWF and Vince did the best they could with the Invasion angle. not having Hart, Goldberg, Steiner, Nash, Hall, Hogan, Sting and a few others immediately really hurt the momentum of the whole angle. and there were a lot of injuries on both sides that hurt things also.

all that said, i'm really glad that guys like Booker and Rey and even RVD did finally make it to the top, even if it took years of work to get there. it was much deserved and they truly were over when they won.

"If DDP was never championship material why did he win so many championships? Seriously DDP sucked? What world do you live in?"

Easy,for the same reason Jeff Jarrett was so over in the WCW,he was good friends with somebody in the right spot. Where as Jarrett was good friends with Vince Russo,DDP was good friends with Eric Bischoff. And so what he won a World title,plenty of guys have wore the strap who didn't deserve it. Look at Ronnie Garvin.

Anyway,as far as Vince burying those guys,I say it was part Vince,part guys in the locker room not wanting to put the WCW guys over. It's not like Vince hadn't done something like that before,look at how he treated Dusty Rhodes. Anyway,seeing as how Booker and Page were the biggest names to come over,they should have been treated as threats. I understand that they aren't on the level of a Steve Austin or the Rock. But still you can't put them in some crap gimmick.

Did he purposely bury his newest acquisitions? I don't think so personally.

I've read everyone's posts and it seems the majority of you think that if a wrestler never wins the World Title in WWE, then their career was a failure. Apparently Goldberg, Booker T and Rey Mysterio are the only WCW wrestlers to amount to anything in WWE because they won the World Title at least once each.

Did Chuck Palumbo not have a year long tag team run with Billy Gunn as the ***-team, Billy and Chuck? And then despite being a massive pile of shit in the ring, didn't they keep him around for god knows how long and keep bringing him back to TV even as late as 2007? So Chuck Palumbo got a good 6 year run in WWE. Ok, the only memorable parts are truly embarrassing but that's not the point. He still achieved something while he was there.

Hasn't Chavo Guerrero had a decent run in WWE for the last 8 years? Multiple time cruiserweight champion (in fact, doesn't he hold the record now?), multiple time tag team champion, fueds with ME'ers, former ECW champion. Ok he's doing jack shit now, but he's older now, and doesn't really need to be out there every week with the likes of Edge or Cena.

What about Finlay? He came along a couple of years after the Invasion angle, and yeah he only won the US title for like a fortnight, but he's now one of the road agents, training up the stars of today. Is that not a measure of success when you are grooming tomorrow's champions, despite never being given the belt yourself?

Jamie Noble had a fair few good fueds when the cruiserweights were still going strong, as did Billy Kidman, Ultimo Dragon, Shannon Moore, Jimmy Wang and Juvi Guerrera. Ok nothing spectacular from any of them really, but hell i remember it, so it must have had some impact.

The thing with WCW, is that it was always about WWF's old has beens who knew Vince was going to put them on the shelf, up and left with their remaining star power, and started a fresh run in WCW with guys they'd never faced before. That's why so many viewers jumped to watch WCW, because their favourites were all there.

When Hogan, Piper, Hennig, Flair, Nash, Hall, Savage and countless others go to a different company and all you're left with in WWF is HBK, Bret Hart and the Undertaker as you're top 3 guys, i can see why so many fans stopped watching the 'E'. Not because they couldn't draw with just those 3 guys, but because you couldn't draw attention away from those other 20 guys who left a year or so earlier.

20 of the best in the business ever, compared to 3 guys who each represent totally different wrestling styles, but usually end up wrestling guys who have styles exactly the same as their own. I know which i'd prefer to see, even if one of the guys on the other side is 'Taker. If he's still just going to wrestle 7 foot slobs who are nowhere near as good as he is, why would i watch that over Flair vs Sting or Outsiders vs Savage and Piper or something like that?

Vince always took WCW's younger up and coming superstars, whereas WCW took all his washed up shit ones, like Jeff freakin' Jarrett for god sake. He never drew squat in WWF, so as soon as he gets to WCW, THEY MAKE HIM THE CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!! And people wonder why WCW went bust.

After the Invasion angle, Vince did the same thing. Tried to make things work for the newer guys, only keeping the older ones if they were worth it. Flair, Hogan, Hall and Nash all came well after the Invasion had finished. With the sole exception of Flair, not one of those guys was worth bringing back. Hall got fired for his addictions, no one wanted anything more to do with X-Pac in any capacity, Booker T joining didn't really make sense, and Hogan was on the other show.

Fuck man they had to bring HBK back just to keep that NWOII angle afloat because Nash sure as hell wasn't going to do it on his own was he? He couldn't even slide in the ring without blowing out both his legs, so how's he going to carry an angle on his own?

Guys like Sean O'Haire, Chuck Palumbo, all the cruiserweights, and seasoned veterans got a shot to make a name for themselves in WWE. Few succeeded, some did but have since left, others are still there succeeding in other capacities, and others were rightfully kicked to the curb, and others still, were given more chances than they should have ever had.

But i don't think Vince McMahon intentionally tried to bury anyone. I think that just like every other wrestler who signs a WWE contract, they turned up, were told to put on an outfit, learn a promo and make a gimmick work. Fail, and you're back in the independents, succeed and we'll see where things go from there. He might have known full well that DDP as a stalker wouldn't go down well, he may have thought Page could've pulled it off. Unless we ask Vince, we'll never know.

And for the record, i loved 'Motivational Speaker' DDP. It wasn't a bad thing.... it was a good thing!

So, I was watching old WCW videos and realized I can only think of three ex WCW guys (who came after WWE bought WCW) who won a world title in WWE: Goldberg, Booker, and Mysterio. This kinda pissed me off and got me thinking:

Why did it piss you off? Because they got the title? I don't get what you're saying. Is it because more WCW guys didn't get the title? I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm about to prove you wrong in a minute, but you've yet to clarify what you mean by why you're pissed off.

1. Am I forgetting anyone?

Yes, in fact you are. You're forgetting the following;

Chris Jericho
The Big Show
Ric Flair, far more known for his WCW and NWA stints than WWE
Hulk Hogan, admittedly a WWE product but came back from WCW
Chris Benoit
Eddie Guerrero

So yeah, you're forgetting plenty of people, really. I'm not sure what the complaint is. There's been a good amount of former WCW guys who have gotten the belt. Who were you expecting to win the strap? Did you really want Hugh Morrus as champion? Look, by the time WCW was done, the only guys who could have worn the WWE Strap were far older, and lost their marketability. And the young guys just weren't ready to hold the WWE Title.

2. Did VKM intentioally bury WCW's top guys once he got them?

Again, what about those names don't you understand? If you're marketable, Vince will give you the chance. Nobody got buried in WWE just because they were a part of WCW.

The best example I remember is DDP. Mega over with the WCW crowd and then gets two HORRIBLE fucking gimmicks, and then bailed out.

LOLZ. I remember Positively Page. Best. Gimmick. Evar!

No, in all reality, Page was really too old at the time. He was, what, 43 during his introduction into the WWE? Page had his limits, and Vince McMahon knew it. You can't say he was a young 43 either, because that just isn't true. Page was used just right, and his run with WWE wasn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

I think Vince completely screwed up with his use of WCW's top guns when he bought the company. The dream match would could of seen at the Survivor Series Pay Per View Could of been awesome!!! It should of been The Rock, Austin, Taker, Kane, Y2J VS. Sting, Booker, Goldberg, Nash, Flair but Vince instead had team wwe face team wcw(austing-biggest wwe star in the company, shane omac-son of the owner of wwe, kurt angle-great wwe star, booker and rvd). A complete waste if you ask me. Vince royally screwed up!

Vince had a record of screwing NWA guys like Dusty, Harley and Flair long before the buyout occured.

Guys like Shane Helms, Chuck Palumbo, Lance Storm, Rey Mysterio and Booker T were clearly guys who he probably would have signed in a hearbeat had they come up a couple of years earlier but were now just part of the buyout...

Guys like Bagwell, DDP, Kanyon and Stasiak...Steiner too were guys with reputations and downsides... DDP was far too old to invest much in, Bagwell was an ass and Stasiak ruined it for himself... Kanyon yep, he suffered for his soul... it sucks but true...

The guys who came over pre-buyout made the choice to come to WWE... they worked their way up the rankings and by the time the buyout happened they were WWE in Vinces mind...

Inherently some WCW guys would be as good or better than what he already had and added to the WWE, those guys are the ones who were pushed...but not until they had a period of "dues paying"... Mysterio and Booker lost their first big Wrestlemania matches... but later got pushed... Palumbo, Helms and Storm were always versatile and were used as such... but they all had jobs for most of the decade...

Where Vince's ego did come into it was probably guys like Steiner... who had burned Vince in the past by going back to WCW for ego or money... Scott had to been given the chance to be a major singles star after feuding with Rick but declined it... that they then feuded in WCW would have been a major issue for Vince... hence why Scott suffered... Nash and Hall were the guys who nearly sank his business so no dice...

Goldberg got A push... but he ballsed it up by losing a shoot to Jericho... once that was out it was all over for him.

Vince didn't really bury anyone... but he was quite within his rights not to push them as much as guys who were loyal to him.

I must say that WWE may be better, if Vince would have kept some of the WCW Wrestlers around longer, and done a better angle with the WCW guys, He had 2 not 1 but 2 Wrestling Gaint Companys, and he just threw away the chance for something Bigger.. Now a lot of ppl will prob not agree with that, but thats my view, I was a HUGE WCW and NWO fan, and never watched WWF/E while WCW was around, and I stopped watching wrestling for years after WCW was done..

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back