Did Bret Hart bring the Screwjob situation on himself?

Thank you very much for your true opinion regarding Bret Hart there @relentless1. It doesn't even matter if Shawn Michaels is a problematic person to deal with in the 1990s, only Bret's self-righteousness and hypocrisies are magnified far more so than Michaels' drug addled lifestyle. I think Bret would be the first drug-free person (if he is actually what he claims himself to be) who needs to go to DDP Yoga.

Why doesn't Shawn Michaels' behavior matter? Shawn refused to work with Bret why couldn't Bret do the same thing? Vince let Shawn get away with far more bullshit than he did Bret Hart.

Why doesn't Shawn Michaels' behavior matter? Shawn refused to work with Bret why couldn't Bret do the same thing? Vince let Shawn get away with far more bullshit than he did Bret Hart.

@Makaveli31: Because Bret acted like a self-righteous moral crusader and a hypocrite. Bret criticizes Shawn for playing politics, and acting like he would never do that, and then Bret goes straight ahead and does exactly the same thing. It isn't that Bret was only doing what Shawn did first, it was Bret's self-righteousness in that he was better than Shawn, when his actions in the end show that he was no better. Bret should have agreed to do the job at SS '97, and then could hold the high moral ground. But Bret prefers to play the victim. Shawn played politics, and was a "bastard". The difference was, Shawn never claimed to be anything else (he hadn't cleaned up his life until many years later). Bret pushed his moral stance around, and often spoke about the "immorality" of things that WWE did. It was Bret's self-righteousness and hypocrisy that was the problem.

Also, Shawn said that he knew what was going to happen, everyone else knew what would happen (at SS '97), and he believed, deep down in Bret's heart, Bret "knew" what was going on to. Two scenes in "Wrestling With Shadows" stand out to me. Bret asked Earl Hebner if "something was going down tonight" and if Hebner would call it down the line. Why would he ask Hebner this? If Bret never saw it coming, why would he ask the referee for his match these questions? Also, Bret pulls Vince aside before the match, and goes to talk to him privately in the corner. But Bret is wearing a mike, so we can hear the conversation. Why would Bret record a private conversation, and not tell Vince? I think Bret knew something was going to happen, but maybe not all the details. So to claim to be totally surprised is wrong.

In the end, Bret could have just kicked out of the submission Bret could have refused to do the match. What would Vince do, fire him? He was already leaving, so he could have turned the tables. But no: Bret's personal image is all important to him. He has to look like the good guy in any situation, so he just goes ahead and blames others for things that went wrong, when some (most actually) of it is his own fault.

Short answer Makaveli, Shawn Michaels chose to deal with the wrestling business as a real, mature adult and Bret Hart chose to deal with the wrestling business and the Montreal Screwjob as a petulant overgrown child. The more unsavory stuff I hear about Bret, the more I lose my respect for him and it really makes me wanna respect and applaud Shawn Michaels for putting Bret Hart in his place at the bottom barrel via Montreal Screwjob at the 1997 Survivor Series. In other words, using the Bret vs. Shawn analogy in minor details, I'd rather be a drug addicted honest person who keeps it real 110% all the time than a sober but self-righteous hypocrite/moral crusader who has to play the victim card. The one thing I hate more than getting hooked on drugs is playing the victim card especially as a moral crusader.

Having to choose between a 32-year-old still-in-his prime Shawn Michaels or a 40-year-old Bret Hart on the decline is like having to choose between a superstar or a role player. Obviously, I'd go take my chances with the superstar over the insubordinate role player. AKA, i'd rather go with Mark McGwire than risk taking a chance on a mediocre role player like Billy Ripken. Bret Hart and Billy Ripken are one the same.

This guy just called Bret Hart "Billy Ripken". SMH. Worst poster on the board. I'm done reading this guy's pointless threads.

This guy just called Bret Hart "Billy Ripken". SMH. Worst poster on the board. I'm done reading this guy's pointless threads.

Go get some sleep, @LBGetBack. We can talk more when you are refreshed and ready for more chatter. Apart from that, I'm glad you took a dig at me calling Bret Hart a Billy Ripken. Can somebody launch the new meaning of Billy Ripken on Urban Dictionary or something?

In my opinion, they had other option going into survivor series then screwing bret out of the title. The fact that they had until the end of november to take the title away from him. Bret at one time was ready to drop the belt to shawn until shawn went to bret and told him that if the role we're reverse, he wouldn'T do the honours.

So Bret, who had creative control for his last 30 days, went and propose a scenario we're he would win at survivor series by DQ and then in Ottawa the next day, he would drop the title to Ken Shamrock and they could do what they wanted after. That's the part of the conversation that's never brought up by WWE when talking about the montreal Screwjob is that Bret Was willing to lose clean to somebody else in canada on Raw the following day, he just didn't want to lose to shawn in montreal because he felt disrespected by shawn's Comments.

Bret always put trust in people first and himself second, that's pretty what everybody that knows him says. He trusted Vince and thought of him like a dad, he didn'T want to leave The WWE but vince couldn'T pay him anymore and pretty much help him get his WCW deal. This was pretty much a sign that vince just wanted Bret out of WWE and wanted to move on without him, so it's not surprising that vince would have done that to Bret in the end and no matter how much time as pass and how much the company line is to say that they had no choice at the time, the fact is, they had time to think of something else, Bret had a great exit strategy and it wouldn'T have damage anything they had plan since they we're going to do Shamrock vs HBK anyway at the next PPV so Shawn could have won the belt at the Dx ppv against shamrock instead if vince would have wanted it. So i don'T think Bret brought this on himself at all.

Go get some sleep, @LBGetBack. We can talk more when you are refreshed and ready for more chatter. Apart from that, I'm glad you took a dig at me calling Bret Hart a Billy Ripken. Can somebody launch the new meaning of Billy Ripken on Urban Dictionary or something?

Some trolls are funny. You aren't. Too long winded. Just get to the point and then move on and see what sticks, my man.

@LBGetBack I really believe Bret Hart brought the whole Montreal Screwjob on himself for shooting down all of Vince McMahon's suggestions for Bret to lose to Shawn Michaels and drop the WWF Championship Belt to him. That way, Shawn would be able to eventually drop the WWF Championship Belt to Steve Austin by WrestleMania XIV (14) on March 1998. Bret was the one that actually left for WCW in the end, while Shawn Michaels ended up staying in the Federation for several more months until his back injury took him out for the entirety of the WWF Attitude Era.

So Bret Hart was not justified in refusing to job to Shawn Michaels. It doesn't even matter if Michaels was a badly behaved drug addict backstage or not, this is about Bret Hart's self-righteousness and holier-than-thou backstage attitude that rubbed more people the wrong way. Bret is no better than Shawn in this instance.

Because Bret acted like a self-righteous moral crusader and a hypocrite. Bret criticizes Shawn for playing politics, and acting like he would never do that, and then Bret goes straight ahead and does exactly the same thing. It isn't that Bret was only doing what Shawn did first, it was Bret's self-righteousness in that he was better than Shawn, when his actions in the end show that he was no better. Bret should have agreed to do the job at SS '97, and then could hold the high moral ground. But Bret prefers to play the victim. Shawn played politics, and was a "bastard". The difference was, Shawn never claimed to be anything else (he hadn't cleaned up his life until many years later). Bret pushed his moral stance around, and often spoke about the "immorality" of things that WWE did. It was Bret's self-righteousness and hypocrisy that was the problem.

Bret has admitted this was the first time in his 18 year career he played "backstage politics" and refused to do a job. I don't think one incident (which is controversial) over an 18 year career makes him a "hypocrite" whereas Shawn Michaels has played "politics" on numerous occasions. His only criticism of Michaels' was the bogus knee injury he used to get out of WrestleMania 13. As far as I know, Bret never faked an injury. So his criticism of Shawn is valid. Yes, Bret did express disdain for Shawn's overtly sexual style. So what? That's an opinion. It doesn't make him a hypocrite.

Also, Shawn said that he knew what was going to happen, everyone else knew what would happen (at SS '97), and he believed, deep down in Bret's heart, Bret "knew" what was going on to. Two scenes in "Wrestling With Shadows" stand out to me. Bret asked Earl Hebner if "something was going down tonight" and if Hebner would call it down the line. Why would he ask Hebner this? If Bret never saw it coming, why would he ask the referee for his match these questions? Also, Bret pulls Vince aside before the match, and goes to talk to him privately in the corner. But Bret is wearing a mike, so we can hear the conversation. Why would Bret record a private conversation, and not tell Vince? I think Bret knew something was going to happen, but maybe not all the details. So to claim to be totally surprised is wrong.

Well Bret admits he was warned that "something might go down" a fast pin or something like that due to the problems with the finish. So he admits he knew something MIGHT happen but if the referee (who was a lifelong friend of Bret's) was in his corner then his fears would be assuaged. Hebner is only one who could count a pin or call for the bell. So with Hebner fully in his corner (which he thought) Bret was one up on Shawn and Vince if they tried something. I don't know about the mic thing. Maybe Vince did know. Bret was given permission to film the documentary. I don't see how that has anything to do with it. If anything, Bret would use that conversation to prove he did NOT know anything was going down.

In the end, Bret could have just kicked out of the submission Bret could have refused to do the match. What would Vince do, fire him? He was already leaving, so he could have turned the tables. But no: Bret's personal image is all important to him. He has to look like the good guy in any situation, so he just goes ahead and blames others for things that went wrong, when some (most actually) of it is his own fault.

I agree. The Sharpshooter spot was a red flag but again that spot was suggested by Pat Patterson (another friend of Bret's) so he had thought he had nothing to fear. He had Earl on his side (or so he thought). As far as kicking out, they rand the bell AS SOON as Shawn's put it on so he had no chance too. Bret even says he helped Shawn put it on. He has stated multiple times he could've refused to even show up and walk out BUT Bret was about doing business. He wanted things to be done the right way. He was willing to drop it to Steve Austin or 'Taker BEFORE Survivor Series or willing to drop it AFTER but not to Shawn. Never to Shawn. He felt he had been disrespected by Shawn and Shawn didn't deserve respect in return. Who can blame him?

Short answer Makaveli, Shawn Michaels chose to deal with the wrestling business as a real, mature adult and Bret Hart chose to deal with the wrestling business and the Montreal Screwjob as a petulant overgrown child.
sendpm.gif

So a mature adult would be lying about it for YEARS and even "swearing to God" he knew nothing about it????? Putting on an act in the locker room by throwing the belt and "refusing to accept it" all the while knowing full well you were in on it??? Please. Stop the bullshit.

In other words, using the Bret vs. Shawn analogy in minor details, I'd rather be a drug addicted honest person who keeps it real 110% all the time than a sober but self-righteous hypocrite/moral crusader who has to play the victim card. The one thing I hate more than getting hooked on drugs is playing the victim card especially as a moral crusader.

Having to choose between a 32-year-old still-in-his prime Shawn Michaels or a 40-year-old Bret Hart on the decline is like having to choose between a superstar or a role player. Obviously, I'd go take my chances with the superstar over the insubordinate role player. AKA, i'd rather go with Mark McGwire than risk taking a chance on a mediocre role player like Billy Ripken. Bret Hart and Billy Ripken are one the same.

You think Shawn Michaels was an honest person?!? Do you even know anything about his career?!? Let's see he lied to Marty Jannetty about "having his back" when Marty called WCW. After Vince found out Marty was talking to WCW, Shawn went behind Marty's back and put the heat ALL on Marty. That's when he brought up him splitting with Marty and going singles but he threw Marty under the bus.

Then he lied to Vince and told him Marty was high during their Royal Rumble match getting Marty fired. Curt Hennig called bullshit. Marty was re-hired and they made Shawn put Marty over and punishment. Then he lied about being steroids in 1994 after he tested positive. He was suspended for that. He brought up a bogus knee injury from 1990 to keep from dropping the World title. Then he lied about knowing about the Screwjob right to Bret's face. He could not even admit it man to man. So that's honesty for you.

You think Shawn Michaels was an honest person?!? Do you even know anything about his career?!? Let's see he lied to Marty Jannetty about "having his back" when Marty called WCW. After Vince found out Marty was talking to WCW, Shawn went behind Marty's back and put the heat ALL on Marty. That's when he brought up him splitting with Marty and going singles but he threw Marty under the bus.

Then he lied to Vince and told him Marty was high during their Royal Rumble match getting Marty fired. Curt Hennig called bullshit. Marty was re-hired and they made Shawn put Marty over and punishment. Then he lied about being steroids in 1994 after he tested positive. He was suspended for that. He brought up a bogus knee injury from 1990 to keep from dropping the World title. Then he lied about knowing about the Screwjob right to Bret's face. He could not even admit it man to man. So that's honesty for you.

That was the first half of his wrestling career when Shawn Michaels' mind wasn't really in the right place, despite being a main eventer alongside Bret Hart, The Undertaker and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Michaels' best years from a booking standpoint (ie: main event WWF caliber top draw) also proved to be his worst period from a mental standpoint. He now admits that he himself is to blame for his life spiraling downwards with his own drug addictions in his recent accounts.

The Rockers (Marty Jannetty & Shawn Michaels) were supposed to become the WWF Tag Team Champions because Jim Neidhart's contract was about to expire, and Bret was either unhappy about having to lose to Shawn even in 1990, or it might be because Bret wanted to go singles a year earlier than 1991 but got frustrated about being held down to the tag team ranks once Neidhart was re-signed and The Rockers ended up never getting the Tag Team Championship Belts that they needed.

Hennig was the guy who coined Michaels' nickname "The HeartBreak Kid" aka HBK and Rick Martel was the guy who tutored Michaels on how to play an effective cocky heel taking some notes from Martel's Model gimmick as in just the basic cocky heel tactics with Shawn's own personal spin to it.

Shawn Michaels had been working on one knee since 1990 and he had to be written out via ambush from Paul Roma and Hercules aka Power And Glory, so he must've had a legitimate knee injury for years. His knee injury from 1990 was really legitimate, and he might have aggravated it. Shawn took steroids earlier on in his HBK era because Vince probably wanted him to be a bit big, muscular and tall in case he was due for a main event run in the near future. Once Michaels went down on suspension as punishment when he tested positive for steroids, he probably lost a lot of weight and strength and was made to be smaller as a result.

It was Vince McMahon who told Shawn Michaels not to let Bret know that Shawn was in on the Screwjob for fear that Bret might end up assaulting Shawn Michaels backstage for real, and then Vince would've had to get the security and the police to press charges on Bret Hart. Bret actually wound up with a broken hand after punching Vince in the eye. That in the first place was the reason why Vince ordered a much more powerful security team to keep the peace at the Bell Center in Montreal because the Montreal fans were too super super rowdy that night, and the intense rivalry between Bret and Shawn got too real.

Later on at WrestleMania XIV just a couple months after he broke his back on the casket courtesy of a backbody drop by The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels got increasingly difficult to work with. He even refused to put over Steve Austin and hand over the WWF Championship Belt to him. Even Triple H could sense that he was worried about his best friend's attitude getting increasingly worse, and Undertaker even literally threatened to beat up Shawn Michaels in case HBK decided to bait and switch aka refuse to lose to Austin. Fortunately, Michaels made the right choice in putting Austin over in the end, albeit with some difficulty.

After WM14, HBK was out for the entire Attitude Era while Austin, Rock, HHH, Foley, Undertaker and Kane all went on to be flagship bearers for the Attitude.

His contract wasn't expiring it had already been broken by Vince hence freeing Bret to negotiate with WCW. So his contract at that point was null and void. Bret even says in interviewes he had the right not to even show up at Survivor Series and just just hand the belt back to Vince but he wanted to do it the "right way". He just refused to lose to Shawn Michaels due the reasons I've layed out. He did agree if he were to win at Survivor Series he would a clean 1-2-3 job the next night in Ottawa but "that wasn't good enough for Vince."

I don't think Vince was worried about what Bischoff might do. The word had already leaked that Bret was going to WCW and this was his last match. Vince knew Bret would not pull an "Alundra Blayze" and show up on Nitro with the belt. I think it was about Shawn and Hunter stirring Vince up and making it seem like Bret was the one out of line in demanding how he was to leave the company. I think Vince was frustrated with Bret for negotiating the contract in 1996 and even more frustrated that he was making it hard on Vince to transition to Shawn.

Bischoff did not announce Bret had signed with WCW but he did insinuate it. The NWO showed up with Canadian flags and sang a horrible "O Canada". Bischoff made reference to Bret knocking out Vince but that was it. He did not announce Bret was coming to WCW but everyone knew by that time.

Meltzer says Bret was still contracted to WWF for a few weeks after, he just stopped going to work. Bret said he didn't need to work Survivor Series because he already fulfilled his minimum amount of dates that year.

I believe Bischoff said the next night "I've been working on this for a while... Bret Hart is joining the nWo."

That was the first half of his wrestling career when Shawn Michaels' mind wasn't really in the right place, despite being a main eventer alongside Bret Hart, The Undertaker and "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Michaels' best years from a booking standpoint (ie: main event WWF caliber top draw) also proved to be his worst period from a mental standpoint. He now admits that he himself is to blame for his life spiraling downwards with his own drug addictions in his recent accounts.

Well, the "Screwjob" happened during the "first half" of his career. So he was all those things I described. If you listen to any of the shoot interviews from wrestlers' during that period (not associated with the Kliq) no one blamed Bret for not wanting to put over Shawn. Shawn himself described himself as a "piece of trash" so don't paint him as an honest person when he was not during that time.

Shawn Michaels had been working on one knee since 1990 and he had to be written out via ambush from Paul Roma and Hercules aka Power And Glory, so he must've had a legitimate knee injury for years. His knee injury from 1990 was really legitimate, and he might have aggravated it. Shawn took steroids earlier on in his HBK era because Vince probably wanted him to be a bit big, muscular and tall in case he was due for a main event run in the near future. Once Michaels went down on suspension as punishment when he tested positive for steroids, he probably lost a lot of weight and strength and was made to be smaller as a result.

Well he did pretty good on one knee for seven years!! LOL. Even then, he didn't have surgery. He went to "rehab" for a couple months and was back doing back flips off the top turnbuckle. So whatever it was it wasn't that serious. He could've made WrestleMania if he wanted too.

It was Vince McMahon who told Shawn Michaels not to let Bret know that Shawn was in on the Screwjob for fear that Bret might end up assaulting Shawn Michaels backstage for real, and then Vince would've had to get the security and the police to press charges on Bret Hart. Bret actually wound up with a broken hand after punching Vince in the eye. That in the first place was the reason why Vince ordered a much more powerful security team to keep the peace at the Bell Center in Montreal because the Montreal fans were too super super rowdy that night, and the intense rivalry between Bret and Shawn got too real.

Well how about after? Shawn denied it for years. Even in an RF video shoot in 1999 he still denied it. It wasn't until 2002 he "came clean" after he got "saved."

Later on at WrestleMania XIV just a couple months after he broke his back on the casket courtesy of a backbody drop by The Undertaker, Shawn Michaels got increasingly difficult to work with. He even refused to put over Steve Austin and hand over the WWF Championship Belt to him. Even Triple H could sense that he was worried about his best friend's attitude getting increasingly worse, and Undertaker even literally threatened to beat up Shawn Michaels in case HBK decided to bait and switch aka refuse to lose to Austin. Fortunately, Michaels made the right choice in putting Austin over in the end, albeit with some difficulty.

Right, so you just made my point even stronger. Who could blame Bret Hart for not wanting to work with Shawn Michaels in 1997? The guy was a legit head case.

Meltzer says Bret was still contracted to WWF for a few weeks after, he just stopped going to work. Bret said he didn't need to work Survivor Series because he already fulfilled his minimum amount of dates that year.

Meltzer is an idiot. As soon as one party breaches a contract the ENTIRE contract is nullified. There are no grace periods. As soon as Bret was legally able to negotiate with WCW his WWF contract was invalid.

I believe Bischoff said the next night "I've been working on this for a while... Bret Hart is joining the nWo."

No, he did not say that. He said that Bret Hart was a "knockout" type of guy referencing the knockout of Vince in the locker room

Ummmmmmmmm what exactly were the different scenarios offered him?

1. a huge DQ where Hart foundation and DX run in, Hart gives up the belt the next night on RAW

2. Drop the belt to Austin

3. drop the belt to Shamrock

4. drop the belt to Shawn upon return to the US

Shawn didn't say he wouldn't return the favor. He said he wasn't sure if he would

@Tripleb2k1: And Bret took it personally for nothing, other than being a mark for himself. This is not Olympics/Greco-style Wrestling, WWF is just like any other pro wrestling company where it's scripted. Bret threw the magnum opus of his temper tantrums on November 10, 1997. Shawn just did whatever he was told by Vince. That's what happens when you shoot down all of Vince's suggestions thinking that it's your way or the highway, as what happened in Bret's case. Actually, Shawn as the top WWF draw in '96 meant that WWF was able to sell out Madison Square Garden crowds since the Hogan era, just not as much as Hogan but still reasonably better. When Bret was the WWF's top star from '93-'95, WWF held Raw tapings in small college arenas, because nobody wants top stars to be bland, uncharismatic and monotoned promo cutters. At least Shawn can do any kind of promos, whether it'd be shoot promos or funny comedic promos.

American sports enthusiasts want excitement and toughness. Not bland finesse guys like Bret. If only his prime hadn't been over since SummerSlam '91, I wished Curt Hennig would've been the top draw instead of Bret. That way, it would've saved the WWF from treading on close to bankruptcy. It is exactly what almost came close to happening in 1997, because WWF was even struggling to keep their water coolers running. Despite the Austin/U.S.A. vs. Canada angle in 1997, WWF were still losing money because Bret Hart was paid too much for a top draw who failed to move the needle and live up to expectations as the top draw when Hogan, Savage, Warrior and others from the Golden Era were wrongfully phased out.

I can see a correlation between IWC smarks and real-life Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) in terms of similar attitudes, beliefs, disagreeing with others just because they will only accept your opinion only if it is Social Justice Warriors-approved. Just like what the modern IWC wants from guys like me, they want me to like Bret Hart. I would say to them, I used to have a lot of respect for Bret even though I found his matches boring since 100 more different technical wrestling moves in a 30 minute match, that just isn't gonna cut it for me. That's called 'being a mark for yourself' for a reason. IWC smarks attack me for being critical of Bret, even though my criticism is mostly valid and right on the spot, especially with Bret's two past occasions playing the WCW card, as a sign of a verbal threat to Vince McMahon. Bret played the WCW card first, long before Shawn did. That makes me believe Bret Hart is a Social Justice Warrior because he hated the raunchy Attitude Era, and he hated it because he was never gonna be the top guy in the WWF ever again after 1997. He became a backstage nuisance when he went on talk shows expressing his disdain for the Attitude Era, so Vince probably knew he needed to get Bret out of the WWF A.S.A.P. before Bret could set the WWF into bankruptcy and also ruining the livelihoods of other WWF wrestlers like The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, The Rock and Triple H.

Bret was rumored to have threatened to walk as early as 1991 if the belt wasn’t given to him as a “reward” for a previously stalled singles run. He was meant to be IC champ far sooner as Neidhart had issues with Vince. Later he refused to take the loss to Jacques Rougeau (likely due to the fight Jacques had with Dynamite Kid that directly led to his fall into obscurity and addiction) even if it was only to get the title onto Piper… eventually he relented with the faked fever angle and a non televised loss. It was rumored he again played the WCW card in 1992 to get the World title as a reward for as he saw it “carrying Davey” in the Summerslam match and he again threw plans into disarray in 1996 by demanding time off (while negotiating with WCW no less) and being gone for most of the year, just as the NWO was breaking and he was needed most.

Vince McMahon's guest appearance on Off The Record in 1998 showed a ring of truth about Bret Hart backstage. Michael Landsberg is a biased Bret Hart fan, and Vince assumed the real reason why Bret left WWF for WCW was because Bret was becoming difficult to work with, given that he was against the Attitude Era. Add his hatred of Shawn Michaels, and both of them cannot co-exist anymore so Bret had to leave. Bret was no saint backstage, by his own confession he was a womanizer and the Sunny Days line was more an issue as it shined a light on his behaviour and tarnished his image rather than it being personal beef with Shawn.

Vince could have thrown Bret under the bus on Off The Record with even half of what had truly gone on over the years but elected not to do so… Had the man so against the raunchy new era been exposed as a philanderer who regularly cheated on his wife and slept with fellow performers, basically exposing him as a hypocrite. Bret was dead and buried… Instead Vince took the high ground to an extent, he got his digs in, but they were subtle and focused on his legit lack of professionalism and selfishness in those final 24 hours.

@Tripleb2k1: And Bret took it personally for nothing, other than being a mark for himself. This is not Olympics/Greco-style Wrestling, WWF is just like any other pro wrestling company where it's scripted. Bret threw the magnum opus of his temper tantrums on November 10, 1997. Shawn just did whatever he was told by Vince. That's what happens when you shoot down all of Vince's suggestions thinking that it's your way or the highway, as what happened in Bret's case. Actually, Shawn as the top WWF draw in '96 meant that WWF was able to sell out Madison Square Garden crowds since the Hogan era, just not as much as Hogan but still reasonably better. When Bret was the WWF's top star from '93-'95, WWF held Raw tapings in small college arenas, because nobody wants top stars to be bland, uncharismatic and monotoned promo cutters. At least Shawn can do any kind of promos, whether it'd be shoot promos or funny comedic promos.

American sports enthusiasts want excitement and toughness. Not bland finesse guys like Bret. If only his prime hadn't been over since SummerSlam '91, I wished Curt Hennig would've been the top draw instead of Bret. That way, it would've saved the WWF from treading on close to bankruptcy. It is exactly what almost came close to happening in 1997, because WWF was even struggling to keep their water coolers running. Despite the Austin/U.S.A. vs. Canada angle in 1997, WWF were still losing money because Bret Hart was paid too much for a top draw who failed to move the needle and live up to expectations as the top draw when Hogan, Savage, Warrior and others from the Golden Era were wrongfully phased out.

I can see a correlation between IWC smarks and real-life Social Justice Warriors (SJWs) in terms of similar attitudes, beliefs, disagreeing with others just because they will only accept your opinion only if it is Social Justice Warriors-approved. Just like what the modern IWC wants from guys like me, they want me to like Bret Hart. I would say to them, I used to have a lot of respect for Bret even though I found his matches boring since 100 more different technical wrestling moves in a 30 minute match, that just isn't gonna cut it for me. That's called 'being a mark for yourself' for a reason. IWC smarks attack me for being critical of Bret, even though my criticism is mostly valid and right on the spot, especially with Bret's two past occasions playing the WCW card, as a sign of a verbal threat to Vince McMahon. Bret played the WCW card first, long before Shawn did. That makes me believe Bret Hart is a Social Justice Warrior because he hated the raunchy Attitude Era, and he hated it because he was never gonna be the top guy in the WWF ever again after 1997. He became a backstage nuisance when he went on talk shows expressing his disdain for the Attitude Era, so Vince probably knew he needed to get Bret out of the WWF A.S.A.P. before Bret could set the WWF into bankruptcy and also ruining the livelihoods of other WWF wrestlers like The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Shawn Michaels, Steve Austin, The Rock and Triple H.

Bret was rumored to have threatened to walk as early as 1991 if the belt wasn’t given to him as a “reward” for a previously stalled singles run. He was meant to be IC champ far sooner as Neidhart had issues with Vince. Later he refused to take the loss to Jacques Rougeau (likely due to the fight Jacques had with Dynamite Kid that directly led to his fall into obscurity and addiction) even if it was only to get the title onto Piper… eventually he relented with the faked fever angle and a non televised loss. It was rumored he again played the WCW card in 1992 to get the World title as a reward for as he saw it “carrying Davey” in the Summerslam match and he again threw plans into disarray in 1996 by demanding time off (while negotiating with WCW no less) and being gone for most of the year, just as the NWO was breaking and he was needed most.

Vince McMahon's guest appearance on Off The Record in 1998 showed a ring of truth about Bret Hart backstage. Michael Landsberg is a biased Bret Hart fan, and Vince assumed the real reason why Bret left WWF for WCW was because Bret was becoming difficult to work with, given that he was against the Attitude Era. Add his hatred of Shawn Michaels, and both of them cannot co-exist anymore so Bret had to leave. Bret was no saint backstage, by his own confession he was a womanizer and the Sunny Days line was more an issue as it shined a light on his behaviour and tarnished his image rather than it being personal beef with Shawn.

Vince could have thrown Bret under the bus on Off The Record with even half of what had truly gone on over the years but elected not to do so… Had the man so against the raunchy new era been exposed as a philanderer who regularly cheated on his wife and slept with fellow performers, basically exposing him as a hypocrite. Bret was dead and buried… Instead Vince took the high ground to an extent, he got his digs in, but they were subtle and focused on his legit lack of professionalism and selfishness in those final 24 hours.

Yeah, nobody agrees. Move on.

Also, way too long. Get to the point. Your thoughts just aren't interesting enough to justify using that many words. Wrap that sh$t up, b.

Damn straight Bret deserved it, walking around in those tight low cut singlet tops and curve hugging pants.

But no, while no one is innocent in all this, Bret was lied to and lying is wrong. He may be a bitter ass and difficult to deal with but he was ultimately the victim. Not that it should matter much, he was lied to about a professional wrestling match. He had a big fat paycheck waiting for him somewhere else. Everyone is fine, except Owen.

Damn straight Bret deserved it, walking around in those tight low cut singlet tops and curve hugging pants.

But no, while no one is innocent in all this, Bret was lied to and lying is wrong. He may be a bitter ass and difficult to deal with but he was ultimately the victim. Not that it should matter much, he was lied to about a professional wrestling match. He had a big fat paycheck waiting for him somewhere else. Everyone is fine, except Owen.

@George Steele's Barber : Bret Hart was being increasingly difficult to deal with, business-wise. He hated the Attitude Era because of the sexually charged atmosphere and the tense racism wars, not only that, but he also hated the cold hard dose of reality that he was NOT going to be WWF's main top guy any longer. Him staying would've not only taken opportunities away from The Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H and Mick Foley, but the WWF was very very close to being bankrupt thanks to Bret's 20-year deal. 20 years is too much for someone who failed to move the needle as the WWF's top draw from '92-'95, and was gonna be the ultimate reason why he almost took the WWF to the crapper if Hulk Hogan did NOT come back from a year of hiatus to save the show from poor buyrates because of Bret being too green as a main eventer.

He HAD to be lied to for good reason, because Bret already turned down Vince's suggestions to lose to Shawn Michaels and drop the WWF Championship Belt to him in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Montreal wasn't even Bret's hometown, Bret's hometown is actually from Calgary, Alberta. Knowing the legit hatred that both Bret and HBK had for each other, Vince warned Shawn not to tell Bret that he (Shawn) was in on the Screwjob, as only Vince was supposed to be involved in the Screwjob. Vince also feared that Bret might lose his temper and beat the stuffings out of Shawn Michaels for a second time. Who knows? Vince would've had good reason to call the police and have Bret Hart locked up behind bars for a long time, since the guy can't even tell a difference between Olympic Greco wrestling and Sports Entertainment wrestling.

Bret Hart was being increasingly difficult to deal with, business-wise. He hated the Attitude Era because of the sexually charged atmosphere and the tense racism wars, not only that, but he also hated the cold hard dose of reality that he was NOT going to be WWF's main top guy any longer. Him staying would've not only taken opportunities away from The Rock, Steve Austin, Triple H and Mick Foley, but the WWF was very very close to being bankrupt thanks to Bret's 20-year deal. 20 years is too much for someone who failed to move the needle as the WWF's top draw from '92-'95, and was gonna be the ultimate reason why he almost took the WWF to the crapper if Hulk Hogan did NOT come back from a year of hiatus to save the show from poor buyrates because of Bret being too green as a main eventer.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! What are you talking about?!? He turned heel at Vince's request. He became an "anti-American heel" against his better judgement at Vince's request. Then Vince turns off his heat and gives it to Shawn!!! So how is that "difficult" to deal with?!? Yes, he did not like the overt sexualism and racism. He felt such smut had no place in the business. He wasn't the only who felt that BTW. Many old school wrestlers, announcers, managers, promoters did not like the direction the WWE was going at the time. It's does not make him "difficult". He lost the title to Sid without putting up a fight unlike Shawn who faked an injury (or at least one had been wrestling with since 1990).

The WWE was not close to bankrupt because of Bret's contract. He was BARELY a year into it. Do you really buy the WWE was "close" to bankrupt?!? Please. It was excuse Vince used. Business had been down in the States for several years plus add the fact that Vince was fighting the federal government at the same time but the WWF wa snever "close to bankrupt." Bret Hart's contract had little to do with the WWF's financial situation. Shawn was making $750,000 at the time. Bret was only the top guy in 1994, Luger was the top guy in '93 and Diesel was the top guy in '95 so THEY failed to move the needle.

Wrong, wrong, wrong!!! What are you talking about?!? He turned heel at Vince's request. He became an "anti-American heel" against his better judgement at Vince's request. Then Vince turns off his heat and gives it to Shawn!!! So how is that "difficult" to deal with?!? Yes, he did not like the overt sexualism and racism. He felt such smut had no place in the business. He wasn't the only who felt that BTW. Many old school wrestlers, announcers, managers, promoters did not like the direction the WWE was going at the time. It's does not make him "difficult". He lost the title to Sid without putting up a fight unlike Shawn who faked an injury (or at least one had been wrestling with since 1990).

The WWE was not close to bankrupt because of Bret's contract. He was BARELY a year into it. Do you really buy the WWF was "close" to bankrupt?!? Please. It was excuse Vince used. Business had been down in the States for several years plus add the fact that Vince was fighting the federal government at the same time but the WWF wa snever "close to bankrupt." Bret Hart's contract had little to do with the WWF's financial situation. Shawn was making $750,000 at the time. Bret was only the top guy in 1994, Luger was the top guy in '93 and Diesel was the top guy in '95 so THEY failed to move the needle.

Name me the old school wrestlers, announcers, managers and promoters other than Bret Hart who hated the Attitude Era, a direction those guys didn't like at that timeframe.

Because Hogan, Hall, Nash, Flair and Warrior are old-school guys who were all in talks of jumping ship back to the WWF around either at least the end of 1997 or early 1998. Hogan was gonna become a free agent after Starrcade '97, Waltman got fired by Bischoff via FedEx for injury or drugs to show Hall/Nash who's boss that's why Hall and Nash contemplated going back to the WWF, and last but not least, when Flair got fired for no-showing a WCW Thunder taping about a Four Horsemen reunion, that's why even WWF fans wanted Ric Flair to be back in the wrestling scene, by chanting "We Want Flair" even at professional sports arenas. Hogan, Flair, Outsiders and Warrior all would've been interesting to see in WWF 1998 at a time when Mike Tyson was brought in to build up Steve Austin's feud with Shawn Michaels.

BTW, Hogan, Hall, Nash and Flair were all on WWF TV when the F still had the WWF scratch logo in 2002 (Flair in late 2001) shortly before WWF made the name change to WWE. As for you, I guess I admit I don't quite see your POV the same way I do. But that's ok. The IWC is like a wild crossfire for me because they are always quick to flame you when you speak legit criticism of Bret Hart. I actually respect your facts on a personal level, Makaveli. No other Bret fan (especially a smark by the name of Tony Rongo, you can find him on Google+ as he loiters around on the Anti-Smark wrestling communities pages) ever overglorifies Bret the same way Rongo does.

Look up Tony Rongo on Google images and you will be amazed to see what he truly was and always has been.

Name me the old school wrestlers, announcers, managers and promoters other than Bret Hart who hated the Attitude Era, a direction those guys didn't like at that timeframe.

Let's see Bruno Sammartino, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ted DiBiase, Jim Cornette, Owen Hart, Arn Anderson, Warrior, Roddy Piper, Brian Blair, Jerry Jarrett, Ricky Morton, Manny Fernandez, Robert Gibson, Magnum TA, Bill Watts, Raod Warriors Animal and Hawk need I go on?

Because Hogan, Hall, Nash, Flair and Warrior were all in talks of jumping ship back to the WWF around either at least the end of 1997 or early 1998. Hogan was gonna become a free agent after Starrcade '97, Waltman got fired by Bischoff via FedEx for injury or drugs to show Hall/Nash who's boss that's why Hall and Nash contemplated going back to the WWF, and last but not least, when Flair got fired for no-showing a WCW Thunder taping about a Four Horsemen reunion, that's why even WWF fans wanted Ric Flair to be back in the wrestling scene, by chanting "We Want Flair". Hogan, Flair, Outsiders and Warrior all would've been interesting to see in WWF 1998 at a time when Mike Tyson was brought in to build up Steve Austin's feud with Shawn Michaels.

BTW, Hogan, Hall, Nash and Flair were all on WWF TV when the F had the WWF scratch logo by 2002 (Flair in late 2001).
sendpm.gif

That's all bullshit. Do you really believe everything you read on the Internet?!? LOL!!

Hall Nash Flair were all UNDER CONTRACT. Even if they wanted too, they could not "jump ship."

Hogan was never going back in 1997/98 do you realize he was being paid 12 million dollars a year?!? That was some bullshit Bruce Prichard put out to sell some DVD's. Hogan has never said he ever considered going back,

Warrior said he "faxed a contract in the middle of the night before he went to WCW" but there were no discussions.

Let's see Bruno Sammartino, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ted DiBiase, Jim Cornette, Owen Hart, Arn Anderson, Warrior, Roddy Piper, Brian Blair, Jerry Jarrett, Ricky Morton, Manny Fernandez, Robert Gibson, Magnum TA, Bill Watts, Road Warriors Animal and Hawk need I go on?

That's all bullshit. Do you really believe everything you read on the Internet?!? LOL!!

Hall, Nash and Flair were all UNDER CONTRACT. Even if they wanted too, they could not "jump ship."

Hogan was never going back in 1997/98 do you realize he was being paid 12 million dollars a year?!? That was some bullshit Bruce Pritchard put out to sell some DVD's. Hogan has never said he ever considered going back,

Warrior said he "faxed a contract in the middle of the night before he went to WCW" but there were no discussions.

A potential 1998 run in the WWF for Warrior would have been the most interesting out of all of Warrior's past WWF runs, with his first stint in the WWF from '87-'91 being his best work for his standards, and his second with the WWF in 1992 was close to putting him back in the main event because he challenged Savage for the WWF Championship Belt at SummerSlam '92 at Wembley but never won it, and his third stint with the WWF (1996) was most likely forgettable because Warrior was saddled with Jerry Lawler, Goldust, British Bulldog and Owen Hart in midcard feuds.

Whereas Warrior stuck around as a superhero face for the 1980s/early 1990s, Attitude was a late '90s theme and anti-heroes were the guys people wanted to be, so Warrior would've had to have at least a character modification, aka having to go heel because the top spots were occupied by Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Chyna, Undertaker, Mick Foley and Kane, so Warrior would've had to be essentially an exaggerated version of himself parodying his real-life backstage behavior and his reputation as an attitude problem behind-the-scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back