Devils' Brodeur out 3-4 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishCanadian25

Going on 10 years with WrestleZone
This is the worst thing that could have happened to a NJ sports fan, since Marty Brodeur is the greatest sports figure in NJ sports history, hands down. This may also mark the end of the Devils' streak of playoff appearances at 11 (since the '05 season was cancelled), forcing them to sit at home in April and May for the first time since the let down of 1996.

ALERT: Brodeur out three to four months with torn biceps tendon
Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur will have surgery Thursday morning to repair a torn distal biceps tendon in his left elbow and will miss three to four months, Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said this morning.

Lamoriello said Brodeur is expected to make a full recovery and should make it back in time for the end of the regular season.

"It could take anywhere from three to four months," Lamoriello said.

I hope to have some comments from Brodeur later today. Brodeur has never missed more than six games in a row due to injury.

"This is not a career-ending injury," Lamoriello said. "This is a bump in the road. (He'll have) a total recovery, 100 percent and with this type of surgery there is no doubt about and I have total confidence that he will be back in a short period of time. That's not a long period of time. Would we want it to be less? Absolutely, but it is what it is at this given time and you go forward. There are other injuries that could have been worse. Not that you want any. But I look at the positive side."

Brodeur was injured in the second period of Saturday's 6-1 win over Atlanta. He fully extended his left arm to try to make a catching glove save on a shot that went wide and immediately grabbed his left elbow afterward. Lamoriello said he didn't know if this injury occurred at that moment or if it was a wear and tear thing that built up over time.

"It's something you never know if it occurred at that moment," Lamoriello said. "He feels fine right now. He has no swelling. He has no anything. No black and blue. He's gone through an extensive diagnosis over the last couple of days with MRIs so there was no chance of anything. The decision made this morning was to go ahead and we're all totally comfortable it's the right decision."

Kevin Weekes, who now takes over as the Devils' No. 1 goaltender, had surgery to repair a torn biceps tendon in his left arm this summer. Lamoriello was unsure if this is the same tendon.

"I couldn't say it's the exact same thing because they're all different," Lamoriello said.

This could be devastating for the Devils season.

"When you have a Marty Brodeur as a goaltender and he's out for a significant amount of time sure it certainly gives you a knot in your stomach, but you have move forward," Devils coach Brent Sutter said. "I'm confident and I trust the players here that they will do what needs to be done to move forward."

"Injuries are part of the game," Lamoriello said. "There's no question Martin Brodeur is an integral part of our team. This is where other people have opportunities. Other people have to step up, but you don't approach it any other way. I still feel strongly about our team. We'll be getting some people part shortly, but the people in that locker room right now have more than the abilities to do what's necessary to have success."

Lamoriello said he does not feel the need to trade for another goaltender.

Truely some of the best news ever for my team, and one player in particular on my team. Roberto Luongo may finally get some of the praise he deserves this year. Maybe some of the media eyes from the east may look to Vancouver for the new king of the net. Sure it sucks when your team loses their top goalie, but New Jersey can always bounce back, and Brodeur has the chance to come back to help his team reach the playoffs. In the meantime, the season is Luongo's. The man already leads in shutouts by 3, and is making his way up the standings in most categories in a very tough division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back