• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Deralicts

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
funny word for homeless people. Just a thread about how you react to the homeless, or needy. How are you about "sparing any change" and things of that nature??

Personally....I always give them money. I admit it. I figure 1. 5 dollars will mean a lot more to them, than me. Ive been so blessed to have plentiful money, there is no problem with me giving a little big to the big wide open blue. 2. I know what its like to not have a pot to piss in. It fucking sucks. You just never know how you may effect someone.

What do you guys do??

Well, I have nothing against homeless people, but I never give them money. I work for my money, I'll spend it on me, and what I need. I hate it when these men just follow me around asking for money. It's awful in Leeds city centre. Do you really think I'm going to give you money if you're following me, touching me? No way.

It wouldn't be as bad if they just left people alone, and people gave them money of their own accord, but to keep pestering loads of people for their hard earned money, it just makes me want you to be kicked repeatedly to death.

And homelessness isn't my problem to sort out, it's the governments.

I also have nothing against the homeless. When I went to New York City I ran into them all the time. It really is sad that they have hit such a low point that they dont even try and look for work, or maybe they can't work.

I dont know how I feel about giving money to the homeless. I once gave 10 dollars to one. He said he needed it for food, so I didnt think i had a problem with it. The thing is after I gave him the money he walked down the street and right into the Ligour Store. I felt real cheated. Thats why I dont give my money out anymore. Instead I will actually buy them the food.

I always hope and pray that one day these guys will get their life together. I also pray that they have God in their lives, because with God everything is possible.

Once, I ran into a homeless person, and he asked me for money. I think he was pretty desperate. asking a 12 year old. I didn't have any money and I felt terrible because I'd just left him there. But I always give money when I have it.

Just like NorCal, I too understand what its like to be in a piss poor situation for part of my life. While I don't have $5.00 to spare toward those even less fortunate, any change I have ends up finding its way to one of numerous banks. (which even then, I don't know if that helps anything other than a major well known company)

The fact is, I'm barely "head above water" with money, however if I can look at the situation as I have things like satellite, internet and the ability to buy video games. Then I look at the situation that I have it far greater than those who don't even have the ability to buy food on a daily basis. As a result, me giving any amount of money I can, when I can, is the very least I can do.

When a homeless come to my house and ask for money my mom neves gives then money she always gives them food or clothes because se says that theu don't buy food or anything all they do is buy durgs, but I always give them money behind my mom's back, and they always return once per month but somethimes they get mad because they want more money than I give them and they can be soooooo anoying.

But I think that if you can help you should help because one day you might need their help, and if you don't help them why they should help you?.

I really have experienced no major problems with them, all I feel for them is immense pity- for the homeless ones. For the bums/ hobos, I could care less, they annoy me sometimes with how they beg and harass passer bys for a few coins, yes I know things are tough, but the bad thing is when they get that money, they spend it on rum or drugs. Which is why my mom, when they ask her for a dollar to buy a biscuit or something, she buys it for them herself.

I do feel sorry when I'm unable to help some of them, i'm a sucker for that type of shit.

I don't give away money. Not to charity (possibly another thread idea) or homeless people. Not my problem. I'm not homeless. I couldn't give a shit about the plight of those smelly guys. Sure some don't have the choice. They've come from abusive families and as a result have ended up with nowhere to live. But they didn't have to do that. If they had brainsthey would have realized that there are places to go. They would have been sorted out with a home in no time.

Some are on drugs. Fuck them. Let them waste their life getting stoned by a canal. Not my problem. If I give them money how exactly is that going to change their life? They aren't going to buy a house with the change in my pocket. They're probably not even going to buy food, considering they probably won't be allowed in shops.

Some people chose to be homeless. Get a fuckin' job I say. Lazy *****.

I'll always dish out a buck or two to someone that ask. I know that has to be the most shameful feeling one could ever have to ask a complete stranger for money, and I just feel bad for them. I know I personally could never do it. I have way too much pride and am way to shy in front of people I don't know anyway to ever consider asking someone I don't know for something. Hell, to this day, if I need something from my mom, I get a nervous feeling before asking. Always have, even though she usually comes through for me. So I can't imagine asking a complete and total stranger for money or anything else.

But yeah, I'm not hesitant at all to give someone some change. I know most of them are either drunks or drug addicts, but my father had that problem and I can sort of sympathize with them (though my dad never ended up being homeless, thank God). My dad has support from his family and friends; whereas I’m sure most homeless people never had that luxury.

When a homeless come to my house and ask for money my mom neves gives then money she always gives them food or clothes because se says that theu don't buy food or anything all they do is buy durgs, but I always give them money behind my mom's back, and they always return once per month but somethimes they get mad because they want more money than I give them and they can be soooooo anoying.

But I think that if you can help you should help because one day you might need their help, and if you don't help them why they should help you?.

They come to your house?!? Wtf?!? I would beat the shit out of them if they came to my house, and got pissed if I didn't give them enough.

Anyway, about the homeless, while a lot of mental illnesses, most are just trying to buy crack, heroin, alcohol, and (for the Canadian ones) Tim Horton's coffee. Why should I support their addiction, when they can easily go to a hospital, (for free, no less), kick their addiction, live at a few homeless shelters, and go find work. I do throw in the odd loonie in a street performer's hat, or someone who looks like they really need it, but I worked for this money, and I deserve it.

And BTW to Save LVegas, you may wanna consider moving some place where bums stay in their own little areas, rather than have the nerve to walk to your front door and beg. Just my two cents.

Thankfully, I'm in a part of southern New Jersey that's 15 minutes away from Philadelphia, but we have no homeless people here, so I don't have to deal with it.

However, my point of view on the situation is rather complex.

I don't give money away to anything. While some consider that being greedy, I don't. Greed is wanting excessive amounts. This is just me not giving my money to other people out of pity.

One of the reasons that I don't give out my money is because I'm not rich. If I gave money every time I was asked to, I'd be poor and I'd turn into someone begging for money. Another reason is, sadly, out of spite. How many times a day do I have to get a phone call from some organization that may or may not even be real, asking me for a donation? One of the things that bothers me the most is how rude they can be. They're essentially telemarketers on a guilt trip. After they go through their whole presentation, they ask how much you're willing to give. If you say, "I'm sorry, but I can't help you out at this time", some of them have the nerve to say "well we'll just put you down for the minimum donation". No, asshole, I said I'm not giving you any money. Typically, they'll follow this with "but the minimum donation is only 20 dollars". Ok, if 20 dollars doesn't seem like a lot of money to you, why are you asking me for it? Its only 20 dollars.

Charities, I just think its a waste of money in the long run. Why do we have 100 different charitable organizations for each different disease/cause, instead of one per? Why isn't there just "The Breast Cancer Research Fund", and no more for breast cancer? If there was only one charity, less of the donation money you spend would have to go towards expenses. And please, we all know that my 50 cents isn't going to cure cancer. The only reason we don't have cures for a lot of diseases is because certain people don't want it. Suppressed technology isn't just a conspiracy theory, its true, and it applies to everything, including medicine.

So those things put me on the edge for giving money out in the first place.

Then, with homeless people, its one of two things: A) Unfortunate that they ran into such bad luck that their lives turned out this way. B) Pathetic.

I have never, will never, and cannot see how anyone else can, have sympathy for anybody who ruins their lives because of drugs and alcohol. You knew what you were getting into when you started. Don't start smoking cigarettes, then complain that you're addicted, and then complain that your lungs are shit. The risks were beaten into your brain since you were 5. Thusly, the last thing I want to do is give money to a homeless person who is going to turn it into a purchase of drugs, alcohol, or cigarettes.

Frankly, I don't know why homeless people don't just try to steal things. If they get away with it, they get something, but if they don't, what's the worst that could happen? They get sent to jail, where they have a clean bed, daily food, shelter, shower, and a chance at an education that they could use?

Its really a shame that we can't solve two major issues that both Democrats and Republicans complain about...think about this: One of the issues people talk about a lot is the fact that illegal immigrants are being paid less than minimum wage to work in this country. The businesses obviously want to spend less money on employees so that their revenue is higher. People complain about the homeless. People complain about the economy. Well, what if we set some kind of a rule where it would be legal to hire homeless people under minimum wage, which gives the homeless people some money to help better their lives, keeps the businesses happy, and takes those jobs away from the immigrants? Who's to complain? "Oh, so homeless people aren't worthy of minimum wage?" Its not exactly fair, but its a better option than them NOT getting the job and it going to someone else, isn't it? Wouldn't you rather be living in a cruddy apartment than on the street or living in a house than an apartment? Of course, I don't know the logistics of how to structure such an idea, but still, lol.

Anyway, I'm straying from the concept of the thread a little here. All in all, I don't run into homeless people, so I don't give money to them, but I most likely wouldn't even if I did, because I don't give my own money away to any charity or pity case simply because I don't feel it makes any significant positive difference in the long run. I feel bad for the ones that are in this mess just due to bad luck, but then again, nobody living in a mansion feels bad for me and helps me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back