Debut and win the Royal Rumble

ATLMIATEX

Occasional Pre-Show
The title is self-explanatory. Winning the RR is huge in WWE obviously, instead of having a proven veteran win it, why not a rookie that WWE is high on. I'm not sure of the names on the market right now, but I think it would be one of the best debuts in history and certainly put someone over.

When it comes to pro wrestling, especially in this day and age, every decision promoters make can be a double edged sword. I suppose the same could be true in any number of businesses.

If WWE gave a rookie a win at the Royal Rumble, it'd be thought of as a risky move by just about anybody. On one hand, I can't count the number of times I've heard fans and dirtsheet writers complain about Vince not taking enough chances, not being willing to gamble. Such a decision would generate a great deal of buzz and speculation as to what will ultimately happen. Fans say they want something to be unpredictable and WWE putting someone who is "unproven" in a top match at the biggest show of the year qualifies as a genuine gamble. On the other hand, what happens if the rookie winner of the Royal Rumble gets a lukewarm reception in the weeks following and headed into WrestleMania? Even if WWE pushes said rookie to the moon, that's no guarantee that fans are going to rally around him as a heel or face. A lack of positive reaction from fans could lead to a lackluster championship match at the biggest show of the year and could contribute to a poor buyrate, poor for WrestleMania that is. If the guy is a flop, then you'll have many of the same fans & dirtsheet writers who've complained about the lack of unpredictability and all that licking their chops to lay into Vince, Triple H, Stephanie, WWE's creative team, etc. with one complaint after another. When it comes to unpredictability, when it comes to the internet fans and dirthseet writers alike, I've learned that in a great many cases, what's wanted isn't "unpredictability" so much as it's "just do EXACTLY what I think should be done in EXACTLY the way I want it done and we'll get along just fine" that's really wanted.

It's a cool idea, but it will never happen. The winner of the Royal Rumble gets an immediate title match at Wrestlemania. Nobody is going to get a world title match at the biggest show of the year during their first two months on the main roster. Even Brock Lesnar and Sheamus had to work their way up to their initial title wins and they got to a WWE Championship reign extremely quickly compared to most wrestlers in the federation. The Royal Rumble victory needs to go to someone WWE can trust with a huge Wrestlemania push. This takes months and months of hard work to earn and no matter how good someone is in developmental, they still must earn their spot on the card once they get to Raw/Smackdown. I'm fine with a debut in the Royal Rumble but someone winning the thing in his very first match? I highly doubt that will ever happen.

That could work, but only for a relevant wrestler that makes his debut in the WWE. Right now there aren't any relevant wrestling names outside the company because there isn't any other company at the smae level with the WWE.

It could be possible back in WCW days or back in territories day, but not now.

Jack-Hammer said it best. Rookies can't win such big matches in their debut. It's "bad for bussiness".

Although it would make an interesting storyline back in 1999 when WCW was around. Let's say that Sting debut in the WWE and wins or The Rock debuts in WCW and wins the WCW WW3 match. But I said it can't happen now.

As I was reading the thread and responses the only wrestler to come to mind who won the Rumble as a newcomer was Yokozuna. He debuted sometime during the second half of 92. Had his ppv debut at the 92 Survivor Series squashing Virgil, and than went on to win the 93 Rumble to set up his title match against Bret. We all know what happened at Mania IX, but Yoko ended up having a nearly year long title reign and was the WWF's best heel in 93 and 94.

Outside of Yoko, I guess the next closest thing would be Del Rio, when he won the 2011 Rumble. If I remember correctly he debuted in the 2nd half of 2010 so his story is much like Yoko's. However, Del Rio had more of a wrestling history which added to his legitimacy because I don't remember a lot of people thinking he was too young, or too new to win the event.

I would have no problem with giving the Rumble to a hot new rookie, but you have to be sure he is a main eventer. Its gotta be a Brock Lesnar type situation where you know from his debut the WWE Title is in his immediate future.

I can't think of anyone currently in NXT this would really suit, with only the slightest possibilities being Kashius Ohno and Leo Kruger (just based on size for Leo) but I think it's a cool idea. Carlito won the US title in his TV debut, Santino won the IC title in his, Gail Kim won the women's in hers, and there have been several people who have won the WWE or WHC within their first year, so I don't think it's that far fetched an idea.

If you started running vignettes for the guy a month or two out from RR (but didn't say when he was going to debut), had him come in at like number 20-25, and clean house in a convincing way, I think the fans would eat it up. The most important thing would be that unless he's a heel you would want to make sure the last people still in the ring that he eliminates aren't anyone that people are desperate to see win it, like you'd almost want to fill the ring with guys that the fans love to hate such as Cena, Khali, Miz, Big Show, etc.

Whoever they did it with would still have 2 months to build their character up to Mania, and if they challenged for the WHC, it's not "really" the main event anyway between the WWE title and the Undertaker match, so I think it would just be another big element for the Mania, I know I'd be interested to see it.

I love this idea, even if I'm quite sure we'll have another big-return for the winning of the Rumble (Cena, or Sheamus, or even Batista (my dream).

If your hypothesis could be too hard, we can think about a semi-rookie winner. For example, the new leader of a strong faction who never wins any title before... yeah, I'm thinking to Bray Wyatt. He has two big enforces and he can do what Randy Orton do some years ago with the help of the legacy. Then, he can choose his opponent for Wrestlemania, and choose not a belt, but the streak... why not?

Remember when The Undertaker was going into WrestleMania in a tag team match against Big Show and A-Train? Can you call up to memory who it was that was going to be his partner, that would have resulted in a huge push for that star? A little known guy by the name of Nathan Jones?

Yeah, as interesting of a concept as a rookie winning the Royal Rumble is, I highly doubt WWE has that much faith in its newer talent. Generally you pay your dues before climbing the ladder. One does not simply start up there. Drew McIntyre was Vince's "Chosen One", a gimmick he debut with that was going to shake things up. Now he resides in a comedy group. Khali came in and practically killed Undertaker with one hit. WWE is probably afraid of dropping the ball some more.

Look back at all the Royal Rumble winners and how well they stack up to WWE's history. Now imagine a guy nobody knows whether to truly cheer or boo just wins one of the most prolific bouts in your company's repertoire. You're putting a shitload of faith in someone who may walk out the next night.

It could be done as the ultimate WWE Rocky story, a rookie debuts at the royal rumble and is getting his ass handed to him then mid way through the match he gets thrown to the outside under the bottom rope so even though he is completely beaten and battered he is not eliminated. (maybe it could be a storyline that the fan wins an opportunity to fight in it)

Come the end of the match a heel looks like he is the winner before the last face that got eliminated comes back in and dumps him over the rope reminding the referees about the rookie still on the outside.

Everybody is saying the rookie cannot win at wrestlemania until one wrestler or ex wrestler agrees to train him and over the next two months you see him building up the rookie until wrestlemania letting him score some big wins and noticably improve along the way. Could work.

Due to the fact that the winner of the Royal Rumble gets a shot at either the WWE Championship or the World Heavyweight Championship I think this is very much possible. I mean when was the last time we saw the World Heavyweight title match being the main event of any PPV? They can just have the new guy face the World Heavyweight champion instead of putting him in the WWE title match which probably will be one of the main events. This allows them to give that guy a huge push like you said while not taking a huge risk by letting him main event Wrestlemania right away, which is seen as a tremendous honor that is earned. It's not like the WHC has many memorable feuds built around it anyways.

This would be a major risk and probaly would only work with a wrestler who already has a name out there. maybe a guy from roh or tna.
i think rr winner would be a great debut, but it would be to risky, also they would have to go for the whc at wrestlemania, nobody would buy it if the biggest match of the year was a newbie.

I don't think a rookie should win it. But I am going to go with your title and mention a few people that could "debut" and win the Royal Rumble. What if AJ Styles or Ken Anderson do not renew their TNA contracts, and one of the debuts and wins the Rumble.

There is a far more practical event for a rookie to earn an accolade.

They can run a King of the Ring tournament and have a rookie win. It will result in the same "push" but not have the horrible repercussions that would come along with a Rumble win.

The only person I could see this working for is Sting.

Have him come in as one of the final few, maybe eliminate Kane, then the next night say he's already won it all and came to the E for something even bigger, and call the Undertaker out for Mania.

It instantly legitimises Sting (not that he needs it), means he gets a big win rather than just losing a streak match, and he can go in the HOF.

It has to be someone this big. Imagine if they'd given a push like this to the likes of Lashley or Heidenreich - it'd be completely unbelievable and a waste of a huge debut.

Still it could be worse, it could have been Bo Dallas.

its a good idea.. A guy come in ring with top superstars .. He put them over the top rope .. Every body get shocked and peoples are confused .. They have no idea what to react .. They give a mix reaction , they cheer for him and also boo him. But in the end he is a royal rumble winner.. He will headline world heavyweight championship .. He will be a champion in outcome of match.. He will celebrate his victory on next day at Raw but get attacked by former champ .. He was about to get up and stand before crowd but Shandow Cashed in his contract and defeat him to became a new world champion.. He will lose his gold but he will be a top face in process.. If wwe will ever push a rookie in that way, he will be a top star in wwe..

What about Shaun Ricker? He was the last person to be managed by Percy Pringle III (Paul Bearer) in CWFHollywood, was on The Hero with The Rock and got Dwayne's blessing as a future WWE Superstar. He's the only person in developmental who could run with a push as big as a Rumble win, and then challenge at Mania for the WHC.

It would be an incredible debut but it would be a massive risk that the WWE would be reluctant to take. For example, if Sheamus came in towards the end of 2009 and instead of winning the WWE title he won the Royal Rumble. That would be an incredible moment that would still be referenced to every time one speaks about Sheamus.

The obvious downside is they are giving a push to some guy with little exposure. What if doesn't get over or isn't good enough in the ring/on the mic. Then this massive gamble looks foolish and ruined one of the main-events on the biggest night of the year.

I can't think of an obvious example on the current roster but someone like Bo Dallas winning the rumble and facing Del Rio at Wrestlemania. It would be a fantastic debut for Dallas but what if the proceeding months show he isn't good enough. The WWE would be left with a match no-one wants to see.

Moreover, the Royal Rumble is generally a result that a lot of people who used to watch wrestling look at. Or indeed those who watch now and again. It is a marker to see if it worth watching an episode of Raw or watching WM. To be honest, if they saw The Rock or Brock Lesnar win the Rumble then they are immediately interested. If it is Bo Dallas or Sami Zayn less so. That is why the only names I can think of winning the Rumble this year are Lesnar, Punk and Bryan. While Bryan and Punk aren't massive names they are well known to wrestling fans in general and two of three top guys in the company. Obviously Lesnar winning brings interest from all around.

I think the best ideas have already been said here. STING obviously would be a great choice, but it would be cool IF he used his Rumble win to forgo a shot at the WWE title or WHC and used it to take on the Undertaker's streak. An AJ Styles debut winning the the Rumble would be interesting because he could come in and cut some solid promos. A Jeff Hardy return winning the Rumble would be believable. Mr. Kennedy not so much unless they really let Ken go on about how he was fired and has returned to steal the WWE title and whistle Dixie on his way out of WrestleMania. John Morrison is another option that would be believable. My money on the 2014 Royal Rumble winner is on Punk, Ziggler, or Rhodes.

It would be an interesting twist to the 2014 Royal Rumble to somehow change the stipulation to winner faces the Undertaker at Wrestlemania for the Streak, especially if it is Taker's last Mania.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back