Dave Meltzer and other wrestling reporters

Psykohurricane55

Staff member
I've been wanting to write something about meltzer for a while now but never when around to it. Now with the whole mauro ranallo situation, I thought it might be the right time to write something about it.

I never really got why we as fans put guys like meltzer on a pedestals and think that is opinion is always right but the fact is that guys like meltzer are the really bullies in the business. They will do everything to get a story out even ruin somebodies reputation. They rather report second hand news then get the real news just because it sell their newsletters.

I think the they really should verify their fact before writing stuff and us as fans should stop taking everything they write as the gospel because let's face it, while meltzer does have connections in the business, they never worked in the business and doesn't have a connections with the big guys that actually knows what going on in the business. Most of what is reported is second hand reporting and it sad to see how fans based their opinions on what is reported.

The thing is that it's their job to do. Not that I'm defending Meltzer. But he earns on writing such stuff whether it's right or not.

No one should think that he is all about reality. No one should think that he is nowhere near reality. Also, some people are opportunistic. Sometimes, they'll accept what Meltzer says because it favors them. Sometimes, they'll reject what Meltzer says because it opposes them.

Like, Meltzer reporting that Reigns is the no. 1 merchandise seller. Reigns' fans believe it as soon as possible although rarely agree with Meltzer. If it would've been someone else, the same people would've stated that don't take what Meltzer says as truth. All about opportunities. Edge would be proud of such people. ;)

I've been wanting to write something about meltzer for a while now but never when around to it. Now with the whole mauro ranallo situation, I thought it might be the right time to write something about it.

I never really got why we as fans put guys like meltzer on a pedestals and think that is opinion is always right but the fact is that guys like meltzer are the really bullies in the business. They will do everything to get a story out even ruin somebodies reputation. They rather report second hand news then get the real news just because it sell their newsletters.

I think the they really should verify their fact before writing stuff and us as fans should stop taking everything they write as the gospel because let's face it, while meltzer does have connections in the business, they never worked in the business and doesn't have a connections with the big guys that actually knows what going on in the business. Most of what is reported is second hand reporting and it sad to see how fans based their opinions on what is reported.

Meltzer does what every other journalist does, he reports the news as he sees it or hears it. The only difference is he reports it from the world of professional wrestling.

I for one have never put Meltzer on a pedestal. Some of what he has written in the past is based on rumours and innuendos, whether it turns out to be true or not he is working with what he has been given. I'm sure there are situations where he is way off base and some where he is right on. The WWE has some leaks in it's structure otherwise he'd have nothing to say.

If you are going to pan him for saying one thing though, example the Ranallo situation, then you have to pan him for whatever he says. Can't pick and choose what news you like or don't like. Would never pay a cent to his website or his newsletter because other sites pick it up and they report it for free. He might get the news first, but as soon as he knows about it the jungle drums start up and everyone else does as well.

Speaking of writing, you may want to focus your disappointment on the various language arts teachers you've had over the years. They are the ones who deserve zero praise.

As for Meltzer, I think his track record gets him a lot of credibility with many fans. He has been involved with the business for several decades and any insight into behind-the-scenes life seems welcomed by most wrestling fans.

Speaking of writing, you may want to focus your disappointment on the various language arts teachers you've had over the years. They are the ones who deserve zero praise.

I don't think English is his first language. He's from Montreal so most likely French is. I have friends who live in Quebec and I've noticed they type similar to the way he does. They are Francophone's as well.

I get my wrestling news occasionally from the main site and then mostly otherwise from what people post here. Although he can be wrong with his facts and predictions and I don't always agree with his opinions, I don't think you can dismiss Meltzer. For example, most of us read what he had as the Mania card and struggled to believe it was possible. I think he ended up being 100% right. Even with Shane/AN. That mixed tag match seemed completely out of left field and turned out to be true.

So he does have credibility. Also, don't assume that just because we discuss some of his predictions or comments, we 100% believe them. Sometimes we discuss how we feel about those predictions whether we think they are true or false.

But he is a dirt sheet reporter so he probably had has committed many heinous crimes.

Here's the thing about Meltzer, and it holds up with any journalist: he can only report what he's told by sources he trusts. The problem is people forget that there are a few extra details that go with any kind of reporting.

First up: facts can change. Let's say Meltzer reports a match/feud/turn/whatever is going to happen. Meltzer posts it on his site and people read/spread it. Then a day later, Vince changes his mind and goes with something else. The match/feud/turn/whatever is never mentioned on TV and WWE goes in a different direction.

Now was Meltzer wrong? No. When he posted it, that was true. It was true at the time and then the story changed. If I tell my wife I'm going to Wal-Mart, start driving and then change my mind and go to Target instead, I didn't lie to her. What I said at the time was true and that's what I told her.

The thing is though, in the Meltzer case, he's instantly branded as wrong, over the hill, incorrect, stupid or bad at his job, even though what he said wasn't wrong.

Second, he might be lied to/given false information. Meltzer has a bunch of inside sources for WWE and any other company (Vince himself has been said to have been seen reading the Observer back in the day). That's the case for several dirt sheet writers/people who write about wrestling online. I work with a reporter who rates matches as well and used to email back and forth with Edge and Chris Jericho over them complaining about his ratings for their matches.

Now let's say a source is told something by his bosses and leaks it to Meltzer, who then reports it. If the source was lied to or made it up, Meltzer is the one who takes the fall because he's the only name attached. Again: when you report what you think is fact, you're not lying, but rather being given bad information.

At the end of the day, wrestling is built on lies. The whole industry was built on one big lie (This is real.). Now we're supposed to believe that sources from within this industry are always going to tell a reporter the truth? Of course Meltzer is going to be wrong from time to time, but when you look at how many times he's been right, it would be foolish not to listen to him. Just make sure you carry a few barrels of salt for some of them.

Meltzer is trusted because he has been doing this since the early 70's. That is right. He used to write articles on the old LA and San Fran Territories before he had his Bar Mitzvah. That's right, he was doing it when he was a KID. SO, of course he is going to get some capital from promoters and those in the game. They've known him since before he could drink and shave. You spend 5 DECADES doing what is seemingly right in pushing kayfabe storylines and real incidents, you are going to be put up onto a pedestal.

What many also forget is that Meltzer is a product of the age he came from. You had a truckload of mags in the 70's: PWI, The Wrestler, Major League Wrestling, Sports Review Wrestling. Even The Ring Wrestling and The Wrestling News treated the pro wrestling business with great admiration. Meltzer was able to get in with several people in the business, and kept those relationships until the very day. Is he perfect? No. But, neither is pro wrestling. But, he keeps his fans, and keeps his detractors, on their heels with his stories and analysis. Dave Meltzer has earned his place next to Stanley Weston and Bill Apter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back