Daniel Cormier

INDYjon22

Nome is where your heart is
Last night Daniel Cormier had his coming out party when he beat the living hell out of Josh Barnett for five rounds. Granted, Barnett got his fair share of licks in, but it was quiet evident after the first period that Daniel Cormier was hungrier for the win and he put on a striking clinic. He was constantly switching up what he was doing, throwing typical punches but then following with head kicks that CroCop would be proud of. It was a truly special moment in MMA seeing this guy reach the top of the sport finally and in such impressive fashion. My question is this, what is next for DC?

The Strikeforce Heavyweight division is relatively non-existent now a days after all the top guys either got fired or jumped to the UFC. Will DC stay in Strikeforce and try to hone his skill a little more? Or, should he take the dive and make the jump like his predecessors and go to the UFC?

A fight with JDS/Mir would be very interesting, but I don't think he is ready for a guy like JDS yet. He could probably beat Mir, a better submission fighter then Barnett, but worse striker, but I don't know how he would do against elite strikers like Cain and JDS. You know they would stand and bang, but the difference is that they actually know what they are doing because it is their bread and butter. DC is kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place now. He could bolster his record with cans in Strikeforce or get thrown to the sharks in the UFC.

What says you? What should DC do? And , how well do you think he will do as a top Heavyweight fighter?

Cormier would never fight Cain, training partners and all that jazz, but I do think Cormier would beat Cain and a majority of the UFC heavyweights. He showed last night that unlike Dan Henderson, his wrestling actually transferred over to MMA. He hung on the ground with a dangerous heavyweight grappler and has bombs for hands. He does have a tendency to break them though, as showcased in both the Barnett and Bigfoot fight, but I think he will be a fixture at the top of the heavyweight division for a long time.

Right now, I think he beats Mir, Carwin, Werdum, and Cain, and I think JDS and Overeem are nightmare matchups for Cormier. Cormier will have immense trouble with technical strikers, he throws hard, sloppy, loopy punches and kicks which a guy like Overeem would counter and eat him alive, and I don't think he can hold a powerful guy like Overeem down. JDS has shown he has lightning fast hips and great movement on top of his crisp boxing. Cormier could always catch either guy especially Overeem who would be worrying about the takedown making his striking less effective, but I think he would be the underdog against the two aforementioned fighters.

Cormier is a top five heavyweight and is only improving, if he can stop smashing his hands on guys heads, he could be a beast. He's as athletic as they come, has a great camp, top notch wrestling and huge power. Hopefully he goes to the UFC and we can see him against more top level competition.

Cormier is a top five heavyweight and is only improving, if he can stop smashing his hands on guys heads, he could be a beast. He's as athletic as they come, has a great camp, top notch wrestling and huge power. Hopefully he goes to the UFC and we can see him against more top level competition.

The bold part of your sentence is your problem. He's not going to stop breaking his hand. As we have seen with people like Fedor and Bowles, Cormier is going to have a long history of breaking his hand. I think he should move down to Light Heavyweight and I'll tell you why.

1. He's not likely to break his hand as much: This might not seem like that big of a deal, but when you consider that most heavyweight fights are close to 50/50 because of sheer size, it's a huge deal. I'm not saying that all heavyweights are equal, please don't think that. What I am saying is, when you look at a fight like Barry-Johnson, both of those guys can end the night with one punch. Most of the HW division is like that. If Cormier breaks his band, that takes away a considerable weapon at a weight class where any weakness will likely mean a quick knockout.

2. His relationship with Velasquez and AKA: Once again, this is a problem that will be more pronounced at heavyweight than at light heavyweight. Velasquez and Cormier at both top 5 heavyweights. There is a drastic difference between the talent gap at HW and that at LHW. Dana, Joe, and Sean can only avoid Velasquez and Cormier being the only fight that makes sense for so long. Additionally, the UFC HW title has never been defended more than twice in its entire history. The chances that Velasquez or Cormier could find themselves as a champion with the other individual as the only sensible contender are absolutely magnified at HW. He also has the strength and skillset to beat Jones. I'm not saying he's as complete of a fighter as Jones, but Jones' inexperience could be easily exploited by someone like Cormier. DC will be almost impossible for Jones to muscle around and rag doll. This will cause a lot of problems for Jones if he can't use that to his advantage. I am not even sure that he could overwhelm Cormier in the clinch.

3. He can prolong his career: At 33 years of age, time is not on Cormier's side. The heavyweight division can only shorten this lifespan. Knockouts from some heavyweights can break a fighter's jaw (speaking in terms of future knockouts). Cormier can only handle so many of these and so many fights at that weight before his body stops being able to take those lumps. Trust me, bigger guys do not get more solid with age. As a matter of fact, we deteriorate quicker. A move to LHW would keep Cormier in the fight game longer and it can still add to his legacy.

Those are my biggest reasons as to why Cormier should move to LHW. He and Velasquez cannot exist within the same division. They are too talented to avoid meeting in a fight. One of them needs to move divisions.

I think he should move down to Light Heavyweight and I'll tell you why.

Moving down to light heavyweight is a terrible idea.

The man suffered kidney failure and was unable to compete in the Goddamn Olympics because of a failed weight cut to 211 lbs. He cannot cut down to 205, period.

1. He's not likely to break his hand as much: If Cormier breaks his band, that takes away a considerable weapon at a weight class where any weakness will likely mean a quick knockout.

Except Cormier showed against Barnett that he can still take down his much bigger opponents with ease, even with a broken hand. If Cormier is prone to getting his hand broken, he still has avenues to win.

2. His relationship with Velasquez and AKA:
Once again, this is a problem that will be more pronounced at heavyweight than at light heavyweight. Velasquez and Cormier at both top 5 heavyweights. There is a drastic difference between the talent gap at HW and that at LHW. Dana, Joe, and Sean can only avoid Velasquez and Cormier being the only fight that makes sense for so long. Additionally, the UFC HW title has never been defended more than twice in its entire history. The chances that Velasquez or Cormier could find themselves as a champion with the other individual as the only sensible contender are absolutely magnified at HW.

Well then it's simple, you make them fight, or you basically do what Dana did with Fitch and Koscheck. While Koscheck found his way to a title shot, Fitch would fight guys in high-risk/low-reward type of situations. It's not an ideal situation, but as I stated, Cormier cannot make the weight cut to 205. Can't make them fight? You can still work around it.

He also has the strength and skillset to beat Jones.

Alright now we're being silly.

I'm not saying he's as complete of a fighter as Jones, but Jones' inexperience could be easily exploited by someone like Cormier.

You mean, the more experienced fighter in Jones could have his inexperience exploited by a less experienced fighter in Cormier? I'm confused. Furthermore, I'm having a hard time seeing a less experienced fighter in Cormier finding a way to exploit Jones' "inexperience" when much more experienced fighters like Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, and Machida were unable to do so.

DC will be almost impossible for Jones to muscle around and rag doll. This will cause a lot of problems for Jones if he can't use that to his advantage. I am not even sure that he could overwhelm Cormier in the clinch.

Not at 205 lbs and not where, if this hypothetical situation took place, he'd be unlikely to be able to fight in the first place.

3. He can prolong his career: At 33 years of age, time is not on Cormier's side.

Exactly, which is why a drastic weight cut late in his career where he could become very sick again is a terrible idea.

The heavyweight division can only shorten this lifespan. Knockouts from some heavyweights can break a fighter's jaw (speaking in terms of future knockouts). Cormier can only handle so many of these and so many fights at that weight before his body stops being able to take those lumps.

I'm confused. Cormier has never been KO'ed or even rocked seriously in the fights we've seen him in. Why are we acting like he's accumulated major damage on his chin like Big Country has?
Trust me, bigger guys do not get more solid with age. As a matter of fact, we deteriorate quicker. A move to LHW would keep Cormier in the fight game longer and it can still add to his legacy.

All the evidence shows that a move to LHW could end his career.

Moving down to light heavyweight is a terrible idea.

The man suffered kidney failure and was unable to compete in the Goddamn Olympics because of a failed weight cut to 211 lbs. He cannot cut down to 205, period.

Would you care to specify why he suffered kidney failure or are you assuming that your point stands on its own?

Per Loretta Hunt: Rather than lose weight gradually, Cormier often sweated out 20-30 pounds of water weight before competition to the point of dehydration.

"I'd hurry to my room and drink something like soup to get my stomach expanding," he said. "Then I'd get sick and vomit and poop -- I was just getting sick from all the liquids I was pouring into me. But if I weighed in at four, around six or seven o'clock I'd start to feel better."

Cormier's purging routine caught up to him at the worst possible time, as he stepped off the Olympic scale in front of officials.

"When I went to rehydrate myself, my body started doing weird things," recalled Cormier. "I was throwing up everywhere. I started cramping really bad. Then, I couldn't walk."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...05/18/daniel.cormier/index.html#ixzz1vc2vi5m2

Except Cormier showed against Barnett that he can still take down his much bigger opponents with ease, even with a broken hand. If Cormier is prone to getting his hand broken, he still has avenues to win.

Those avenues are significantly decreased when he opponents have great take-down defense or a great wrestling background. Simply put, you cannot keep breaking your hand in round 1 or 2 and expect to win many fights.

Well then it's simple, you make them fight, or you basically do what Dana did with Fitch and Koscheck. While Koscheck found his way to a title shot, Fitch would fight guys in high-risk/low-reward type of situations. It's not an ideal situation, but as I stated, Cormier cannot make the weight cut to 205. Can't make them fight? You can still work around it.

I guess I missed the part where Koscheck and Fitch fought one another. I also missed who "made" them.

Also, in an interview, Cormier said this:

"It's scary because I saw something on this football player in Tulsa who was boxing and he got severely dehydrated, started cramping, started getting the same [symptoms] that I had, and died," said Cormier. "Listen, I'm a clear thinker and I know that I carry some extra fat and I could probably get to 205 if I needed to. But it would have to be a total lifestyle change. I just can't do it the wrong way anymore."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...05/18/daniel.cormier/index.html#ixzz1vc4kRw7T

Alright now we're being silly.

You mean, the more experienced fighter in Jones could have his inexperience exploited by a less experienced fighter in Cormier? I'm confused. Furthermore, I'm having a hard time seeing a less experienced fighter in Cormier finding a way to exploit Jones' "inexperience" when much more experienced fighters like Rampage, Rashad, Shogun, and Machida were unable to do so.

Not at 205 lbs and not where, if this hypothetical situation took place, he'd be unlikely to be able to fight in the first place.

Jones may have more fights, but Cormier has explosive wrestling credentials and all the experience at world championships. The working theory among journalists is that Cormier actually has a real skill-set that could pose a problem to Jones. You can scoff at this all you want, but the facts are facts.

Rampage doesn't have Cormier's abilities and has already checked out of the UFC a long time ago. Rashad is the best name you listed of the four. Shogun is 4-4 in the UFC, including 2-3 in his last 5 since coming over from PRIDE. Machida is 1-3 in his last 4 fights.

I love Rampage. I had a long interview with him last week (we talked for over an hour) and he claims to still have the heart to fight, but he's also had a spotty run lately. Rashad is the only one on that list who has managed any sort of recent consistency. He's also the only one on that list who took Jones to a decision.

Exactly, which is why a drastic weight cut late in his career where he could become very sick again is a terrible idea.

Since you either didn't know or intentionally avoided putting down that his kidney failure stemmed from HOW he cut weight, not THAT he cut weight, I'd say your basic premise here does not hold up.

Cormier has said multiple times that he could do and I think he knows his body a little bit better than you do.

I'm confused. Cormier has never been KO'ed or even rocked seriously in the fights we've seen him in. Why are we acting like he's accumulated major damage on his chin like Big Country has?

All the evidence shows that a move to LHW could end his career.

I didn't say he had been KO'ed or rocked. I simply said that taking on that many fights at that size is going to accumulate. Especially if you're fighting multiple rounds without a hand because you broke it and can't use it for anything other than defended.

You can feel free to troll me all you want. I know you've gotten pretty good at it for some reason, but if you're going to do it, at least make sure that you aren't making inaccurate claims with no basis in reality.

Cormier has said on multiple occasions that he would and COULD make the switch the LHW. Just because you theorize that he "can't" doesn't change the reality that he has gone on record multiple times saying he can and the reason his kidneys failed was because of a completely improper and medically unsound method of cutting weight.

Given that your entire argument was predicated on an untrue statement, I'd say that NONE of the evidence indicates he would have a shorter career at LHW.

Also, here are some follow-up thoughts about "making" Cain and Cormier fight one another.

Cormier and Velasquez strike me as the kind of guys who can't be told they WILL fight their friend. Also, Dana didn't want to do that with Fitch and Koscheck. It hurt the division and it hurt the credibility of being the #1 contender. Dana has managed to avoid things like this at the lower weight class, but it's not as easily avoidable at HW. Seriously, go look at the HW division in the UFC, pretend to be Joe Silva, find all the possible fights for Velasquez and Cormier (while they're in the same division), and show me the math. In every single scenario you will find that Velasquez and Cormier need to fight due to the limited number of viable contenders at HW. Not to mention the fact that the HW division is the most injured division in the entire sport and you will find yourself in a circumstance where Cain vs. DC is the only sensible fight and Dana has a HORRIBLE track record of getting teammates to fight.

Dana has been battling this since the advent of major camps. These guys don't want to fight each other and there's nothing they can do to make them short of adding it to the initial contract a fighter signs. I've advocated such a thing for quite some time, but that's a much different story. The point is, Dana has fought this battle many times in the past and he's still losing that fight to this day.

He occasionally finds himself in a Rashad-Bones type of situation, but more often than not he has to make a less-than-appealing contenders match because two top fighters refuse to meet for this reason.

Cormier is a very loyal guy who believes in values and principles. Velasquez espouses the same ideas. They're not going to fight one another and I don't see that changing any time in the future. Simply put, that fight will never happen.

Well he'll probably do the final fight promised to him after the tourney however I really dont see the point of that considering him and JB are the only HWs left in Strikeforce, they should just end the division there on a high point and then have the two of them go to the UFC, but oh well. Cromier is legit, I knew he was a good fighter and a fantastic wrestler early on didnt really believe in him as a future top ten until he beat Bigfoot and then he furthered that belief when he beat one of my boys in Barnett. He should enter the UFC now and fight a guy around Roy Nelson's level, then after that give him one of the top dogs, I could even see him against Werdum as an opener and that'd be a great fight. I think he'll be very successful but he's still growing as a mixed martial artist, as long as he isnt thrown to the wolves the instant he enters the UFC I see a good career in the division for him and a constant top ten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back