Cuban on Raw - bad for ROH?

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
Mark Cuban hosting Raw is a direct conflict of interest with his network's promotion of ROH.

I don't think it was smart business for the owner of HDNET, ROH's only mass distribution venue to show his face on WWE, while never gracing ROH with his face. If he values his network, why would he not promote the shows that are on it?

True, most of the WWE fans have no idea, but I am sure that every ROH fan does.

Is Cuban burying his own show?

I don't think it hurts. At the beginning of the show it was mentioned Cuban owns HDNet. So that's free advertising for a little known channel that most people probably don't realize they have. When they hear about it they may go check out the lineup for HDNet and see ROH Wrestling in the listing. A wrestling fan will be intrigued and check it out. I don't think it will hurt, but in the end it may help ROH out.

ROH already has it's core fan base in place. HDNet getting mentioned as a channel will bring viewers there and find ROH. So it can only help and I'm sure WWE put a clamp down on actually promoting a separate wrestling company. ROH and WWE are not really in competition, but you know how paranoid Vince is when it comes to other wrestling promotions. But promoting the channel ROH will help. How much remains to be seen. It's a premium channel so it's not like basic cable/satellite subscribers will be able to check it out just by flipping a channel.

I agree with Ty that it isn't a bad thing. It isn't like he mentioned ROH in a negative light or anything. If nothing else, I think it kind of legitimizes the network as a wrestling channel. Fans of ROH on HDNet can see that one of the higher ups is a legit wrestling fan, and therefore cares about the product. As someone who enjoys that show, it makes me feel good that someone up there shares my enjoyment for the sport and it makes me feel confident for the show's security.

It's bad for ROH. He didn't get to promote his station or the fact that he himself has a wrestling show on his network. Usually RAW hosts are allowed to promote and he wasn't. It was only briefly mentioned by the timekeeper and ring announcer. The HDnet thing didn't register. He was billed as a billionaire and as the owner of the Dallas Mavericks. That is all!

Secondly, he seemed to be having a great time on RAW which isn't good for ROH's current product. That's just a sign that Cuban is a big fan of the sports entertainment action of prowrestling which is the exact opposite of ROH. With Cuban being chairman of HDNet and rumored to be new owner of ROH, he can have lots of influence on the ROH product to become more entertainment oriented and appealing to a broader audience.

I don't think it hurts. At the beginning of the show it was mentioned Cuban owns HDNet. So that's free advertising for a little known channel that most people probably don't realize they have. When they hear about it they may go check out the lineup for HDNet and see ROH Wrestling in the listing. A wrestling fan will be intrigued and check it out. I don't think it will hurt, but in the end it may help ROH out.

ROH already has it's core fan base in place. HDNet getting mentioned as a channel will bring viewers there and find ROH. So it can only help and I'm sure WWE put a clamp down on actually promoting a separate wrestling company. ROH and WWE are not really in competition, but you know how paranoid Vince is when it comes to other wrestling promotions. But promoting the channel ROH will help. How much remains to be seen. It's a premium channel so it's not like basic cable/satellite subscribers will be able to check it out just by flipping a channel.

Exactly my thoughts. In fact, while I was watching RAW, I clearly remember thinking that having HDNet mentioned could be a good thing for ROH. I had never heard of the channel and didn't even have access to it before ROH got that tv deal. I don't see how it could possible hurt ROH having HDNet mentioned on the biggest wrestling show on TV.

With that being said, I don't anticipate any huge jump in viewers for ROH since there was no mention that there was any kind of wrestling on HDNet. They simply mentioned that Cuban owned the channel.

I agree with a lot of you say about HDnet. Since he was on the show i suspected he would mention his various companies and business of course the dallas mavericks, his charity and HDNET. The only mention of HDnet i saw all night, was a sign a fan had but im sure the cameras didnt show it. But regardless it wasnt necessary a bad or good thing, sure he didnt get to promote ROH but he didnt badmouth them or anything, it seemed he enjoyed being in the wrestling atmosphere which should be seen as a good thing. With that being said maybe wwe told him not to mention HDnet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back