• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cruiserweight Title?

The Wolf

Pre-Show Stalwart
What ever happened to the Cruiserweight Title? Now with Rey, Chavo, Evan and others can they bring back the title?

I think it could work if done right but one thing would be have it cross brand. Back in WCW they were great to watch and now that u got new guys I think it can shake things up.
What do u think?

I don't imagine any would disagree with you. If I recall correctly, Hornswaggle won the Cruiserweight title, and Vince "retired" it so Hornswaggle wouldn't get hurt. Basically, it was Vinces way of pissing on the wrestlers that aren't at least 6 ft with huge muscles. I doubt it'll come back anytime soon.

Edit: Just checked, Hornswaggle did win it last, and Vickie Guerrero stripped the title off him, and it was basically never seen again. 6 months later, they took it off the active championship web page.

No. There is no time for it, and Vince doesn't care for it. People bitch about the mid-card belts not meaning anything anymore because there isn't as great a focus on them. Basically the same for the tag team belts. If the cruiserweight or any other lower tier belt came back, the same thing would happen, and people would bitch even more. Down the line, maybe. I honestly wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy what there is, and if it comes back, jizz your pants.

I can't see a reason for them not to get it back. It can give them more storylines. It will give something for guys like Chavo, Evan Bourne, JTG (for starters), ............... oh wait i can't think of any more guys!!!!!

Thats why they do't have this division anymore... :suspic:

ope, that division is long gone. if it was to come back, why just smackdown, why not both brands...but thats a different topic, anyway, not coming back at all, another product of wcw gone down the gutter..

As far as i know the reason the title was dropped was because the bookers didn't want to book "Below average stars" in matches for a title that was dead when the Smackdown divas were thought to be much more worth while of a title. There was also a huge lack of interest in the cruiserweights backstage in WWE(Particularly by Vince McMahon). WWE also wanted to tone down the high flying action which really left nothing very entertaining in the cruiserweights.Some of the greatest professional wrestlers of all time have been fluent in the cruiserweight style such as Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit. From personal opinion, I can honestly say that the majority of Cruiserweight matches are much more fast-paced and excitement than the majority of main event matches that the WWE put on, yet the title was never given enough credit, nor was it given enough television time to give it chance to shine.

I think it's needed. But somehow I get the feeling they made the US Title the new Cruiserweight championship. If that's the case than yeah the belt isn't needed.

I don't think they need the cruser weight title anymore. Yes they have some Cruserweights like Bourne, Gurrero and Meysterio. But Meysterio is a main eventer on the show and it wouldn't make much sense to make to make him to contend for the title. Also they don't even have enough to make a divsion. I think its just best if they leave how it is and if they ever have a 3rd show again thats not Superstars or Nxt then they should add a cruserweight to that brand but until then I don't think its nessary.

I love this division & would be estatic if it ever came back. Just like alot of things in recent years- Hornswoggle ruined the title!

I never 'buy it' when I see Mysterio beat guys like Big Show & Kane. I get sick everytime I watch it. Make Rey the new CW champ & let him bring some prestige back to the CW title. Then let the younger guys take over.

For those of you suggesting WWE doesnt have enuff "lightweights" to make a division: I say Rubbish!! Keep in mind- even if WWE puts a weight restriction on the division...they can just go ahead & say a guy weighs less then he really does. Heres a few names off the top of my head:

-Yoshi Tatsu
-Zack Ryder
-Santino
-Carlito & Primo
-Bourne
-Kidd
-Daniel Bryan
-Chavo
-Ziggler
-JTG
-Justin Gabriel

Theres 12 guys right there

I personally would love to see the return of the cruserweight title. Cruserweight wrestling is extremely different and far more artful than heavyweight style wrestling and should have a fair amount of time. Furthermore, there are many smaller wrestlers who are reduced to constant jobbing because they must adapt their style in order to "slow dance" with the heavyweights. Evan Bourne is a great example here. This guy would have been a several time champion if the cruserweight title still existed.

That being said, it ain't gonna happen. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Vince wants his wrestlers big if they're gonna win (preferably heel as well.) The cruserweight title, when it existed, was a hold-over from the days of previous promotions and gotten rid of as soon as Vince figured he could get away with it. Did anybody else notice that, near the end of the cruserweight title, the contests over it were huge all-cruserweight-jumble matches for the most part? They pretty much abandoned the acrobatic and artistic marvels of the earlier cruserweight matches just to get it all over with. Why? 'Cause ol' Vinnie didn't want to waste time on little guys he didn't care about. Plain and simple. With that view on the way Vince McMahon sees wrestling, I'd have to say that a return of the cruserweight title has "no chance in hell".

Lastly, I have to disagree with you, MoneyMack. Hornswoggle did not ruin the title. Hornswoggle was the excuse Vince used to retire a title he didn't want in the first place as well as being a convenient scapegoat for its...disappearance. If there's one thing that Vince is good at, it's diverting blame to others.

They need to bring it back so the smaller guys can have a chance to shine. They will have fair matches between cruiserweights instead of bourne going up against sheamus. They will need to merge the Divas title and the womens title and make it and the cruiserweight titlt cross brand.

There really isn't time for it. If (the utterly pointless) Diva's Championship is de-activated then maybe, just maybe it will/should return and be a cross-brand title.

Previously, I would have said "yes, definitely, Evan Bourne and Yoshi Tatsu need something to do". But now Vince appears to be looking at making smaller guys main eventers (source: http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/art...010-presale-password-evan-bournes-push-104195). Therefore, it's not needed. I don't know about you, but i'd rather see Tatsu (who is tragically underutilized) win the US Championship than a Cruiserweight Championship. It's more of an achievement.

I can't see a reason for them not to get it back. It can give them more storylines. It will give something for guys like Chavo, Evan Bourne, JTG (for starters), ............... oh wait i can't think of any more guys!!!!!

Thats why they do't have this division anymore... :suspic:

here are a few

Rey Mysterio, Gregory Helms/ The Hurricane, Tyson Kidd, Jimmy Uso, Primo, Yoshi Tatsu, Kofi, Cayln Croft and I believe Christian is a cruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back