• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Couture vs Machida

MMAfighting.com article said:
NEW YORK -- Randy Couture will indeed fight at least one more time in the octagon, as his rumored UFC 129 fight against Lyoto Machida is a go, according to UFC president Dana White, who told MMA Fighting the matchup is a "done deal."

MMA Fighting originally reported the possibility of the fight in the hours after UFC 125, though at the time, sources said the fight was not "not even close" to being finalized.

Now, White says it's a go for the growing mega-card in Toronto.

Couture last fought at UFC 118 in Boston, beating James Toney, but afterward, the 47-year-old seemed to indicate that he would look to bolster his acting resume as he looked towards the future and past MMA.

UFC 129 will be the promotion's maiden voyage to the recently sanctioned province of Ontario, and will take place at the massive Rogers Centre.

The event will host a welterweight championship fight between Georges St. Pierre and challenger Jake Shields, and might also have a featherweight title defense from champion Jose Aldo, if Mark Hominick could get past George Roop at the upcoming Jan. 22 UFC Fight for the Troops event

They just finalized this fight for UFC 129 and I don't know what to think. Will Machida just destroy Randy or will Couture defy his age yet again and pick up a win? Is Randy even ready for this fight, will fighting at Light Heavyweight re-energize him?

In my opinion, Randy will put up a fight. Couture never ceases to amaze me, and I can certainly see him doing one hell of a job here. Couture can't strike with Machida, but if he can get past Machida's takedown defense and actually get some ground and pound going, he stands a chance. Then again, after the Rua knockout I'm not so sure about Machida's chin, so if Randy can connect with a few solid punches he can certainly win.

Thoughts?

If the fight goes to the ground or if Couture can clinch with Machida I think he stands a chance in this fight. Couture is a master at getting people to fight to his advantage but Machida is a complex guy to fight. If the fight stays standing then there is little doubt in my mind that Machida will knock Couture out much like Liddell did. But yes, I do believe Randy stands a chance in this fight. As long as he can get Machida to fight to his advantage Randy has a shot. He is a very tricky guy and I will never count him out, but I think Machida will win this fight. Hopefully it turns out to be a classic as it very well could.

It is very rare in big fights where I claim to be 100% certain on what the outcome is going to be, especially when I have no bias one way or the other. This, is one of those rare cases.

Lyoto Machida will knock Randy Couture out. I GUARANTEE it. If Couture couldn't handle Vera's striking, and struggled at pinning that guy against the cage, there's just absolutely zero chance he will have any success with those things against someone so much superior than Vera in every aspect of the sport. Couture will not be able to keep up with Machida's pace and speed, and if Couture's some how able to get his hands on him, Machida is still big and strong enough to keep Randy from taking him down or pinning him against the cage for a long period of time.

All that, combined with Randy's weak chin, Machida will knock Couture's ass out. Just wait and see...

If Rampage could clinch and dirty box Machida, then Randy who is the master of that style for sure can, frankly I am leaning heavily in randy's favor for this fight, Machida is not the fighter he once was, not after Shogun broke him mentally, and Randy will either Clinch and DB him or take him down and GnP him.

When was the last time Randy Couture was up against elite competition like Machida. Couture last three fights were not all that amazing he was up against Toney, Vera and an out of date Mark Coleman. Honesty none of them bring what Machida brings to the table. I am not doubting the ability of Randy Couture, but i just doubt that he is ready to take on such a huge challenge. I honestly think Dana White is feeding Couture to Machida so he can gain back some credibility and really look dangerous again.

It is very rare in big fights where I claim to be 100% certain on what the outcome is going to be, especially when I have no bias one way or the other. This, is one of those rare cases.

Lyoto Machida will knock Randy Couture out. I GUARANTEE it. If Couture couldn't handle Vera's striking, and struggled at pinning that guy against the cage, there's just absolutely zero chance he will have any success with those things against someone so much superior than Vera in every aspect of the sport. Couture will not be able to keep up with Machida's pace and speed, and if Couture's some how able to get his hands on him, Machida is still big and strong enough to keep Randy from taking him down or pinning him against the cage for a long period of time.

All that, combined with Randy's weak chin, Machida will knock Couture's ass out. Just wait and see...

Aren't you the same guy that said he would bet literally everying he owned on BJ Penn winning the re-match against Edgar? :p

Look I think Machida will win this fight too but I would never guarantee it. In MMA anyone can be KOd or tapped at any time. All it takes is one mistake to lose a fight and a Vet like Randy could capitalize on a mistake by the Dragon. It's not likely but it is very possible.

Aren't you the same guy that said he would bet literally everying he owned on BJ Penn winning the re-match against Edgar? :p

Lol... didn't you see where I said "especially when I have no bias one way or the other"? If I wasn't as big of a fan of BJ's as I am, while I would have most likely picked him both times to beat Edgar, I probably wouldn't have been so sure the 2nd time around if I was indifferent to both fighters as I am Randy and Machida.

Somebody said Rampage was able to pin Machida and use some dirty boxing, yeah, well... Rampage was also able to withstand Machida's flurry, which Randy for sure would not. Moreover, Rampage is much faster than Couture, and I'm sure Machida picked up a lot things from his fight against Rampage as well. He will not let Couture get his hands on him like he did Rampage. I guarantee it. I'll take any kind of fun bet with anyone here on this fight.

Randy has a very small chance in this fight IMO. Randy is old at this point, and simply isn't at that level anymore. I don't see this fight going to decision honestly, because Randy fights usually go to decision when he wins. Randy doesn't lose decisions (small exceptions) - he wins them. TKO second round.

BAD match up for The Natural here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Machida has the best take down defense in the division. Now Randy might have some of the best take downs, especially against the cage but Machida will definitely close off that gap with Couture's bread and butter dirty boxing. Couture has never had good pure striking and doesn't have the best chin either. He's too cerebral to charge in knowing Machida will out strike him. It's going to start slow, transition to the cage and end with Couture eating some knees to the midsection followed by a flurry finish on the ground.

I learned long ago to never count Couture out but this is just a bad match up for him wherever it goes. If he takes it he's really going to have to muscle Machida against the cage, knees to the legs to take Lyoto's spring away and CAREFULLY work the dirt boxing. Don't give Machida range and don't let him work the knees. I doubt he gets The Dragon to the ground more than once. Call it a career for Randy Couture...again.

Somebody said Rampage was able to pin Machida and use some dirty boxing, yeah, well... Rampage was also able to withstand Machida's flurry, which Randy for sure would not. Moreover, Rampage is much faster than Couture, and I'm sure Machida picked up a lot things from his fight against Rampage as well. He will not let Couture get his hands on him like he did Rampage. I guarantee it. I'll take any kind of fun bet with anyone here on this fight.

Rampage almost got ended by several shots, too, though. Shots that, if Machida lands on Couture, will knock Couture the fuck out. That's what's getting lost in all of this. Rampage hit Machida with a pretty solid uppercut and it didn't end Machida's night, so I don't know about that comment where somebody said "I don't know about Machida's chin."

First of all, Machida has never been knocked out by a shot to the chin. Shogun dropped him with a shot to the temple and then a blow to the eye. I'm pretty sure that ANYONE would have been knocked the fuck out by that shot. Let's not make a mountain out of a molehill. Machida stayed in the pocket with Rampage, took his best shots, and many people, including myself AND Rampage, felt he should have won that fight.

If anyone, Randy doesn't have the chin to take the shots that Machida WILL land during their fight. I'm completely with you about this fight, JMT. Randy may be one of the best in the business at dirty boxing, but people seem to forget that Machida did some of his best work in the first Shogun fight out the the clinch. Machida absolute FUCKED Tito's liver up because of his clinch work.

I cannot see Randy being able to control Machida for three rounds without Machida being able to separate and land something on Couture that puts him in an Arlovski like sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back