• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Could the talent exchange benefit the WWE in the long run?

CM Steel

A REAL American
Since before Wrestlemania 28 there were plans made on both the WWE and TNA wrestling to do a talent exchange between both promotions in which TNA signed wrestler & legend Ric Flair to be allowed to be seen on WWE TV to once again be inducted into the WWE hall of fame along with the Four Horsemen. And for WWE signed wrestler Christian to appear at a TNA event in the future, which was at the TNA "Slammaversary" pay per-view a short while ago.

This talent exchange deal could benefit both the WWE and TNA in the future as well as other wrestling promotions (ROH, NWA, Japan) who does business well. Remember back in the old territory days before WWE chairman Vince McMahon Jr. bought up all those territories. Different wrestling promotions like NWA, AWA, WCCW, ECT. Would have their own talent exchange between each other on a "good faith" agreement. Like back when Kerry Von Erich a WCCW contracted wrestler took on Ric Flair a NWA/JCP contracted wrestler for the NWA championship.

And of course the WWE first had a talent exchange agreement with ECW with talent. On ECW programming we saw WWF talent like Lawler, Rude, Roberts. And we saw ECW talent like Taz, the Sandman, and Rob Van Dam appear on WWF programming.

So what if the talent exchange concept was brought back full-time in this era of wrestling? Could it benefit wrestling all-around??

hardly call it a talent exchange, neither were wrestling they were just making 1 off appearances, and most likely it was Flair saying if you don't let me i'm walking anyway.

an exchange wouldn't benefit WWE very much, barring a few the only names in TNA that would be eligible are former WWE talent. and as much as this is a rare case i don't see either party allowing talent to go back and forth at the risk of being made to look like fools. As much as people are gonna deny it and Hogan/Dixie has, they are trying to compete with WWE.

and the talent exchange was only for the purpose of allowing Ric Flair to attend another HOF induction nothing more, and then TNA turned around and may attempt to sue WWE because a disgruntled TNA employee went back to WWE and leaked talent information apparently. Sure that's gonna go down well for any future mutual deals.

It would be benefitial to have a monday night wars again, not a talent exchange. or WWE pump money into TNA ( the latter has almost no chance in hell of happening)

It would benefit other promotions if they did a "talent exchange" but not WWE. Mainstream fans who only watch WWE wouldnt care if someone like say, AJ Styles showed up. They wouldnt know who he is. But, if someone like Randy Orton showed up on TNA, those same fans wouldnt be watching unless WWE promoted that he was going to be there, and they would never promote another show. It would be cool for the IWC and hardcore fans, but for the mainstream fan that only watches WWE, it would do nothing.

There are guys that would be better in TNA and guys that would be better in WWE. First person is Sin Cara, he would be great in the X-Division The Tag Team Division is better in TNA so the few real teams in the WWE would be better off there. I would say some wrestlers that are being buried or not used like Drew McIntyre could do well in TNA for awhile. Then you have some TNA stars that have done it all in TNA and could do well for themselves to see what they can do in the WWE.

The best reason to have a "talent exchange" is to keep from having the same people facing each other all of the time. If done right you would have stars like Cena going to TNA for a while in exchange for one of there stars and you would even have cross branded fueds.

It would help the business of wrestling and even bring back soem fans that left but it won't happen because of ego. Vince's ego wouldn't let him do something groundbreaking like that unless his people looked stronger. Maybe someday when HHH and Steph take over and Vince is long gone we will see such an idea take effect but until then we will have to wait.

Anyone who doesnt think it would benefit both brands is not very smart.

The Flair, Christian exchange was just scratching the surface. Even though this wasnt a big deal, because both wrestlers didnt wrestle. It was a big deal in the fact that WWE and TNA agreed on something and worked together.

Way down the road I could see a scenario like this.

WWE and TNA agree to cross promote on 2 of there PPV's. WWE PPV and TNA PPV.

Vince could "invite" Dixie Carter to Raw. Vince could in his sexest way insult her and TNA.

Dixie could say her 2 best wrestlers could beat Vinces 2 best wrestlers. Something along those lines.

Vince could choose his top 2 wrestlers in Cena and Lesnar. Dixie chooses Abyss and Samoa Joe.

At the next TNA ppv you would have Samoa Joe vs. John Cena in the main event.

The following WWE ppv you would have Abyss vs. Lesnar.

There is a way to book the outcome of each match to benefit WWE and TNA.

The only argument people have as to why this shouldnt happen is because WWE doesnt want to promote TNA and make it bigger.

I think it would be good for business if TNA was bigger.

WCW vs. WWF was amazing TV. It made it much much much more fun.

I remember sitting on the school bus when my friend told me "The Giant" signed with the WWF.

TNA being better is good for the WWE.

I dont think WWE would benefit. I am willing to guess about 80% of TNA audience also follows WWE. Plus on top of that I think that there are only 2 wrestlers that WWE could benefit from having- Angle and Sting- as they are the only 2 current stars in TNA. Anderson and Hardy got cut from the roster and probably would not be welcomed back. Roode is developing but he is the top dog in a very small pond. I highly doubt WWE would allow Cena, Taker, or HHH to appear on Impact- and with those being the big draws, I dont see how TNA would benefit from having WWE midcard coming over. Now if Vince showed up on Impact...I think that alot of people would turn in to see that. But TNA doesnt offer anyone that would draw like Vince.

No I dont think this would work at this time.

What is this talent exchange is it never happened, talent weren't exchanged at all. Flair was allowed to appear at the Hall of Fame, as a tribute to the Hall of Fame, his talent was not exchange. Christian was allowed to appear to mark the 10th birthday of TNA, again not using his talent but merely to say a couple of things. It won't happen again for a long time as there isn't any need to.

Does the clue that Christian came out as Christian Cage that gives the hint here, Abyss will never appear on WWE programming much like Kane will never appear on TNA programming, because of the respected trademarks.

Some people are reading too much on the matter, simple as.

Also does it benefit if WWE does have it? simple answer, no. TNA is not ECW, ECW was something else, it offered WWF to test the extreme side of wrestling and at the same time help out ECW. What does TNA offer? Nothing new and nothing that WWE can learn from in all truth.

I think it could benefit WWE some but in the grand scheme of things it would take alot of work on WWE part to make it happen. 1st WWE would have to help build TNA talent up to a level where it would even be believable that they could compete with a WWE wrestler. 2nd I think Since would have to choose wisely who to send over and who to bring in because while Punk vs AJ or Rhoode vs Orton would be huge for all I don't think WWE benefits much by one of them losing to someone who would be an almost unknown to causal fans or hardcore WWE fans. At the end of the day I think u get a few big matches that don't end cleanly as to not ruin the buzz of the talent and we get matches like Bryan vs Daniels or Abyss vs Kane or Kofi, Rey, Sin Cara, and Evan Bourne vs Aries, Zema Ion, Kaz, and Robbie E in a ultimate X or money in the back match. Maybe we get Cena vs Angle because of the history or the huge maybe of Taker vs Sting but those 2 are highly doubtful. I think we get 1 or 2 huge matches mixed in with a few smaller but good matches. I also think we get the usual "which side does he choose" storyline with the former TNA guys in WWE and the WWE guys in TNA. Talent exchanges would help WWE some but I think this is way more beneficial to TNA.

If anything the talent exchange would benefit TNA in the long run. Their wrestlers and the company as a whole will get much needed exposure albeit at the risk of some of their stars jumping ship once they see an opportunity in the WWE. I think that one night couldnt hurt anyone but WWE doesnt need any side projects regarding talent right now. They should focus on building up their own.

There was no talent exchange between JCP and WCCW for Flair and Von Erich to wrestle as JCP and WCCW and the promotion in Japan that put on the show were all apart of the NWA , as NWA champion Flair traveled to all territories under the NWA banner and defended the title, he travelled all around the world defeding the title, he had a different match in a different city against a different opponet most every night.

Anyone who doesnt think it would benefit both brands is not very smart.

The Flair, Christian exchange was just scratching the surface. Even though this wasnt a big deal, because both wrestlers didnt wrestle. It was a big deal in the fact that WWE and TNA agreed on something and worked together.

Way down the road I could see a scenario like this.

WWE and TNA agree to cross promote on 2 of there PPV's. WWE PPV and TNA PPV.

Vince could "invite" Dixie Carter to Raw. Vince could in his sexest way insult her and TNA.

Dixie could say her 2 best wrestlers could beat Vinces 2 best wrestlers. Something along those lines.

Vince could choose his top 2 wrestlers in Cena and Lesnar. Dixie chooses Abyss and Samoa Joe.

At the next TNA ppv you would have Samoa Joe vs. John Cena in the main event.

The following WWE ppv you would have Abyss vs. Lesnar.

There is a way to book the outcome of each match to benefit WWE and TNA.

The only argument people have as to why this shouldnt happen is because WWE doesnt want to promote TNA and make it bigger.

I think it would be good for business if TNA was bigger.

WCW vs. WWF was amazing TV. It made it much much much more fun.

I remember sitting on the school bus when my friend told me "The Giant" signed with the WWF.

TNA being better is good for the WWE.

Your point of view is based on pure, 100% fantasy booking. I like fantasy booking as much as the next fan but to think that this could work just because of how cool it sounds is foolish.

Pro wrestling has always beena cutthroat business at the end of the day. Back in the territory days, first and foremost, promoters were all about putting their company ahead of anyone or anything else. Talent exchanges happened every so often with cross promotional events being rare. When it was all said and done though, each promoter was in it for themselves. That's a mentality that hasn't changed all that much since those days.

Look at just a few of the egos that would be involved: Vince McMahon, Hulk Hogan, Triple H & Eric Bischoff. All four of these men have MASSIVE egos and they're just four of the many cooks that'd be trying to tend this fire. Do you honestly believe that these men will put aside their own personal arrogance for the sake of helping each other grow? C'mon now...there's not enough optimism in the world today to believe that such a thing has even a slight chance of taking place anywhere in the near future. The entire idea would almost certainly wind up imploding, due in part to the egos involved. I have little doubt that the WWE side would want to make sure that, when it's all said and done, the WWE came out looking better and I've no doubt that the TNA think tank would want the exact same thing for their company.

Which brings me to my next point: Why would WWE want to realistically help these other companies? Featuring talent for one or two nights that your audience might not be familiar with, and that ultimately wrestles for other companies, sounds like a cool idea but it's not something that's going to realistically benefit the WWE. Companies like ROH & TNA would have an opportunity to benefit simply from having their talent appear on WWE television. Raw typically draws anywhere from 4.5 to sometimes in excess of 5 million viewers a week during certain times of the year. I'm sure that TNA & ROH would get a kick from having Bobby Roode & Davey Richards wrestle in front of that sort of audience. Could that lead to an increase of their audience? Possibly. Would it be of any benefit to the size of WWE's audience? Highly unlikely. Those wrestlers don't draw huge audiences for their respective brands, so they're not likely to bring in many viewers for WWE, especially for just a one or two time appearance.

Also, your pick for TNA's top two wrestlers in Samoa Joe & Abyss is laughable. Not tryin' to be a dick or anything but..seriously? Those are the two that you think should be the guys that should do this??? Cena vs. Joe?? Really?? Samoa Joe hasn't been relevant for years now and mostly continues to get by in TNA based on nostalgia for what he's meant to TNA's past. As for Abyss, the idea that an Abyss vs. Lesnar match would draw is ludicrous. It's a good example of the general disparity in star power & drawing ability, in which TNA has far more to gain out of such an idea overall than WWE does. I'm sure Dixie Carter would be more than happy to let WWE elevate her company to another level as long as it meant that her company came out looking every bit as strong or better than WWE. That's just not going to happen.

Also, have you forgotten that TNA has filed a lawsuit against WWE? Regardless of who is declared as being right and wrong in the courts when it's all said and done, WWE is maintaining that they're being sued for doing the "right thing", alleging that they returned the material and have claimed to have made no use of it. If the courts agree with WWE, then there's still the fact that Vince will remember this. We all know Vince McMahon's ability to hold onto a grudge is the stuff legends are made of. If the courts side with TNA, Vince will not only hold a grudge but he'll be royally pissed off that he lost at something to TNA. Remember that thing about egos I was talking about earlier in the post? The only thing worse than Vince McMahon on an ego trip is Vince McMahon with a bruised ego.

The guys who think it wouldn't benefit WWE are ******ed. In the territorial days, nobody followed Mid-South if you lived in Texas or WCCW if you lived in Atlanta. So there was no prestige of having guys from those promotions working in yours (Flair vs Von Erich was an exception).

Would WWE benefit from having fresh good talents in their stale promotion? Absolutely. It'd give a different flavour to the shows having different talent in there. We might even get some great matches out of it. I know I would get my PPV money's worth watching Daniel Bryan vs Christopher Daniels. Most of WWE's roster is stacked with crappy wrestlers and even poorer actors (with a few exceptions). Plus we could possibly get the Sting vs Undertaker match that we've all been dying to see.

The only way for it to be really beneficial to both companies is if neither company buries the other's talent.

But this will never happen. WWE for the most part can just outbid TNA's talent if they want them.

problem with wwe over the last decade is easy - same guys on top. when there was competition, you had guys coming and going so there was always a new feud available, etc. a talent exchange would be great but there is a catch - you can't just have your talent go over all the time and you know there is no way Vince is going to get someone beat his wwe guys. while the idea is an interesting one, Vince's ego would never let it happen properly. Look back at the Invasion angle after he bought WCW. there was no way you could screw it up yet he managed to because the focus was always wwe. same thing would happen here.

The guys who think it wouldn't benefit WWE are ******ed. In the territorial days, nobody followed Mid-South if you lived in Texas or WCCW if you lived in Atlanta. So there was no prestige of having guys from those promotions working in yours (Flair vs Von Erich was an exception).

Call me ******ed, but it would not benefit WWE in anyway at all. And you can't compare a talent exchange between WWE & TNA with a talent exchange with a talent exchange between Mid South and WCCW, which were seen as a couple of the top organizations during their heyday. While TNA is the #2 organization in the US, it is a distant #2. It's not like WCW and WWE back during the monday night wars. Back then WCW and WWE were so close, that it was like coke and pepsi or geno's and pat's. A talent exchange during the height of the Monday Night Wars would benefit both WCW and WWE, because there were alot of folks who would watch only one or the other and not necessarily both. Can you say the same thing about WWE and TNA? Probably not. I'm going to say that a huge majority, around 95%, of TNA's audience watch the WWE, whereas I'm not exactly sure that you can say the same thing about WWE audience who watches TNA. WWE has a much bigger TV audience, let's say 3.0 as a rating compared to TNA's 1.0 rating. Now think about that one for a second. TNA gets the same rating that WWECW, Heat, Superstars, NXT and Tough Enough each did when they were all on TV. So at best, TNA is on the same level as Superstars. Then you have PPV events where WWE averages about 15,000 attendance per event, while TNA might average 5,000 attendance per event. The only benefit a talent exchange between TNA and WWE would give WWE, is maybe scouting new talent. And don't compare a talent exchange between WWE and TNA with the talent exchange between WWE and ECW. Don't forget, McMahon was helping ECW in its later years. He wanted more exposure for the ECW audience, he was financially backing them and plus the bigger ECW got, there might be an affect on WCW.

Would WWE benefit from having fresh good talents in their stale promotion? Absolutely. It'd give a different flavour to the shows having different talent in there. We might even get some great matches out of it. I know I would get my PPV money's worth watching Daniel Bryan vs Christopher Daniels. Most of WWE's roster is stacked with crappy wrestlers and even poorer actors (with a few exceptions). Plus we could possibly get the Sting vs Undertaker match that we've all been dying to see.

And you are right, WWE would benefit from having fresh new talents in their organization. But they have a solution to that already, it's called FCW. While Bryan vs. Daniels might be a great match, how many of the WWE audience even know who Christopher Daniels is? WWE already has a bunch of great talent that is either stuck on their internet shows or are in FCW, that they really don't need talent from TNA to freshen up their product. And as far was Sting and Undertaker being a match that we are all dying to see. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not dying to see it. If it was like 10 to15 years ago, then yeah I would be dying to see it, but now, no I'm not. Both guys, especially the Undertaker, are in the decline of their careers.

Really too short

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back