Could someone like Bob Backlund be WWF/E champion today?

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
I recently watched a match between Bob Backlund and Stan Hansen that too place in Madison Square Garden. The thing I noticed was that Backlund was the WWF Champion. He didn't fit the stereotype for the type of champion that we've seen in other promotions. He wasn't musclebound, wasn't that charismatic, and had a rather bland moveset. Although he was a great technical wrestler, it was hard to believe he had a decent run with the WWF Title before being beat by the Iron Sheik.

So as scrawny and as youthful as he looked, do you think Backlund could win the WWF Title in today's age? And why or why not?

If you call a 3 year run with the title decent I'd love to hear your definition of good.

And sure they could, because it was done again by one Kurt Angle. Angle back in 2000 when he first won the belt more or less was the second coming of Backlund. Back then Angle was clean cut and the American hero. Think about it: his finishing move is a belly to back suplex with him spinning just a bit. He mainly used amateur moves, he looked like a clean cut boy scout, he never cursed, and he talked like he was an after school special. Yes it was twisted a bit by the Attitude Era, but Angle was the modern Backlund. It certainly could work.

I suppose it could work, as KB brought up Angle as an example of a very, very similar character. But could Bob Backlund himself work as a WWE champion today? Honestly I really don't think so. I'm a huge Backlund mark, his matches during the late 70s, early 80s were easily the highlights of McMahon's entire promotion at that time when you had guys like the Moondogs opening shows. His title run has always been one of my favorite in WWE history, obviously I wasn't alive to see it, but I've seen enough of the old MSG house shows to know just how fucking great he was back then. But I don't think he'd work today as a champion, most people just wouldn't buy into it, and McMahon would never put a title on him. Angle, for being a "dorK", still was a muscular and good looking man. Backlund was pasty and not very toned, in today's WWE Vince probably wouldn't have even put him past the midcard.

If you call a 3 year run with the title decent I'd love to hear your definition of good.

Sarcasm. That's what that was.

And sure they could, because it was done again by one Kurt Angle. Angle back in 2000 when he first won the belt more or less was the second coming of Backlund. Back then Angle was clean cut and the American hero. Think about it: his finishing move is a belly to back suplex with him spinning just a bit. He mainly used amateur moves, he looked like a clean cut boy scout, he never cursed, and he talked like he was an after school special. Yes it was twisted a bit by the Attitude Era, but Angle was the modern Backlund. It certainly could work.

Angle was a lot like Backlund, but as you said, Angle was a little over the top, too. Backlund wasn't exactly gold on the mic until his later years when he was feuding with Bret Hart. It'd be tough to see him as a world champion today. I can see him as an IC champion and possibly get built up to a title shot. But we're talking about Cena, HHH, HBK, and others who are far more marketable than Backlund was. His day as champion seen a focus on more of the wrestling aspects than selling merchandise and PPV's. So as far as wrestling goes, it's a given that he'd stick around. But marketing? It'd be tougher to do than it would back in his day.

Angle back in 2000 when he first won the belt more or less was the second coming of Backlund. Back then Angle was clean cut and the American hero.

Point the first: In 2000, that all added up to a "clueless heel" character for Kurt Angle. Like when he told San Antonio Texas that they were known for Intensity and Integrity, and one day with hard work they could be known for their Intelligence.

Plus, Kurt Angle had two Olympic Gold Medals that he won with a Broken Frickin' Neck to wave at any paint-by-numbers bodybuilder or Terry Funk wannabe who challenged his toughness or his credibility. If he takes silver in the Olympics twice, I don't know that he makes it as a pro. Mind-boggling to think, but there it is.

A small wrestler, with below average mic skills, a plain moveset, and limited charisma would never get over as a babyface forget about being a world champion.

Kurt Angle was small, had incredible mic skills, a diverse moveset, and awesome charisma. He got over based on his great he was in and out of the ring. He adapted to the changing environment of wrestling.

Bob Backlund languished behind as charismatic talent like Billy Graham evolved. In the 1980's I am sure Vince McMahon saw little in Backlund and believed wrestling was less about in ring talent and more about entertainment. He would probably do well though in a Ring of Honor but World Champion I can never see.

I have been a wrestling fan longer than most of you were born. I've lived through the Backlund title reigns and I can tell you that he (or someone like him) could not make it today. Today's wrestling is completely different than the old school. Those guys could perform 60 minute draw matches several days a week. But then again, in their day, they used wrestling holds to stretch out their opponents. Today's is mostly flash, speed, high impact or power moves so much so that the style could not last a 60 minute match. It's a trade off.

This being said, Backlund's style is the style of the old AWA. The man could and still can wrestle; as most pros have confessed. His issue was mike skills and getting merchandise sold. He was popular for getting the job done in the ring; sort of like the old movies of the silent anti-heroes of the generation in "Death Wish", Walking Tall" (not the one with the Rock). As strong as a wrestler he was, he couldn't sell the toys, shirts, etc. that McMahon needed to keep the WWF afloat when he almost went bankrupt. It's well known that by the time Wrestlemania hit, it was a gamble because he put up all of his assets into this one show. Backlund could not draw the response revenued from this PPV.

Now Angle is a style sort of like Backlund; but he has the mike skills to promote and is willing to adjust to the new style; unlike Bob. There is a reason Angle is revered; he, like Backlund, can actually wrestle...unlike most.

I still am wondering to this day how he hasn't made it in the Hall of Fame, but Howard Finkle has. His style is way too boring for today's audience, but give the guy his due...he's EARNED it.

Well number one Bob backlunds moveset was incredible for his time. People didnt do all the crazy stuff they do now and he was one of the best technicians ever which was greatly appreciated back then. As far as charisma while he wasnt the best on the mic babyfaces didnt have to be back then people loved him because he was an ametuar champ who made it big in the pros. Backlund actually had a second title run in the 90s with his crazy old man charachter and he had great charisma then. he went over Hart at the 1994 Survivor Series. It only lasted 3 days so it wasnt much of a run but still impressive. I loved the first time he snapped and used the chicken wing then started staring at his hands like he didnt no what happened.Anyway as far as whether he could be today, we will soon seen because the American Dragon Bryan Danielson is basically a modern day version of him. Also some people talked about Angle, Benoit was actually very similiar to backlund in his style as well.

I remember on WWE 24/7 J.R. saying that Backlund turned down the Hall Of fame Nomination because he believes he has one more run left. That was about a year or two ago, I don't know if Mr. Backlund still feels the same way.

After watching the Hogan DVD (the new one), I believe Backlund certainly had what it takes to do well, it's just a matter of him being booked well. He took a young, green heel Hogan (Backlund was young btw as well), and both put on a pretty damn good match that i was surprised with how good it was.

When I was done with the match, Kurt Angle springs to mind. It's the obvious choice. Backlund doesn't have the amateur background the calibre of Angle's though, and I'm not sure if he could make a character as interesting as Angle's All American was. The Howdy Doody thing worked, in the worst time for the WWF. That kind of crap would have been killed. Backlund might have been likened to a Chris Benoit, without the intensity

Your absolutely right, I also saw that match on Hogan's new DVD, and I really enjoyed it. But I think it comes down to how the fans react towards Backlund, and if Vince is willing to give him one last ride. Even as a heel, would the modern day fans care about Backlund ?

I dont think a wrestler like Backlund could make it today. He would need something more than just youth and technical prowess. He would need a slight gimmick and a catchphrase. Backlund wasnt really known for his mic work in the early days. This is something that is a must have in today's WWE.

Angle definately is the best comparison to Backlund. However, Angle had a gimmick and was great on the mic. Something that Backlund did not have and never was.

How about Chris Benoit? He was a great technical wrestler. Poor on the mic. Not much of a gimmick or catch phrase. But, he made it to the title.

If there is anyone that could be close to Backlund in today's WWE, it's probably Bryan Danielson. We have yet to see what happens with Danielson, but after seeing his past work, he could be what Backlund was. Not too exciting, kinda bland personality-wise, but could work with the best of them. Package him right, maybe he's a future champion.

There's no way he could make it today. Bob was bland in an era where you didn't build character you just wrestled. Today's wrestling is based on characters not on wrestling ability. Backlund could wrestle so he could make it in ROH possibly but in WWE I could not see it happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back