Cop breaks kids arm; Family now suing for 1 Million

Akhilleus

Getting Noticed By Management
[YOUTUBE]D77DHA1MEEE[/YOUTUBE]

The events from the video happened back in October. For those of you who did not watch it this is what happened...Two police officers are in a small bus trying to talk a teenager into getting off of the bus. From the video you can't tell exactly what the situation is, but you see the teen doesn't respond at all. After pleading with the teen multiple times to leave the bus with them, and warning they will have to use force if he doesn't, the officers pull the boy out of the seat. He struggles, and the one cop (The one who looks like Hank from Breaking Bad) puts his arm behind his back, which then results in the kids arm being snapped. He yells in pain, and the cops then take him off the bus.

After some research I did find out a little more about the story. The teen in the video, who is 16 years old, had apparently threatened the bus driver. The driver then said he couldn't transport the teen safely because of it, and the police we called after the kid refused to leave the bus. The kid apparently has "Tourette syndrome, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder and pervasive developmental disorder" from what one of the articles I read said. Another article that was clearly favoring the side of the teen simply called him a "mentally disabled child" which I think is a slight exaggeration.

Considering I plan to go into a career in Law Enforcement it is difficult to pick a side. On one hand you have two large police officers who went to an extreme when they used that much force to get the obviously troubled kid off the bus. They could have done a variety of different things such as waiting for the parents. Although from what I read they think the mother was outside of the bus too, so I have no idea why she wasn't able to control her child and force him off the bus herself. Or if the kid is as troubled as they claim why does he not have an aid with him? There was apparently a special needs aid on the bus, along with the teen's brother. Could the brother not talk him down as well?

Yet on the other hand it isn't an easy situation for the officers either. They are in a very cramped space being on that tiny bus. The kids on the bus are already late for school, and they simply are trying to defuse the situation and get the bus going again. They talk to the kid a good bit in hopes he'll leave on his own, and even warn him several times that they don't want to use force. The teen isn't some skinny little boy either he is a rather big kid, and the cops don't know if he's going to start swinging fists at him or not. In fact from what they saw they almost expect him too.

Now when the arm breaks it's when the cops decide this boy is not going to leave on his own two feet and that they're going to have to use some sort of force. It appears they're trying to handcuff him when his arm twists the wrong way, and it breaks. I definitely don't think the officer did it intentionally, because when it happened it almost looked like he was taken aback. One of them even said "...broke his f*cking arm" as if he was basically saying oh crap.

The Chief of their department said the officers did no wrong, but did they? Like I said it's hard to say. I definitely don't think they went about it the right way, but at the same time you can't give them hell for what happened. They were obviously trying to avoid something like that, and the boy brought it on himself after ignoring several warnings and pleas from the cops. As far as him being mentally disabled like I said I think that may be a slight exaggeration. He obviously has some emotional problems, but in this day and age there are a lot of kids who do. It's not like he was full blown ******ed, he knew what he was doing and what situation he was in. I do not think the officer broke his arm intentionally, but then again for that kind of snap he did have to be using a lot of force. Still the boy was struggling, it was a small space, and for me I can't fault the officers too much. Was it handled the perfect way? No obviously not, but do the officers and the department deserved to be sued? Definitely not as well.

Meh, fuck that little twerp; he got what he deserved.

If he truly does have all those disorders (which I don't buy), then he shouldn't be riding on a normal school bus anyway. He is a danger to everyone around him and should have a guardian with him at all times.

Also, I doubt the cop meant to hurt him. However, if you give a cop no other choice than to use force, then whatever happens past that point is your own fault. It's not the cop(s) fault. Is a cop supposed to ask everyone for their mental records and be extra careful and understanding to those with various disorders? Things don't work that way.

In so many instances, it often occurs that police are "damned if they do and damned if they don't."

We demand they put their lives on the line to protect us, yet society too often looks to rip them apart if they're deemed to be too rough or too gentle, act too fast or don't act fast enough, or don't stop to consider the "feelings" of the alleged victim or perpetrator.

Looking at the video without sound, it doesn't seem to me the kid was fighting the cops, causing his own arm to break; he was bent over forward on the seat and the officer appeared to twist his arm upward too far and too fast. But, you know what? I'm not in a position to say the cop used excessive force or did anything wrong. The two officers were called on to defuse a potentially dangerous situation and their handling of the kid while he was in his seat looked as if it was done calmly and properly.

Could the cops have been using obscene language and threatening the kid? Sure, they could, but if he wasn't cooperating with the police, I have no problem with them not considering his delicate sensitivities.

As for the family suing, my feeling is that if a person is breaking the law or not cooperating with authorities, he and his family should not be allowed to profit from any injuries that result from his wrongdoing. In other words, if he had gotten off the bus in an orderly fashion when ordered to, there would have been no injuries and no damage.

If the kid's family feels the police acted improperly, they could file a complaint in an effort to get the officer(s) disciplined, but in no circumstance should the family enjoy financial gain for an act that was started by the kid.

I don't think there is nearly enough evidence on the cops that should warrant them being fired qnd there is certainly not enough to sue for 1 million dollars.

From what I saw and heard from the video the cops sounded like they were handling the situation as good as they could have, even warning the kid that force would have to be used if he didn't cooperate. When the one cop put his arm behind his back it looked fairly standard from what I've seen until the arm snapped, then the cop let go and it did get the kid off the bus. jmt made a good point, if the kid had the mental disorders his parents claim (which I doubt for some reason) then he shouldn't be on the bus in the first place, that's why special buses exist.

All in all the most that should happen is an internal investigation to be sure the cops weren't out of line but from what I saw the cops did nothing wrong.

As far as the mental disorders and the kid being on the bus goes, it does appear that it is actually a short bus. I'm actually not sure where the bus was going, because I don't believe it was a public school. One of the articles I read said they were going to Parsons Child and Family Center. Which according to their website "provides community-based and residential behavioral health services for children and families who are traumatized and in crisis".

None the less that doesn't change how I feel about the situation. The officers did their jobs to the best of their abilities.

Ouch. That looked like a bit too much force. I think that warrants medical compensation. The cop did what he did but he clearly went too far for a kid that was showing no physical difficulty. I understand that the cops were just doing their job but they went about it wrong at the end by trying to restrain him like that in such a cramped space.

Does it warrant firing them? I gotta be honest, that just didn't look too professional. It's clear that they weren't abusing the child physically or even verbally judging by their very limited and passive movements, but that execution led to very deep physical damage. I don't know what to say other than make them review their handling of said types of situation. The kid may have his mental issues but he wasn't causing any physical issues when confronted. The cops went for a brute restraint and the boy now has a broken arm added to the list of medical issues.

I don't know. With the way the cop twisted the arm and then jerked it up the way he did it certainly looks like he knew what he was doing.

That being said it's hard to tell if the kid was resisting and honestly the cops seemed really calm when they were talking to him.

What really can they do?
Does the force look a little excessive? Sure.
The kid could have avoided that though by just getting up and walking off the bus.

With only 1:38 seconds of context though is there more to this than what we saw? Had the cops been on the bus longer than the video shows? The video doesn't actually show them walking onto the bus. Who knows how long they had been on there talking to him?

As mentioned above if the mom and brother were both there did they get a chance to talk to the boy before the cops came on the bus?

I can understand the family being mad but it seems like all this could have been avoided if the kid did what he was asked to do.

Seems like the officers tried to talk to him calmly and rationally and he still defied them. So they made a choice to remove him by force. At some point they had to. At least they didn't hit him with a taser or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back