• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Contender or Pretender

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
After tonight's MNF game the NFL season will be just about a quarter over and there are a few teams with winning records that not many people expected to be good. I'll give the teams and you tell me if they are contenders or pretenders.

Kansas City Chiefs (3-0)- I will say the Chiefs are a contender. They are easily the most surprising team thus far. Their record hasn't come against the best competition but they are also in a very average division. The Chargers always start slow and turn it on but they can't bank on that happening every single year. The Chiefs have a lot of young talent and a tremendous coaching staff. I still believe the Chargers will end up winning the division but the Chiefs will stay in it.

Chicago Bears (3-1)- I say the Bears are pretenders. They could easily be 1-3 and in fact really should be 2-2 considering what happened in week 1 against the Lions. Their offense has been horrible every week except for week 2 against Dallas. They beat Detorit with a questionable call/rule, beat Green Bay with special teams and the fact that the Pack shot themselves in the foot with penalties. Then last night they got beat by an average NYG team. Cutler was awful last night and also has a concussion. The Bears have a lot of questions with not many answers. Looking at the second half of their schedule, they could easily go 1-7 to end the season.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-1)- Definitely pretenders. They have a solid young foundation and Josh Freeman has a bright future but they just don't have enough talent at this point. Their only wins are over Cleveland and Carolina. They will win a few games this year but not nearly enough to contend with the big boys.

Agree with everything you said. And I really couldn't add any more than that. But I'll try.

Bears---]Pretenders

Pretty lucky on two wins. That Lions game was not a win for them. That horse has been beaten to death, but its true. The Pack had an off night against the Bears with all those penalties. I don't see them getting much more breaks during the season. They showed last night when they got beat by the Giants that they aren't anything special. Don't see them making the playoffs.

Bucs---Pretenders

Tough division with the Saints and Falcons. I like what they have going on down there, but not for this year. Josh Freeman will be a great QB for them and their young guys will get better. But they don't have the pieces to take on some of the more talented teams. Again, good guys, but still a few years down the line.

Chiefs---Contender

I like what they have going here. They have a great coaching staff (maybe best in the league; paying attention 49ers?), and good talent on that team. Cassell is going to have to play better (not sure if he can), and it will be tough, but they play in the West. The Raiders aren't good (surprise surprise), the Broncos are decent but won't be any good as the year goes on (I know someone on these forums who will argue differently), and I honestly believe the Chargers aren't going to be as good as years past. The Chiefs have a real opportunity to win the division.

Bears-Pretenders. They have no real running game to speak of, and to win, especially down the stretch, you have to be able to run the football. Chester Taylor looks like an early bust of a signing. They should have lost to the hapless Detroit Lions, and they would be 2-2, and we wouldnt even be having this discussion. With Jay Cutlers health in question, and the teams running defense exposed by the Giants last night, this team will fade fast in a tough division.

Buccaneers-Pretenders I live in Pittsburgh, so Im a huge Steelers fan. Charlie Batch is #4 on the Steelers depth chart at QB, and he looked like a Hall of Fame QB against them. They couldnt stop Rashard Mendenhall behind a very makeshift and below average offensive line. They have nice prospects for the future with Josh Freeman at QB and Mike Williams and Arrelius Benn at WR, but theyre not there yet.

ChiefsContenders This defense is legit. Philip Rivers passed all over his other 3 oppponents, and the Chiefs rattled him like no other team has, maybe ever. They have game breakers on offense in Chaarles, McCluster and Bowe, and all Matt Cassell has to do is manage the game and not force throws like he has the tendency to do, for this team with the weapons they have for this team to be successful on offense. Not to mention they play in a lousy division where they could easily go at least 4-2.

Bears-Contenders (by Default) as i am a bears fan i am a little biased....But why do we bash the Bears beating Dallas soundly and Green Bay both title contenders but not KC? riddle me that huh. and if you havent been watching the Lions are a much better team granted still winless but they been in every game they've played....and look at the division now Vikings showing there age and have a tough schedule...Lions starting QB out...and Packers havent gotten out the gate yet (oh by the way they've beaten the Bills and barley the Lions yet no hate on them?) This division is winnable. So far Cutler has had one horrible game and it spells doom now? Not yet.

Kansas City- Pretenders....by a narrow margin...Look at the body of work one win over a playoff team...the other wins (1-3)Browns and (0-4) 49ers and i dont think anyone had these teams in the Super Bowl huh? And San Diego is a late blooming team they'll win the division again...dont get me wrong KC is going in the right direction but they wont make the playoffs and you'll see there true colors this week against the Colts.

Tampa Bay - PRETENDERS!!!!!!!!!!- This is the Falcons and Saints division only! and i still think the Panthers will have a better season too if Steve Smith stays healthy...Pittsburgh stomped this team with a 4th string QB!!! Imagine that with Ben in come on man...Tampa is still rebuilding..Freeman is still learning he is a project.

Bears-Contenders (by Default) as i am a bears fan i am a little biased....But why do we bash the Bears beating Dallas soundly and Green Bay both title contenders but not KC? riddle me that huh. and if you havent been watching the Lions are a much better team granted still winless but they been in every game they've played....and look at the division now Vikings showing there age and have a tough schedule...Lions starting QB out...and Packers havent gotten out the gate yet (oh by the way they've beaten the Bills and barley the Lions yet no hate on them?) This division is winnable. So far Cutler has had one horrible game and it spells doom now? Not yet.

You're right the Lions have been tough and much better than last year. and you know they shouldn't be winless. As a Bears' fan how can you compare your win to the Packers' win? Your team got lucky as hell you didn't lose to the Lions at home. That was a TD and you know it. Yes it was the right call but a terrible rule and the Bears should have lost that game. That would make you 2-2. You beat the Cowboys, who in my mind are the most overrated team in the league. You got manhandled by the Giants, exposing your horrible offensive line. And the Giants aren't a great team by any stretch of the imagination.

Looking at your division now. The Vikings have a better running game, offensive line, defense, and QB than the Bears. They've had some injuries at WR, but expect them to bounce back. They're too good to not. The Packers atill have a better QB, running attack, WRs than the Bears. That team usually doesn't make many mistakes so don't count on that. The Bears have had an ok start to the season, but nothing that should make you think Super Bowl or even division title. They're not that good.

Kansas City Chiefs (3-0)

I still think the Chargers are going to take the division, but I think the Chiefs are going to give them a hell of a fight and battle for a playoff spot. So yes I believe the Chiefs are a contender. Offense is a bit inconsistent, but when it is on they are pretty darn good. They have a solid run team in Charles and Jones, plus a rising rookies in Tony Moeaki and Dexter McCluster. Cassel has the weapons (lets not forget Dwayne Bowe as well) to put some points up. Plus the young defense looks good early on.

Chicago Bears (3-1)

I'm iffy on the Bears. They were shaky week one against the Lions (and probably should have lost), looked good against Dallas and Green Bay, but faltered against the Giants. It seems as if the Bears play up to their potential against top teams, but play down to teams that they should beat. That is a recipe for failure and that is why I'm booking the Bears as a pretender. I just don't trust Martz and Cutler enough for them to compete.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-1)

This ones pretty easy. Their two wins came from two average teams in Cleveland and Carolina and their loss came against a top team in Pittsburgh. The team is young and lacks a legit running game. A lot of nice talent that could be good down the road, but they lost their best defensive player in Tanard Jackson for the season and I don't think they have the tools to compete. The Buccaneers are pretenders.

Kansas City Chiefs (3-0)

Pretenders. Seriously. I'm not just saying this because I hate the Chiefs, but this team is as overrated as they come in the NFl, they're the third best team in their own division, how the fuck would they be contenders? The first win wasn't exactly luck, but come December 12, (when the Chiefs play SD in SD) the Chargers will prove that they are a much better team then the Cheffers, the second win was againest a shit team, and they barely grinded out a W in that game, the third game was once again againest a shit team, but they did commpletely outclass them, so no criticism on that one.

Bottom line is that the Chefs are not a good team, their defense is quite solid, and may win them a few gamea, but with a shitty QB, and a overall subpar offense, I don't see them winning the division, much less contending for a SB.

Chicago Bears (3-1)

You're spot on with your whole analyisis of the team. Da Bears are pretty shit this year, Cutler isn't nearly as good looking as he once was, the O-Line gets abused every fucking down, not a good looking future for the Bears.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-1)

Pretenders, they simply don't have enough weapons to contend for anything.

I never said the Bears where going to the Super Bowl god No!!! I just think the Bears have the best shot to make the playoffs out of the other teams....Kansas City is in the tough AFC...Lets say the Chargers win the division which i think will meaning KC needs a wildcard...ok here are a closer look at AFC teams fighting for a playoff spot or has a shot. AFC North - Steelers, Ravens, Bengals AFC South - Texans, Colts, Titans AFC East - Jets, Pats....now there are only 2 wildcard spots now honestly do you think the Chiefs could beat the Colts, Steelers, or Jets...hell no all these teams will have good records...now look at the NFC...The West will only have one team in the playoffs and hell that could be a 6-10 rams team for all we know....The South has the falcons and Saints two teams with legit shot of playoffs...the east is a clusterf**** of overrated teams 9-7 can win that division...the north i think and have said Packers win the division..but with Minnesota slow start and upcoming tough schedule no can deny the Bears have at least a shot of the wildcard.....i know the Bears arent Super Bowl bound now come on im not that foolish but i also understand the NFC is weaker than the AFC...and the North could easily have both wildcards possibly come from there.

I never said the Bears where going to the Super Bowl god No!!! I just think the Bears have the best shot to make the playoffs out of the other teams....Kansas City is in the tough AFC...Lets say the Chargers win the division which i think will meaning KC needs a wildcard...ok here are a closer look at AFC teams fighting for a playoff spot or has a shot. AFC North - Steelers, Ravens, Bengals AFC South - Texans, Colts, Titans AFC East - Jets, Pats....now there are only 2 wildcard spots now honestly do you think the Chiefs could beat the Colts, Steelers, or Jets...hell no all these teams will have good records...now look at the NFC...The West will only have one team in the playoffs and hell that could be a 6-10 rams team for all we know....The South has the falcons and Saints two teams with legit shot of playoffs...the east is a clusterf**** of overrated teams 9-7 can win that division...the north i think and have said Packers win the division..but with Minnesota slow start and upcoming tough schedule no can deny the Bears have at least a shot of the wildcard.....i know the Bears arent Super Bowl bound now come on im not that foolish but i also understand the NFC is weaker than the AFC...and the North could easily have both wildcards possibly come from there.

I've said that I think the Chiefs will win the division, so they wouldn't have to worry about the wildcard. I've also explained how the Vikings have a better team than the Bears, and the addition of Moss will only help open up that offense more. Do you put 8 in the box to stop Peterson and let Moss burn your secondary, or do you stop Moss and let Peterson run over you? See how that move changes things? I know the NFC is weak, but I just don't think the Bears are that good. They are 3rd best in the division at best.

There no way the Chiefs will win the division....They have Indy this week...Houston next week..Denver twice still..Tennessee titans..and the Chargers yet again....the Chiefs have beaten how many "contenders" this year? there wins are over the Browns, 49ers and Chargers...Browns and 49ers are a combined 1-7?...

And yes the Bears are 3rd best in there division but can still fight for an wildcard....remember how i said the east is a culster....Falcons have a very tough schedule left...be real no way in hell the west gets a wildcard team let alone two...The North has the Best chance for 3 teams to make it...and have proven they can beat the Packers...and they beat an ok Dallas team...im just sayin the Bears have a more likely chance than the chiefs.

I'd say the Cheifs are contenders, simply looking at their division. The Broncos and the Raiders are pretty shit, and the Chargers have to miss the playoffs eventually if they keep underacheiving. The Cheifs play good D and have an explosive runner. Cassel just has to manage the game, which he's capable of. I could definetly see them going 10-6 and winning the West this year.

I happen to think the Bears are contenders as well, assuming Cutler comes back pretty soon. It seems like he and Martz are really working well together. He's always had the talent, maybe he's finally putting it all together. They have some talented receievers and a rejuvinated defense led by Urlacher. Definitely better than the Vikings, I see them winning the wildcard, that is, as long as Todd Collins doesn't start anymore than 2 more games for them.

The Bucs are definitely pretenders. I watched the Steelers completely embarass them in Tampa a few weeks ago. They simply don't have enough talent, especially at the skill positions. Josh Freeman did look really impressive though. I could see him being a very good QB at some point, as long as he gets a little talent around him.

This will be a big addition to the contender or pretender thread. Also feel free to talk about teams discussed earlier in this thread if you have a change of opinion.

Houston- They've been beaten soundly by the Cowboys and Giants and needed a huge comeback to beat the Redskins. They struggled against the Raiders and their only really impressive victory was over the Colts in week one. I'm actually going to say pretender with them. I believe the AFC South will only produce one playoff team and that will end up being the Colts so by default I say pretender.

Jacksonville and Tennessee- Like I said I believe the Colts will be the only AFC South team to make the playoffs so both these teams are pretenders. The Titans are better then the Jags but neither will make the playoffs.

Arizona- It pains me to say this but contender. They pulled off a big upset over the defending Super Bowl champs and did it with a rookie free agent qb starting half the game. It was possibly the most unimpressive win this season but a win nonetheless. They play in arguably the worst division in NFL history so they are contenders almost by default.

Washington/Philly/Giants- This will be one of the funnest divisions to watch. I could easily see only one team from this division making the playoffs but really have no clue who will come out on top. If I had to pick now I'd say Washington wins the division as both their losses were games they should have won. They blew a huge lead against Houston and played down to their competition against a below average St Louis team. That being said all three teams are contenders.

The Texans seemed like the sexy team early on and many claimed them to be the team that finally makes the step and gets into the playoffs. Though it seems as if people have been saying that the last few years with Houston. They remind me of the Bengals in terms of taking the step. Everyone was buying them as a playoff team back after they improved from 2-14 to 8-8. They finished the year 8-8. I think that will be the Texans last year. I still think they are contenders. If the defense can start playing better and Andre gets healthy the Texans will get back into the swing of things.

Jacksonville and Tennessee

I think the Jags are pretenders and the Titans are contenders. I just don't buy the Jags. They seem to inconsistent for me to buy into them. Garrard either looks good or he looks terrible. However they are better than I expected them to be. I could buy them winning 7 or 8 games this year. Tennessee has Houston and Indy to compete with, but the South could very well yield 3 playoff teams. Unlikely, but I think they will get one of the wild card spots. It all relies on VY and the guy wins games. Plus the Titans seem to have a step above other teams in mind games, as teams think they are a dirty team.

I agree with you completely here Big Sexy. The Cards are contenders by default. They play in a TERRIBLE division and I say that nicely. Max Hall, while he isn't special seem to provide a spark that got the team to rally around him and score a win over last years Super Bowl champs.

Washington/Philly/Giants

Man the NFCE is a clusterfuck. I like the Giants this year, as I think a lot of people slept on them while the hype was on Philly, DC, and Big D. Dallas seems to be faultering, but I wouldn't count them out yet. Back to the GMen. I think they are contenders. They raped the Bears OLine on Sunday night and they got great pressure against the Texans. Reminds me of their Super Bowl team. If Eli can stop turning it over, they could win the division. I also think the Skins are contenders. I didn't buy into the hype during the offseason, but I think they are good enough to fight for a playoff spot. If they can find a solid run game I'd believe in them more. Now Philly is shaky. I'm sure on them yet. So I'm gonna say pretenders. I love Shady Mac at RB, but I'm still not sure on Vick or Kolb. Vick was good against bad defenses (minus a half vs. GB). Neither were good against Washington and Kolb looked top notch against a weak SF team. Defense still worries me in Philly though.

This is why i love football (american)....now we almost have to say hey Kansas City is a contender like wise Da Bears with there divisions looking weak....and funny thing the big time Pretender with the Bucs might become contender as well with the saints and falcons knocking each other out and having tough times (saints obviously more)...and remember for what past 4 or 5 seasons the team who came dead last season has won this division (not saying tampa will though)..as to the new teams

Washington - these guys are like LSU of the NFL....you just don't know honestly...wins over Philly and Green Bay but loses to St. Louis who got beat down by Detriot...this is the most confusing team in the league...true test is this sunday night against the Colts..for now im saying pretender just cause of the St. Louis game.

Philly(with Vick) - Contender all the way...Vick has looked like the MVP of the league when playing and he gives the philly team the best shot of winning the division and honestly conference way things are looking like now with Packers, Vikings, Cowboys, and Saints showing signs of weakness.

Philly(with Kolb) - Pretender, Look i like Kolb but it would be his first season as a starter..for one his confidence is shot after being benched. two you take away the deep ball theart..three he cant scamble...look i think kolb will have a good career...just look at Aaron Rodgers first year after Farve.

NY Giants - Depends on which team shows up...the team we seen past two games...are a Super Bowl Contender...this Defense is looking great right now and if Eli can manage the game get some scoring drives this team seems to be a very scaring and hard team to beat. thats if the team we seen past two games shows up.

Houston Texans-Contender, first they have a great offense especially when healthy ...i think they have just run into some great competition...Dallas is a super bowl contender to begin the year and past two games the Giants look like the G men of old...plus the division is all at 3-2....honestly i can see them as a wildcard i still think Indy has the division but they need fixed too.

Jags - Pretender, Colts arent the Colts we all are accustomed too this year for one so that win isn't so huge...and the bills? My high school team can beat them and as it states now my school is 0-7 does that tell you something about the bills? i thought this team was going to have a top 5 or 10 pick this year and im standing by that still

Arizona Cardinals - is there a way to be both? well look at the division i mean i think Indiana Hoosiers could win this division....i mean hell 6-10 could win this division so by default contenders.....49ers are suppose to be the class of this division and there one of 3 teams without a win...St. Louis looked like they might have been the favorite but got blasted by DETROIT LIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS IS NOT A JOKE THE LIONS PEOPLE!!! I just don't get this division...i mean the Cards have talent and if they can pull it together maybe develop a run game maybe they can get to 8-8 to 9-7! Oh Boy!

Kansas City Chiefs

Definitely a contender. Romeo Cornell has really shaped that defense up, and because of that they'll be in every single game, no matter against who, as we saw yesterday when they played the Colts. Their running game is absolutely stellar as well. Matt Cassell, however, still hasn't come out of his shell. I'm waiting, because I really do believe this dude is the real deal, but for Kansas City to beat the top teams in the AFC, they'll need Cassell to get his game up. He's the key at this point, and eventually.. I do think he'll become an elite QB in the league, or at the very least a solid, consistent one.

Chicago Bears

Once again, definitely a contender. Their defense is as good as ever, and Jay Cutler is playing the best football of his life. They also have a very solid running game. Their only problem is that sorry excuse of an offensive line. That's going to keep them from winning the NFC, but they'll still make it to the playoffs, no doubt.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Pretender. They're off to a good start, but they'll eventually get exposed. Freeman is a decent quarterback, and the Bucs defense is alright, but overall they're an average team who's gotten lucky thus far this season. The Saints will destroy them next week; mark my words.

Contender. Defense could use a little shaping up, but Schaub and Foster are the real deal. This team will put up a lot of points this season, and they'll be a threat to anyone they face. No doubt about it.

Both contenders. Both have great running games, decent-to-good defenses, and their quarterbacks are playing the best football of their lives. As long as the QBs continue to play well, they'll continue winning games. However, I'm not so certain how consistent Young and Garrard can remain, but nevertheless... I'll still give them a contender spot.

Pretender. Yesterday they beat the Saints only because of turnovers, which were all the Saints fault. They also would have had a few turnovers themselves, but they got the lucky bounce all throughout the game. Their QB could end up being good in a year or two, but for now... they just don't have what it takes to consistently beat teams in this league, terrible division or not.

Washington/Philly/Giants

All contenders.

Redskins... great coaching. That's all there is to it.

Philly... good quarterbacks, good defense, and great coaching.

Giants... they're pretty much the same team that won the Super Bowl. This team can turn it on whenever they want, and when they do... they're a damn hard team to beat in this league.

I say contender, the offense is extremely good, and even while they've been playing pretty poorly lately, this is still a very dangerous team. Even when they don't play as well as they'd like to, they find ways to win, mark of a good team right there.

Both contenders, both have great running games, and solid defense. Never count out either of these teams.

Pretender, the Cards suck, the win the other night was more the Saints shooting themselves in the foot than the Cards doing anything right.

Washington/Philly/Giants

The Redskins are very good, they've got a great coach in Shannahan, McNabb is still playing at a high level, once they get Portis back they'll be even better. I say contenders.

Philly is also a very good team, Andy Reid is a fantastic coach, Vick looks like the league MVP when he's healthy, and the defense is superb, defnitley contenders.

The Giants are also contenders, like jmt noted they are pretty much the same team that won the super bowl, it's up to them to turn up the heat when they need to win games.

I'm going to switch it up a little this week and look at some of the surprising teams that are below .500 and ask whether they are still contenders or pretenders.

Dallas Cowboys- Pretenders. They're 1-4 in a fairly tough NFC East. Only 5 teams have ever started 1-4 and made the playoffs. Their defense has not looked that great and their offense, particularly the running game, has been very inconsistent.

Minnesota Vikings- Contenders. They are 2-3 and their division isn't looking as strong as it once did. The Bears are a horrible 4-2 team and the Packers are struggling to win big games. The Vikes are still in this as long as Favre can stay healthy.

San Fransisco 49ers- Contenders by default. They finally got their first win of the season and even though they are 1-5 their next 5 games are all very winnable. It helps that they are in an atrocious division.

Cincinnati Bengals- Pretenders. The Bengals cannot compete with the Ravens and Steelers and there is no way the AFC North is getting more then two playoff teams.

San Diego Chargers- Contenders. The Chargers need to get their shit together but it helps that they are in a weak division. KC had a chance to get a nice lead on them in the division hunt but they blew a big lead against the Texans. The Bolts cannot lose anymore games to teams like Seattle, Oakland, and St Louis.

Dallas Cowboys- Pretenders. They're 1-4 in a fairly tough NFC East. Only 5 teams have ever started 1-4 and made the playoffs. Their defense has not looked that great and their offense, particularly the running game, has been very inconsistent.
To their credit, they have outgained their opponents every week, so the offense isn't necessarily struggling. However, they play in a really tough division, and keep killing themselves with penalties. So definitely PRETENDER.

Minnesota Vikings- Contenders. They are 2-3 and their division isn't looking as strong as it once did. The Bears are a horrible 4-2 team and the Packers are struggling to win big games. The Vikes are still in this as long as Favre can stay healthy.
I think the big key is as long as Favre can stay healthy. He has tendonitis in his elbow, and got beat up a bunch yesterday against Dallas. I can't see him staying healthy all year now, so I'd say they are PRETENDERS.

San Fransisco 49ers- Contenders by default. They finally got their first win of the season and even though they are 1-5 their next 5 games are all very winnable. It helps that they are in an atrocious division.
I'd say PRETENDER, based on the fact that the RAMS magically look like a pretty good football team (by pretty good, I mean win the division at 8-8). The 49ers only win was against the hapless Oakland Raiders. The Rams beat the Chargers, Redskins, and Seahawks. The Cardinals beat the reigning Super Bowl Champs, and the Seahawks beat the Bears, Chargers, and the very team in question. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers finish last in the division.

Cincinnati Bengals- Pretenders. The Bengals cannot compete with the Ravens and Steelers and there is no way the AFC North is getting more then two playoff teams.
I think the Bengals are somewhere IN BETWEEN. They aren't contenders yet, but not pretenders. While they are 2-3 (2 games back from the Steelers), they can still get hot, if Carson Palmer can become not garbage (the former first overall pick has the ability). Plus, one of the Bengals wins is against the Ravens, whom you said they can't compete with.

San Diego Chargers- Contenders. The Chargers need to get their shit together but it helps that they are in a weak division. KC had a chance to get a nice lead on them in the division hunt but they blew a big lead against the Texans. The Bolts cannot lose anymore games to teams like Seattle, Oakland, and St Louis.
The Chargers have looked BAD this season, losing to 3 teams they normally would beat easily in previous years. Also, Antonio Gates got nicked up yesterday, if he misses time, especially before Vincent Jackson returns, the passing game will suffer terribly, and their season is over. However, they are only 1 game back, so I say CONTENDER, until they fall further back.

I'd say PRETENDER, based on the fact that the RAMS magically look like a pretty good football team (by pretty good, I mean win the division at 8-8). The 49ers only win was against the hapless Oakland Raiders. The Rams beat the Chargers, Redskins, and Seahawks. The Cardinals beat the reigning Super Bowl Champs, and the Seahawks beat the Bears, Chargers, and the very team in question. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the 49ers finish last in the division.

The 49ers win may have been against the hapless Raiders but 8 of their last 10 games are against pretty hapless teams. Their next 5 games are against Carolina, Denver, St Louis, Tampa Bay, and Arizona. The Rams have had a couple nice wins but they also lost to the Lions 44-6. If the Niners can't at least go 4-1 in their next 5 then I'll say pretender but until then I see them as contenders.
I think the Bengals are somewhere IN BETWEEN. They aren't contenders yet, but not pretenders. While they are 2-3 (2 games back from the Steelers), they can still get hot, if Carson Palmer can become not garbage (the former first overall pick has the ability). Plus, one of the Bengals wins is against the Ravens, whom you said they can't compete with.

I knew someone would bring up the Ravens loss to Cincy. Overall they cannot compete with the Ravens. Joe Flacco played one of the worst games of his career and it still took TWO horrible calls by the officials to give the Bengals that win. You can't lose to Cleveland and Tampa Bay back to back weeks when you're in a division as good as the AFC North.

Cowboys---Prentenders

They haven't been playing very good. Penalties are killing this team, whixh shows a lack of discipline and that's on the coach. The East is a tough divsion with all the other team playing much better, so no I don't see them as contenders.

Vikings---Contenders

Yes, because I don't think the Bears are any good, and the Packers are dealing with too many injuries. Farve's injury has me concerned a little about them, but I think he can survive and this team will contend.

49ers---Pretenders

Any other team would have manhandled the Raiders the way they played yesterday. Not the 49ers. They won by default. The Raiders were so bad, so horrendous, the Niners looked ok. But if the 49ers played anyone else yesterday like that, they lose. I understand they have winnable games, but doesn't mean they can. The Rams are surprising teams, and the Seahawks and Cardinals are getting wins.

Bengals---Pretenders

They are in a tough division, in a tough conference. The Ravens and Steelers are way better than the Bengals. Palmer is not playing like he has a few yeas ago. I can rattle off probably 8 teams that are better than them and have a better shot at the playoffs.

Chargers---Pretenders

I'm sorry, but I don't see them being able to just turn it on like they have the past couple seasons. I know the West is weak, but I still like the Chiefs to win the division. They have lost to teams that they shouldn't be losing to. I just don't see that switch being turned on again.

Dallas Cowboys

I may be in the minority here but I think the Cowboys are contenders. They have too much talent to fail. Honestly if they made a coaching change right now that would provide some authority they'd be alright. Under Phillips, I still think they can make the playoffs. All they need is to get one little win and build off that win. I think that could very well start on Monday against the Giants.

Minnesota Vikings

The Vikes are definitely contenders. The defense is one of the better defenses in the league and will keep them in games. We got arguably the best RB in football in Adrian Peterson and Favre will continue to gel with Moss and Harvin is one of the deadliest slot WR in the game. He may very well be the best not named Welker. And once Rice gets healthy that will provide another aspect to the offense. The North isn't as strong as many expected. Packers aren't healthy and the Bears are too inconsistent. Vikes could easily win.

San Fransisco 49ers

Contenders by default, like Big Sexy said. They very well should win this week against a weak Carolina team and no one seems to want to grab the brass ring in the NFC West and until that one team steps above the rest the Niners could very well be the team in that division. They probably have the most talent of the West teams, they just need to put it together.

Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals are pretenders. Carson Palmer is one of the most overrated QB to take snaps under center. There are probably 15 QB I'd take over Palmer at this point. Their run game is inconsistent and they just lost Odom for 4 games. The offense has the potential to be solid, but they aren't putting it together and the AFC is too strong for them to make a run.

San Diego Chargers

The Bolts are most certainly contenders. They have one of the best offenses in the league and they just seem to be run into bad luck. Much like they do every season, they start slow and will most likely finish strong. Rivers is a top 5 QB and come December the guy doesn't lose. Plus they play in a weak division, the weakest of the AFC and could win it with a 9-7 or 10-6 record.

Cowboys - Pretenders

Freaking mess of a team. Wade Phillips is simply a bad head coach. I'm not sure if you can win anything significant with Tony Romo as your QB. They're pretty talented, but they just don't have what it takes to win games and they're in the toughest division in football.

Vikings - Contenders

I don't love them at all, but the Packers haven't looked good and neither have the Bears. Any offense with AP, Randy Moss, Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice (in a few weeks), and Brett Favre, even though he may be washed up, can make some noise. Don't think they'll go as far as last year, but certainly could be a playoff team.

49ers - Pretenders

They're just shit, that's all there is to it. I know the NFC West is completely awful, but I have no faith in the Niners anymore this year. Alex Smith is god awful and the whole coaching staff just seems to be a mess. Can't see them winning 8 games, which is all it's gonna take to win that division.

Bengals - Pretenders

Pretty sure I said this from the beginning of the season. Carson Palmer is not a good QB and hasn't been for a few years. I don't know why people think otherwise. They can't run the ball anymore and T.Ocho is just going to make things worse. No way they finish anywhere near the Ravens and the Steelers.

Chargers - Pretenders

This is the year they finally fall short after a disappointing start. I think the Cheifs are legit this year. The losses of VJax and McNeil have really hurt them. Rivers is a nutcase, they don't really have a running game. Just an underacheiving team, like always.

I'd like to start off by saying that I believe the 49ers are now pretenders. Yes their division still sucks but at 1-6, coming off a loss to the previously win less Panthers, and losing their starting qb, the Niners are seemingly out of the division hunt. Now on to this weeks version.

Seattle Seahawks- Contenders. At 4-2 and coming off a double digit win over the Cardinals, the Seahawks are now the favorite to win the NFC West. Seattle didn't even play that well this week and still won by 12. The Cardinals and Niners aren't very good and the Rams are way too inconsistent. Seattle has a great combination of veteran leadership and youth, not to mention they now have a legitimate number one running back in Marshawn Lynch. Seattle is undefeated at home and I see them winning 8 or 9 games and returning to the playoffs for the first time since 2007.

Oakland Raiders- This is somewhat of a surprise but at 3-4 the Raiders are very much in the hunt for the AFC West. Jason Campbell seems to be back on track and Run DMC is absolutely tearing apart defenses and now in his third year is looking like the elite running back the Raiders thought he would be when they drafted him 4th overall in 2008. The defense is also looking solid and Oakland still has 2 games left against the division leading Chiefs. The Raiders last three losses have only come by a combined 12 points and the rest of their schedule isn't overly difficult. I'm going to say pretender for now mainly because the Chiefs remaining schedule is ridiculously easy but if the Chiefs falter a little and the Raiders win a couple games they could be in it.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers- It seems like we do them every single week but for the first time I'm actually going to say contender. They play in the weaker of the two conferences and a 9 win team may very well be able to get a wild card spot. The Bucs are very young and are only going to get better and gain more confidence as the year goes on. With games left against Arizona, Carolina, San Fransisco, Detroit, and Seattle, the Bucs are very much in this thing.

I'd like to start off by saying that I believe the 49ers are now pretenders. Yes their division still sucks but at 1-6, coming off a loss to the previously win less Panthers, and losing their starting qb, the Niners are seemingly out of the division hunt.

After Carr's performance, don't expect to hear call for the backup again. Anyways, this team has completely underachieved, and that win against the Raiders. Looks more like a fluke, with the Raiders losing that more than the Niners winning it. Smith or no Smith, you should beat the winless Panthers. Let the coaching/QB search begin.

Seattle Seahawks- Contenders. At 4-2 and coming off a double digit win over the Cardinals, the Seahawks are now the favorite to win the NFC West. Seattle didn't even play that well this week and still won by 12. The Cardinals and Niners aren't very good and the Rams are way too inconsistent. Seattle has a great combination of veteran leadership and youth, not to mention they now have a legitimate number one running back in Marshawn Lynch. Seattle is undefeated at home and I see them winning 8 or 9 games and returning to the playoffs for the first time since 2007.

They have to be considered contenders. The division still sucks, and they seem the team who has it together the most. I like Beast Mode in the backfield, and you're right about their vetern/youth combo they have being a plus. As it stands, they are contenders. Not a great team by any stretch, but in that division good enough.

Oakland Raiders- This is somewhat of a surprise but at 3-4 the Raiders are very much in the hunt for the AFC West. Jason Campbell seems to be back on track and Run DMC is absolutely tearing apart defenses and now in his third year is looking like the elite running back the Raiders thought he would be when they drafted him 4th overall in 2008. The defense is also looking solid and Oakland still has 2 games left against the division leading Chiefs. The Raiders last three losses have only come by a combined 12 points and the rest of their schedule isn't overly difficult. I'm going to say pretender for now mainly because the Chiefs remaining schedule is ridiculously easy but if the Chiefs falter a little and the Raiders win a couple games they could be in it.

I agree again with you and say pretender. They beat up on the Broncos, but I think that had more to do with the Broncos absolutely sucking more than the Raiders being that good. Still, it was an impressive win. The problem is they are too inconsistant. One week they look down right JVish against the 49ers, the next week they're pounding the Broncos face in in Denver. I like Campbell and McFadden, but I need to see more consistancy before I can take them seriously.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers- It seems like we do them every single week but for the first time I'm actually going to say contender. They play in the weaker of the two conferences and a 9 win team may very well be able to get a wild card spot. The Bucs are very young and are only going to get better and gain more confidence as the year goes on. With games left against Arizona, Carolina, San Fransisco, Detroit, and Seattle, the Bucs are very much in this thing.

I like the Bucs, and I have no problem saying they are contenders. The NFC is really down this year, and they are a young team with a great young QB in Freeman. As you mentioned, they have very winnable games left (although the way this season has gone, who knows anymore), and should be in the chase for a wildcard. I also wouldn't rule out the division, with only the Falcons really playing well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back