• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comedian Musicians

Recently, a lot more comedians are resorting to mixing their jokes with music. Whether it be playing piano while delivering one liners or actually making full songs based on jokes, we are seeing more of them.

There are two parts to this thread. First, how do you feel about the rise in comedy music? Second, who are your favorite comedian/musicians?

Personally, I love it. It makes it more interesting and adds a whole new side of comedy. My favorite musician/comedians are Stephen Lynch and Bo Burnham. Lynch is really smart when it comes to his comedy. Also, he is actually a really good singer and overall musician.
[YOUTUBE]gXEkh0D4Dco[/YOUTUBE]
Bo Burnham is not as good of a musician as Lynch. Many of his songs sound the same. But his comedy is just as good. He uses some great puns and isnt that bad of a rapper.
[YOUTUBE]obIGsb-IZMo[/YOUTUBE]

I can't say that I'm very experienced with comedy music in the ways so that I can say I have a favorite, but I have heard some comedy introduced, mainly through rap, which I'm completely fine with, I don't see why comedy shouldn't be allowed to step into just another connection to the world of entertainment.

I guess if I had to link one "group" I would consider entertaining and who is specifically a comedy music act, I would be saying The Lonely Island, comedy rap group, who made songs like this one:

[YOUTUBE]VLnWf1sQkjY[/YOUTUBE]

I have to admit I have never laughed so hard to music in my whole life, they made quite an entertaining impact on me rather fast, and I guess I'd say they're my favorite "comedy musicians" if I really had to choose any.

I have only listened to the main four Lonely Island songs Ferbian but those all seemed good enough. Strangely enough I have heard On a boat played in a club once which has to be one of the first time I have heard a comedy song played thus :)

But yeah my favourite musical comedy act would have to be Flight of the Conchords. Billed as New Zealands fourth most popular guitar-based digi-bongo cappella-rap-funk comedy folk duo, they are fairly widely known since their American TV which is called the same name, or at least they are fairly widely known here.

I really like them becuase not only do they have funny and ridiculous lyrics- they also play in a wide array of musical styles, paying homage comically to different artists such as David Bowie, that and they have some musical skill too.

[YOUTUBE]ZbbxA8a_M_s[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hFjrbmj0CUc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]f4zV4pJ8MwM[/YOUTUBE]

I could literally go on posting song or song after this going through their whole album becuase I love almost all their songs but that would be going over the top a little bit :p

Personally, I love it. It makes it more interesting and adds a whole new side of comedy.

Yeah, I totally agree with you. It gives an alternative way of telling jokes which is quite refreshing. I used to find it pretty boring, having to actually pay attention to the song. But now I think its great and i'm glad it's becoming more popular.

My favourite musical comedian has to be Tim Minchin. I'm not sure if he is known in America but he is fairly famous in Australia and the UK. Smart with the comedy and is a very good pianist.

[YOUTUBE]WLLYO8Hd_sE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]bBUc_kATGgg[/YOUTUBE]
Bill Bailey is another one. He comes from a long line of comics with that quirky humour heavily influenced by Monty Python. He's also great at straight stand-up.

[YOUTUBE]js4GepPNQro[/YOUTUBE]

I Love Comedic music. IMO it has been the best thing to start popping up. One of the best songs to me are in fact those of the lonely island. on of my favorites would have to be
[YOUTUBE]8yvEYKRF5IA[/YOUTUBE]
And
[YOUTUBE]S-JBMS8gD3M[/YOUTUBE]
Yeah the video is backwards. It is due to copyrights rule on youtube.

Stephen Lynch is the absolute master of comedy songs. I have seen his 3 times when he has visited Scotland and he has been fantastic on all three occasions.

I started listening to Stephen Lynch about 5 or 6 years ago. By chance, I typed "comedy songs" into Limewire and "Baby" by Stephen Lynch was the first song that popped up. After I downloaded it, I listened to it over and over again until I knew all of the words. I then made it my mission to go and find every single piece of music that he has ever made and have loved every moment of it. I saw him last year and it was the biggest audience I have seen him perform to in Scotland. I have no idea how his popularity is going in the United States but he is growing increasing popular here, even if it is at a slow pace.

That is a little too obvious though and I want to list someone else. Lee Evans is one of the funniest comedians on the circuit and is also a very talented musician. Like Billy Connelly, Lee Evans cut his teeth as a musician first and then moved into stand-up comedy. His songs and musical performances at the end of his stand-up shoes have been utterly brilliant. "3 Second Memory" and "Life Is A Piece Of Shit" are fantastic efforts and two songs that I really adore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back