• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cody/Stardust

OldSchoolWrestlingFan

Pre-Show Stalwart
I was watching Stardust getting interviewed prior to Wrestlemania 31 & I set in awe. Cody stayed in character the entire time & didn't break even for a moment. I caught myself laughing, scratching my head confused & waiting to hear what he would say next - he actually reminded me lot of his father.

With all of that said my question is.....IS THERE STILL HOPE FOR THE STARDUST CHARACTER OR SHOULD CODY RETURN? IF HE DID RETURN WOULD YOU BRING BACK DASHING CODY OR WHAT? SHOULD HE DO SOMETHING SIMILAR TO ABYSS & PLAY LIKE A MULTIPLE PERSONALITY THING?!

I look forward to the discussion.

Personally I don't care for Stardust and think it's time for Cody to return. It doesn't need to happen suddenly. They can draw it out and work it into a story somehow. Maybe culminating between a match of Goldy vs Stardust that brings Cody back into play. Though their last match was bad, I think this feud still has potential. It's not a Mania feud but maybe one that can culminate at Summerslam or some other PPV.

This will probably be an unpopular response, but I think Cody's chance to be relevant has run out in WWE. Between Legacy, the "Dashing", and Stardust gimmicks, he has had different opportunities to get "over", and has yet to do so. He had a great physical look at one point, but seemed to lose quite a bit of his definition as time went by; that was his "money maker". In my opinion, Cody seems like another one of the young talents who just can't break through to that next level of success. That being said, he will keep his spot in the midcard for the foreseeable future due to his father working down in developmental. I remember when Cody and Ted DiBiase Jr. came on the scene, and the sky was the limit for the duo. Now, we're left with a cheap imitation of Goldust, and a performer who just goes through the motions. I truly do hope that I am proved wrong, because I do feel that there is untapped potential in Cody.

In my opinion, Cody has been "over" in each of his different versions. It's just been that the rug has been pulled out from under him each time. Whether that's because WWE just doesn't know how to use him, or someone in management doesn't want him to succeed at the next level. The Stardust character was getting "over", then they turned him heel. Now he gets the "Cody" chants every single time, which to me says the crowds want to get under his skin, and bring him back to reality.

His match with Goldust, I thought the two were holding back because it was leading to Wrestlemania. They dropped the story, which was a mistake in my opinion. But I think if they put faith in Cody, he would definitely deliver.

This will probably be an unpopular response, but I think Cody's chance to be relevant has run out in WWE.

It makes sense; the guy has had so many chances, so many different programs....and the problem with all of them is that they relied on Cody's own personality......which is far too bland and uninspiring to bring him everlasting success.

Ironically, the Stardust gimmick gives him the best chance of staying relevant....because he's playing a character other than his real self. Funny, isn't it? Usually, people point to your greatest chance of success coming by "being yourself".....and I'm saying the exact opposite for Cody Rhodes.

I'd stick with Stardust. Cody's doing a good job with it and he's still got that good work ethic in the ring. But he's taking the role and making it his own, doing things Goldust never did, like posing for the fans while standing on the barrier outside the ring.

Pro wrestling can always use a few weirdo gimmicks, and this is something Cody can stay with.

Cody the best actor on the roster and gets everything over. It doesn't matter whether he's Stardust or Cody Rhodes if they don't see value he won't make it. He, like Dolph, has been with WWE since 2005-2006 and they still haven't found main event value and that's sad, these guys are over due primarily to their own talent.

Cody has suffered from the constant stop-start booking that has become the trademark of WWE.

I dont see how anyone can watch the promos he does and thinks he isn't the talent I believe him to be.

When I look at all the different iterations of Cody Runnels:

- Rookie Cody
- Legacy Cody with Orton tag teaming with DiBiase Jr.
- Legacy Cody solo tag teaming with DiBiase Jr.
- Hideous Cody obsessed with masks
- Dashing Cody Rhodes
- Cody tag teaming with Sandow
- Cody vs. Sandow
- Cody teaming with Dusty and Goldust fighting for family honor
- Stardust tag teaming with Goldust
- Stardust solo

I find the most promising versions to be the ones where he was part of a tag team. I know he's had some singles pushes but to me he was at his best when he was with DiBiase, Sandow and Goldust (to my surprise). But because he is a tag team fit in an era where tag teams are crapped on and not important, he is subject to storylines being yanked and pushes going away, etc.

We've heard a million times now they are going to upgrade and make the tag team division important. If they really do that this time, I'd give him some time off, put the Stardust thing to rest, bring back Cody, re-team him with Sandow (who should be done with his Miz program by then) and make them a face tag team.

Stardust is the best character Cody ever had. The gimmick should not go away. None of his personas had a chance of making it anywhere past the Intercontinental Championship anyway, especially in today's WWE where there is only one World Championship. Dashing Cody, while funny, would never be taken seriously above the midcard. Disfigured Cody, I know I'm in the minority here but I found it incredibly annoying and hope it never comes back. Stardust may be strange, but it has better potential at success than either of the older two gimmicks or the boring version of Cody where he was just himself. I do like the alternate personalities idea from the opening post, however. Shifting from Stardust, to Dashing, to Disfigured, to himself, and rotating between his personas. It wouldn't work as well as it did for Foley, but it would be cool to see someone in this generation try it out. If I had to pick one though it's Stardust easily because by far the most entertaining one of the gimmicks Cody has had.

I was watching Stardust getting interviewed prior to Wrestlemania 31 & I set in awe. Cody stayed in character the entire time & didn't break even for a moment. I caught myself laughing, scratching my head confused & waiting to hear what he would say next - he actually reminded me lot of his father.

With all of that said my question is.....IS THERE STILL HOPE FOR THE STARDUST CHARACTER OR SHOULD CODY RETURN? IF HE DID RETURN WOULD YOU BRING BACK DASHING CODY OR WHAT? SHOULD HE DO SOMETHING SIMILAR TO ABYSS & PLAY LIKE A MULTIPLE PERSONALITY THING?!

I look forward to the discussion.

I think the Cody character will come back at one point. This Stardust gimmick is bound to get stale. I just hope they got a long term plan if they turn him back into Cody.

Cody has been in the company for years now and he's had multiple gimmicks, but a lot of people have. What Barrett shouldn't get a push anymore because he's had multiple gimmicks?

Cody is only 29 years old, he's been in the company since 2007 and he's still that young. If they still had 2 world titles, Rhodes would win one in a few more years.

Anyway, Cody should return soon. Stardust is a midcard gimmick just like Goldust has been for 20 years, Stardust needs to go away. Cody needs a killer gimmick and an actual attempt at getting over. Dashing Cody Rhodes could have gotten over big time but again, not a big enough gimmick to get him main event over. He'll need some amazing gimmick but if anyone deserves it he does. 8 years, 6 time tag champ and 3 time IC champ, throw him a bone

I don't think the Stardust gimmick has a chance to make it further than he already has. They may give him another run at the midcard strap before too long, but I don't see anything further than that. If you look at the main event players, none of them have a weird gimmick or persona. The problem with Cody going back to his normal self is nothing about him is intriguing or different than the average Superstar. He's slightly above average on the mic and he's been labeled a good worker by the brass so that spells mid card mediocrity (see Dolph Ziggler, Cesaro). In the end, I see him nothing higher than a mid card level, maybe upper mid card superstar.

Cody is a smart kid... he knows now that Cody Rhodes, good as he can be isn't going to cut it... He's not gonna be World Champion under his own "name" or close to it.

He's watched his brother for 20 years in just a few short months and how he was in the same position in WCW... mid card at best, never living up to the family name. and Dustin actually stepped outside and forged something.

Whether you feel Goldust is more valuable than Duthy was in terms of titles... in terms of longevity and money earned he IS.. Goldust has earned more in his career than his father ever did and that is a grim reality within that family. Cody had a choice, adapt or "die" in terms of the business.

So he noticed the opportunity, Dustin is retired bar the shouting, good as he is still he's too old to carry on...so there is a gap in the WWE market, cos Kane, Taker, Goldust all those storied "characters" will be gone soon. So he came up with Stardust, the natural replacement to Goldust.

Make no mistake, Cody as himself bombs now, gets released etc... Stardust? He can sell merch, be around like Goldust was for years to come, not as a main eventer, but as a solid mid/upper midcarder as needed. 20 years on WWE money is worth more than 1 year as a transitional champ... Cody knows it, he's seen it... so why would he "need a bone?" he worked it out for himself... Fill the gap left by all these vets including your own bro and you can fill it for as long as they did if you're good at it and can see past the shiny belt thing that Rollins has...and he is VERY good at that character... Stardust could be around as a Tag Champ/IC/US champ like Goldust was for years... Cody? 3-4 years at best and he's gone... not to say he won't have "spells" as Cody... but really look at it coldly... if you could chose, be WWE champion for a few months, once... or 10+ years (and he is getting near that time ALREADY) with 10 more under a "gimmick", which are you gonna take? If you take the title, you're dumb as fuck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back