Cody Rhodes Achieves Something Of A Milestone

he needs to feud with Kofi. I know he's on RAW, but it seems like the perfect way to get some added prestige, a push for Kofi, and even a pretty decent storyline with some good matches out of it.

This s a great achievement for Cody. He has had the best Intercontinental Championship reign in years. I can see Rhodes holding the title past Wrestlemania, honestly. He should put it up for grabs at the biggest show of the year, retain there, and then win a couple of more feuds before he will be ready to move up the card. Bringing back the original design and having strong defenses has made this a memorable reign. Like others have said, it has been good for both Rhodes and the belt. I'd argue it is the best reign since Orton when he was in Evolution because they have done such a good job at making the belt seem important again, AND using it to elevate Cody. That's how midcard titles should be used in the first place.

If Rhodes holds the belt past Wrestlemania and for another PPV or two, then he will have held it for 250+ days. He's slowly climbing up the list of most days holding the title, whether that be for individual reigns or combined reigns. I doubt he, or anyone for that matter, will ever reach Honky Tonk Man's record, but Rhodes may be the closest we see anyone get for a while. WWE should consider keeping him champion a bit longer, then build up someone like Ted to take the belt off him so he can move on to bigger and better things once it's time for this great reign to end.

I think it would be cool if they will keep belt on him long enough to threaten the Honky Tonk's record, not sure what time of year that would be but then it would become his main focus. He becomes guarded and paranoid about losing the title, worried someone will steal it. Rather than walking with the belt around his waist he clutches it in his arms, he becomes obsessed with the date where he would overtake Tonk. Every time he is in the ring he counts down the days, this could lead into a fued with someone who wants the title.

Unlikely to happen, might be rubbish if it did but never mind.

It's a good achievement but there is no prestige in the belt at the moment.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't defended at Wrestlemania

I firmly think Cody will hold the IC title for a very long time if not until this time next year. I mean with Sheamus, DB, Orton, Wade Barret in the ME on Smackdown I doubt Cody will get a touch of gold till WM 29 so I can see him keeping the IC title making it more and more his own till its to a point that everyone will acknowledged he is going after the longest record which I think he fall maybe a day or 2 short but get the WHC in return.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't defended at Wrestlemania

Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't defended at WrestleMania? I'd be shocked if it was defended at mania. In the past nine manias the IC title has been defended once. That match lasted about twenty seconds. Before the attitude era the IC title was always defended at mania (except WM12) and it was always one of the biggest matches on the card. If Cody defended the title in a big match at mania it would help his reign but that is not likely to happen.

Simple question for those who think Cody has had a great reign; if he lost the title tonight do you think he would be remembered as good of an IC champ as Perfect, Michales, Hart, Razor, Savage, etc.? I'm not asking that to prove a point. I'd be curious to hear the answer. Maybe my age is clouding my judgment and I'm showing a bias toward the champions of my youth. I just don't see Cody's reign being at the same level as those that I've mentioned.

I think Cody has had the best IC run in the last 3-4 years. No, he hasn’t consistently defended the title but he’s been featured prominently on WWE television with the title around his waist and he’s been built into a credible superstar whilst holding which bodes very well for him. Remember Shelton Benjamins reign as US champ back in 08/09? He held that title from July 2008 to March 2009 and defended it maybe 3 times and had no promos or anything resembling a build. That was the epitome of a wasted long championship reign. Cody’s reign has been much more impressive. He could certainly defend it more but I think having been featured prominently on Smackdown and Raw and having a strong Rumble showing coupled with his elimination of Big Show at the EC and his short feud with Booker he’s done very well and bringing back the classic belt also brought some attention to it. I think it’s been a very successful IC title run and he’s brought some relevance back to it while the title has also added another layer to the character that Cody plays.

Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't defended at WrestleMania? I'd be shocked if it was defended at mania. In the past nine manias the IC title has been defended once. That match lasted about twenty seconds. Before the attitude era the IC title was always defended at mania (except WM12) and it was always one of the biggest matches on the card. If Cody defended the title in a big match at mania it would help his reign but that is not likely to happen.

Simple question for those who think Cody has had a great reign; if he lost the title tonight do you think he would be remembered as good of an IC champ as Perfect, Michales, Hart, Razor, Savage, etc.? I'm not asking that to prove a point. I'd be curious to hear the answer. Maybe my age is clouding my judgment and I'm showing a bias toward the champions of my youth. I just don't see Cody's reign being at the same level as those that I've mentioned.

You are correct sir. Cody's reign has been unimpressive to say the least because he never defends the title. Back in the day the IC Champ was the "workhorse" and would defend all the time, way more often then the WWF Champ, which contributed to the awesome IC title reigns of guys like Savage, Perfect, Hart, Michaels, Razor, etc. I'm not sure why the WWE can't figure out how to build up a PPV level IC title fued, but I don't understand a lot of things about the "E" these days. It's ridiculous that the IC Title has only been defended once at the last 9 WrestleManias. Totally ridiculous. Long impressive reigns with the IC title should be an ideal springboard for talented midcarders to attain main event status.

Just think of this.

Scenario 1, Cody comes out with the title, has a bunch of matches vs jobber, beats them a lot, and has 1 semi hot feud, even defends the title on PPV against jobbers.

Scenario 2, Cody comes out talking about much the belt means to him, changes the belt to show the prestige, talks about how he's good enough to be a dual champion, always proudly wears the belt, but might not always defend the belt, but he talks about how awesome he is because he has it.

Scenario 1 is how things were done in the 80s and early 90s, boring as shit too. There were jobber matches at Wrestlemanias (seriously).

I can't figure out why most of you can't figure out emotion or story or motive. It's basic storytelling and character shit. Times change, people know it's fake so the titles, at least the midcard titles which basically signify "MIDCARD" don't mean as much to the fans. It wasn't like Vince said "you know what, fuck the IC title".

You are correct sir. Cody's reign has been unimpressive to say the least because he never defends the title. Back in the day the IC Champ was the "workhorse" and would defend all the time, way more often then the WWF Champ, which contributed to the awesome IC title reigns of guys like Savage, Perfect, Hart, Michaels, Razor, etc. I'm not sure why the WWE can't figure out how to build up a PPV level IC title fued, but I don't understand a lot of things about the "E" these days. It's ridiculous that the IC Title has only been defended once at the last 9 WrestleManias. Totally ridiculous. Long impressive reigns with the IC title should be an ideal springboard for talented midcarders to attain main event status.
Too bad long reigns don't mean anything. Seriously, just because a guy has a belt forever and beats a bunch of people doesn't mean they'll get over. You need to be INTERESTING. People don't think "wow he won, he's good" they say "who is bland fuck that Cody Rhodes is wrestling? How boring is this?" Destorying jobbers doesn't really get you over anymore. You have to be interesting. Making a guy interesting is the idea springboard.

It's weird, it's like most of you would book like it's 1985 or something.

Just think of this.

Scenario 1, Cody comes out with the title, has a bunch of matches vs jobber, beats them a lot, and has 1 semi hot feud, even defends the title on PPV against jobbers.

Scenario 2, Cody comes out talking about much the belt means to him, changes the belt to show the prestige, talks about how he's good enough to be a dual champion, always proudly wears the belt, but might not always defend the belt, but he talks about how awesome he is because he has it.

Scenario 1 is how things were done in the 80s and early 90s, boring as shit too. There were jobber matches at Wrestlemanias (seriously).

I can't figure out why most of you can't figure out emotion or story or motive. It's basic storytelling and character shit. Times change, people know it's fake so the titles, at least the midcard titles which basically signify "MIDCARD" don't mean as much to the fans. It wasn't like Vince said "you know what, fuck the IC title".

There has never been a jobber match for the IC title at WrestleMania. Ever. I don't know where you're getting that from because it's not even close to the truth.

The problem I have with Cody's reign is that no one else seems to want to be champion. Why isn't anyone else targeting that title? Why was it not even mentioned during his feud with Orton? Why hadn't Booker even made up his mind about a full time comeback while feuding with the champ? Why has the title been an afterthought?

Too bad long reigns don't mean anything. Seriously, just because a guy has a belt forever and beats a bunch of people doesn't mean they'll get over. You need to be INTERESTING. People don't think "wow he won, he's good" they say "who is bland fuck that Cody Rhodes is wrestling? How boring is this?" Destorying jobbers doesn't really get you over anymore. You have to be interesting. Making a guy interesting is the idea springboard.

It's weird, it's like most of you would book like it's 1985 or something.

Yeah, they don't mean anything these days because the title never gets defended. What's interesting about carrying a belt around as a prop and never defending it?

And who said anything about defending against jobbers? The IC Title used to be defended against other "Superstars" (not jobbers) all the time. Now it's never defended, which is a big reason why the title doesn't have much prestige and value anymore.

It's weird, anything the WWE does these days, PG era marks like you defend it. Are you on the payroll? :lmao:

Just think of this.

Classic false dichotomy there (look it up if you don't know what that means). Why can you not be "interesting", and ALSO defend the belt in great matches and feuds? That makes things even MORE interesting. And that's the difference between Rhodes' IC title reign versus the guys I mentioned (Michaels, Hart, Savage, etc.).

I get the feeling WWE is setting up Cody Rhodes to beat Honky Tonk's record. It would make sense to let a future main eventer like Rhodes have that record, so he can use it in promos for the next 10 years.

Someone mentioned earlier about the lack of quality of Rhodes' opponents. Wikipedia says Rhodes won the title off of Zeke, beat DiBiase, beat Sheamus, cut his famous title prestige promo, beat John Morrison and beat Booker T. Sure he's gone long stretches without defending the title (four title defenses in 6 months), but he has gone up against quality opponents.

Btw, he should be in position to break Honky Tonk's record by Survivor Series time - if he still has the title. I hope the bookers make an angle out of Cody's quest to break the record.

I get the feeling WWE is setting up Cody Rhodes to beat Honky Tonk's record. It would make sense to let a future main eventer like Rhodes have that record, so he can use it in promos for the next 10 years.

Someone mentioned earlier about the lack of quality of Rhodes' opponents. Wikipedia says Rhodes won the title off of Zeke, beat DiBiase, beat Sheamus, cut his famous title prestige promo, beat John Morrison and beat Booker T. Sure he's gone long stretches without defending the title (four title defenses in 6 months), but he has gone up against quality opponents.

Btw, he should be in position to break Honky Tonk's record by Survivor Series time - if he still has the title. I hope the bookers make an angle out of Cody's quest to break the record.

I think he'd break it on a RAW leading up to Survivor Series so it's definitely worth doing especially with a guy who's done imo a great job with the title and brought it back to relevance. People like to compare Rhodes to the 80s and 90s guys but there's a problem: Rhodes just doesn't have many comparable opponents in the midcard. That's where everyone's looking. However, what Cody Rhodes has done is while getting pushed, because he has that title, he's starting to bring more and more potential opponents foward. Not only from the midcard but the upper-midcard. At the minute he seems to be going into a feud with Big Show; a man who spent the last 4 or 5 months in the world title picture. Sure he could defend the title more, but I'd prefer a few less defenses of the title but against upper midcarders rather than tons against lower midcarders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back