CM Punk's move-set choices

Boondocks

Wrestling pro with JC Epick someday
So, I was reading a thread having to do with CM Punk's character, and somewhere in there, his move-set got mentioned, so I was hoping I could make a successful thread to discuss some things about his moves.

1) How many people actually think it's worth watching just to watch his current WWE move-set of kicks and various leg-scissors? I, personally, am sick of just seeing that.

2) Should Punk use more of his indy moves to add more unpredictability and make his move-set to where he can have a good, 15 minute match without half of it being one or two subissions? I've seen some of his indy moves, and would love to see him pull those out of nowhere in a match.

3) Bring back a more common use of the Anaconda Vise? I believe that in my watching of Punk (pretty much every match) since this heel turn, I haven't really seen the Vise, besides in the screwjob match with 'Taker.

**If it's not a great thread or its been posted already, please forgive, I'm quite new to forums.**

Have at it!

I think I may have been one of the people to bring this up in the Is Punk better as a heel/face? thread haha

Personally, I think he should bring back some indy moves, and the anaconda vice. Hell, punk doesnt even use his backbreaker (Welcome to Chicago Mother Fucker) that often anymore. I'd mark out if I saw the devil lock ddt, .45 Special, corckscrew blockbuster, or Pepsi Twist (which he has done since coming to WWE, but I only recall the DLDDT and Pepsi Twist and both were used against Morrison back in ECW). Even bring back the Shining Wizard, Helms isn't around ot use it and no one else has claimed it. I love some of Punks combos and the shining wizard bulldog (even thats becoming rare), but his moveset needs to be revitalized. Obviously the Pepsi Plunge is NEVER going to be seen in WWE, but if Punk used some other Indy moves, he'd be a dangerous heel, and not just a talker like he is now. Granted, I don't see the E letting Punk use all of the moves I listed, since his moveset would outshine the entire roster, but maybe with Brian Danielson wandering the lockerroom there will be a revival in technical and submission wrestling so Punk can really work to his potential. Just my thoughts.

CM Punk is just fine the way he is.
and if youre calling him boring, you obviously havent seen him wrestle since he turned heel at all. especially in his fued with rey mysterio.
there is a reason he eliminated those moves from his set. because they are crowd pleasers, people will want to cheer for the flashy moves like the pepsi plunge. and he is a heel. so it is anti-climatic for him
he just has a heel moveset, which completely works for him because he still keeps matches exciting

Honestly they really shouldn't have him eliminate those moves. I know it's entertainment but it's still wrestling. You don't see Jericho getting rid of the Walls of Jericho or Batista getting rid of any of his sig moves.

1) How many people actually think it's worth watching just to watch his current WWE move-set of kicks and various leg-scissors? I, personally, am sick of just seeing that.

I'm perfectly fine with his current in-ring wrestling, while he did more and was more technical during his ECW days and his ROH days, I still believe that CM Punk is one of the few to pull out a great match on a regular basic, even with the "limited" move-set he presents.

2) Should Punk use more of his indy moves to add more unpredictability and make his move-set to where he can have a good, 15 minute match without half of it being one or two subissions? I've seen some of his indy moves, and would love to see him pull those out of nowhere in a match.

No need to add those moves, but I won't complain if he does, again, he's doing just fine putting on amazing matches already, he uses some submissions that we don't see too much, especially the submission hold he's been using (forgot the name of it) where he's on the mat with (Rey in this particular sense, due to him being put in it the most) on top of his knees, creating a backbreaking submission hold.

3) Bring back a more common use of the Anaconda Vise? I believe that in my watching of Punk (pretty much every match) since this heel turn, I haven't really seen the Vise, besides in the screwjob match with 'Taker.

The Anaconda Vise should definitely be reintroduced somewhat, use sometimes, but not too often, perhaps something in the direction of John Cena using the STFU, but then again not so often that it's a regular finisher, because I prefer the GTS.

His move-set is fine. He seems to have combined familiar moves into a repertoire that's his own; he's recognized for it and it works for him.

The problem is that damn finisher of his...... the day he fractures someone's nose or dislocates the orbital socket of their eye, we'll see it no more. I find it hard to believe the company allows it because he has no real control over where his knee is going to land.

The problem is that damn finisher of his...... the day he fractures someone's nose or dislocates the orbital socket of their eye, we'll see it no more. I find it hard to believe the company allows it because he has no real control over where his knee is going to land.
He already broke someone's nose with it. He broke Snitsky's on RAW one night. Plus the move is all up to the opponet taking it. Punk lifts then then throws up his knee. Look at how Morrison sells it. He takes it like a killshot but has never been hurt by it. Same with Mysterio. If someone gets hurt taking it it's their own damn fault and not Punk's. Simple as that. Same with pretty much anyone's move, the main wrestler does the move, the guy taking it has to know how to land/how to block or it can hurt him.

As for the main point of the topic I agree that some of his moves he stopped using since he is a heel although I'd like to see him start using the Devil Lock DDT, Running Knee Bulldog & Welcome To Chivago more often as they are great moves

I don't have a problem with his move-set, he is a great wrestler, his finisher says it all, he puts people to sleep..

I have one thing, he could use his submission hold more, i mean they started building it again towards breaking point, but after that it just went down the toilet again..It could be the deadliest submission hold in the wwe now..

I personally think that is a big part in Cm Punk's character. I love his kicks and the way he does it, as it just adds style. I mean....a lot of superstars don't use those kinda kicks anymore, I think the last person who did that was Umaga...and he's dead. Punk's kicks are a huge part of his gimmick, as he claims he is better, and unique, considering a lot of people don't use that kinda move-set, that would make him unique.

As for the Anaconda Vise. yes. Punk doesn't use that many more submission moves, and unless the bring it back, the only way we are going to see it is in a submission match. Cm Punk without doubt, needs at least one signature submission move, and get wins in matches every one in awhile, as a superstar just seems bland without it.

He already broke someone's nose with it. He broke Snitsky's on RAW one night. Plus the move is all up to the opponet taking it. Punk lifts then then throws up his knee. Look at how Morrison sells it. He takes it like a killshot but has never been hurt by it. Same with Mysterio. If someone gets hurt taking it it's their own damn fault and not Punk's. Simple as that. Same with pretty much anyone's move, the main wrestler does the move, the guy taking it has to know how to land/how to block or it can hurt him.

As for the main point of the topic I agree that some of his moves he stopped using since he is a heel although I'd like to see him start using the Devil Lock DDT, Running Knee Bulldog & Welcome To Chivago more often as they are great moves

He did all but break Mysterio's nose.

[YOUTUBE]Bs6qULnJFHI[/YOUTUBE]
See?

I do, however, throughly enjoy CM Punks move set. He has some nice kicks and combinations however I would like to see the front hand, back hand, and head kick combo more. I found that to be a visually nice combination that also had a realistic factor. It referenced his Muay-Thai background and was an appropriate set up for his finishing maneuver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back