• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk's DVD

I don't know a lot about the history of CM Punk from before he came to ROH, so it definitely sounds like something that will be interesting enough to learn.

I'll try to check it out, but I can't promise I'll but it on the spot if I see it in stores.

Watching the DVD now. Planned on only catching half an hour or so of the documentary before getting some much needed sleep. Much like DMan, I have been stuck and just can't turn it off. Only commenting here because I wanted to see whats others have said. Definitely a good DVD.

.....Is very whiney and Jaded. Almost felt like an old school kayfabe dvd.

"Zommmggg they stuck me on ecw bc they didnt want meeee"

Or they put you on a show targeted at an audience they knew you would immeadiately be over with, were you could go on a long undefeated streak and crush everyone?

"waaaaahhh they booked my two title reigns sooo weaklyyyy"

I mean. Do I fucking even need to say anything? I bet lots of people wish they could be handed that within two or three years of entering the WWE

The SES I agree with. They fucked that up fucking royally. But they fuck stuff up all the fucking time, it aint just Punk.

and finally, they let you talk about material NO ONE else gets to talk about, and gave you a year long title reign.

Whole lot of crying and whining about being such a held down underdog with one of the hugest amounts of push ever in the WWE. Motherfucker, please.

Coming from someone who names Punk in his fave five, dawg
See, now there's a fair complaint. Because Punk is a self-involved prick with a persecution complex. That's on the money.

Punk definitely complained about things that don't deserve to get complained about. Points definitely taken there.

But it's really great to see a story about a guy who's family shit all over him, yet he rose from the ashes and motivated himself to be the greatest wrestler that ever lived. And if that DVD is true-to-life, it's pretty cool how he wasn't scripted with half the stuff he used on TV. However, I'm having trouble believing the fact that he had that much control over his character.

And if that DVD is true-to-life, it's pretty cool how he wasn't scripted with half the stuff he used on TV. However, I'm having trouble believing the fact that he had that much control over his character.

and how he knows how to time-out and build a show. I hope it all is true, he will make a great addition to the behind the scenes staff someday if it all is.

The Punk documentary is one of the better ones that WWE have produced. It's not a mind-blowing masterpiece, but it covers all the bases of Punk's personal life prior to wrestling, his roots in the indies and a lot of time about him within WWE. There is a lot about Punk complaining - being put in developmental, his two title reigns not being booked to his liking, not being the main event, etc. Most of the time he seems to have a legitimate gripe, but cumulatively it gets a bit tiresome. I know he's trying to show that he's an underdog that's fought past obstacles, but its hard giving someone with Punk's attitude too much sympathy.

Still, it was extremely interesting to see his rise to fame. I found his pre-WWE days more interesting than his mid-card feuds within WWE, but all in all, its a good DVD to watch. If you're a Punk fan, it's a must purchase. Otherwise, its something to watch when the price drops or on Netflix / download.

In opposite news...I turned on the Undie documentary of his new DVD now that it is on Netflix...and I fell asleep within minutes.

and how he knows how to time-out and build a show. I hope it all is true, he will make a great addition to the behind the scenes staff someday if it all is.

He's so versatile that he can do a lot more than that. Commentating, managing, being a road agent, etc.

Punk definitely complained about things that don't deserve to get complained about. Points definitely taken there.

But it's really great to see a story about a guy who's family shit all over him, yet he rose from the ashes and motivated himself to be the greatest wrestler that ever lived. And if that DVD is true-to-life, it's pretty cool how he wasn't scripted with half the stuff he used on TV. However, I'm having trouble believing the fact that he had that much control over his character.

Ok, lets not get carried away here, "One of the best wreslter's working today" may be a better way of wording that.

Finally got around to watching this and I don’t think it’s much different than any other wrestler’s documentary. That’s not to say I didn’t enjoy it. It was just nothing out of the ordinary.

.....Is very whiney and Jaded. Almost felt like an old school kayfabe dvd.

"Zommmggg they stuck me on ecw bc they didnt want meeee"

Or they put you on a show targeted at an audience they knew you would immeadiately be over with, were you could go on a long undefeated streak and crush everyone?

"waaaaahhh they booked my two title reigns sooo weaklyyyy"

I mean. Do I fucking even need to say anything? I bet lots of people wish they could be handed that within two or three years of entering the WWE

The SES I agree with. They fucked that up fucking royally. But they fuck stuff up all the fucking time, it aint just Punk.

and finally, they let you talk about material NO ONE else gets to talk about, and gave you a year long title reign.

Whole lot of crying and whining about being such a held down underdog with one of the hugest amounts of push ever in the WWE. Motherfucker, please.

Coming from someone who names Punk in his fave five, dawg

I am in complete agreement with this. Punk’s biggest complaint seemed to be he wasn’t an instant mega star. Everybody worked their way up through the territories or independents. Why should Punk have been an overnight star as opposed to anyone else who has ever worked their way to WWE? I’m also pretty tired of the old story where a guy who doesn’t have the look overcomes the odds. We’ve seen this show before. Michaels, Foley, Jericho, Benoit, etc. How many times do we have to hear a story about a guy that doesn’t have the look succeeding before we realize maybe that’s not such an impossible obstacle to overcome these days?

Why was WrestleMania 22 not mentioned at all? CM Punk appears on WWE for the first time at WrestleMania in his hometown as an unknown Cena lackey and years later defeats Cena in the same building for the title in the climax of the dvd. Thought it was worth a mention.

I have a feeling Punk exaggerates his backyard fame. I’d like to see the backyard that was able to fit a ring and 1,000 people.

Did Punk’s famous promo really change wrestling? At all? Punk says he wants to change things. What exactly is he looking to change? John Cena was right when he said the only thing Punk meant by that promo was make CM Punk a star. I don't dislike Punk. I just don't see him as some kind of noble hero that has the best interests of the fans in his heart. He's just a guy that wants to be on top.

Why was WrestleMania 22 not mentioned at all? CM Punk appears on WWE for the first time at WrestleMania in his hometown as an unknown Cena lackey and years later defeats Cena in the same building for the title in the climax of the dvd. Thought it was worth a mention.
Check the bonus features, sir.

It left me torn on Punk.
He talks about how he never fit in anywhere yet his best friend's family accepted them as on of their own and he had his friends that were fellow wrestlers in their backyard federation. His friend's sister even mentioned that it was a big deal in the high school about the wrestling shows they put on. So he fit in with the wrestling crowd. If they really were drawing 900-1,000 people that's a pretty big deal.
If it's true that his family treated him that badly then I do feel for him. I had a friend who my mom pretty much raised because his mom was an alcoholic and didn't give him attention. So I can understand how that would be hard.

If true then I respect that he put the time in to learn the ins and outs of the business. That is pretty rare for wrestlers to do. I like that he admitted he wasn't as good as he thought he was when he got to wrestle Eddie.

I respect what he did for Joey Mercury.

I also like that it wasn't just full of people saying he's this great guy like a lot of other dvds do. People were honest and Punk himself was honest that he isn't the easiest guy to get along with.

It was a pretty good dvd in all.

Did Punk’s famous promo really change wrestling? At all? Punk says he wants to change things. What exactly is he looking to change? John Cena was right when he said the only thing Punk meant by that promo was make CM Punk a star. I don't dislike Punk. I just don't see him as some kind of noble hero that has the best interests of the fans in his heart. He's just a guy that wants to be on top.

I credit this more to bad booking and the changing dynamic between Triple H & Vince backstage. Granted we don't know too much about what's going on, but I highly doubt Vince wanted Kevin Nash involved with his number one guy.

Punk's "Voice of the Voiceless" face persona was one of the biggest lost opportunities for WWE ever. They got more out of Ric Flair than they did out of face Punk IMO. At least Flair headlined WM against Macho Man, Punk's WM match is the fight with Jericho with the screwy pre-match stipulation that nobody will remember from the card (after Rock-Cena, Taker-HHH, Sheamus-Daniel Bryan).

Its fair to judge that he doesn't have the fan's best interests in mind, but I don't think its fair to say that its Punk's fault that his promo didn't lead to something big. The potential to be this generation's Sammartino / Hogan / Austin was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back