• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk's DVD - I Watched It

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
Was expecting Whingefest 2012 from the reactions I was getting; got something else entirely. Some things seem to have been exaggerated, other things seem to have never occurred at all. For example, people were saying Punk was complaining about being put on ECW. He wasn't. At all. In fact, he seems quite excited to have been a part of Paul Heyman's new ECW - Paul Heyman seemingly being the only man in the company at the time to see something in him. When Paul left/was fired, Punk thought his days were numbered. Punk doesn't even complain about being in OVW. Other people briefly make mention of it being beneath him, but Punk himself talks about what a valuable experience it was. Up until he becomes world champion for the first time, Punk talks about how fortunate he was to be accomplishing each milestone:

"If I got fired tomorrow, well, at least I did this."

Of the things he does complain about, I'd say he was largely justified. It was a slap in the face to have his first title reign end in him getting written off a pay-per-view. He did build up a lot of momentum with his Jeff Hardy feud which was thrown into a brick wall when he fought The Undertaker. The Straight Edge Society could have been bigger than it was and maybe shouldn't have disbanded so prematurely and unceremoniously. The Miz isn't nearly as good a bad guy as Punk.

Overall, Punk comes over as a pretty likeable guy. I know some people dislike him because, gee golly wiz, he doesn't like being bothered for an autograph when he's taking a piss, but there's about a dozen people on this fucking thing that describe Punk as their best friend. Joey Mercury was about to lose his house and Punk bought it for him, for pity's sake. Just because Punk doesn't spread his cheeks for every fan who approaches him on the street, doesn't make him a bad guy.

The documentary is even pretty balanced. Every time you have Punk or one of his mates saying, "Oh, the title should have been the main event. They should have realised what they had", you have Triple H or Cena or Michael Hayes going, "Yeah, he was good, but he wasn't that special. The man makes the title rather than the other way around."

I was pleasantly surprised to see Punk's time in IWA, ROH and, erm, his back yard dipped into with any depth. There is no fucking way some backyard fed was drawing a thousand people though. No fucking way. A few hundred I could buy - maybe. A thousand? The fuck.

And those are my stream of consciousness thoughts.

Good to hear. I've always hoped he isn't half the whiner backstage that he is on screen. I trust your judgement, Samuel.

#trustinSam

Never done a hashtag before. I won't do it again, I promise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back