• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk and pop culture

Schoolboy-Chris

Occasional Pre-Show
As I have stated in a couple of threads recently I am a huge fan of CM Punk and his current heel run. His promos are for me some of the best and most original that I have seen in some time, I am enjoying the entire angle of the SES and cannot wait to see where it goes.

I was wondering if anyone noticed the pop culture references that have been cropping up in Punk's promos the past while, and could tell me if there is a story or reason behind them? Some examples of this: In his promo on last Friday's Smackdown he said "those of you who choose to live in darkness and stand in my way, I find your lack of faith disturbing." This is of course a well known Darth Vader quote from Star Wars.
In the Royal Rumble when Punk's mid match promo was interrupted by an entrant he said "Excuse me, it's clobberin' time" which is a catchphrase of the Thing from the Fantastic Four.
The latest one I noticed was in the Elimination Chamber match on Sunday, when Punk told the other contestants "I am not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me." This is a famous quote by Rorschach, of Watchmen fame.

These are the only examples that I can think of offhand, but I expect to see more in the future. I find it extremely entertaining and amusing that Punk includes phrases such as these in his promos, as it adds an extra edge to them in my opinion. Has anyone noticed any other references in Punk promos? And I would also like to know if this is a new development, or something he did in ROH or elsewhere, in some of his work that I am less familiar with.

Haha, yes, I was wondering if it was just me or did all those quotes you mention sound familiar.

Let me first say that was a fan of CM Punk from TNA up until his late ECW days, and then I suddenly couldn't stand him. I felt him became generic and as a big fan of KENTA, I didn't like him using so much of KENTA's moveset.

Fast forward in time to where he begin his preaching, and now I'm hooked again. His his mid-match promos are hilarious and very well delivered. It's easy to become glued to the screen when he's talking. To answer your question, I can't remember the pop culture references in his pre-WWE promos, but I know he's always been really smart in his promos, so him being able to incorporate those references now isn't anything new. Try to look up his feud with Raven for some good things similar to his work now.

What Punk does really well is borrow. It took me a while to get used to it because it felt like he was stealing, but he knows how to make something his own to the point where you find yourself thinking twice about everything he says because it sticks with you.

Off-topic, totally same thing with me, Poet. Except I never really cared for the guy in the first hand. The shock value of his first title win and how it came together made him a little interesting with me, but within a year I didn't care. However, not only does WWE finally successfully repackages somebody (not CM, hes had this in him from ROH) but Luke Gallows or Festus has had some life breathed into him that I never thought could've been possible. Anyway, Punk's promos during the Rumble and what he was saying made me appreciate the talent he is.

I agree with everyone. The way the WWE repackaged Luke was very good, the Festus thing was a joke. Can't say the same for his partner though, who we won't be seeing much anymore if not at all now. But I agree on the CM Punk thing. Punk as a face in WWE really wasn't cutting it for me. I mean yeah, his first world title win with the money in the bank was big, but months after, I didnt care what the guy did.

But now his new SEA gimick is looking really good and I think its quite different. The whole Savior thing, yeah it may get under some people's skins legitimatly, but damnit its a good heel persona and I am very interested as to where it will go from here. Only time, and Vinny Mac, will tell...

Well, the "It's clobbering time" quote is one that he has used for years (way before his WWE tenure) and almost everytime he uses it on his entrance to the ring right after he kneels and check his wrist, he shouts "It's clobbering time!". The way he used it at the Rumble was great.

Now on the other two quotes well, The Darth Vader one is was very well used and the Rorschach one I am pretty much sure I have heard it before that movie.

But on the way he cut his promos he has always been pretty good for that, as a face he never really had the opportunity to do it, but as Heel he has been excellent. They guy knows how to involve people and make them hate him like there is no tomorrow.

Sorry guys but the Fantastic Four and Star Wars haven't been pop culture in ten years (in the very least.) I don't understand the title of this post. CM Punk, as his name implies is clearly a fan of the entire sub culture. Straight-edge is something I grew up around, and involves people very immersed in the idea of straying from the main path. Punk rock. Comic Books. Straight edge. It all goes together. I'll go as far to say I know Punk isn't into pop culture, but is more about the sub culture.

Sorry guys but the Fantastic Four and Star Wars haven't been pop culture in ten years (in the very least.) I don't understand the title of this post. CM Punk, as his name implies is clearly a fan of the entire sub culture. Straight-edge is something I grew up around, and involves people very immersed in the idea of straying from the main path. Punk rock. Comic Books. Straight edge. It all goes together. I'll go as far to say I know Punk isn't into pop culture, but is more about the sub culture.

Since when did marvel comics and star wars drift away from pop culture? You probably can't find a dozen people in any one that haven't read F4 or seen the movie. And Stars is even bigger. I get that these things may have once been apart of a subculture such as sXe, but that hasn't been the case for at least 10 years.

Poɘt;1841121 said:
Haha, yes, I was wondering if it was just me or did all those quotes you mention sound familiar.

Let me first say that was a fan of CM Punk from TNA up until his late ECW days, and then I suddenly couldn't stand him. I felt him became generic and as a big fan of KENTA, I didn't like him using so much of KENTA's moveset.

Fast forward in time to where he begin his preaching, and now I'm hooked again. His his mid-match promos are hilarious and very well delivered. It's easy to become glued to the screen when he's talking. To answer your question, I can't remember the pop culture references in his pre-WWE promos, but I know he's always been really smart in his promos, so him being able to incorporate those references now isn't anything new. Try to look up his feud with Raven for some good things similar to his work now.

What Punk does really well is borrow. It took me a while to get used to it because it felt like he was stealing, but he knows how to make something his own to the point where you find yourself thinking twice about everything he says because it sticks with you.

I know what you mean about Punk becoming stale for a while, towards the end of his face run I really had no time for him and couldn't see why in the world he was champion. He really turned that around for me with his heel run, and he is fast becoming the guy I look forward to seeing most on Smackdown. The edge of real life to his promos really drags me in, I always wonder how much of the stuff he is saying that he really means.

I have looked up some of his old stuff and his promos do share alot of the same qualities with his current ones. His feud with Raven had some really passionate promos, and really made it seem like he hated people who weren't straight edge. The problem of him using moves from Japan was one I used to hear way more about when he started out, people really seemed to resent this, and i'm glad it has died down. Wrestling moves overlap alot in the industry, and at this stage Punk incorporating Japanese moves into his matches is something that I too have gotten used to. I know some people might have issue with the idea of "borrowing" but at least he is exposing Western audiences to a somewhat different style of wrestling so I agree with you here.

Not a chance here i'm afraid. Star Wars and Fantastic Four are still a huge part of pop culture, the idea that they belong in a sub culture is absolutely absurd. Maybe comic books were only known intimately by a more select crowd decades ago but now with film adaptations and new works being commissioned comic books are as mainstream as anything. Ask anyone id they have heard of the Fantastic Four, Batman, Superman or Watchmen (technically a graphic novel but you know what I mean) and I guarantee you noone who is abreast of what is popular currently involves will be unfamiliar with them.

Even the idea of straight edge is more mainstream now than it was twenty years ago. You can't claim that everything around CM Punk is a sub culture, the fact is that he is a well known wrestler in a company that is actually a large part of pop culture in its own right. If Punk wished to appeal to sub genres then he would pepper his promos with Minor Threat lyrics, since he doesn't I think its safe to assume that he is in fact into pop culture since that is where his references lie.

Poɘt;1844578 said:
Since when did marvel comics and star wars drift away from pop culture? You probably can't find a dozen people in any one that haven't read F4 or seen the movie. And Stars is even bigger. I get that these things may have once been apart of a subculture such as sXe, but that hasn't been the case for at least 10 years.

Listen, what I'm saying is that when punk was growing up, when he started getting in to wrestling, comic books, and watching star wars with his other nerd friends, I'm sure he wasn't the "coolest" kid around. Are all of those things part of pop culture? Sure, but they're followed and loved by millions who hated what was happening in pop culture. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Listen, what I'm saying is that when punk was growing up, when he started getting in to wrestling, comic books, and watching star wars with his other nerd friends, I'm sure he wasn't the "coolest" kid around. Are all of those things part of pop culture? Sure, but they're followed and loved by millions who hated what was happening in pop culture. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

Telling people to believe you because you know what you are talking about isn't a very persuasive argument, I suggest you outline your points more clearly. Punk's childhood is irrelevant here really, the point is that if he uses a Star Wars quote in a promo then chances are that most people will get it. Star Wars has been seen by almost everyone who is the least bit familiar with films, which makes it a part of the popular culture of today since it has stood the test of time for so long. Comics have become more mainstream due to film adaptations and a general widening of their market as they became more socially acceptable. The whole point is that these references that Punk has made, do in fact refer to entities relevant to the pop culture of today.

I saw punk work the crowd into a frenzy at the cow palace on 3/14. He was working everyone in the room yelling at children berating the crowd. Taking time to scream on several people one on one. The heat was so huge people started throwing shit in the ring. You could see punk was loving every minute of it. He was wearing a huge grin on his face as he kept making the crowd more and more rabid. Jericho didn't even get to say a few worlds before he was pelted w/ leftover hate for cm punk. Edge had to come out and talk the crowd down. Punk is a fantastic heel. Should ahve been doing this shtick since he 1st came to WWE.

Punk's references at pop culture are pretty awesome but a guy like him could only make those work. He looks damn great with his awesome beard and should not turn face for a Loooooooooong time.

Off Topic: I was also in a live event in Dublin and being irish that gave punk enough ammunition towards us. Here are some of the things he said to the crowd before, after and during his match(went about 12 minutes with R-Truth) to gain chants of "You are gay" & "póg mo hón"(irish for kiss my ass)

(To an obese man in the front row holding a beer) You sir look like the man that has never said no to anything and is walked all over. Just.... JUST LIKE IRELAND!"

(To a drunk man) Oh look it's the pride of Ireland the man who doesn't know how to walk in a straight line! How impressive!

The trouble with Ireland is that it's a country full of genius, with absolutely no talent(He actually said this[Hugh Leonard quotes FTW!])

If one as smart as i could teach the Irish to talk and to listen, the irish society would actually have a little strand of civilisation but i don't find you worth my great vast knowledge

and to end his opening promo:

For the Irish, there are no stars in the sky

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back