Christian Doesn't Need A Change Of Gimmick Or Alignment.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I, like everyone else who is capable of participating in these debates, would like to wholeheartedly welcome you to the forums. Honestly, I hope that we can have a great debate in here and beyond and with the right participation, we can definitely have that.

However, after watching one of the most recent Chair Shot Reality shows, I must take exception to one thing that Mr. Isenberg said. As the topic of Christian was discussed, Mr. Isenberg stated that Christian needed a gimmick change and a change of alignment to win the World Heavyweight Championship on the Smackdown Brand.

Now, as a “peep” and a fan of the WWE, I seem to think that the opposite is true of Christian and in this thread, I am setting out to prove to you that Christian does not need either of those things to be World Heavyweight Champion.

So, without any more mindless chatter, let’s get on with this thing.

First of all, I think it is very relevant to examine some of the people who have been World Heavyweight Champions and WWE Champions alike. Over the last couple of months, we have seen some people come to the forefront of the company without having to undergo any alignment changes or gimmick changes. Let us look at the Raw side of things first of all and then move onto Smackdown…

Raw

John Cena: John Cena has been the man in the WWE for years and yet has not gone through one single gimmick change since he was the happy-go-lucky guy who rapped before he had a match. That was a long time ago yet John Cena is still seen as the man who is on top of the company. His gimmick is never likely to change and he will always be a contender for the WWE Championship.

Sheamus: He debuted with his current gimmick and he has no deviated from that in any way since. The WWE saw fit to give him that opportunity and although he debuted with the same gimmick he has now, he has been rewarded with the top prize in the business.

Smackdown

Jack Swagger: Swagger is the only person on both of the brands that you could legitimately argue has been changed to suit the World Heavyweight Championship picture. He went from the toothy loser on Raw to challenge the World Heavyweight Champion with his Money in the Bank briefcase in tow. However, even then, you have to admit that he had already won the World Heavyweight Championship before his reign actually begun. It was only after he won the Championship that he began to change his alignment and gimmick.

Kane:

Kane is the winner of the circumstance lottery and nothing has changed except for the fact that he has something concrete to run with now. He was always a heel in spirit and although the WWE tried to pass him off as a face, he always had the air of the Big Red Machine behind him. The only thing that really changed for Kane was that he was allowed to run with something (The attack of The Undertaker). The only thing that allowed Kane to get that final push into the main event was the injury to the Undetaker.

Now, what I am trying to get at is that over the last couple of months and perhaps year, the WWE have not been in the habit of changing people’s alignments and gimmicks just to fit them around the Championship belts. Randy Orton is another prime example of this as his current gimmick change has not allowed him to take the WWE Championship away from Sheamus… Thus far.

My point being, that the past has shown us that the WWE are not stuck on the idea of having people change alignments to suit the Championships. Why should they start with Christian?

I also feel that we should take a look at Christian.

Christian is still regarded as one of the best in-ring talents in the WWE. Now, even CSR have gotten involved in the debate over Christian being better than Edge. I am not implying that I think Christian is better. However, what I am saying is that enough people seem to believe that Christian has the advantage over Edge. Basically, I think it comes down to Christian being slightly better and more expansive (in regards to move-set) than Edge is. Given that enough people seem to favour Edge, do you not think it is logical that the WWE might notice that Christian has some fan support and decide to back him?

The other thing that seems to always plague Christian is the stigma of going to TNA. If you are one who believes in all the discussion that goes on on WrestleZone and other Wrestling news sites, you might believe that the WWE are trying to keep Christian down for going to the competition. Call it Vince’s retribution or whatever. However, I would argue that if his current gimmick (which is over with the fans) is not enough to cut it and change the mind of the higher-ups in the WWE, what gimmick is going to be able to do that?

Christian’s gimmick suits him perfectly and the fans actually care about him. He is constantly one of the most impressive people on the Smackdown roster, in my opinion. However, I am curious to hear why you think he needs to change away from a gimmick that is over with the crowd and suits his personality, in the hope that whatever new gimmick he takes on with prove more fruitful when he may in fact shoot himself in the foot?

I dont think that christian needs any kind of a gimmick change.His gimmick is that of a funny and cool guy and that is what he is in general.However he needs to change certain aspects of his character.Like i dont like the way he has been standing up for mysterio or hardy.No that is completely unneccesary.he needs to be a bit like the original people's champ.I think given the crowd support he gets he can hold his own even if he starts insulting faces.Like when he interrupted alberto the other day he could have said something like "arent you acting a bit too cocky for a guy whose biggest achievement has been squashing a malnourished midget with a cardiac condition"(in reference to commentators always saying that he has a big heart)

point is that i like christian too.i think punk is the best heel in wwe right now as far as mic skills are concerned.christian,if allowed to be himself,can very well hold his own against punk.the promos between the two would be worth seeing

Cristian as a wrestler I beleive that the WWE should give him a longer run with the heavyweight championship because he deserve it not just one time and thats it.I also feel that John Cena needs to help up and comming superstars develop there own wrestling personas so that way not focus to much on the top wrestling guys that are always on top PPVS or are always on television. And why are the WWEuniverse booing Cena instead of supporting him

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back