• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chris Jericho and the use of The Walls Of Jericho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baximus

Pie Eater AND Jabroni Beater
Watching Smackdown tonight, i was extremely pleased someone FINALLY tap out to the Walls of Jericho.

Nothing against Eric Escobar, who I don't really care about one way or the other, but aside from the Morrison segment (I'm a mark) and the CM Punk commentary during Truth's entrance (self-explanatory), this was by far my favorite portion of the show. I actually cheered from my couch out loud.

Does anyone else feel that Y2J's signature maneuver has been really deadened in the last few months? I honestly don't remember anyone tapping to it in a very long time so it was losing its possible allure as a real finishing move.

In fact, I was really upset about that because it was the biggest move in his arsenal back in the day. The Walls meant this match could NOW and that's really been watered down. Getting Escobar to quit on it is a good start back to actual danger.

I hope he makes 2-3 more people tap before the Rumble to get one of the few great submission finishers still in the WWE back to being a legitimate finisher, because I still have trouble buying the codebreaker and he never hits the lionsault anymore.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

No you're not. I was in bed drinking chicken soup because I have a cold, and when Escobens or what ever his name is tapped out I screamed and dropped the bowl of soup and fucked up my carpet lol. I was sooooo happy, 'coz the last time some one tapped to the walls of Jericho was Brian Kendrick on RAW like 2 years ago (yep, I kept track, see how much of a Jericho mark I am?). And yeah they should really bring back the danger and prestige to the walls of Jericho because it is a classic IMO.

I too have to agree with you on this. I have always been a fan of submission finish and am very happy that someone finally tapped out of walls.Walls are great move and have seen very big names tap out to it then what is the problem with all the submission end. I think WWE just wants matches to finish with some high impact move thats it and that needs to be changed.

I too have to agree with you on this. I have always been a fan of submission finish and am very happy that someone finally tapped out of walls.Walls are great move and have seen very big names tap out to it then what is the problem with all the submission end. I think WWE just wants matches to finish with some high impact move thats it and that needs to be changed.

I think Vince has forgotten his history lessons. How many of the great had submission finishers that they ended matches with?

Bret Hart: Sharpshooter

Ric Flair: Figure Four leglock

Sting: Scorpion Deathlock

Benoit: Crippler Crossface

I once held the Walls of Jericho in the same esteem as any of those. Not anymore.

I don't care how exciting it is, the crowd ignores submissions more often than not (like headlocks, armbars, etc) because they're not a danger for the wrestler. However, when you have a legitimate submission move, the crowd will go nuts for a guy trying to crawl to the ropes.

Could you imagine any of those great moves that I just mentioned being reduced to the same level as a fucking armbar? Hell, no. But that's what has happened to Y2J. His signature move is now nothing more than something that you know they'll get out of.

That stupid spin out that everyone has been doing needs to stop and people need to start tapping. NOW.

Pardon my language, I'm just annoyed about this after finding out it has been two fucking years since someone tapped to the Walls of Jericho.

Break the Walls Down, indeed, Vince. You've succeeded. I'm going to go watch Y2J's debut in Chicago on Youtube now and feel better.

It's just the art of submission wrestling has died down a lot since the attitude era. You can see they are trying to bring it back with Breaking Point but that submission hype soon died after the PPV. We saw Batista use the ankle lock for one week and we never saw it again.

We need to see some of the talent initiative using submission finishers. Vance Archer could use a good submission like the cloverleaf in his moveset. If a young talent started using a submission it stands them out and the crowd then knows who they are. Hopefully we see the Cattle Mutilation by Danielson, I have faith that if they give a submission to anyone it would be him.

I missed Smackdown this week and I was thinking a couple of days before about tap outs. Jericho really uses the codebreaker now cause is comes out of no where. The walls were once feared and as soon as he got them locked in it was over. But now it's codebreaker ever match and never the walls. The only sub around really is the STF-U and Cena makes it look shit half the time.Jericho needs this with the lack of subs around but hay.

That's just me!

The WWE should let him use the walls of Jericho the old school (lion tamer) way he did it. Elevated knee in the back now THAT was a submission that was awsome. Tho I still mark out when I see him use the walls now days

I was also pleased to see someone finally tap out to the Walls of Jericho. But I was kinda hoping that it would be a bigger star than Eric Escobar. No disrespect to Escobar, but in the past, some of the biggest names in the industry tap out to the Walls. Some like Kane, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Randy Orton, Batista, The Rock and more. Since his return in 2007, the only other person I remember seeing tap out to the Walls of Jericho was Paul London, but that was a squash match, like the match with Escobar.

I guess adding the "Codebreaker" to his arsenal has caused the WWE to weaken the effect of the Walls. And I never really understood why. I guess the WWE only wants submission ending to John Cena and Undertaker matches, which is a bit boring if you ask me.

Green Rep for reading my mind Baximus! This match bothered me however. They made it look like Y2J would've got his ass fully handed to him by this Escobar guy if Big Show were not added. Come on! Jericho is the best in the world at what he does. I really dislike how they make him look like the weak link of the team. But back to the topic, I marked the hell out when Escobar tapped out to the once mighty Walls. The reason that it's a boston crab now is because he had to modify it due to how dangerous it was the way he originally applied it iceninja.

That was my point really...I don't have a problem with it now but if they want to make it look like it hurts then he should do it that way. I mean how many years had he done the move beforehand without snapping someones back.

Anyway. More submissions wins for Y2J on big name opponents

It is impossible to have a submission as a signature move in the WWE. Unlike any other non-submission, a submission move looks like, "He's gonna get out." or "He's gonna get to a rope." WHy Y2J Chris Jericho grabs his opponents legs and starts to try to turn his opponent on his stomach, it doesn't hold the same meaning because you don't think that they will EVER tap out. 7 years ago, every time Chris Jericho grabs the legs, you were at the edge of your seat edging on his opponent to "Tap".

All in all, I agree with you and think that the Codebreaker should be a signature and the Walls should be a signature.

I like seeing people tap. I was hoping, with Breaking Point, that more wrestlers would use submission finishers. Submissions always get the crowd hot, and it's another exciting way to end a match.

They seemed to be letting Cena use the STF more and more, and even win matches with it, and with Jericho using the Walls more and having people tap to it, we could see more submission finishers in the WWE.

The problem thats gone on is thus:

Submissions are great for getting someone easy and quickly as it makes them look tough and smart. However Jericho is a vet. now and as you got higher up, you have to put more people over to help them climb that ladder aswell. Unfortunately thats where submissions come in aswell. How tough does someone look if they can break a submission that everyone seems to tap out to, and once that wall is broken down (pardon the pun), then it weakens the move itself.

Unfortunate, but true.

Finally. I was so freakin happy when he used it and Escobar tapped out. I hate the codebreaker because it plainly sucks. The Walls of Jericho was the shit back in the day, it always looked so damn painful, especially the original one where Jericho puts his knee on the opponents back or head, not the boston crab version of it. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5djE-32MWQ )(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5djE-32MWQ at 0:50). That's the Walls of Jericho that I love not the boston crab.

I used to mark the fuck out when Jericho attempted to slap on the Walls, but not so much anymore. Every time he starts trying to turn the opponent over, they just twist their damn legs and send him flying. That seems to be everyone's solution to it.

Plus, it seems more like a traditional Boston Crab now than it ever was. I, like the above poster, enjoyed it more when he put more torque on it and used the knee as a bonus. It looked painful as fuck.

The only wrestlers whose submission finishers seem real, are John Cena and the Undertaker, because people actually tap out to them. If more people tapped to the Walls of Jericho, it would seem legit. Such a shame, because it's one of Jericho's signature moves and he wouldn't be the same without it.

They did it again!

Y2J put JTG into the REAL Walls of Jericho, the incredibly painful-looking version, not the lazy Boston crab move.

And JTG tapped. As soon as someone gets into the REAL Walls, I am going to start getting excited again.

I hope that Y2J goes back to making people tap with the Real Walls of Jericho and soon as his primary finisher, because he's so much more awesome when he does so.

Plus, the real Walls of Jericho might be the most brutal looking submission in wrestling.

On Smackdown this week when Chris was trying to lock the walls in he had JTG Right on his neck for a decent amount of time and then he proceeded to lock the walls in. I think if he modifies it to twist them onto their neck the walls will start being used more and more. Also I would actually like to see Chris hit a Lionsault once in a while it makes him look like an idiot if he never hits. Lastly I think if Jericho Had a Master lock Challenge type of segment but instead of the master lock he would use the walls of Jericho. It would benefit him because I really don't see anything for him to do now that he's off RAW

this week i was so happy seeing him lock the walls of Jericho on JTG. as soon as the Knee went onto the neck i literally said HOLY SHIT!. it was amazing. I love this way. it makes him look more aggresive and powerful. and during the end of the match i thought that maybe now that Jericho is off Raw he might start doing something with the Hart Dynasty. Kind of like a Mentor to them. But thats a BIG maybe.

Anyway, I hope he keeps using this style of the Walls. its just so much better in my opinion

man that was awesome, the first time he used it since 01-02,and no im not including the boston crap(yes crap)one he does,this was the real walls of jericho,he bent jtg's back in half, and what made it look even better, he pushed his knee in the back of his neck,that is the best looking walls i have seen since summerslam 01,when he did it to rhino.

Jericho did a proper Walls of Jericho for the first time since doing it on Kofi Kingston at Night of Champions 2008 this week, which was nice. It would appear that he is shifting to using this as his primary finisher once again, which I think works better for his current heel persona. He isn't an opportunist like Edge and Orton, he's more of a better than you sort of heel and nothing shows dominance better than a submission victory. My only thoughts as to why the Walls have been toned down on time is that they are legitimately a painful move, unlike the boston crab.

From personal experience of making someone cry at school, I can tell you that sticking your knee into the nape of the neck is immensely painful. Pain usually is a warning of bodily harm and I imagine that the Walls may cause those with neck injuries, in other words all wrestlers, some problems, even though it is a fake wrestling hold. The fact that he has only done it properly on JTG and Kofi, two relatively young wrestlers, helps corroborate that. Well, either that or he's a racist. Anyway, I'd love to see the proper one full time, but I imagine it is too dangerous to do so. Either way, a submission finisher makes good sense for Jericho.

Well he made JTG tap out to it on Smackdown using a version of the walls which looked like it would hurt. Hopefully this leads to him using submissions once again as it seems he may be hanging out with The Hart Dynasty so a submission seems fitting. Personally I like him using the Walls rather than the Codebreaker. It makes him seem different to the other main heels like Orton and used to be Edge who would just hit it out of nowhere just like Jericho has been doing lately.

It makes Jericho look alot more vicious and more believable if they tap out. I for one know how much they hurt as have been put in one and used them and they normally cry out in pain the ******'s. So if Jericho locks in the more painful looking version it won't look so bad if a main eventer taps.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who marked out to see Jericho use the REAL Walls of Jericho on SmackDown. This submission is one of the best in the business, and I was disappointed when he started watering it down to a boston crab. I eagerly await next week's SmackDown to see if he uses it again.

That SHOULD have been the version of The Walls Of Jericho all along. I am pleasantly surprised to see that many people marked out when they saw the Liontamer. I missed that move so much because it actually looked like it hurt. The Walls Of Jericho je has been using as of late looked like it felt more like laying on your stomach while a man sat 2 feet over you. This looks like it hurt and the placement of the knee on the back of the head makes it more difficult to escape and more painful as it applies pressure not only the torso but the head as well.

I’ve always been a fan of the Walls of Jericho and it should still be used as a legitimate submission move. It’s still a threat, superstars still freak out and try to get to the ropes or stop him turning them but lately I’d say 90% of the time they get out of it. It’s good to see Jericho get someone to tap out to it cause there’s not many guys that use a submission move to win a match. Only really Taker sometimes and Cena’s STFU. I like the CodeBreaker though, it looks painful when he hits it right but the Walls is just one of those moves from back in the day I always love seeing locked in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back