• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chris Hero Gets His WWE Name

Jack-Hammer

YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!!!!
Recently signed former ROH talent Chris Hero has officially been given his name in FCW: Kassius Ohno. Some will hate it, some will like it, some won't care either way. I'm not wild about it, but I don't hate it. It does stand out, if nothing else. Here's a very brief bio of Ohno on the FCW website: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/kassiusohno2.html

It's been a while since I've seen the guy and it looks like he definitely needs to hit the gym and tone up that stomach a little.

Recently signed former ROH talent Chris Hero has officially been given his name in FCW: Kassius Ohno. Some will hate it, some will like it, some won't care either way. I'm not wild about it, but I don't hate it. It does stand out, if nothing else. Here's a very brief bio of Ohno on the FCW website: http://www.fcwwrestling.info/kassiusohno2.html

It's been a while since I've seen the guy and it looks like he definitely needs to hit the gym and tone up that stomach a little.

Eh. That's about what Hero's always looked like. I've never seen his abs particularly toned. He's never really needed it.

The name's interesting, to say the least. I don't really care about FCW names anymore. For one, Remix tells me that FCW talent pick them out for themselves, so that's one thing. For another, they just don't matter anymore. A man named Dolph Ziggler is legitimately possibly going to be a world champion in 2012. That's the most ridiculously stupid name I've ever heard, but it doesn't matter anymore. Kassius Ohno is weird, but Hero will rise or fall on his own merits. I'm interested in what the thought process behind it was. Obviously there's channeling of Muhammad Ali for the given name and that ice skater for the surname, so perhaps they intend to have him wrestle under some kind of "Super Athlete" or "Olympic" gimmick, or something. I have no idea. It's a weird name, but it stands out and it has a pretty solid ring to it. He'll do fine. I have no doubt in Hero's ability to succeed in the WWE - he's loaded with charisma and wrestling talent.

Not crazy about the name, but it's not terrible, I guess.

As Harthan said, Dolph Ziggler's name hasn't held him back.

Although I do like "Chris Hero" more, as I think it's simple yet awesome and there are a lot of ways they could go with it if/when he debuts in the bigs.

But whatever gimmick he uses will be more important and a bigger factor in whatever success he has, I think.

Eh. That's about what Hero's always looked like. I've never seen his abs particularly toned. He's never really needed it.

The name's interesting, to say the least. I don't really care about FCW names anymore. For one, Remix tells me that FCW talent pick them out for themselves, so that's one thing. For another, they just don't matter anymore. A man named Dolph Ziggler is legitimately possibly going to be a world champion in 2012. That's the most ridiculously stupid name I've ever heard, but it doesn't matter anymore. Kassius Ohno is weird, but Hero will rise or fall on his own merits. I'm interested in what the thought process behind it was. Obviously there's channeling of Muhammad Ali for the given name and that ice skater for the surname, so perhaps they intend to have him wrestle under some kind of "Super Athlete" or "Olympic" gimmick, or something. I have no idea. It's a weird name, but it stands out and it has a pretty solid ring to it. He'll do fine. I have no doubt in Hero's ability to succeed in the WWE - he's loaded with charisma and wrestling talent.

Totally agree with you.

I'm not against the idea of giving newly signed talent new names. Antonio Cesaro has a nice ring to it. If you look at it one way, Claudio Castagnoli is kind of a mouthful wheras Cesaro has a nice flow to it. In addition, Tyler Black and Jon Moxley are both so ridiculously talented, that having them wrestle under the names Seth Rollins and Dean Ambrose shouldn't really matter.

Looking at it this way, Kassius Ohno isn't so bad when you really think about it. Considering that the casual fans have no clue as to who Chris Hero is, it doesn't really make a difference if he was to wrestle as either Chris Hero or Kassius Ohno. I've been following Hero's career for years and I was stoked to hear him sign with WWE. He deserves a shot at the big time. So if Hero/Ohno can really shine in the WWE, than the people will respond to him no matter what his name is. Like you said, Dolph Ziggler is a future main eventer and world champion. If anybody said that when Nick Nemeth made his redebut as the character back in 2008, people would've thought they were on something. But Ziggler has come a long way since then.

Considering his ring name is a combination of Cassius Clay (otherwise known as Muhammad Ali) and Apolo Ohno, I do think giving him the gimmick of some sort of super athlete would work for him, especially considering his naturally high levels of testosterone.

One thing to also point out, Kassius Ohno's initials are K.O. So there's some acknowledgement of his indy past.

His name could be either good or bad depending on how they say it.
Either it is going to come out like a roman name or like ali's first name. If it is the first one than i can assure you that he and ceasaro will have some time of kings of wrestling tag team. Does anyone know how they are going to say it.

I know it doesn't really matter BUT the name changes WWE usually do just don't make sense.

For Evan bourne I think it truly does work, and dolph ziggler sounds more outlandish than nick nameth so it goes with his character.. But daniel Bryan? Maybe if they still called him the American dragon daniel bryan, but daniel Bryan on its own sounds like an accountants name.. Not that of a world champion. And also the name danielson just sounds more fighter like. Not to mention the fact that if he still went by the American dragon nickname the merchandise you could put out for him.

Chris hero sounds like a wrestler. It sounds cool and it's short and to the point.. Kassius Ohno sounds fucking weak!

Dean ambrose

I'll agree with everyone on this.

It's a decent name, but it will make more of an impact when he debuts depending on his gimmick. At this point, I'm not so sure what Hero will debut as, but half of the excitement is wondering what he will become. :)

Horrible name. I don't understand why they to have such horsesh** names these days. Chris Hero is perfectly fine and not cringe worthy like "Kassius Ohno". Just because it "stands out" doesn't mean it's good.

Horrible name. I don't understand why they to have such horsesh** names these days. Chris Hero is perfectly fine and not cringe worthy like "Kassius Ohno". Just because it "stands out" doesn't mean it's good.

Ring Of Honor probably has a trademark on his name that's why. IMO I don't care what name they give him anybody remember TerraRyzing(Paul Levesque's 1st gimmick) he became Triple H, what about Oz and The Diamond Studd (Kevin Nash and Scott Hall respectively), The Punisher(The Undertaker), The Ringmaster(Stone Cold Steve Austin), GI Bro(Booker T), Issac Yankem, DDS(Kane) this list could go on forever and ever and ever etc. It's just a name as I wouldn't care what name McMahon or Creative gave me or if I was able to use my own nickname. That wouldn't bother me and probably wouldn't bother any of you if you were given a shot to work for the Greatest Wrestling Promotion in history. Chris Spradlin will give it a good run w/ it if they keep that as his name as it always changes in the minors. Has anybody ever seen his finisher it's like Big Show WMD but w/ his Roaring Rolling Elbow. We can thank Mike Hogewood for Hero's nickname "As That Young Knockout Kid" and I hope Chris will go far in the E. I was wondering when he was going to be in the E.

While I'm not so sure about the new name, what I am sure of is that reports of WWE not wanting to use Hero and Claudio as a tag team would be a huge mistake if true. Given the implosion of Air Boom thanks to Evan Bourne's bad habits, WWE could finally have a tent pole team in the two. While many WWE fans will have no idea they were ever a tag team in ROH, their in ring chemistry alone would get them over instantly as a heel team.

Having them as a team could really help elevate a team like The Uso's as well.

OH NO! What a horrible name! Does the WWE have something against normal names these days? Look at Evan Borne.. obviously the WWE wanted to use the Bourne name from the movies.. why not do something similar with hero.. how about.. er.. Shane Bauer. Steal Jack Bauer's name from 24 now that the show isn't on any more and there you go. Kassius Ohno? I'm shaking my head.

And as for Dolph Ziggler? If he was simply the Natural Nick Nameth, he probbaly would have been a multi time champion by now...

I dont really care I mean theres no indication that its going to be his permanent name and if they just dropped the Ohno part it would sound really cool.

Hero had a big say in this name. You do realise that's how it works in FCW, right? The wrestler - with the help of management - picks it. So Hero clearly likes the name, and fuck, why wouldn't he? It's awesome.

It's a name only a pernickety little moron could hate. I read all the time that people want "different". You don't get more different than a name like Kassius Ohno.

It sets him apart from the crowd without sounding stupid. Kassius sound like a fighter's name. Cassius Clay, anyone? And Ohno? Well, it's not a surname I've heard before. But it compliments the first name nicely. It rolls off the tongue, which is essential for any wrestler's name. Plus, the initials are K.O. for that Young Knockout Kid.

OH NO! What a horrible name! Does the WWE have something against normal names these days? Look at Evan Borne.. obviously the WWE wanted to use the Bourne name from the movies.. why not do something similar with hero.. how about.. er.. Shane Bauer. Steal Jack Bauer's name from 24 now that the show isn't on any more and there you go. Kassius Ohno? I'm shaking my head.

Shane Bauer is an awful name, but that's not why I quoted you. You've got the Bourne thing wrong. The story goes that WWE had a few suggestions for Bourne (real bad names like "Joe Jordan" apparently), but told him to come up with some of his own ideas. He, Joey Styles and another Superstar whose name escapes me came up with Evan Bourne. He told WWE, they liked it and so Evan Bourne came into being.

And as for Dolph Ziggler? If he was simply the Natural Nick Nameth, he probbaly would have been a multi time champion by now...

Hold on. You said that WWE picks the names. Why would they pick a supposedly bad name if they knew his real one would be better? That makes no sense.

While I'm not so sure about the new name, what I am sure of is that reports of WWE not wanting to use Hero and Claudio as a tag team would be a huge mistake if true. Given the implosion of Air Boom thanks to Evan Bourne's bad habits, WWE could finally have a tent pole team in the two. While many WWE fans will have no idea they were ever a tag team in ROH, their in ring chemistry alone would get them over instantly as a heel team.

Having them as a team could really help elevate a team like The Uso's as well.

^This. I want to see the duo formerly known as The Kings of Wrestling team together. I don't care what their names are or what they're called. I've learned that it doesn't matter what you're called. A lot of people pointed out Mr Ziggles as an example. The name sticks out and that's probably what they're trying to accomplish.

AND I just want to see the rebirth of the Tag Team Division....

Chris hero sounds like a wrestler. It sounds cool and it's short and to the point.. Kassius Ohno sounds fucking weak!

Chris Hero sounds like a wrestler because that is what he was called. Dolph Ziggler doesn't sound much like a wrestler (or a real name), but he is a wrestler.

I'm more interested in his performance than his name.

Just because it "stands out" doesn't mean it's good.

The quality of "standing out" is only minimally affected by the name. Sure it's a factor there but it's not a make or break factor like other intangibles.

It seems like a weird name at first but I am sure just like Ziggler and Bryan before him if he is that damn good in the ring (and I can say from experience watching him that is) then the name itself will have little affect on his card status. Ziggler has one of the most absurd names in the history of the company and it's his talent and hard work that got him to where he is. The name standing out because of it's uniqueness is a rather good thing if it gets him the chance of exposure to show his stiff in the ring,

It's only an FCW name, they can change it at any time but when it all comes down to it Hero's FCW name will not make or break him.

Ring Of Honor probably has a trademark on his name that's why.

I think that Chris Spradlin owns the name "Chris Hero" because he had been using that name since long before there was even a Ring Of Honor. WWE has a long history of liking to own the rights to peoples names so then when or if they end up working for someone else they cant use that name for the competition. Most people on the indy scene (most of the smarter guys at least) own the rights to their name and Vince doesn't like his "Independent Contractors" to have that kind of control over their careers.

The name Doesn't bother me too bad, its the fact that they brought in an awesome Team that know each other and work well together and the rumor is that they don't plan on using them as a TEAM. if this is true I just ask, WHY? It sure as hell couldn't hurt.

I personally think the surname (or whatever 'Ohno' pretends to be) is atrocious, but then, Chris Hero may have had a hand in forming the name. As long as that name and all the stifled guffaws in its wake remain in FCW, it'll be fine.

I actually think the name is kind of cool, it has an interesting sound to it. It'll be interesting to see what happens to him now that he's in the shark tank, because at this point he's going to be treated pretty much like all the other WWE farm animals.

On another note, I think WWE is trying to win over the indy fans that used to be WWE/F marks. I mean, its pretty obvious and it's something that never has to be said because it's just assumed, but WWE seem to be trying harder then ever to cause a surge in consumer interest, which is evident as they are trying REALLY hard to cover all fan bases. Not so many years ago Vince wouldn't of given two s***'s about what the indy fans were watching. I think signing CM Punk was the start of a beautiful friendship (Or something of some sort) between the WWE and the indy circuit.

To be honest, the name could be worse. I think he's too talented for his name to hold him back either way. Plus, like pointed out before, the initials for his new name is K.O. That most likely means he's going to be doing the knockout elbow for his finisher since he is doing the taunt for the finisher in the FCW picture. I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings of Wrestling reunion, but if they don't, oh well. They both are good enough to make it in the WWE solo. Also teams who join the WWE haven't been very success in years so not being a team might help out for them in the long run. Look at the Usos, they came up as a team, and they have done nothing at all.

I always wonder what WWE would have called Hogan, Flair, Savage and co if the IP structure is what it is today. Hulk Hogan was an AWA thing and Vince wouldn't let him use the name so... Terry Ferrigno maybe?

Hero's new name is horrible. There is such a huge post-nWo fear that this whole new name thing is ridiculous. Hero might be stuck with this mess. And not to mention the fumbling of LEGEND HERITIGE.

Hero is better than a name, the same way Dolph is etc. but it is just one more thing holding people back unneccesarily from getting over.

Picture this....

The Raw after Wrestlemania, The Rock is giving his last speech at the end of Raw before leaving until SummerSlam time for the Cena rematch, he's giving the crowd everything. He's....electrifying....them and coming up with all kinds of funnies for them.

KoW comes on stage. Whoever is their best on the mic will talk....The Rock makes fun of them, makes a few one liners about them being 'nobodies', and asks who they are and what their names are....

KoW says it doesn't matter what their names are....what does matter is that 15 years from now, they will be considered legends, they will be considered Kings (obvious reference while he looks at the camera, as Punk did, since they won't be actually called KoW anymore). Takes a jab at the Rock. He's past his prime. Says that 2-3 years from now, he and the guy standing right next to him will be putting on epic matches for the IC belt, ones that will be talked about for years, like Michales-Razor and Steamboat-Savage. 5 years from now, they will be winning WWE titles, putting on epic matches like Michaels and Angle and etc etc....But right now, they are going to start at the 'bottom', with the tag titles....the tag title hasn't meant a damn thing to the WWE in a long time, KoW says....they are going to change that. They are going to win the titles...they, as a team, can beat the WWE champ and the IC champ in a tag match anytime....they say how nobody in the WWE knows how to be a champion anymore because the titles get hot-potatoed every 2 months. No one is truly great to dominate these days...they are going to evoke memories of when tag teams meant something....

Give them the belts and build up the other teams through prime spot feuds...have them beat the WWE and IC champs (faces) while they are carrying the tag titles....their chemistry will be obvious. Punk could make these guys' careers, and he could bring up the IC title holder (face Miz, maybe? Hmmm....) Have guys wanting to find tag partners to try to beat them and show that on Raw....hold 4 team #1 contender matches that are truly great....make new tag teams and invest time into them....end Raws with KoW standing tall at the end.

If I were a WWE writer....

Ring Of Honor probably has a trademark on his name that's why.

I doubt heavily that ROH has trademarks on Chris Hero's name, or any of their talents' names for that matter. They may have a television deal, but ROH is still very much an indie company. Most of their performers come into the company with their name, wrestle for other promotions with said name, and leave with their name. It's really not until you get to the WWE level that people usually even bother with trademarking things. It costs money and it's just a haste when you're trying to work for as many indie companies as you can to make a buck and get your name out there to the big leagues.

Moving on to the actual question: the name isn't terrible. I don't think it's necessarily one of those names people are going to remember in late night talk shows, but who can honestly say Chris Hero's going to make it to that level in the WWE? No hate against him, or Claudio, but I don't see them reaching the same heights as even Daniel Bryan, let alone one of WWE's top faces and draws in CM Punk. I guess I'd be a fool to count anyone out after the last year we've seen though... In the end, the name is just a name. They go through them like crazy, and if it really tanks they can just ship him back for a re-package and try again.

I know reports have said that they don't plan on bringing the "Kings" in as a tag team, and that they will wrestle separately. I find that hard to believe, even if FCW talents are being told that at the moment. I don't mean any disrespect by this, but Hero and Castignoli are NOT the best two talents in Ring of Honor. If WWE was going to hire two guys from ROH to play for their team, why would they go with BOTH of the Kings? Why not Davey Richards or Eddie Edwards? Why not somebody younger like Mike Bennett who already has that "it" look the WWE usually searches for in a star? There are so many talented guys on the ROH roster, and I don't think it's fair to say either of the Kings are the best. So why bring them both in? Why hand both members of an established indie tag team contracts, and nobody else, if they didn't have plans to at least try out a tag team with them at some point?

It's an awful name. Most of them are. Dolph Ziggler? Michael McGillicutty (or whatever the fuck)? Does it mean a lot?

Probably not. Although, it is just one more thing for people to complain about. I think it's entirely possible this name, Hero's name, is a possible troll job. They've been doing that a lot as of late. It sucks, and I'm sure they know it.

Not thrilled about the name, but just because that's his name in FCW doesn't mean that will be his name if ever makes to the actual WWE. By the time he gets called up, they may have some totally different name for him. Not anything to be concerned with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back