• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chris Chelios

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
At 47 he is one of the oldest players ever to try and lace up his skates. He has been playing the hockey, since my older sister was born, and that was just in the NHL. But at this moment, he is just playing in the AHL, after not getting a contract this year.

Phoenix Coyotes seem poised to sign him however. After injuries to their blue line, they will be searching for a D man. Chelios is said to be in great shape.

Brings up an interesting question. After the rule changes in the NHL, many thought it was a kids game, after the NHL created a faster game. But can players play into their forties, and up to the age of 47 now? If Chelios makes it, it shows that with the right genetics, and hard work, players can play for a long time in the NHL. Your view on this?

It's a tricky question. For sure there are players that can play into their fortys, but it's different if they can play effectively. It's a faster game now, for sure, so getting older is going to hinder them. Chelios can still play and he can probably still be impactful, but to expect him to be a star on any team is a stretch. He'll be on the last pairing and there for leadership and veteran experience.

So, most players nowadays can probably play into their fortys, but won't be very effective and most teams won't take the chance on them. The youth movement is here in the NHL and that's the route that teams will take.

Word on the street is that he signed with the Chicago Wolves in the AHL due to the Blackhawks not being able to afford to lend a contract out to him. That is what I had heard, don't know if it is true or not. I actually should go check out a game soon.

Anyways, Chelly still has it, even at 47. He may not have the legs he once had, but he is honestly a freak of nature. I remember watching Jeremy Roenick talk about Chelios one time recently, and he works out pretty much every day, running, biking, lifting, he is a freak (in a good way).

I honestly don't think he would go to Phoenix to continue his career in the NHL. Pretty sure he said that he would like to retire in Chicago, whether that be with the Blackhawks or with the Wolves.

As for the question about players into their later 40s, they need to have a strong, and I mean strong, work ethic like Chelios does, and they need to have that drive. Jeremy Roenick didn't even make it to 40, and he had to call it quits. But if a guy can stay relatively healthy for his whole career, work out like a fiend, and have the drive to play at such a high level, then guys in their 40s could play with the young guns.

Chelios is the one guy that can be 47 and hang in this league. He's always been in tremendous shape, and has never changed the way he plays. He hustles, takes his bumps, and still helps on offense. He's slowed a step in his old age, but he's still a better defenseman than about half the guys currently playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back