Chip Kelly Fired as Eagles Head Coach/General Manager

J.J.

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Eagles parted ways with Chip Kelly this evening. Kinda unusual they didn't wait until after the final game of the regular season. Honestly, can't say that I am surprised. I think the big issue there was signing Murray to all that money and not building that offense around him. He should've never been given a chance to be General Manager.

Think the Tennessee Titans or the Cleveland Browns will make a jump at him or should he return to the College ranks(Hi Texas Longhorns)?

Happy we got rid of him as an Eagles fan. I generally like the up tempo style but this team just wasn't ready for it and no adjustments were shown for most of the year. I think it's a good job getting rid of him now rather than after the last game. We now have a chance to see what this team/ players are really like without Chip. Maybe Murray goes off in the last week who knows. Also it's a 1 game trial for a new coach. Although 1 game isn't substantial information but it's better than bringing in Chip who wont be there next year. Titans would be interesting destination for Kelly, although I do think he goes back to college first.

He really fucked up a team that should have fared better in that division. Kiko Alonso was not worth McCoy. Letting go of Jackson was unnecessary. The QB situation never really settled. It just seems like he was in over his head. I don't know how you give a guy who excelled in college so much power and responsibility.

Welp; three and out in Philly. I'd imagine Eagles fans are getting rather use to that.

Kelly always seemed a bit of a douchebag, so fuck off with him. I know that people think he'll get another pro job. I doubt it. His system is a gimmick and needs a lot of buy in for the players. That can work with college kids, you can bully them around and be a dick. Good luck doing that to the pro player that makes ten times you do, Chipper.

Back to college with you, fuckboy.

Go figure; you get rid of some of your best offensive players and fail to utilize your new best offensive player and you trade for a QB with Jack's Links brand knee ligaments and then you get fired. The system works.

Right move by the Eagles 100%.

After all the wacky moves he made this past offseason, it was obviously playoffs or bust for Chip. It's going to take the Eagles a while to bounce back from this. I don't see a top caliber head coach wanting to go there. They should have never fired Andy Reid.

As far as Chip's future.... I don't see how another NFL team could possibly want him after this. The Titans make sense because of Mariota, yes, but what if Mariota gets hurt again? What does Chip do then? The guy just isn't fit to be an NFL head coach.

Send his ass back to college, wouldn't be surprised if USC was the landing spot.

Never understood why he wanted Frank Gore but settled with an injury prone Ryan Mattews or why over the last 3 games Murray did carry the ball a combined 20 carries. From my understanding Murray going to Jeffrey Lurie a few weeks ago about having no confidence in Kelly may have played a role into his dismiss.

But to allow McCoy, Foles, Jackson and Maclin to suit up elsewhere was stupid. Never understood. I remember his very first game, I think against the Redskins, running Michael Vick and the entire offense like an accelerated two-minute drill from the first snap. I thought he was gonna be Greg Schiano 2.0 with a worn out OL.

Send his ass back to college, wouldn't be surprised if USC was the landing spot.

USC re-signed Clay Helton, so there's no chance of this, unless USC wants to look like ginormous globs of splooge. I mean, not like it's ever stopped them before, but they seem to have Helton for a little while.

I can't see any jobs opening up soon. I mean, maybe Nebraska...maybe? What else is going to open up? You could get Chip Kelly, but it doesn't really look like the smart move it mint have three years ago. Too much bad has come out about him.

I'd love to see him wind up at Western Kentucky like Bobby Petrino had to do that year. Which means he'll become the heir apparent to Nick fucking Saban, or he'll get paired with Les Miles and boot him out.

If he doesn't get any interest from a team like Tennessee I could see him getting interest from the likes of UCLA or Texas. Definitely the latter.

A lot of nasty comments from his former players in the last year, especially from McCoy who flat out called him racist.

I think this is a good move on the Eagles part. A lot of the reports coming in are that Kelly was a poor mans Bill Belichick in that he was authoritative and kept to himself and believed that his system was the only system that could work. Difference is, Bill has four rings and ol' Potato Chip Kelly had no playoff wins.

As a fan of the Longhorns, I hope he doesn't go there. I believe in Charlie Strong, he just needs a couple of years. I like Haiku's idea of going the Bobby Petrino route. A smaller FBS school gives him a shot, then he will move onto bigger and better things.

A team like Cleveland or Tennessee could give him another NFL shot, but he is likely going to go down as another college coach who had a meh NFL career. It worked out okay for guys like Saban, but there aren't many top flight programs that are in dire need of a coach right now.

Please let Chip Kelly land in Cleveland. Just like when Johny Football was drafted, it would assure the Browns remain bottom feeders for years to come. Kelly's style in the AFC North would not end well.

He likely ends up in Tennessee, or some high profile college gig.

Please let Chip Kelly land in Cleveland. Just like when Johny Football was drafted, it would assure the Browns remain bottom feeders for years to come. Kelly's style in the AFC North would not end well.

Are the people in Cleveland really that shitty to continue to deserve this suffering? :lmao:

I'm trying to think who the hell would want that job in Philly. I mean, what a fucking disaster, just as bad as Cleveland has right now. No QB, nothing. Literally the only playmakers on that team are just a couple of former Saints. Everyone else sucks. And there's no huge name in the draft to give you hope, and even if there was, Philly's going to most likely be in the 14-20 picking range anyway. I seriously wouldn't even leave a cozy coordinator job to take over that team. It'd be career suicide to do so.

The more I think about it, the more it just blows my mind what a MESS Chip Kelly has left them with, sheesh.

He really fucked up a team that should have fared better in that division. Kiko Alonso was not worth McCoy. Letting go of Jackson was unnecessary. The QB situation never really settled. It just seems like he was in over his head. I don't know how you give a guy who excelled in college so much power and responsibility.

A big part of why I found this shocking, and expected AT LEAST one more year for this to get worked out.

You hand this guy the keys to all power, let him destroy and rebuild the roster in his own image, and then send him away after 15 games? Now you are left with this wrecked roster fit only to Kellys system, and have to do a total rebuild. Fuck, LAST WEEK they were still in contention for the divisional title. You don't want to wait for one more year before you embark on what now will be a total rebuild? Not to mention when this was his first losing season? Fuck, plenty of teams would be overjoyed with 10-6, 10-6, and 6-10.

As far as were he ends up, I think Tennesee is the favorite, with Miami a sleeper second. Both teams don't have the pressure or profile (or fuck crazy fans) that Philly does, and both teams have pieces and parts that will fit well in the Kelly system.

All the good college spots have dried up, but the ultimate Armageddon scenario of him going to Texas next year is in play.

As far as were the Eagles go, I gotta think Das Wunder Kid Adam Gase has to be their number one prospect. Has shown himself to be a fine offensive mind, and someone who is new, fresh, and hungry is the best way to go with a total rebuild situation like the Eagles are now facing.

Are the people in Cleveland really that shitty to continue to deserve this suffering? :lmao:

I'm trying to think who the hell would want that job in Philly. I mean, what a fucking disaster, just as bad as Cleveland has right now. No QB, nothing. Literally the only playmakers on that team are just a couple of former Saints. Everyone else sucks. And there's no huge name in the draft to give you hope, and even if there was, Philly's going to most likely be in the 14-20 picking range anyway. I seriously wouldn't even leave a cozy coordinator job to take over that team. It'd be career suicide to do so.

The more I think about it, the more it just blows my mind what a MESS Chip Kelly has left them with, sheesh.

Does anyone know the update on Josh Gordon? He should be eligible to play next season and was the only bright spot on that team at Receiver.

Chip Kelly's tenure in Philadelphia got off to a promising start, but he eventually sunk the organization with numerous questionable and idiotic decisions.

-- He traded for Sam Bradford, one of the most injury prone QBs in the NFL. (Don't worry, he signed Mark "Butt Fumble" Sanchez to be the backup)

-- He gave DeMarco Murray $8M annually, and he has severely underperformed.

-- He released DeSean Jackson and didn't re-sign Jeremy Maclin, leaving absolutely nothing at WR (except racist Riley Cooper).

-- He traded LeSean McCoy for Kiko Alonso, who has struggled.

-- He gave Byron Maxwell, a system CB in Seattle whose play and stats were enhanced by a superior supporting cast, $10.5M annually, and he has predictably sucked.

-- He released Evan Mathis and Trent Cole, further weakening the team.

-- He also signed injury-prone players Ryan Matthews and Walter Thurmond. It's a miracle both of them lasted the entire season.

Chip Kelly deserved to be fired. He did everything in his power to make the Eagles terrible. In the end, this hurry-up option spread offense that he ran at Oregon doesn't work in the NFL. His offense was VERY predictable. Some members of the Redskins were calling out plays before the snap. Perhaps Philly can get a new head coach, rebuild, and clean up the mess Chip Kelly has left behind.

The biggest moves that made no sense to me was the Bradford deal. He was content that Foles wasn't the guy(I agree). Honestly that trade in the draft to move up to get Mariota was just not happening. There weren't a strong pool of free agent QBs so he traded for Bradford because I guess in his eyes he was willing to gamble on Bradford than deal with Foles another season.

Ryan Matthews. In a league where Backs are a dime a dozen, he would be a free agent in 2015 if it weren't for the Eagles. He was terrible in San Diego and terrible this season.

Does anyone know the update on Josh Gordon? He should be eligible to play next season and was the only bright spot on that team at Receiver.

Taylor Gabriel and Travis Benjamin both have the potential to be #2 and #3 receivers. They're not real talented, but they're not bad for a team that's rebuilding.

And I doubt Josh Gordon is ever coming back. He just has too many off-the-field problems.

Back to college with you, fuckboy.

Yes, in college, a coach can get away with that 'total authoritarian despot who demands absolute control over everything and doesn't need to explain himself to anyone' crap.

Sure, those weirdo personnel moves he made in the off-season turned out badly, yet I believe the fact his players and the rest of the staff couldn't stand him pretty much guaranteed he wasn't going to stick. True, you don't have to be liked but you still have to be able to relate to the people around you.

Way to go Chip, you turned a once thriving Eagles team into the laughing stock it is today. IN ONE SEASON! I've never heard of a head coach doing that in all my years of being a fan of football. Back to college for you, ya nutjob!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back