Cheering for another team

Ferbian

Has Returned.
During the World Cup, I've been seeing a lot of people cheering for specific nations, nations they're not a part of, even if it's just for one match, or through the whole tournament, the fact is that people are cheering for them, even if they're not from their nation.

The same goes for teams that are playing in your countries league, I'm from a Danish town called Kolding, our soccer team absolutely stinks, and is not in the SAS League (Danish top league) where when I followed the league, I cheered for a team called Brøndby I.F.

Therefore I ask you: What makes you cheer for a team that is not your own country, or home town team?

Personally I cheer for the teams that have my favorite player, while it doesn't sound very loyal to the team, as opposed to the player, it still has a large reason to why I cheer for a team, I'm a Liverpool fan, have been for years, I cheer for it mostly due to Steven Gerrard, but have grown to love the whole team, and will stay a fan of them even if Gerrard leaves, or retires.

But I would still become a fan of the club Gerrard then would go to, the same goes for Real Madrid, I became a fan due to Raul and Casillas, Raul doesn't play anymore, yet I'm still a fan.

So how about you?

Umm ferbs Raul does still play.Anyway my teams are Glasgow Rangers(my home team) and Chelsea(they were my english team even before i knew there was a connection between them and rangers.) Other than that i do not cheer for any other team unless.
A. The result benefits my team or B. I am going to win money on the outcome,in my eyes if someone has a team for each league they either dont have a passion for a team in there own league or they are glory hunters.

Umm ferbs Raul does still play.

My bad, I believe I must have mistaken the fact that he retired from the Spanish national team, as opposed to Real Madrid.

But I do agree, you don't necessarily need to cheer for a team in every single league, as I mentioned I only have Real Madrid, Liverpool and used to have Brøndby I.F.

Danish league soccer, hell Danish soccer in general is boring because there's nothing big about it anymore, and our national team is embarrassing, so it kinda eliminates my reason to want to cheer for them, but even with that as the LD guy's know, I'm supporting Spain through the tournament, and as I mentioned, even if it's just once, I'm still curious to why people choose to cheer for them.

Because I know I can sit down and watch a match between two teams I couldn't care less about, for example a match like South Africa vs Uruguay last night, it was a great game, but I was indifferent on the winners.

And opposite of that, I can sit down and enjoy a game of two teams I love, Italy vs France in 2006 for example, where I yet again were somewhat indifferent about the winners, cause I wanted both to win.

I am scottish and i support rangers,its not exactly entertaining but its the team i have supported since i was a lad and scotland are'nt much better but i still support them through thick and thin.You obviously are'nt a true footy fan Ferbian.

I am scottish and i support rangers,its not exactly entertaining but its the team i have supported since i was a lad and scotland are'nt much better but i still support them through thick and thin.You obviously are'nt a true footy fan Ferbian.

I think that's something that can be discussed, whether not supporting your home team makes you a true fan, no matter the sport or club.

As I said about Kolding, we're nothing, we're in the lower end of the mid division, a division who doesn't get televised matches, and I would never consider purchasing any tickets to go watch.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, I'm a loyal Liverpool fan, as much as I can knowing I don't have the chance of watching anything properly of the Premiere League, but nonetheless I follow Liverpool in Champion's League, and I follow the teams I cheer for in the World Cup.

As long as you can be loyal to one team, no matter the placement of the team, I don't see how you cannot be a true fan, and I don't see why you have to cheer for your home town team as well, I guess it's about nationalism and pride, but what is pride when your team can't accomplish anything worth bragging about?

Definetly has to do with the specific player, i.e. no reason to be a Cavs fan if it wasn't for LeBron. In fact, I'm sure I'll be rooting for his team wherever he ends up this summer. Same goes for guys that played for my team in college. For instance, I'll for DeJuan Blair and the Spurs, Sam Young and the Grizzlies, Aaron Gray and wherever the fuck he is at the moment (Hornets?), etc, etc.

For the world cup, I've definetly been pulling for the underdogs throughout, like Switzerland yesterday and South Africa as the host. Also, teams that are just plain interesting/intriguing, like Ivory Coast and Argentina with the best player and a crazy Maradonna as coach.

Of course, all of this is null and void once they face, say, the US.

I always like to see Italy do well, I have ever since World Cup 94 in the US, when Italy lost on penalties to the final.

I was 7 at the time and it was the 1st time I started to get into football, and became a big fan of Roberto Baggio and Paolo Maldini from Italy during the tournament. I remember staying up late and eating pizza (italian food! haha) supporting the Azzuri during the final, and I was in tears when Baggio missed the final penalty.

Now I am very patriotic, and LOVE England and would never support another team above my home nation, but if it doesnt affect England, then I always hope Italy win. It was nice to see them win the last world cup :)

Always been a big fan of Italian players such as Maldini, Baggio, Totti, Del Piero, Inzaghi, Buffon, Signori

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back