• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cheat Codes

Trill Co$by

Believes in The Shield!
There was once a thread about this, but it was a long time ago and I really don't feel like digging back in time to find it. Anyway, for the longest time I've heard people sit around their consoles of choice, play their game of choice, and no matter how easy or how hard the game is, there will always be that one person (or more) who has to use Cheat Codes.

In my honest opinion, Cheat Codes shouldn't even be put into games for the simple fact that they take all the fun out of playing the games for yourself. Perfect example, my brother found out about the GameShark for the greatness of a console that was the N64... and with this gameshark, there was literally nothing that wasn't at my brother's fingertips and for months whenever he and I would play a game he would always have to put that damn thing into the console.

My problem with it is that if it's meant to be in the game, then there would obviously be a way to unlock it. And after I've unlocked it, I honestly feel more rewarded than if I had to get them from a stupid button command.

Another example is when I'm playing Saints Row 2, and I'm the middle of a game that I've got literally all the way to the last boss with... and just as I'm about to finish the game, some dumbass twat comes in with cheats on and prevents me from completing the game to 100%. Recently I've gotten better at locking my games to private, and I actually finally completed the game with 100% but the simple fact that when someone ruins your game by using cheat codes that you didn't even want, it literally takes the fun out of things.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on Cheat Codes? Do they hurt the overall gameplay, in your opinion, or do you not care?

Depends on the game, and whether I am playing it for the first time or not. If It's a first time through, I try to avoid cheats whenever possible...but, if I am replaying the game just for fun, knowing that I have already finished it legitimately, I don't think that using cheat codes is wrong at all. Then, out comes god mode, unlimited ammo, level 99, etc. Sometimes its just fun going through the game, knowing you can't get hurt, and just maul enemies. It's therapeutic, lol Sometimes you just want to PLAY.

I highly disagree with this. Cheat Codes are fun. You dont have to use them. As you mentioned, there are unlockables in the game. So if you have ways to "cheat" in the game I dont see why you wouldnt have ways outside the game.

This would be the same as arguing "Why have downloadable content instead of just having everything be unlockable in the game?"

I personally love cheat codes for fun, but dont rely on them and that's what they're for and should be available.

I mean the makers of these games make cheat codes for them, that you find on various sites and then you have things like Gameshark that you just put in and select what you want to use.

They want you to have fun.

I will usually play the game first as is, then see what fun things are in the cheatcodes afterwards or a mixture of the two if it's a game that has cheats like GTA where you arent necessarily cheating. Some cheats are simply for entertainment purposes and dont serve a "beat the game" or advantage purpose

Grand Theft Auto to this day has some of the best cheat codes I've seen and lots to mess around with

There are loads of funny cheats and not just cheats to make you a monster in the game.

Just have fun with it.

I don't mind cheat codes. As stated before, they exist purely so the player can mess around and you don't have to use them so they can't really hurt the gameplay. I personally don't use them unless I'm screwing around. Though I don't condone using them in any serious competitions.

My favorite cheats are Grand Theft Auto's. When I need a break from the main objectives, I'll just enter some cheats, dropping some tanks, arming civilians with weapons, and go full riot mode. That never gets old. That's the definition of cheat codes to me: some broken, wacky fun that you wouldn't otherwise get playing normally.

Back in the day I had one of those Xplorer cartridges you used to be able to plug into the back of the first Playstation (Gameshark) in the US.

But now I dont use codes Id rather do the hard work to complete a game, and on some games if ya use a cheat you cant get the achievements (which I think is good)

My youngest son always looks for cheats when he buys a new game, and now has starting using this thing called Modio, but I think cheating ruins the fun of the game as stated in previous posts.

Cheat codes are fine when used in small doses. They can be fun ways to see some cool or strange things happen in a game. When someone relies too much on them though, then they are not a hardcore gamer. The best gamers out there can get everything in Goldeneye unlocked without the "Bulletproof Bond" cheat for example.

I still remember Game Genie for the older consoles. In Super Mario Kart it turned Donkey Kong JR into a heavyweight version of Toad. Then there were all of the codes in Final Fantasy 6 that unlocked all sorts of items or abilities at the start of the game. I also recall relying on codes to get Pokemon like Mew or Celebi due to the "events" being nearly impossible to get to. Codes are fine if used for fun or little things but not to beat a game because then it takes the fun and challenge out of playing it for real.

Back in the day I had one of those Xplorer cartridges you used to be able to plug into the back of the first Playstation (Gameshark) in the US.

But now I dont use codes Id rather do the hard work to complete a game, and on some games if ya use a cheat you cant get the achievements (which I think is good)

My youngest son always looks for cheats when he buys a new game, and now has starting using this thing called Modio, but I think cheating ruins the fun of the game as stated in previous posts.

If your youngest gets caught out cheating online [Modio is easily detectable in many cases, as progress is stored online as well, hence using a save editor to gain achievements or unlock things can leave obvious time discrepancies] there's every chance the Live account will get banned, there's also a damn good chance of having that wonderful "Cheater" banner emblazoned across his gamercard.

I've got nothing against it, like, except in online multiplayer. But editing saves is frowned upon by MS as it's technically a violation of your terms of service.

I personally believe that everything in a game should be available to experience, regardless of the skill level of the player. Dara O'Briain makes a damn good point about this, it's like when you read a book, it would be ludicrous to test you at the end of every chapter before you would be allowed to turn the page, y'know?

Cheat Codes do not ruin a game. As said many times aboved you don't havte to use them. Plus whenever I go to look up some I always find useful ways to get throught the game.

One of the greatest moments in a video game ( for me) happened to me when I used the action replay to walk through walls in Pokemon Pearl. My brither caught palkia 9n a POKE BALL, not great ball, or ultra ball just a regular poke ball that level 6 pokemon can escape. Also some games need them because they are too confusing (I didnt unlock a single character in Marvel: ultimate alliance until I used a cheat code, and I was over half-way through the game.)

If you do not want to use them just don't use em and take the challenge for yourself.:)

Cheat Codes do not ruin a game. As said many times aboved you don't havte to use them. Plus whenever I go to look up some I always find useful ways to get throught the game.

One of the greatest moments in a video game ( for me) happened to me when I used the action replay to walk through walls in Pokemon Pearl. My brither caught palkia 9n a POKE BALL, not great ball, or ultra ball just a regular poke ball that level 6 pokemon can escape. Also some games need them because they are too confusing (I didnt unlock a single character in Marvel: ultimate alliance until I used a cheat code, and I was over half-way through the game.)

If you do not want to use them just don't use em and take the challenge for yourself.:)

Yeah I gotta agree, it disappoints me that many modern games don't contain any handy cheat codes, because they are entirely optional and take nothing away from the game if you choose not to use them, however they do allow the less skilled players to experience everything the game has to offer, and that's definitely a good thing. If someone pays for a game then it logically follows that they have the right to play all of it.

Sorry but anyone who uses cheat codes or walkthroughs have an extreme lack of skill when it comes to playing video games or are too lazy to play the game as it was originally intended.

The only time a cheat code should be used is AFTER the game is completed, after you beat the game and you want to explore a little more and have some extra fun with the game theen there is nothing wrong with it (not that there is anything wrong with it anyways I just don't believe in it).

Even when people use cheat codes or waltkthroughs just to get past a hard part because they are frustrated I don't agree with it. Some video games are meant to be hard and can test your patience but that's all part of the fun if you ask me and when you finally beat that hard part you feel a lot more accomplished then if you used a cheat.

I will say that cheat codes can be fun to use, but if they are used to complete the game in anyway then I suggest you get some skill or stop being so lazy. If you use them to just mess around then knock yourself out. For example if I want to mess around in GTA I will use a cheat code to load up my arsenal then go ape shit on the cops and pedestrians but just to mess around and have fun.

I feel games should be beaten the way they were originally intended but with games these days games are so robust you don't even need to play the story mode, you can just mess around and have fun and when a gamer does that cheat codes can make it a lot funner it some cases.

I am fine with cheat codes, as long as they are not used online to give someone an unfair advantage over other players, thats not fair.

But if you want to play the game on your own console using cheat codes, then why the hell not? Playing a game is meant to be fun, and if you have more fun by playing using cheat codes then thats up to you.

Yes, it may prevent you from completing the game in the way it was intended and having a sense of pride in doing so, but thats a decision you have to make. I woul regularly use cheats on GTA games to give myself alot of weapons. I know that is technically not the "right way" to play the game, but I found it much more enjoyable, so sue me!

I wouldn't claim to have completed the game without cheats, but when it comes down to it, its all about what you want to achieve. Do you feel the need to complete the game without cheating and feel that sense of achievement, or do you just want to have fun and take it less seriously? Either way, its just whichever way lets you enjoy the game the most.

All I can say is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start was part of my childhood. That is the first cheat code I ever used and I still remember it to this day.

I am not going to say what game it is for as you should all know that and if you don't, google it!

At any rate, I have no problem with cheat codes. What I used to do when I played video games a lot is I would use cheat codes to beat the game quickly, then I'd go back and play it without cheat codes. Most of my friends do that to. I had a Game Genie way back in the day (google that one too, youngsters) and I used the hell out of it at first then I lost interest.

Sorry but anyone who uses cheat codes or walkthroughs have an extreme lack of skill when it comes to playing video games or are too lazy to play the game as it was originally intended.

The only time a cheat code should be used is AFTER the game is completed, after you beat the game and you want to explore a little more and have some extra fun with the game theen there is nothing wrong with it (not that there is anything wrong with it anyways I just don't believe in it).

Even when people use cheat codes or waltkthroughs just to get past a hard part because they are frustrated I don't agree with it. Some video games are meant to be hard and can test your patience but that's all part of the fun if you ask me and when you finally beat that hard part you feel a lot more accomplished then if you used a cheat.
<snip>

Again this comes down to personal preference and skill level. Some people just suck at games. I used to be an appallingly bad gamer as a child, but still wanted to experience more than half a level of the games I saved up long and hard for. For me, cheat codes were the only way to see more of a lot of my games. Especially in the 8bit era, games were FUCKING HARD back then.

All I can say is up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start was part of my childhood. That is the first cheat code I ever used and I still remember it to this day.

I am not going to say what game it is for as you should all know that and if you don't, google it!

At any rate, I have no problem with cheat codes. What I used to do when I played video games a lot is I would use cheat codes to beat the game quickly, then I'd go back and play it without cheat codes. Most of my friends do that to. I had a Game Genie way back in the day (google that one too, youngsters) and I used the hell out of it at first then I lost interest.

Never owned Contra. Also, I always wanted a Game Genie after seeing the adverts, it wasn't until I had my N64 that I managed to pick up an Xplorer64. I had a lot of fun finding my own cheats with that thing. Simple stuff like altering timers, ammo, money, health values. It felt powerful at the time, because I was narrowing down the codes to find the values I needed for the cheats I wanted and I really enjoyed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back