Cena Region, East Rutherford Subregion, First Round:(10)Jerry Lawler vs.(23)Ul Dragon

Who Wins This Match?

• Jerry Lawler

• Ultimo Dragon

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the Cena Region, East Rutherford Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Continental Airlines Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey.

front.jpg

120911070514-jerry-lawler-story-top.jpg

#10. Jerry Lawler

Vs.

ultimo-dragon-j-crown.jpg

#23. Ultimo Dragon

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Two stars that had much success, but not really in the north of the United States. My money is on Lawler if for nothing else than his heel persona towards the twilight of his career delivered some of the funniest lines ever heard in wrestling. Lawler was a huge star in Memphis but was able to work as a heel so effectively after moving to the WWF. Dragon is cool and very accomplished, but to the majority he'll mostly be the guy in the meme forever.

My argument in this match is going to closely mirror what I said in the Liger/Blanchard match. Lawler was a mad genius when it came to heel psychology, and is way better than anyone ever remembers because of his time as a commentator, but he deserves a good run in one of these tournaments.

It's just not this year. Ultimo can do things that Lawler just didn't see in Memphis...ever. He'd keep up for the early part of the match, but Dragon was just too fast and too gifted for me to think he doesn't score the win here.

Personal feelings aside, I think this would be a great match. You get 1984 Jerry Lawler in the ring with 1994 Ultimo Dragon and I really can't call this one. Ultimo is on record as having had the most concurrent championships in prowrestling history, though most of them were junior-heavyweight titles. Lawler's championships have about the same amount of impact on me, he was a perennial champion in his territory and he held the AWA title when it meant something.

I give Lawler the edge for the quality of his championships, but I give Ultimo the edge for in-ring ability. Obviously Lawler can cut a better promo, though I'm reluctant to give him the edge in that regard because there were times when he took his promos way way wayyyy too far.

Undecided. Someone help me.

Cena region. So WWE. WWF. Lawler sucked Bret's toe there...

I think Ultimo.

The region doesn't mean anything concerning companies/eras, although you would be very correct, if that were the case. Lawler's run in WWF, and his successes or lack thereof, were built entirely on his career largely being behind him.

Dragon would have been a special attraction brought in to job to the King.

Lawler was the shit during his time. Dont let the shell he is now cloud your judgement. He wins this.

Meh I'll go with Lawler. He was the fucking man in Memphis and his accomplishments deserve a better showing.

People are underestimating Ultimo Dragon. The guy won championships in NJPW, WCW, and CMLL, was the most decorated champion of all time, and had one of the greatest repertoire of moves of anybody in history. He could put someone away with about 5 different finishers and 30 different signatures, and work every style imaginable. His career has spanned nearly 30 years.

Had WWE used UD like he SHOULD have been used, this would be a much easier decision. Still, I think Dragon ultimately takes it based on pure ability in the ring alone. I can't possibly put Jerry Lawler over UD in a wrestling match, so I'm going with Dragon.

Meh I'll go with Lawler. He was the fucking man in Memphis and his accomplishments deserve a better showing.

I really hate the "big in X" argument, but since you went there...Japan > Memphis. Mexico > Memphis.

Ultimo was a big deal in a number of places, while Lawler was huge in the South, and then fell flat on a national stage with the WWF. He was entertaining, but that was it.

I use the same argument every year for Lawler in the first round. I was 5 years old, my dad and granpa went to a local wrestling show and the main event was Lawler vs. Bill Dundee. I was sitting in the front row and had a soda that Lawler grabbed and used to pour on the head of Dundee. That moment is what made me a wrestling fan, and as such gives Lawler my vote.

Ultimo Dragon was a spectacular, innovative performer. Trained in different styles, he made a huge name for himself winning titles all over the world. He was amazing, one of the most decorated wrestlers on the planet. For some reason, that just never really translated over to the United States....which happens to be where this match is taking place.

As successful as he was worldwide, he never rose above the midcard status here in America. Near all of his matches and success were in the cruiserweight division. He had some exciting moments, some thrilling matches, but never really made an impact stateside.

Jerry Lawler, on the other hand, has had a massive impact on the wrestling world. Some may want to dismiss him as just a territory wrestler, but it was a very strong promotion and had some incredibly hot crowds. The King was a principal figure in one of the greatest and most shocking angles in wrestling history, garnering mainstream attention from his program with Andy Kaufman. He was an outstanding interview and had tons of charisma. Lawler carried the entire territory on his shoulders for decades, beating some of the premier wrestlers in the country. Take a look at the list of just some of the wrestlers Lawler has defeated and it proves that the talent he faced was of very high quality:

Andre the Giant, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, The Undertaker, Kerry Von Erich, Rick Rude, Jeff Jarrett, Nick Bockwinkel, Curt Hennig, Dory Funk, Jr., Bam Bam Bigelow, Shawn Michaels, Raven, Scott Hall(in a tournament), Ric Flair, Road Dogg, Dusty Rhodes, Mike Awesome, Harley Race, Kane, Lex Luger, Tully Blanchard, Billy Graham, Steve Austin, Sid Vicious. Does this who's who of wrestling legends sound familiar? It should; these are all guys taking place in the tournament WZ is using to determine the best of all-time. Lawler has beaten all of them at some point in his career. That is just a list of the ones he defeated outside the WWF. He beat several more in tag matches. Jerry Lawler has taken down a fair chunk of the wrestlers in this tournament, some of the greatest of all-time--he can beat Ultimo Dragon, too.

If this tournament was in Memphis, I may pick him to win the whole dang thing. Not only is he a legend, but he is one of the more accomplished wrestlers ever seen here in America and has proven he can beat the very best in the business. Lawler is smart, sly, experienced and able to take a lot of punishment. He may get frustrated by Ultimo's quick offense but he knows every trick in the book and will pick a spot and then capitalize. If the ref gets distracted even briefly, Lawler hits Dragon with a fireball and finishes him with a fist drop off the ropes.

Jerry Lawler is by all accounts an incredibly kind man who had a great mind for the business. His moment with Andy Kaufman on the Late Night with David Letterman show was one of the biggest moments in TV history.

My main memory of Ultimo Dragon comes from Colt Cabana's podcast where both Daniels and Colt mention the fact that Dragon is a dick and pretty much everyone agrees.

Lawler's overall impact trumps Dragon's (admittedly very impressive) accolades for me, and as such I vote for The King (to almost certainly get knocked out in the next round. Sorry, Mr. Lawler.)

I really hate the "big in X" argument, but since you went there...Japan > Memphis. Mexico > Memphis.

Ultimo was a big deal in a number of places, while Lawler was huge in the South, and then fell flat on a national stage with the WWF. He was entertaining, but that was it.

[YOUTUBE]11T_-k7ckrg[/YOUTUBE]

Kayfabe man. What a magical thing.

[YOUTUBE]11T_-k7ckrg[/YOUTUBE]

Kayfabe man. What a magical thing.

You don't think any part of the national audience following that was tuning in almost entirely because of Andy Kaufmann? I'm not saying Lawler was a bum to anyone who didn't live within 50 miles of Memphis, but he certainly wasn't the star that he was in that region. When he got to WWF, it was based on how great he was, and I don't take that away from him at all...but he just wasn't as good at even the same heel tactics that he used down south (aside from the Bret feud).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back