• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Can we get back to the good old days of enjoying the show?

robertg316

Try Lacing My Boots!
Now, right off the bat, I am a die-hard WWE fan. Have been for 20 years and always will be. So much so that during the Monday Night Wars i genuinely hated WCW due to my mark loyalty (although im still not the biggest fan of WCW).

The question that im asking is that after months of the IWC and forums on this site begging WWE to ditch the PG rating,as fans of WWE,the ones that watch it week in week out,the ones that pay money to go see the live events and the ones that pay for PPV's every month -

Can we please now accept PG?

Iv had my own issues with the change and iv been reminising about the 90's but surely now its time to start enjoying our wrestling again as opposed to pointing out that it isnt like it was in the old days.

So in closing im asking you wrestling fans out there,real proper fans of WWE,can we all move on and get behind the company that we grew up with? Or in your case, has the WWE now robbed you of the love you once had by changing its product for the sake of more money?

It's not a matter of PG or not being PG. It's a matter of being of high quality and of low quality.

PG has next to nothing to do with that. CHIKARA does PG wrestling quite well.

You can't just enjoy wrestling "just because". If it's good, it's good. If it isn't, it isn't, and no amount of trying to turn your brain off will make it work.

Also, IMO, if you absolutely believe you need coarse language and "TV-14" content to enjoy wrestling, than you're the one that needs to grow up, NOT the kids.

Just for the sake of disclosure, I don't really watch Raw at all (even if I do host a wrestling podcast), but it has nothing to do with it being PG.

Stand up for PG!

No thanks lol. Like DJM said, the product isn't bad directly BECAUSE of PG. Look at TNA. Copious amounts of blood, swearing like a 12 year old kid who just learned a new bad word, does that make it automatically better just for having adult content? Hell no.

I'm entertained by plenty of other things on TV that aren't rated TV MA or anything like that.

"PG" has just become the common way that we all refer to the current product. I don't think we all literally mean to say that the PG issue itself is the root of all evil.

So sure, I'll "accept" PG, I already have. I'd also like to accept some better booking/writing, and episodes of RAW that don't put me to sleep.

I think you both are missing the point of what he is saying. Let me translate; "Stop bitching and moaning about the product and just enjoy it". Or just don't watch it.

I still fail to see why people complain that "RAW is shit" or as the previous poster said "puts me to sleep" . For fuck sakes just stop watching it if its that bad. And don't give me loyalty bullshit. It's wrestling, not your girlfriend.I've had issues with the fact that there is a bit of a younger type audience being appealed to, but I've gotten over it and enjoy things just as much as ever.

Can we please now accept PG?

If you've been a wrestling fan for over 20 years, then you must realize that it has always been a PG rated product. That is unless you are over 40 and started watching in your twenties.

I remember it being on Saturday afternoon's, a PG prime time slot. Yes I've been watching longer than you have. So to come out now and ask for us to accept it, is kind of ridiculous, considering it's always been that way.

So in closing im asking you wrestling fans out there,real proper fans of WWE,can we all move on and get behind the company that we grew up with? Or in your case, has the WWE now robbed you of the love you once had by changing its product for the sake of more money?

Just what the hell is a "real proper fan"? That's insulting to say the least. I for example still watch despite the fact that it's going downhill, and has been for a long time. The product has changed, that's because the wrestlers have changed. We don't have a Stone Cold or a Rock anymore, different wrestler's bring a different dimension to the product, some good, some bad.

I have a problem with the lazy booking that runs rampant in the WWE right now and the almost seemingly endless amount of PPV's that rehash each other over and over again. Give the fans good booking, decent storylines and great PPV's and everyone's happy. Until that happens, the complaints will keep coming. Fans that don't say anything and let it go are the ones you should be concerned about, not the ones that take the time to actually open their mouths. These are the guys who really love wrestling and want to see it stay around.

lol! Why do people compare CHIKARA and WWE? Because they're both PG styles? CHIKARA isn't aimed at children. They like to do Comedy. and their wrestling is a hell of a lot better than anything in WWE in the longest time.

People aren't going to enjoy WWE because the product just isn't very good right now.

It's not a matter of PG or not being PG. It's a matter of being of high quality and of low quality.

PG has next to nothing to do with that. CHIKARA does PG wrestling quite well.

You can't just enjoy wrestling "just because". If it's good, it's good. If it isn't, it isn't, and no amount of trying to turn your brain off will make it work.

Also, IMO, if you absolutely believe you need coarse language and "TV-14" content to enjoy wrestling, than you're the one that needs to grow up, NOT the kids.

No need to write my opinion, it matches yours completely.

Any fan out there that blames the PG Rating for the low-quality TV that WWE is producing is a fuckin' moron. If you don't like it, it's not the PG Rating, it's WWE itself.

Personally, I don't like WWE anymore. I detest it, I can't stand it, I don't agree with a lot of things they do, it's bromidic, the wrestling is a complete zero. I tried watching it "just because". I tried many other ways. I tried watching it like a kid, believing that it's real and really getting myself into the characters, I really did, and couldn't. I just hate that fucking company. One man's opinion.

You can tell who the true wrestling fans are by reading some of the comments.Just like some people have said if you don't like it stop watching it nobody is forcing you to watch it. I have accepted the PG rating especially since my niece watches it with me sometimes. I don't want her to see a bunch of guys cusing at each other and beating each other to a bloody pulp. That is the reason why I don't want her seeing TNA.

The wwe is always changing so maybe one day we won't be in the pg era anymore, but if we are still in it say 20 years from now I'll still enjoy it. I don't care about the rating as long as it is entertaing. I think that the attitude era spolied some of you and you are expecting that and you can't let it go. So you can't see how the WWE is still good today just in a different way. If you want something like that attitude era watch TNA. I watch WWE and TNA so I can see two great forms of wrestling.

If you are a true wrestling fan you won't care about the rating and you will love it regardless. I'm a true wrestling fan becuase I don't care about the rating I just care about seeing wrestling. You guys are expecting to much you expect things that happened in the attitude era. I didn't see a lot of the attitude era because I started watching in 2002 when I was 7. The attitude era was a great time in WWE/F, but like I said WWE changes and you just have to accept that, and either stay a fan or just don't watch it at all.

No need to write my opinion, it matches yours completely.

Any fan out there that blames the PG Rating for the low-quality TV that WWE is producing is a fuckin' moron. If you don't like it, it's not the PG Rating, it's WWE itself.

Personally, I don't like WWE anymore. I detest it, I can't stand it, I don't agree with a lot of things they do, it's bromidic, the wrestling is a complete zero. I tried watching it "just because". I tried many other ways. I tried watching it like a kid, believing that it's real and really getting myself into the characters, I really did, and couldn't. I just hate that fucking company. One man's opinion.

Well if you dislike it so much then don't watch it and shut the f*ck up already because I get tired of your sorry ass coming in here and bitching about it.

I have never had a problem with the WWE going back to a PG Rating like they had in the 80s and early 90's. People have forgotten what the meaning of PG is which is sad IMO. It means Parental Guidance which means alot of what is on the Shows is not aimed at Kids. TV-14 or whatever is not really needed in Wrestling,it was fine during the Attitude Era because they needed it since WCW was on the verge of putting them out of business. Yes it was great and a fun time for the Industry but that time is gone and its not coming back. So either accept it or don't watch it,simple as that.

Geesh WWEIsLife2, you are an angry man....(or woman)......anyhow, PG or AE isnt the prob, IMO, it is simply the wrestlers they have now are not as interesting as they were back then. John Cena, Edge, Jericho and of course the most awesome of all HHH are still awesome, their are a couple of others that are okay at entertaining but for the most part they are boring. I seldom watch now, but I think I have the right to complain as I want to go back to watching it every week (which I wont do until Trips returns), they need better booking and stories, and we as the fans have the right to be heard.

No we can't. Why? Because people have become so stupid that they feel the need to disect every little fucking detail put out for their entertainment. If one person isn't getting pushed there will be a thread on here clamoring for it. Or we need new blood or the new blood isn't ready. People don't know what they want so they can't enjoy a god damn thing. Personally, I love the WWE's product lately. It's been solid shows (nothing great but nothing horrible) and they have kept me entertained. Once people realize what they want and stick to it, their enjoyment will rise.

You can tell who the true wrestling fans are by reading some of the comments.Just like some people have said if you don't like it stop watching it nobody is forcing you to watch it. I have accepted the PG rating especially since my niece watches it with me sometimes. I don't want her to see a bunch of guys cusing at each other and beating each other to a bloody pulp. That is the reason why I don't want her seeing TNA.

The wwe is always changing so maybe one day we won't be in the pg era anymore, but if we are still in it say 20 years from now I'll still enjoy it. I don't care about the rating as long as it is entertaing. I think that the attitude era spolied some of you and you are expecting that and you can't let it go. So you can't see how the WWE is still good today just in a different way. If you want something like that attitude era watch TNA. I watch WWE and TNA so I can see two great forms of wrestling.

If you are a true wrestling fan you won't care about the rating and you will love it regardless. I'm a true wrestling fan becuase I don't care about the rating I just care about seeing wrestling. You guys are expecting to much you expect things that happened in the attitude era. I didn't see a lot of the attitude era because I started watching in 2002 when I was 7. The attitude era was a great time in WWE/F, but like I said WWE changes and you just have to accept that, and either stay a fan or just don't watch it at all.

If a true fan is someone who watches wrestling when it's downright awful, whether it's PG or not, than no. I guess I'm not.

Bad is bad. TNA isn't PG and it's awful. WWE is PG and it's pretty unspectacular most of the time.

People that try to claim loyalty and "trueness" are sheep with Stockholm Syndrome.

See? Name-calling doesn't get anybody anywhere.

If a true fan is someone who watches wrestling when it's downright awful, whether it's PG or not, than no. I guess I'm not.

Bad is bad. TNA isn't PG and it's awful. WWE is PG and it's pretty unspectacular most of the time.

People that try to claim loyalty and "trueness" are sheep with Stockholm Syndrome.

See? Name-calling doesn't get anybody anywhere.

TNA isn't awful I think it is awesome my favorite is the TNA world champion right now and I'm really enjoying all of the storylines. WWE may be PG, but it is still great and I will always love the WWE no matter what.

Also yea I guess your not a wrestling fan. True wrestling fans stick with it regardless because they know that it will get better, you just have to give it time.

Okay that was kinda mean and I'm not a sheep with Stockholm Syndrome I'm just a wrestling fan that loves wwe and tna and will always stand up for them.

See what who is name calling besides you?

No we can't. Why? Because people have become so stupid that they feel the need to disect every little fucking detail put out for their entertainment. If one person isn't getting pushed there will be a thread on here clamoring for it. Or we need new blood or the new blood isn't ready. People don't know what they want so they can't enjoy a god damn thing. Personally, I love the WWE's product lately. It's been solid shows (nothing great but nothing horrible) and they have kept me entertained. Once people realize what they want and stick to it, their enjoyment will rise.

This is the best answer to the question.

No one is ever satisfied with what's going on. Either someone is getting pushed when they shouldn't, or they pushed the wrong way, or they're stale etc. Whatever the WWE decides to do is shit on by someone here. I agree with CH in that while it hasn't been the greatest, the WWE is putting out a solid product. I've enjoy what I'm watching, and when people stop letting other people's thoughts shape how they see things then it will be much easier to enjoy the product.

TNA isn't awful I think it is awesome my favorite is the TNA world champion right now and I'm really enjoying all of the storylines. WWE may be PG, but it is still great and I will always love the WWE no matter what.

Also yea I guess your not a wrestling fan. True wrestling fans stick with it regardless because they know that it will get better, you just have to give it time.

Okay that was kinda mean and I'm not a sheep with Stockholm Syndrome I'm just a wrestling fan that loves wwe and tna and will always stand up for them.

See what who is name calling besides you?

I'll ask this.

How long are people supposed to wait? Are the people that saw what TNA was from 2004 to 2007 supposed to just keep waiting? Are the people that know WWE could be a lot better than it is supposed to just keep waiting for that one Wrestlemania where they actually do go all out?

How long?

If people just keep putting up with bad wrestling, it never gives the wrestling business any incentive to be better.

I'll ask this.

How long are people supposed to wait? Are the people that saw what TNA was from 2004 to 2007 supposed to just keep waiting? Are the people that know WWE could be a lot better than it is supposed to just keep waiting for that one Wrestlemania where they actually do go all out?

How long?

If people just keep putting up with bad wrestling, it never gives the wrestling business any incentive to be better.

Okay what I meant was people can give there ideas and comments of how to make the wwe and tna better, but then you can wait for wwe and tna to make it better. I think that the wwe and tna are getting better.

Geesh WWEIsLife2, you are an angry man....(or woman)......anyhow, PG or AE isnt the prob, IMO, it is simply the wrestlers they have now are not as interesting as they were back then. John Cena, Edge, Jericho and of course the most awesome of all HHH are still awesome, their are a couple of others that are okay at entertaining but for the most part they are boring. I seldom watch now, but I think I have the right to complain as I want to go back to watching it every week (which I wont do until Trips returns), they need better booking and stories, and we as the fans have the right to be heard.

It's not the wrestler's fault at all, they are out there night after night trying their best to entertain the fans. Nor is it the supposed, all of a sudden PG rating (even though it's always been there, but some just noticed it) eta.

Vince doesn't want wrestler's being bigger than the company. Since Hogan, Austin and The Rock, haven't you noticed that most are now scripted. Long gone are the says where they could let lose on the stick and be themselves. To Vince, the company is everything, and no one should be above it.

As I said before lazy booking and too many PPV's are ruining what should be a good product. The WWE has an outstanding roster, sometimes I feel they just don't know how to use their wrestler's to their best potential.

If the WWE never announced the fact that they're going PG, would you guys even notice? The swearing, the chair shots, all of this shit was used so passively, I sure as hell wouldn't have noticed their disappearance if it hadn't been announced all over the internet.

I don't understand the fascination with the IWC and PG. The quality of the show has gone up. The complexity of the storylines has gone up. The wrestling skill has increased to offset the absence of all the shit you have to rely on when you have no wrestling talent. Sure, blood can sometimes add to the match's drama. But it's also extremely unnecessary, and not worth the performer's health. And saying the word "asshole" every three words makes you sound unintelligent.

The WWE hasn't suddenly turned into a children's show. The only reason the WWE has gone PG is to attract more sponsors in a tough financial situation, most likely with the added perk of helping Linda McMahon along with her political career.

Enough with the PG-bitching already. Nothing significant changed. You're watching the same show you've been watching with the unnecessary fat cut off.

Wrestling has historically been "PG" throughout virtually it's entire existence. I was born in 1980 and grew up watching wrestling. Anybody that watched wrestling during that time, or even the 70s, 60s and even further on back knows that it was PG rated. I have no problem with PG content as it's perfectly possible to have a quality PG show and be entertained.

The people that continually bash the PG rating are those that, in my opinion, are the easiest to please. All a wrestler has to do is say a curse word and they'll jump up and down with excitement as if they won the lottery. As far as "edgier" storylines go, I've got no problem with them if they're actually edgy instead of mediocre stories that the commentators try desperately to put over as edgy. For instance, in TNA, Jeff Hardy is calling himself the Anti-Christ of Professional Wrestling and lots of TNA fanboys are practically creaming themselves because of it. Do something "Anti-Christish" and maybe I'll get on board.

When it comes to quality, however, it's always going to be entirely subjective. If someone watches WWE and legitimately doesn't like what they're seeing, I've no problem with them giving voice to that opinion. Half the point of these forums is for fans to discuss what they like, what they don't like, what they think should be done and how to do them. The WWE isn't perfect, nor do I expect it to be. I don't need wrestlers to swear in order for them to cut good promos. If they do, that's fine if it actually adds something to the promo and isn't just swearing for the sake of it. I don't need to watch women acting like hookers and lap dancers. I have no problem watching that, however, but it's no big issue to me if that's not what a company wants its women to be portrayed.

I do enjoy the WWE product. Like any fan, there are of course going to be times I wish they did one thing instead of another, pushed another wrestler rather than another, didn't end a match a certain way, wish they didn't do certain feuds or storylines, etc. Being a fan is accepting that the WWE isn't a fantasy league, and that's a concept that many among the IWC just haven't been able to grasp or accept.

If you take this year out of the last five years, I'm sorry to say but wrestling has been pretty shitty. We've experienced some of the most boring years to date from 2006 to 2009. Sure there have been a few gems here and there like the HBK vs Jericho feud and the CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy feud but at most times it has been pretty boring. Cena has dominated the title scene, lost perhaps a handful of times and has had the same feud with different guys over and over again. The world titles have lost prestige after changing hands 3453 times over the last five years. The midcard belts and tag team titles mean nothing. I'd love to see some guys try and defend all this.

But I agree with the fact that the PG rating has nothing to do with anything. Its a case of poor and lazy booking. So I would like to end by saying that you are gonna get the good old days of wrestling back because of the direction wrestling has taken over the course of last year. The TV rating is too irrelavant a thing to make a fuss about and PG lovers are just as bad as PG haters.

To answer your title's question OP, no; We can not go back to the good old days of enjoying the show.

People have become too demanding of the product at hand and expect 5-star worthy storylines to come out of the WWE (a company that's had more than 20 years of scripts, original characters, and angles) every-single-time they tune in. It's not possible so people will criticize what they see because let's face it; the internet has spawned trolls.

You can't please everyone. If CM Punk (an IWC favorite of last year) somehow found himself in a match with Randy Orton and beat him for the gold, there will be those select few that will bitch about it. They will say things like "The Feud had no build" or whatever.

We are too damn fickle for our own good. Bottom line.

Now as for the question you asked in your thread, the PG Era has absolutely shit to do with the product. Through this particular Era we have already witnessed Shawn Michaels vs. Taker (Twice), regarded as perhaps the best matches to date. We got to watch a group of mediocre wrestlers (at the time) destroy the flagship show and dub themselves "Nexus". Another thing to come out of this was the choice of putting a tweener over the top face for a number of months (Randy Orton).

The PG demographic works. I have stated to many people how wrestling is more carnival-oriented than anything else. Families eat that up. It's good for business and can be watched by anyone. How the hell can that not be good?

People whine too much. There are still people not over the Attitude Era or even The Montreal Screwjob. It's sad. I want to watch WWE and come here and praise the product when their highlight was a tea time skit instead of a titty dance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back