Calgary Region, Philly Subregion: First Round: (5) Lou Thesz vs. (28) Hillbilly Jim

Who Wins This Match

• Lou Thesz

• Hillbilly Jim

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a first round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the First Union Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

PHL_First_Union_Center_4.jpg

#5 Lou Thesz

thesz.jpg

Vs.

#28 Hillbilly Jim

jim.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

I'd like to know the one silly bastard that voted for Hillbilly Jim. There should be no doubt that Mr. Thesz advances. Lou Thesz should advance VERY FAR, if not make it to the finals. Lou Thesz is one step down from Ric Flair as the closest thing to an actual walking God.

I voted for Hillybilly Jim. His technical prowess, amazing agility and ability to win any match up would over take the overrated Lou Thesz.

Not really. Just voted for Jim to be one of the bad asses to actually vote for him in this landslide of a match up, lol. Obviously Thesz destroys Jim, but hey, I wanted to be a rebel. Not like Jim has a chance in the first place.

Hillbilly Jim was far more popular than he really ever should have been, but as I recall he wasn't the first man to unify wrestling audiences across America, nor was he the guy who invented a great deal of what we see in modern wrestling. Thesz was, and this is an easy win.

Lou Thesz is a living legend in this sport and brang wrestling nation wide and all respect to a hillbilly but he doesn't have any chance to beat a top 5 best technical wrestler of all time.

Jim is a hick with a ton of power, but when you break down both individuals' careers, the fact is - Hillbilly Jim was a comedy performer. (think Santino, even) I can't really recall anything, or any match, in which Jim did something impressive or won anything worth mentioning.

Thesz is an icon, and while I don't know much of his career - I know enough to understand he trumps every bit of anything Jim could possibly be remembered for.

Lou Thesz is a true wrestling legend, not some stupid hick with a ridiculous beard and a silly hat.

I have never been a fan of "hillbilly" type characters in wrestling, and it shocks me that Hillbilly Jim ever became as big a star as he did. Maybe the actual wrestler was talented, but the gimmick itself sucked big time.

Thesz basically invented alot of the things we see in the business today, and was still going looooong after most other grapplers call it a day. An icon of professional wrestling, its a walkover for Lou

You can take much of what I said about Bob Orton and apply it to Hillbilly Jim. The guy is literally nothing apart from his association with Hulk Hogan. He was one of Hogan's flunkies in the mid 80s, it made him a lot of money and he gained a great deal of residual popularity that lasts to this day.

Lou Thesz is...well I mean it's Lou Thesz. Still universally respected for his legitimate wrestling ability, a massive draw, arguably the greatest World Heavyweight Champion in American professional wrestling history, etc.

May as well have put Thesz up against Hornswoggle as he'd have as much chance Hillbilly Jim has of going on.

This is another example of a legitimate champion versus a popular notoriety act. Although Hillbilly Jim will be one of the most beloved wrestlers of all time, Lou Thesz was the real deal. He could not only defeat someone in a pre-determined match and become champion, but he could REALLY kick anyone's ass. Don't take him lightly in this tournament... I beg you all.

Lou Thesz wins by a landslide.

I wouldn't say Hillbilly Jim was like Santino, but I get what that was signifying AND I agree. He was a massive Hillbilly that danced and played to the crowd. He was Hulk Hogan's lackey and was great in that role. He never won any titles while in his WWE hay-day or was even close to it. Nor should he have been to be honest.

Lou Thesz is Lou Thesz. Just the mention when Steve Austin did the "Thesz Press" (which was every match) was enough to beat what Hillbilly Jim ever was or did in his career.

Thesz is another, for lack of a better word, forgotten individual when the All Time Greats are mentioned.

Thesz gets my vote in this round. But Hillbilly Jim gets a smile because he sure was a happy-go-lucky mutha fucker!

Lou Thesz's influence in wrestling can still be seen and heard today.

His accomplishments and legit wrestling ability undoubtedly make him one of the greatest in wrestling history

The 6 time NWA Worlds Champion who invented a good chunk of the dance steps seen in a modern pro wrestling ring is just about a dozen light years ahead of a powerful, yet crude wrestler with a bad gimmick. Thesz was trained by a legitimate shooter in Ed "Strangler" Lewis. Thesz WAS a legitimate shooter and such a tough customer to handle, that he was still an active and effective wrestler into his early sixties. Bottom line is that Thesz takes the hillbilly to wrestling school and puts on a clinic of scientific wrestling that leaves big ole' Jim wondering how it happened. Thesz by pinfall after about 6-7 minutes.

This one is actually a little bit laughable. One of the best legends of all time, especially in terms of old school wrestling, versus a comedy act. Not really sure why this contest is even there, it should have probably been Thesz in a walkover.

I voted for Thesz in one of the easiest decisions so far.

Thesz should win this by a landslide. Hillbilly Jim never done anything in this business I dont think he has even won a championship. Thesz is probably the first recognizable NWA Champion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back