Calgary Region, LA Subregion: Second Round: (14) Yokozuna vs. (6) Eddie Guerrero

Who Wins This Match

• Yokozuna

• Eddie Guerrero

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a second round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the Staples Center, LA, California

2010034339staples_center.jpg

#11 Yokozuna

yokozuna.gif

Vs.

#6 Eddie Guerrero

eddie_guerrero.JPG

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Yokozuna in one year accomplished more then Eddie Guerrero did in his whole career. Eddie was a career mid carder who was given one short run as World Champion at a time when there were two World Titles and the options of potential contenders on his particular brand were limited.

Yokozuna on the other hand may have had a short career but it was still very successful and success came quickly. He burst onto the scene late in 1992 and was dominant. He won the Royal Rumble in early 1993 and never looked back. He won the WWF title at Wrestlemania 9 and although he lost it quickly to Hulk Hogan he regained it less then 3 months later and ended the near decade long original run of Hulkamania. Yoko held the title for 9 months which was the longest heel reign since Superstar Billy Graham. Yoko basically transitioned the WWF from the Hulkamania era to the new era. Bret Hart's first reign as champion came out of no where. He won the title at a house show and his only defenses came against then mid carders in HBK and Razor Ramon. By having Yoko end Hulkamania and have a long, dominant heel run, it made Bret's second title victory at Mania 10 seem a lot more legitimate and it helped the fans buy him as champion.

Yoko was a 500-700 pound guy throughout his career and for the most part he didn't cut promos because of his character so obviously Eddie has him beat in terms of mic work and ring work. However, in terms of kayfabe and overall importance, give me Yokozuna all day.

Accomplishments are all well and good, but Yokozuna had the advantage of being a fucking giant, while Eddie had to wrestle his entire career as a small man in a big man's game.

"Well then JGlass," you say, "it would only be logical that Yokozuna is too large for Eddie to defeat, thus, Yokozuna is the winner!"

"Poppycock", says I. Hell, at Wresltemania 9, Bret Hart would have won the match if Mr. Fuji didn't toss salt in Hart's eyes. Hart and Guerrero are very similar wrestlers, but Eddie was even more of a technical genius than Hart was. Eddie would be able to dissect Yokozuna until he took him to the ground, setting him up for a Frog Splash. You may think that with all those layers of blubber, the Frog Splash wouldn't do as much damage to Yokozuna as it would to a slimmer wrestler, but I disagree. I would imagine that being on his back would be uncomfortable enough for Yokozuna as hundreds of pounds of fat as pushing down on his muscles and skeleton and organ, having Eddie Guerrero slam onto that fat would only cause even more internal pain for the fat boy.

Eddie Guerrero may not have the accomplishments of Yokozuna, but he is a much better, more entertaining wrestler, and he has everything it takes to beat Yoko. Vote Eddie Guerrero.

Yokozuna, in my opinion, is about as overrated as they come. He was fat..and that's it. He wasn't nearly as agile as some make him out to be, and I cannot recall a performance of his that stands out. People love the guy because in all reality most people that size can't even walk as far as he did just getting to the ring.

After getting that off my chest, Yoko still goes over. He was dominant, and Eddie wasn't. He's just too fat, and his finisher was devastating..because he was obese. There are people in this tournament that should go over Yoko, but Eddie isn't one of them.

There's no way in a million years that Eddie Guerrero would have beaten Yokozuna in 1993. The man was huge, and almost impossible to take off his feet. He made light work of Bret Hart, and Hulk Hogan aside, never really had a decisive loss for the best part of 18 months. Guerrero has nothing in his arsenal that would sufficiently take Yokozuna down, and history dictates that Yoko can last 20 minutes, so he can't simply out last him. I can't see any legitimate reason for the longest reigning heel champion in the last 30 years being beaten by what was essentially a career midcarder in Eddie Guerrero.

Yokozuna was extraordinarily fat, there's just no way to put it. The man was slow, about as unathletic as possible and the man was just downright hard to look at sometimes. On the other hand, the fact that the man managed to have such a great couple of years in the WWF despite his unathletic appearance and abilities is impressive. The fact that he could move under his own power was rather extraordinary.

However, come what may, Eddie Guererro could not and would not have gone over Yokozuna. While Eddie Guerrero was a million times more athletic, he'd be extremely fortunate if anything he could deliver to Yoko could take him off his feet. This match would be pretty short and brutal for Eddie since Yoko's size could make any mundane wrestling move pack an incredible wallop. The first time Yoko would catch Eddie in a belly to belly suplex, it'd be all over but the crying. Yoko hits the Banzai Drop about 4 minutes in and practically drives Eddie through the ring when it hits.

Actually Eddie Guerrero is one of the few guys that I can see defeating Yoko by not even knocking him down. I can very well see them having a match in which the ref would get bumped, Eddie would make use of that to get a chair, hit Yoko with some stiff chair shots to get him reeling and as the ref is starting to get up, Eddie throws the chair in Yoko's direction and plays dead. The referree will then disqualify Yoko and Eddie will win this by lying, cheating and stealing. Yoko's USP was that he could not be knocked down very easily but as Eddie shows there is a way to get past the big guy even without knocking him down.

Yoko got his push because he was big and like all other big guys, he had a short peak but after that peak was over he became a nobody. Eddie might have been a career midcarder but at least he was getting title shots even upto his last PPV. I do not look upon him as a career midcarder. Benoit was a career midcarder because he slipped back to having IC/US Championship matches once he lost his World Heavyweight Championship. Eddie feuded with the likes of Kurt Angle, Rey Mysterio and Batista after he lost WWE Championship. All of them are main eventers maybe with the exception of Mysterio.

It must also be noted that Stephanie McMahon has gone on record saying that Eddie was slated to win his second World Title on Smackdown in a triple threat match between Batista, Eddie and Orton on the 18th November, 2005 edition due to Batista's back injury. I don't know but that does not look like how you would book a career midcarder.

I'm going with Yoko here. I'm an Eddie fan, but if this were a legit match between 1993/94 Yokozuna vs. 2004 Eddie Guerrero, Yokozuna would win. Yoko was dominant from the 1993 Royal Rumble until WrestleMania 10. He beat everyone there was to beat, including Hulk Hogan, and was the kayfabe reason why Hogan left the company. Yoko was an unstoppable monster for the most part. Eddie was great but even 2004 he was losing to guys who were larger than him. Guys like JBL beat him in his prime so I don't see any reason why Yoko wouldn't do the same.

I just don't get it. Eddie was a fantastic talent, there's no doubt about it. But this incredible over rating that has taken place since his death can't possibly be enough to get him through Yoko, can it?

Believe me, I'm not a huge fan of Yoko. But in his prime, he would never have gone down to a career mid carder like Eddie. Eddie never toppled anyone with the size and strength of Yoko and I don't see that changing now.

Big Yoko goes over here. I really liked Guerrero, he was an awesome talent in the ring,great on the stick and all that, but during his first push, Yokozuna was all but invincible. I may be wrong, but I see the mammoth samoan noselling the majority of what Eddie does, kicking out of a frog splash, hitting a legdrop then a banzai drop to take the win after around 8-10 minutes. Sorry Eddie, you deserved a better outcome, but Yoko is just TOO big, fat or whatever way to describe him for you to go over here. RIP Mr. Guerrero.

[YOUTUBE]-uC0vj9-wDk[/YOUTUBE]​

If Owen, a career mid carder, could out think the behemoth it's very likely that the guru of lying, cheating and stealing could do the same - even more likely when you consider that Eddie would definitely have Chavo, Dean or Perry in his corner to counter Mr Fuji's salt throwing antics. A canny victory for the papi possibly with the mysterious appearance of Tara's friend Poison.

[YOUTUBE]-uC0vj9-wDk[/YOUTUBE]​

If Owen, a career mid carder, could out think the behemoth it's very likely that the guru of lying, cheating and stealing could do the same - even more likely when you consider that Eddie would definitely have Chavo, Dean or Perry in his corner to counter Mr Fuji's salt throwing antics. A canny victory for the papi possibly with the mysterious appearance of Tara's friend Poison.

When that match took place Yoko was a near 700 pound shell of his former self. If this was Yokozuna 1992-1994 then there is no way Owen Hart defeats him. Until 1996 the only two people that pinned Yokozuna one on one were Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart. Eddie Guerrero isn't even close to being as good as either man.

When that match took place Yoko was a near 700 pound shell of his former self. If this was Yokozuna 1992-1994 then there is no way Owen Hart defeats him. Until 1996 the only two people that pinned Yokozuna one on one were Hulk Hogan and Bret Hart. Eddie Guerrero isn't even close to being as good as either man.

[YOUTUBE]AvK2TQqplNE[/YOUTUBE]​

Déjà vu, huh? Considering this bout is to held during both men's strongest periods as this bout with Bret was, and Owen beat Bret clean this very same night. It's not unfair to believe that Owen may have beaten Yoko, should he'd been allowed to proceed to the title match instead of big bro.

Tell me this is a joke. Eddie Guerrero isn't just hanging in the votes, he's leading by 2 (as of typing this). :wtf: is wrong with people.

Eddie Guerrero couldn't hardly handle Rikishi, and if recent memory holds true - he lost to Rikishi more than won. Now, you amplify Rikishi's skill and size, into that of a true Main Event Super Heavyweight, and you have Yokozuna. Eddie - barely above the cruiserweight realm. Yokozuna - eats larger amounts of food than Eddie weighs. What the f*ck is wrong with people?!

I get Eddie's dead and that's sad n' stuff, but dammit he would've NEVER - EVER beaten Yokozuna. Ever. Literally. Seriously. Truthfully. FACT!!!!

[YOUTUBE]AvK2TQqplNE[/YOUTUBE]​

Déjà vu, huh? Considering this bout is to held during both men's strongest periods as this bout with Bret was, and Owen beat Bret clean this very same night. It's not unfair to believe that Owen may have beaten Yoko, should he'd been allowed to proceed to the title match instead of big bro.

You're really going to go with the wrestler A beat wrestler B and wrestler B beat wrestler C so obviously wrestler A beats wrestler C argument? Owen vs Bret is a completely different match up then Owen vs Yoko. Owen used his athletic ability to get a nice roll up victory over Bret. He isn't rolling up Yokozuna. Eddie Guerrero has nothing in his arsenal that can beat Yoko. Not to mention Eddie at his peak may have had Chavo in his corner but that's about it. Yoko in his prime was accompanied by two legendary managers in Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette.

I voted Yokozuna and it shouldn't confuse people as to why. It's been said in this thread already, but Yokozuna was absolutely UNSTOPPABLE during his prime in the WWF. He steamrolled everyone who he faced and was the top heel/wrestler for a long period of time. There's no way that Guerrero stands a chance in the ring against Yoko. People who are saying that Yokozuna wasn't athletic at all are completely false. When he started, he was very agile in the ring and moved very well in the ring for a man his size. Discounting his athleticism because of his last run in the WWF is stupid. Prime Yokozuna took out everyone and I'm 100% certain that he would dispose of Eddie like a happy meal at McDonalds.

It's good to see Yoko narrow the deficit to 1, but it's still a shame he's losing at all.

Vote Yokozuna

You're really going to go with the wrestler A beat wrestler B and wrestler B beat wrestler C so obviously wrestler A beats wrestler C argument? Owen vs Bret is a completely different match up then Owen vs Yoko. Owen used his athletic ability to get a nice roll up victory over Bret. He isn't rolling up Yokozuna. Eddie Guerrero has nothing in his arsenal that can beat Yoko. Not to mention Eddie at his peak may have had Chavo in his corner but that's about it. Yoko in his prime was accompanied by two legendary managers in Mr. Fuji and Jim Cornette.

No, I was showing how two brothers beat the same guy in the exact same way - Bret when Yoko was 'unbeatable' and Owen when you felt he was on the decline, and your argument was that Owen couldn't beat Yoko because he wasn't as good as Bret BUT on this night Owen was better than Bret.

Why is Chavo about it? Why would he not have his Radicalz team mates? I'm sure they can look after a polyester wearing, tennis racket bearing nerd and an oriental OAP.

Eddie has his brain and that's all he needs to beat Yoko. In his prime the monster lost all his matches by making mistakes, Eddie had a Phd in making people make mistakes (just ask Kurt Angle, Guerrero had no chance against him at Wrestlemania XX either).

your argument was that Owen couldn't beat Yoko because he wasn't as good as Bret BUT on this night Owen was better than Bret.

He was better that night because he used his athleticism to get a roll up victory on a guy who probably had his mind more on his world title match later in the night then some match up against his younger brother. Once again, Owen's athleticism isn't going to beat a prime Yokozuna.

Why is Chavo about it? Why would he not have his Radicalz team mates? I'm sure they can look after a polyester wearing, tennis racket bearing nerd and an oriental OAP.

Because Eddie in his prime didn't have the Radicalz. When he was in the Radicalz he was a European champion at best. Do you really want that Eddie going against Yolozuna?

Eddie has his brain and that's all he needs to beat Yoko. In his prime the monster lost all his matches by making mistakes, Eddie had a Phd in making people make mistakes (just ask Kurt Angle, Guerrero had no chance against him at Wrestlemania XX either).

He only got pinned twice one on one in his prime against guys far superior to Eddie. If you want to vote for Eddie because he was better in the ring and on the mic then go ahead but if you are voting kayfabe wise then there is no way Eddie beats Yoko.

I really don't who to pick. I really like both of these guy but one hand you have the colossal big man in Yokozuna but then on the other hand you have the quick and agile Eddie Guerrero. In this case I'm going to go with my personal preference which would be Eddie. He has provided more hours of entertainment for me and I've just been able to enjoy him much more than Yoko. Maybe that's because I didn't grow up during Yoko's time but I've been able to watch his work and overall, I don't consider him to be as good of an entertainer as Eddie.

I'm not by any means trying to say that Yokozuna isn't good or am I trying to discredit him, because I do like him. But what I'm saying is that I personally enjoy Eddie's work much more and that's why I'm voting for him here.

Bret had Yoko beat at WrestleMania 9. Getting Yoko weakened isn't the problem you pretend it is. Fuji is the issue.

Alright, so then let's discuss Fuji. How would you believe Eddie Guerrero would beat Yokozuna and Mr. Fuji.

Also, lets pretend I'm actually entertaining the shear thought that Eddie Guerrero would do the type of damage you're mind-fucking people into thinking he could do. Now, seriously, why should anyone believe you, without showing any type of proof that he's done it before?

I can post multiple videos of Yokozuna steamrolling people - with help from Fuji included. Can you post anything of relevance to Guerrero beating someone of Yoko's size?

I think the closest you might get is Eddie against Big Show, and if memory serves - Eddie lost.

I'm sure he'll be able to improvise something that can solve that problem. He's pretty bright by wrestler standards.

I see. Well, just saying he would is one thing; however for poster stand points - google or wiki Eddie's moveset and pick something to appease me, and anyone else who thinks you're full of it.

Ah, and if it's a high flying move - rewind to Yokozuna v. Randy Savage. When Savage began to get the upper hand, he went to the top rope and was blasted by a Japan flag in the back for the efforts. That quickly followed his end. So you can try that same tactic, but I could just easily (and quickly) reply with the same result would happen. So find something a bit better, would'cha?

The facts? If we make bending the rules a non-issue for both Eddie and Yoko, meaning no Fuji, no lying, cheating, stealing, we have an even playing field where Yoko could easily find himself in that same compromising position Bret had him in at WrestleMania 9. If anything, I reckon Yoko's the one who needs to cheat.

Alright, let's stand back for a moment and look at this picture.

Eddie Guerreo won his World title off Goldberg interfering. He retained his belt at Mania because he tricked Angle into a situation (not cheating though, not cheating) of pulling his boot off. He then won countless matches, mainly from the motto of Lying, Cheating and Stealing.

Yes, Eddie has won some matches (high profile ones) with honesty and dignity. However, to claim in such a manner that taking Fuji (and Cornette) away from Yokozuna, that he'd be the guy who'd need to cheat - to pick up a victory over a cruiserweight sized Wrestler.. is absurd.

You're using the ideal logic of Hart (someone vastly better than Guerrero) beating Yokozuna with technical wrestling - yet ultimately it was the ropes buckling and Yokozuna's balance coming undone. And turning that into saying Eddie (being of similar stature, and ability) would do the exact same thing Hart did - ending in the exact same, or similar, format.

I could easily end that style of argument by saying Yokozuna is as destructive (and similar) as Big Show has been, if not more so, and because Big Show beat Eddie - Yokozuna could as well. But instead, I've been explaining how your thought of Wrestler A beating Wrestler B, so Wrestler C can do it too with similar tactics, isn't holding water.

Oh, good. Sidious-like mind reading tactics. That's always fun.

:rolleyes: More hopeful mind-f*cking to attempt swerving posters away from the large pile of crap you just laid on them above here.

Tell me this is a joke. Eddie Guerrero isn't just hanging in the votes, he's leading by 2 (as of typing this). :wtf: is wrong with people.

Eddie Guerrero couldn't hardly handle Rikishi, and if recent memory holds true - he lost to Rikishi more than won. Now, you amplify Rikishi's skill and size, into that of a true Main Event Super Heavyweight, and you have Yokozuna. Eddie - barely above the cruiserweight realm. Yokozuna - eats larger amounts of food than Eddie weighs. What the f*ck is wrong with people?!

I get Eddie's dead and that's sad n' stuff, but dammit he would've NEVER - EVER beaten Yokozuna. Ever. Literally. Seriously. Truthfully. FACT!!!!

Shit, Yoko's dead too and he doesn't get the BS sympathy votes Eddie gets EVERY YEAR.

You people are reading WAY too far into the "whose in who's corner" deal. In no way shape or form does Eddie go over Yokozuna. Sure, he'd get offense in, but in the end like so many others his size, Eddie would get SQUISHED like a bug. Bret Hart was an exception, and even HE didn't really defeat Yoko clearly. Yoko had to fall off the turnbuckle.

Eddie's decent and deserves a nod, but Yokozuna actually carried the WWF for a year, defeated Hart AND Hogan (yes, tainted wins, but still he's a heel) kicking out of Hogan's leg drop at KOTR. He survived wars with Luger and The Undertaker, title in tact.

Stop it with the Eddie love and move on. He'd be decimated in this one.

I see some are not respecting Yokozuna and that doesn’t really surprise me. It’s such a misconception that he was just some fat immobile slob. He could move quite well in his prime. He really knew how to use his weight to his advantage. He had great speed for a man his size and would often surprise his opponents with quick power moves. Anyone who thinks he couldn’t move well is remembering the Yokozuna of 1996 instead of the Yokozuna of 1993.

[YOUTUBE]Bue1U_yl0iE[/YOUTUBE]

That may not seem like anything too extraordinary but the point is he could move just fine. It’s not like he was a late 80s Andre The Giant. A couple of those moves were against Vader. Imagine the impact against a man half that size. I see a match with Eddie going something like this:

[YOUTUBE]vz-FNc_3too[/YOUTUBE]

Eddie and the Kid are of similar size and style. I think Eddie could easily get some shots in like the Kid did. The problem for Eddie is Yoko could take complete control in the blink of an eye with one shot. I’m sure Eddie would be able to avoid Yoko for a little while but eventually he would get caught and Yoko’s size would be too much for Eddie to overcome.

I suppose I should write in for Eddie just in case it comes to that. My reasoning? Better diet. According to Chris Jericho's first book, Eddie (along with Chris Benoit) was a machine when it came to selecting what to put in his mouth hole while Mr. Jericho and his good friend Dean Malenko scoffed at him for this practice and ate whatever they pleased. While one could mock Mr. Jericho or Mr. Malenko for having a spare tire, nobody could try that with Eddie. The man worked hard for his body and regulated the worldly temptations of fast food rather well. Yokozuna on the other hand was not nearly as discriminating.

Vote Eddie. Vote for the Guerrero diet. Three out of three members of the Benoit household say it's killer.

You want a reason to vote for Eddie Guerrero? Not being one of the smartest and most gifted and dedicated wrestlers of all time not enough?

How about because Yokozuna is total shit? The dude couldn't carry a match to save his life, and his life would need saving because he weighed 600 pounds which any doctor could tell you is destined to not end well. That's right, I'm making jokes about a dead guy, deal with it.

More reasons why Yoko was shit? He had nothing going for him in the ring. While Eddie Guerrero had an extremely diverse offense, Yoko had running into people with his fat blobs, and trying to squish people with hit fat blobs. He'd also occasionally try to punch people, but by the time the match was half way through he'd be too tired to lift his arms... because he weighed 600 fucking pounds. Don't listen to anyone who tells you differently, just watch a few of his matches. The Great Khali has more moves than Yokozuna.

"But Yokozuna went over Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan!" you say. I say, "No." I'm a minimalist, what can I say? Yokozuna didn't beat shit (mostly because he couldn't find the one thing worth beating... because he was 600 fucking pounds) without cheating. He relied really heavily on Mr. Fuji and friends to help him win his matches. Eddie Guerrero had a bit of a cheater in him as well, yes, but more often than not he won it cleanly by being a better wrestler.

Yokozuna was boring, bad at wrestling, really really fat, and a big fat cheater. Eddie Guerrero was interesting, a great wrestler, fit, and a not so big fat cheater.

So who are you going to vote for? The exciting, quick, smart, talented Eddie Guerrero, or the beached whale Yokozuna?

[YOUTUBE]Bue1U_yl0iE[/YOUTUBE]

That may not seem like anything too extraordinary but the point is he could move just fine. It’s not like he was a late 80s Andre The Giant. A couple of those moves were against Vader. Imagine the impact against a man half that size. I see a match with Eddie going something like this:

If you watched the video, it would be a no-brainer who to vote for in this match. Yokozuna was shown dominated Vader. Yokozuna was throwing Vader, one of the biggest, baddest, toughest, meanest, scariest etc. wrestlers ever around like a rag doll. Vader was 6'5 and over 450 pounds, while Guerrero was 5'9 and 220 pounds. Yokozuna was able to manhandle someone over twice the size of Guerrero, just think what he would do if he got his hands on "Latino Heat."

Yokozuna would win this in dominating fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back