Building A Better: Mario Kart

Sean Valjean

Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love
MarioKart-1.jpg

The Mario Kart series is one of the most beloved franchises in gaming. It introduced the kart racer sub-genre and provided a more chaotic and care-free alternative to the more serious and realistic racing simulators. While remaining enjoyable through the years, the winning formula hasn’t changed too much over the years and it's about time to take that worn out old kart in for a tune-up. In my new feature, I’ll examine this fan-favorite and make a list of some improvements and new ideas that I’d love to see applied to the series going forward.

SuperSmashBrosWallpaper800-1.jpg

All-Star Cast: The line-up for the Mario Kart games is good, but we can always do better. It’s time to take it to the next gear, so to speak. How about a cast in the vein of Super Smash Bros featuring characters from other games such as Fox McCloud, Kirby, or Sonic? In addition to beefing up the line-up, the new characters would also have their own track dedicated track adding some fresh courses to a tired tracklist. Imagine speeding through loop de loops in Green Hill Zone or maybe a sky track composed of moving ships from Star Fox. They could even call the game “Mario Kart: All-Stars” to exemplify the improved roster. Either that, or “The Expendables: Mario Kart”. Actually, I really wish that last one could happen.

coin.png

Making Some Coin The original Super Mario Kart had coins that littered the race field that you collect to gain points. I say bring that back, but the coins will act as currency to buy new kart parts such as different tires or a better engine or unlock special power-ups at the store menu. In addition to scattering individual coins, there would also be a coin power-up or box that would contain a wealth of coins in order to amass more money quicker. I’ve heard tell that the upcoming Mario Kart 3DS may implement a system very similar to this. Let’s hope that speculation proves factual.

smashball.jpg

Special Attacks: Character-specific special attacks would turn character selection into a more strategic choice rather than one based solely on fandom. In addition to the normal weapon cubes, there would be a “special” cube in the arena. There will only be one per track and it will re-spawn in a different area each time it’s taken to prevent it from being abused. Bowser’s special could have his kart release a stream of fire from his kart, burning anyone ahead of him. Sonic‘s cart could go supersonic, hurtling past opponents and knocking back anyone in his way. If you find that this somehow ruins the “purity” of Mario Kart, don’t despair: the specials can be turned off in the menu. This feature would have to be implemented very carefully to avoid balancing issues and some tweaks may have to be made to the existing weapon arsenal, but I don’t see why this wouldn’t work.

doubledash2-1.jpg

The Return of Double Dash: Mario Kart Double Dash is by far my favorite entry in the series because of its innovative and entertaining tag team racing. Having you drive and a buddy dish out the punishment was insanely fun and I’ve long been baffled that Nintendo hasn’t returned to this formula since. I say it’s time to bring it back as an option when setting up races in both racing and versus modes. If you want to get really ambitious, there could even be Chrono Trigger-style combination special moves depending on who’s in your cart. With a roster as diverse as this, who knows what crazy attack we’d see flying down the racetrack.

rainbowroad-1.png

Faster Re-Spawns!: The only thing more frustrating than careening off the edge of a track is waiting for the Lakitu (that cloud-riding turtle dude) to SLOWLY fish you out and return you to the track. This infuriatingly sluggish re-spawn system can send you from the head of the pack to the back of the line at the blink of an eye. It’s time for that to change. Modnation Racers and Blur employ an instant re-spawn system that have you back in the race in no time while dropping at the most two or three spots. It’s high time for our cloud-cruising friend to get his ass in gear and do the same.

fireflower-1.jpg

Make-Your-Own Cups: Cups are a great way of playing through a bunch of tracks without having to worry about picking new ones. For some dumb reason, Mario Kart Wii eliminated this by having you choose your own stages for a cup. It was good because it let you shape your own tournament, but you had to return to the menu after each race to choose a new track, which was tiresome. I say we have the best of both worlds and have a cup system that you could create and save, allowing you to form your own personal track list.

battle-1.jpg

Deeper Versus Mode: The battle mode eliminates the racing in favor of a more Twisted Metal style arena battles. As a big fan of car combat in general, this mode has always been a draw for me. I’d love to see this mode further expanded by giving it its own campaign mode. Like Twisted Metal, you’d take your character thought a series of stages, complete with huge, destructible environments, eliminating all other adversaries to progress to the next. At the end of each stage, you’d have to face a boss fight. The haunted house area would have you battle King Boo, while the smaller boos fly at you as you weave in and out of their flock. The final battle could having you battling Bowser in a sky fortress kart with Bullet Bills and cannon fire everywhere.

MarioKartWiiItems-1.png

Power-Up Control: Tired of that dumb lighting cloud or terrifying blue shell? This feature would allow you to determine what weapons appear in a race and how frequently. Maybe I want a race of all red shells or a combo of just lightning and the giant mushroom. The ridiculous imbalance and ensuing chaos would be a lot of fun and a great option for players who just want to screw around with each other.

track-1.jpg

Track Editor: One big trend in recent racers is the addition of a track editor, allowing you to create and sometimes share your own courses. With a robust editor, I could create a less wimpy Mushroom, an even more dastardly Rainbow Road or something new entirely. You can even organize creations into their own Cup. And with the ability to share your creations with other players, the replay value becomes nearly limitless and you’ll be blazing new tracks long after you’ve completed your tenth run through the Special Cup.

So that about does it for my Ultimate Mario Kart. Do you agree or disagree with any of the changes suggested? What would you do with the series?

All Star Cast: I think this is a great idea to have characters from other series aea in the game. I think this would have to change the name though. I don't think having Mario in the name wold do much justice to the other guys. I think All Star Racing would sound good.

Coins: This is another great idea which I think could help the game from getting boring for some people. I always liked collecting stuff and buying things in video games. Being able to put on another engine on a kart wold be very cool. The coin system also sounds good. As long as it's not quick to get every part available. Some games make it to easy to collect stuff.

Double-Dash: That game entertained me for a long time and it would be cool if they implemented that back into the game. Switching characters and having two items at a time was really fun I think.

The rest I am not so sold on. The one about customizing your track seems alright, but I just don't see the appeal. Maybe because I have a low level of creativity. I like the idea of Special attacks, but at the same time I don't. I never liked it in Smash Bros, mostly because I never got it, but if they could make it work in a racing game I won't complain. The one of quicker re-spawns and changing the items I wouldn't do. I think it's cool the way it is. I don't think they should change something that has worked since the beginning. It is annoying to get hit by a blue shell and to fall of a building and wait to minutes to get brought back up, but it also gives the game more drama and I think it's more fun like that. I don't care about versus modes or making your own cups.

What I would do to the game is implement the ability to make you own cars from scratch. Be able to put the body and what ever wheels you want and stuff. It would be a lot of fun imo to be able to do that.

All Star Cast: I think this is a great idea to have characters from other series in the game. I think this would have to change the name though. I don't think having Mario in the name wold do much justice to the other guys. I think All Star Racing would sound good.

Coins: This is another great idea which I think could help the game from getting boring for some people. I always liked collecting stuff and buying things in video games. Being able to put on another engine on a kart wold be very cool. The coin system also sounds good. As long as it's not quick to get every part available. Some games make it to easy to collect stuff.

Double-Dash: That game entertained me for a long time and it would be cool if they implemented that back into the game. Switching characters and having two items at a time was really fun I think.

The rest I am not so sold on. The one about customizing your track seems alright, but I just don't see the appeal. Maybe because I have a low level of creativity. I like the idea of Special attacks, but at the same time I don't. I never liked it in Smash Bros, mostly because I never got it, but if they could make it work in a racing game I won't complain. The one of quicker re-spawns and changing the items I wouldn't do. I think it's cool the way it is. I don't think they should change something that has worked since the beginning. It is annoying to get hit by a blue shell and to fall of a building and wait to minutes to get brought back up, but it also gives the game more drama and I think it's more fun like that. I don't care about versus modes or making your own cups.

What I would do to the game is implement the ability to make you own cars from scratch. Be able to put the body and what ever wheels you want and stuff. It would be a lot of fun imo to be able to do that.

There was something in what I believe was Mario Party 5. There was a mode where you could pick a character and build your own car. To buy the parts, you had to use coins from the actual Mario Party game. The fun in it was the fact that you could take your car and battle against other characters in their cars. Here's a video that shows what you did in these battles.

[YT]kOK1K8GqqwU[/YT]

So you would basically try and shoot your opponent with the weapon attached to your car. Obviously you would have to buy the weapon, and I would guess that some are better than others depending on how expensive they are. But I would like to see Mario Kart do something with this. Maybe even incorporate your custom built car into the actual race modes.

All Star Cast: Please no, keep it in the Mario universe. We don't need as many as Wii had, do we really care for Skeletal Bowser? Exactly. Keeping it as is would make Brawl seem that more unique, could you imagine Link driving a Kart? Exactly.

Make Some coins Good idea, but the original use for coins was to increase speed not points. Nice idea though and as Stinger pointed out it could work very well.

Special attacks They did that in double dash.

Double Dash
As good as DD was, MK is better with just the one person on the kart.

Faster re-spawns
No, if the spawns were faster you wouldn't take time to master the track. Maybe do it where the more times you fall off the slower you respawn to accomodate for geniune accidents.

Power up control
Great idea but it should only happen in the versus mode and not the grand prix mode.

The best way to make MK perfect? Get rid of the blue shell or at least make it like it was in MK64.

Amazing thread topic and great ideas in the original post. I think that they should bring together a few of the things from each game that made them great. I love the idea of bringing in other characters such as those from Smash Bros Brawl. That alone added to the cast found in Mario Kart Wii would be fantastic. I'd say swap out those useless baby characters for guys like Fox, Link, Samus, etc from other famous Nintendo series. Bringing back special abilities for each character could be a cool idea like they did in Double Dash. The specials would be randomly generated in the same item boxes as regular items but you would be able to get them even if you're in first. Speaking of Double Dash, I would make that an optinal mode. It was an innovative idea, but I hated the fact that you could not do classic one character per kart mode in the Double Dash game.

A big one for me would be to make it less about what kart/bike you use and more about what character. Each character should have different stats than the rest because that makes it reasonable to have such a large cast. For example all heavyweights would still have the highest top speed as a group but Bowser could have the highest top speed out of that particular group. I also like the concept of creating your own cups, that could be added to the already great VS mode. Double Dash's All Cups mode would have to come back. Luigi Circuit first, Rainbow Road last, everything else randomized in between. The usual formula of 16 Nitro tracks and 16 Retro tracks would return as well.

This would be the ultimate Mario Kart.

I love Mario Kart, but there are several ways that the game can be improved.

More tracks

On the Wii version, there simply are not enough different courses, and the game can become repetative pretty quickly, especially online where you end up playing Mario Raceay about 5 times in 10 races. All the original courses from the original Mario Cart or Mario Cart 64 should be added, as well as alot of newly designed courses. This would certainly increase the lifespan of the game.

Special attacks

Why should all chracters have the same powerups? As well as using the standard homing bombs and mushroom speed-ups, each character should have 1 or 2 unique special attacks to make them different, and make playing as a different character a different racing experience. This would certainly liven things up a bit.

Create a cup

There is no reason why this couldn't be added. All it would be is the chance to create your own 6 course tournament. No extra memory needed or anything like that, just a "create a cup" option where you can play on your favourite courses in a little tournament. Definitely a fun addition for when you are playing with friends and you dont want to play the standard cup options.

They are the main 3 for me. I wouldn't mind a track editor/creater, that would be pretty cool as you could download tracks online that were created by other players. Also, remove King Boo I fucking hate him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back