• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Broken Matt Is Overrated

Pay Per Ghost

What they f*ck happened in the thread section here
Now let me preface this by saying, Matt is great. V1 was a hoot, The Cheated Matt was a big missed opportunity for the WWE but while he languished for most of the 2010s as an afterthought his development into Broken Matt was a good storyline in TNA when it happened. I kinda did watch that.

What happened further was the compound, drones, Mexican gardeners and I am too lazy to look up a thread from a few years ago where I asked 'I don't get Broken Matt'. I get that he is screwy because he is down on the dumps but the whole thing was hokey as fuck.

And it's cringe worthy now.

And it's sad that Bray is involved. I get it, it's comic relief on a 3 hour program and it's fun to chant delete and do the hands but Broken Matt by no stretch of the imagination is GREAT.

It's just a testament to Matt finding a way to showcase his personality. He has been the more rounded of the two Hardys and I'm glad we see that but Broken Matt is just stupid & overrated. Kudos to him for making it relevant and bringing it to WWE but the vignettes, extra characters and the whole fucking storyline is overrated AF.

Oh and V1> All.

Now let me preface this by saying, Matt is great. V1 was a hoot, The Cheated Matt was a big missed opportunity for the WWE but while he languished for most of the 2010s as an afterthought his development into Broken Matt was a good storyline in TNA when it happened. I kinda did watch that.

What happened further was the compound, drones, Mexican gardeners and I am too lazy to look up a thread from a few years ago where I asked 'I don't get Broken Matt'. I get that he is screwy because he is down on the dumps but the whole thing was hokey as fuck.

And it's cringe worthy now.

And it's sad that Bray is involved. I get it, it's comic relief on a 3 hour program and it's fun to chant delete and do the hands but Broken Matt by no stretch of the imagination is GREAT.

It's just a testament to Matt finding a way to showcase his personality. He has been the more rounded of the two Hardys and I'm glad we see that but Broken Matt is just stupid & overrated. Kudos to him for making it relevant and bringing it to WWE but the vignettes, extra characters and the whole fucking storyline is overrated AF.

Oh and V1> All.

I think you should give it a chance first. WWE might do something interesting with it.

I just hope Matt himself gets a lot of say in ideas, because after the "House Of Horrors" shambles last year, I am worried if WWE will do the "Ultimate Deletion" justice.

I will reserve my judgment until after that.

I'm hesitant about Broken Matt in WWE myself. My argument has always been comparing it to a low-budget success that loses all of the charm when it gets a big-budget sequel. Then again I've never been a fan of the gimmick in the first place, so I'm not exactly a touchstone in all of this.

Maybe WWE's version of the Broken Universe will be a success, maybe it won't. I didn't get it in TNA/Impact, and I don't get it now, but whether I like it or not is not the litmus test of the gimmick's success. I hope OP considers that when naming their next thread.

For someone who hadn't seen it before, I am fairly entertained by him now. Everything, from his promo to this in-ring demeanor comes so naturally. He really played out this persona very well.

If it's totally meant as a comedy/outrageous gimmick-based feud and match then, I guess it's fine.

If it's somewhere along the lines of how Goldust was so over-the-top, any feud he was in basically was 'strange vs strange' and was made for a few good laughs.

Because Broken Matt is definitely corny. And that's fine if he's the comic relief portion of the show. It's not the worst comic relief gimmick WWE has had. And if he stays far away from Universal and WWE titles and maybe occasionally gets and angle on a mid-card title that's probably fine.

Attitude Era Goldust did fine at the mid-card level and post-AE Goldust with Booker T worked pretty good as well.

Unfortunately, because poor Bray Wyatt is involved, I have no interest in this match. Wyatt has had no purpose or meaning to nearly every feud he's been involved in and I don't quite get the angle for interest in this feud other than "crazy guy vs crazy guy."

For me, what might be the best way to take this feud is to go to the point where they have a Hardy Compound match and that way it's not even really AT WrestleMania it is just shown in bits and pieces on the screen until it ends. Kind of like that Triple Threat Hardcore Match with Raven v Kane v Big Show that went backstage for a lot of the match and had golf carts and smashing through fences and glass! Just make the match ridiculously fun as mostly comic relief and fans should enjoy it.

Probably best because Bray Wyatt character is almost dead in terms of marketability. I think he's getting fan sympathy support, which isn't really ideal when he's supposed to be a heel.

For me, any feud involving Wyatt right now is: Not interested until I see what the RESULT is. Because far too many times the build up has been somewhat interesting and then the result is ... nothing! So until WWE can make SOMETHING out of the result of a Wyatt feud then it's pretty much all WWE's fault for treating Wyatt so poorly that he can't be taken seriously and can only be in a highly gimmicked and comic-relief type feud.

I'm not sure it is rated at all PG. It's been mostly panned or ignored in its WWE run by this forum. They've also barely scratched the surface with it. This Monday should give us an idea if it has legs. As of now it is still sort of in its infancy in a way.

But really expectations should have been pretty low from the start. Matt, by himself especially should not be expected to get much attention during Mania season.

I'm sorry you dislike it so much. This is the first time I've ever seen someone so passionate about V1. It really never caught on.

I'm not sure it is rated at all PG. It's been mostly panned or ignored in its WWE run by this forum. They've also barely scratched the surface with it. This Monday should give us an idea if it has legs. As of now it is still sort of in its infancy in a way.

But really expectations should have been pretty low from the start. Matt, by himself especially should not be expected to get much attention during Mania season.

I'm sorry you dislike it so much. This is the first time I've ever seen someone so passionate about V1. It really never caught on.

Broken Matt was laughed at and mocked mercilessly when it started; Then appreciated because he put his heart & soul in it.

Think Dusty in Polka Dots, and before people come in and say "but I liked the polka dots." No you didn't. That's nostalgia and you like it now. Everybody has been smiling and happily going along with this because they see how much Matt has embraced and that's ok. But it sucks as a gimmick with all these hockey characters.

You said it before Georgy 'hey Bray is fine.... he is on global television and that's a spot most would die to be in.' Well he is dying in the spot. Last year the shitfest with Randy and now this.

Bray should just leave for a few years.

I can honestly say that I never cared for it. I didn't like it when he was doing it in TNA and I don't care anything about it now. I give him props for doing something different, for thinking outside the box and that it's something he's really put his heart into that's gotten him out from under his brother's shadow, at least to a certain degree. With that being said, I just don't think it's any good. It's Matt Hardy's creation, WWE lets him have creative freedom with it and it's just not all that interesting to me. It's not funny, it's not entertaining and Matt Hardy himself, in my opinion, is basically a mediocre wrestler outside of working as part of a tag team with his brother Jeff.

Personally, after seeing the first one of those deletion matches in TNA, i was done with the character. I liked the character development at first in TNA because it was based on reality, the fact that matt went insane because Jeff was always the more popular of the hardy's and that every time they faced each other, matt would lose. It made perfect sense and Matt was great at creating that character. Then came the vignette at the compound and again, didn't mind them, it made the character better. Then came the first deletion match, sorry if i don't remember the title of it but to me they's all looked the same. So they did that match and at first i rejected it because i thought it was way too much and this wasn'T what wrestling should be on second look, i understood what he was doing and while i didn't like it, i understood why it came such a popular concept.

Anyway, let's just say that the more they advance in TNA, the less i was watching them because just like Jeff hardy, i just became bored with the whole concept and could stand watching that crap on tv every week. So i was glad when they came back as themselves last year. Now we are a year later and this crap is back but in WWE with a lot less character development to the whole thing and with 2 characters that cold as ice right now. So my first thought when they announce this match for next week was, i really hope they keep this for the last hour so that i don't have to watch it live. My second thought was, let's hope that Jeff Hardy won't get rope in to this thing.

So yes, i get why fans like the Broken or in this case woken matt character, but that's not my cup of tea and the quicker this thing dies the better.

I so agree with you. I did not get the appeal in TNA and get it even less now. I just find the gimmick stupid.

But I know we are in the minority with this opinion.

I so agree with you. I did not get the appeal in TNA and get it even less now. I just find the gimmick stupid.

But I know we are in the minority with this opinion.

So, what is a good character in your opinion?
The Broken Hardy’s killed all over the world after TNA, in a point that the E’ had to give them the titles without clearing their Indy’s dates. The problem is not the guy, is who says what to do. Broken Universe was a Matt creation, in his hands it can do wonders. That’s why we want Hunter to be in Vince’s place...

I quite enjoyed the "Ultimate Deletion". It wasn't as good as the first one, because that was new and never-before-done.

But it was fun, and they tried a couple of different things. It was good that WWE allowed Matt a lot of say, and that they had all the players back, like Viscount 1 (or V1) the drone, Senor Benjamin, Queen Rebecca, King Maxwell, as well as adding Lord Wolfgang to the "cast".

Also, cool cameo appearance by Brother Nero.

Even the dilapidated boat, "Skaarsgard", made an appearance.

There were some silly bits. The chase in the "Land Of Obsolete Men" was hokey, and it was silly believing that Bray was running that fast.

I especially liked the "Dome Of Deletion" part. I can't get out of my head "Chair with wheels, mower of lawns".

It seems too, like they have written off Bray Wyatt for the time being. Maybe the character needs a rest. I just hope they don't bring him back as Husky Harris.

Broken Matt is a stupid gimmick that makes a farce out of wrestling and is impossible to take seriously in any way whatsoever. It's not innovative, it's not art, it's dumb as fuck. He's either bad on purpose or the Tommy Wiseau of wrestling.

In a shithole like TNA it made a lot of noise and got attention because it as wacky and helped a smaller company stand out. They just stood out for the wrong reasons. The ridiculousness popped a rating, but after that it's diminishing returns. The curiosity for the stupidity is clearly reduced, and in the WWE it doesn't really help move the needle in either direction. So there's not even the one temporary benefit it had in TNA. All it does it look proposterous, embarass your company, and tonally clash with everything else on the show. Which is saying a lot for a wrestling show that's already a circus.

Yeah, there's funny moments, but my shits also have funny moments. My shits do not, however, destroy any remaining credibility or realism being still protrayed in wrestling. At least as far as I know. Yes, wrestling is hokey, and the Undertaker did dumb stuff. That's not a valid argument for why this isn't way dumber.

Broken Matt is a stupid gimmick that makes a farce out of wrestling and is impossible to take seriously in any way whatsoever. It's not innovative, it's not art, it's dumb as fuck. He's either bad on purpose or the Tommy Wiseau of wrestling.

In a shithole like TNA it made a lot of noise and got attention because it as wacky and helped a smaller company stand out. They just stood out for the wrong reasons. The ridiculousness popped a rating, but after that it's diminishing returns. The curiosity for the stupidity is clearly reduced, and in the WWE it doesn't really help move the needle in either direction. So there's not even the one temporary benefit it had in TNA. All it does it look proposterous, embarass your company, and tonally clash with everything else on the show. Which is saying a lot for a wrestling show that's already a circus.

Yeah, there's funny moments, but my shits also have funny moments. My shits do not, however, destroy any remaining credibility or realism being still protrayed in wrestling. At least as far as I know. Yes, wrestling is hokey, and the Undertaker did dumb stuff. That's not a valid argument for why this isn't way dumber.

You know what though, wrestling isn't Shakespeare. Wrestling isn't some serious thing that needs to be analysed all the time.

More than anything, wrestling is meant to be FUN. The "Ultimate Deletion" was fun and funny.

I enjoyed it, meaning that it achieved the aim that I set for wrestling, that I enjoy it. If I don't enjoy something, then it has failed in its task to impress me. But this didn't. I found it entertaining.

If you don't like this, hey, that's your opinion. But I did, so I got what I wanted from it, but you didn't. Fair enough. Agree to disagree.

I doubt though, that WWE will go under because they ran this to end Raw one time. This is no worse than Dr Heiney, or Mark Henry and Mae Young parenting a hand, but this was funnier.

I can't get the line "Chair with wheels" "Mower of lawns" out of my head. I'm still smiling about it today.

If Matt was the Tommy Wiseau of wrestling, he would have said "I do not hit Bray Wyatt! I did not. It's not true. I did not hit...Oh, hi Jeff". LOL.

The fact is, they tried this to end the show thinking this would help the ratings of the third hour and it failed since it was the lower rated hour out of the three hour, in fact, they loss a lot of viewers from the second hour, so that experiment of using this as a hook fail.

Personally, I didn't watch the match, mostly because I'm not a fan of this, but if this mean a evolution of the bray Wyatt character after this match, then at less something good will come of this because bray as need a rebranding for a while now as the character as been stail for a few years now.

If you enjoyed the Ultimate Deletion, fuck you.

It was stupid, pointless and unless Bray kidnaps Queen Rebecca and we see more of that vivacious bod, I'm done.

So, what is a good character in your opinion?
The Broken Hardy’s killed all over the world after TNA, in a point that the E’ had to give them the titles without clearing their Indy’s dates. The problem is not the guy, is who says what to do. Broken Universe was a Matt creation, in his hands it can do wonders. That’s why we want Hunter to be in Vince’s place...

Not cartoons. Woken Matt is a cartoon. I also don't like the cartoon character Braun has become. I prefer more realism in my escapism. I prefer Batman to Superman because he is more believable.

I am not into the 'Broken' gimmick at all. The weird accent, the compound stuff, and the vocabulary/vernacular are just odd and non-intriguing.

I have never been a huge Matt Hardy fan. I think his best work was his feud with Edge (with Lita involved).

All of my younger wrestling fan friends think it's great. I think it's lame AF - but is that because I am in my mid-30's?

I agree, an overrated MIDCARD GEEK. This is something that fans just thought was really cool because it wasn't a WWE thing. Now thats its become a WWE thing people can fully realize how stupid the gimmick is. I'm a big Wyatt fan but the entire feud with Bray was just them two laughing at one another. I don't know where either men goes from here.

Well...I personally thought this was excellent, mainly because it entertained me in ways wrestling hasn't in a long time. Yes it was silly, yes it had ridiculous moments but WWE material has always had ridiculously silly moments. Listen to half of The Rocks promos from 99-02 and you'll realize this. The DX reunion was full of stupid stuff. My point is there's an audience for this in WWE. I'm all for more of this instead of the usual crap like the Miz stealing a win or Roman/Braun decimating someone in the Main Event. Matt should be commended for the work he has put into creating this whether you like him or you don't. He could have lived off the Hardyz tag success and faded away (and classified himself as obsolete) and thrown in the towel, but he and his family have worked their asses off on this and got to showcase it in front of the biggest wrestling TV audience.

I also like that WWE took a risk with this and it seemingly paid off. The fact that this was trending on that sweet sweet social media (that WWE seem to love) for hours after the show finished tells me that it did. People are still talking about this now, regardless of if they loved or hated it and that, to me, suggests it was a success.

Well...I personally thought this was excellent, mainly because it entertained me in ways wrestling hasn't in a long time. Yes it was silly, yes it had ridiculous moments but WWE material has always had ridiculously silly moments. Listen to half of The Rocks promos from 99-02 and you'll realize this. The DX reunion was full of stupid stuff. My point is there's an audience for this in WWE. I'm all for more of this instead of the usual crap like the Miz stealing a win or Roman/Braun decimating someone in the Main Event. Matt should be commended for the work he has put into creating this whether you like him or you don't. He could have lived off the Hardyz tag success and faded away (and classified himself as obsolete) and thrown in the towel, but he and his family have worked their asses off on this and got to showcase it in front of the biggest wrestling TV audience.

See OP.

I get the nostalgia for the cartoonish, I get the fact that it plucks at your heartstrings, but it is JUST NOT GOOD.

And for extra piss off sauce Bray is somewhere at the bottom of the Lake Of Redamnation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back