• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brock Lesnar in WCW

Wolf Pac

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I've made a couple of What If threads on Lesnar before; one was about if he could've succeeded in the hardcore surroundings of ECW and the result I got from that was yes he could have and the second thread was if he could have succeeded without Paul Heyman and the majority voted yes, so here is possibly my biggest What If thread on Lesnar. Most people said he was the next Goldberg and that he would have still reached the top even without Heyman, so do you think Lesnar still could've reached the top in Bischoff territory or maybe only have gotten as far as the US Title/TV Title's or would the man & co. have held him completely down?

I don't know how many people know this but there was a recruiting war in 2000 between WWF, WCW & NJPW for Brock Lesnar. I actually have an interview with Lesnar from 2000 where he talks about making decision of which promotion to join & tells a cool story about amateur wrestling Antonio Inoki having no clue who he was.

I think Brock Lesnar would have been successful in WCW because by end of 2000 the landscape of the company had changed & Brock Lesnar is simply a freak of nature. Hogan was gone, Savage was gone, Piper was gone, Bret Hart had retired, Scott Hall had been fired & the company was pushing the likes of Scott Steiner, Jeff Jarrett & Booker T.

I've always wondered how far WCW would have pushed Sean 0'Haire...he was going to be there next superstar from the way they were pushing him by the end IMO. Plus I've always wondered about Bob Sapp who WCW also had under contract traning at Powerplant (& made one appearence on Thunder). Bob Sapp became a MEGA STAR in Japan. Brock Lesnar fits into the Sean O'Haire & Bob Sapp mould of being incredible physical specimens which WCW liked.

I doubt brock would have succeeded in WCW. The problem with brock is brock thinks he is bigger than everything else in the world. Once he had all he wanted from the WWE he left. He tried football and sucked so he was cut and left ( he stopped trying) Then to UFC where he started okay then got his ass kicked and walked away.

WCW would have seen him as a threat and unless he was one of the boys he would have been a enforcer and them buried once his brock ness came out.

Brock Lensar has a great look for wrestling and he has amateur wrestling skills. He sells like shit, and is always in the ring with someone who can carry the match. Then there is promos....hahaha. let's not go there no one needs to see the first graduate of the John Morrison school for shitty promos.

My new favorite Lesnar quote: (SS promo video.)

"I am here for one purpose and one purpose only, To bring the pain. (yeah 1 purpose means only)".

"I'm am the new face of WWE. (I'm am what is this?, Face isn't that a good guy term)

"On Sunday I am going to deliver ( it is a package?) triple the worst beating he has ever witnessed in his entire life" (what if he hasn't witnessed every meany beatings?)

" This is real folks, this aint a game to me, this is 100% real" (we know wrestling is fake since the 80's Brock stop trying to pretend like we don't) (also Aint is not a word)

I doubt brock would have succeeded in WCW. The problem with brock is brock thinks he is bigger than everything else in the world. Once he had all he wanted from the WWE he left. He tried football and sucked so he was cut and left ( he stopped trying) Then to UFC where he started okay then got his ass kicked and walked away.

WCW would have seen him as a threat and unless he was one of the boys he would have been a enforcer and them buried once his brock ness came out.

Brock Lensar has a great look for wrestling and he has amateur wrestling skills. He sells like shit, and is always in the ring with someone who can carry the match. Then there is promos....hahaha. let's not go there no one needs to see the first graduate of the John Morrison school for shitty promos.

"I am here for one purpose and one purpose only, To bring the pain. (yeah 1 purpose means only)".

"I'm am the new face of WWE. (I'm am what is this?, Face isn't that a good guy term)

"On Sunday I am going to deliver ( it is a package?) triple the worst beating he has ever witnessed in his entire life" (what if he hasn't witnessed every meany beatings?)

" This is real folks, this aint a game to me, this is 100% real" (we know wrestling is fake since the 80's Brock stop trying to pretend like we don't) (also Aint is not a word)

Wow. By the way you type, you really can't criticize Brock Lesnar LMAO This stuff is nonsensical.

Anyways, I can easily see Brock Lesnar fitting in a big, monster Goldberg-type role. Unfortunately, knowing WCW, that role would probably be "let's make him just like Goldberg, winning streak and all, then set him against Goldberg." And I think we know how that match would end up...

He tried football and sucked so he was cut and left ( he stopped trying)

Dont forget the random fight he started in a PRE SEASON game for no reason what so ever.

If he went to WCW he would have got there too late anyway. WCW was beyond being able to be saved in 2000.

Yet another terrible post from you. Why am I not surprised?

Brock also had this little thing called diverticulitis which nobody seems to mention when they say that he quit UFC because he was getting his ass kicked. That little nugget seemed to have slipped your mind among other things.

And you think he wouldn't have succeeded in WCW because of these reasons? This is the same company who had Hogan, Hall, and Nash. I'm sure they thought that they were bigger than everyone else.

Oh, gee. He's the first wrestler to ever say "one purpose and one purpose only" in a promo. Bad Lesnar. Very bad Lesnar.

Wrestlers say that shit all the time. So why do you have an issue that Brock Lesnar says it? The guy doesn't need to talk. That's what Heyman is there for. Brock is an ass-kicking machine. His actions will do the talking.

^^ I've always hated it when people quote others like that. It reeks of arrogance.

Anyway, no, I don't think Brock could have succeeded in WCW. You already had a guy like Brock there in Goldberg who was his own biggest fan and enjoyed being the "invincible guy." Once Goldberg got to WWE and met people who were either his equal or superior, he got pissed and quit even though he was given a pretty good push. I don't think that he'd taken too kindly to someone like Brock coming into WCW while he was on his streak.

^^ I've always hated it when people quote others like that. It reeks of arrogance.

You're about to hate me even more now.

Anyway, no, I don't think Brock could have succeeded in WCW.

It will be very important to remember what timeframe we're discussing. Wait and see.

You already had a guy like Brock there in Goldberg who was his own biggest fan and enjoyed being the "invincible guy."

You mean that guy who busted up his own arm breaking through a limousine window?

Once Goldberg got to WWE and met people who were either his equal or superior, he got pissed and quit even though he was given a pretty good push.

They screwed up Goldberg from the get-go. They even fucked his feud up with Rock which is probably the easiest thing to get right. He was hurt far too much and was in matches that went way too long. That's not Goldberg.

I don't think that he'd taken too kindly to someone like Brock coming into WCW while he was on his streak.

Considering that Brock left college in 2000 and Goldberg's streak ended in 1998, Bill didn't have to worry about that.

You're about to hate me even more now.
It will be very important to remember what timeframe we're discussing. Wait and see.You mean that guy who busted up his own arm breaking through a limousine window? They screwed up Goldberg from the get-go. They even fucked his feud up with Rock which is probably the easiest thing to get right. He was hurt far too much and was in matches that went way too long. That's not Goldberg.Considering that Brock left college in 2000 and Goldberg's streak ended in 1998, Bill didn't have to worry about that.

The idea of the thread was to explore what would/could have happened if Brock was in WCW during its heyday, not what would have happened if Brock actually went there in 2000. Obviously he wouldn't have done anything if the latter was the case since the company was bought by Vince in March 01. I would think that would be pretty obvious given what the TC said, but apparently you missed that in your haste to slam some other guy in the thread.

Goldberg was put into feuds with the Rock, Jericho, and Evolution - how did WWE do anything wrong? He came in and was immediately given a spot in the main event against some of the top guys in the company. Should they have just put him in his typical 45 second squash matches like WCW did? If you want to be a main event level talent in WWE, you need to be able to preform like one. He wasn't cut out for putting on great or lengthy wrestling matches, but that's his fault, not the WWE's. Maybe they should have recognized he wasn't a great worker in the first place and not have brought him in, but that's a topic for a different time.

I have to echo what LJL said about Brock's disease when he left UFC. he was a very sick man at that time. Just look at him when he fought Couture, and then look at him in his last UFC match. It almost didn't even look like the same guy. Read up on the disease. It's not a fun one. Anyway, if we are talking about WCW in it's prime then I don't know, but i think his look alone would have forced WCW to push him. I doubt he would have rocketed to the top like he did in WWE, but I think he would have gotten there eventually.

The idea of the thread was to explore what would/could have happened if Brock was in WCW during its heyday, not what would have happened if Brock actually went there in 2000.

Well, someone has to be realistic and it's apparently not going to be you. During WCW's heyday, Brock would have been 19 or 20. He would have needed a year or so of training by then so I assume he would have debuted around 1999.

Obviously he wouldn't have done anything if the latter was the case since the company was bought by Vince in March 01. I would think that would be pretty obvious given what the TC said, but apparently you missed that in your haste to slam some other guy in the thread.

I didn't miss it. Again, I'm being realistic.

Goldberg was put into feuds with the Rock, Jericho, and Evolution - how did WWE do anything wrong?

Bless your naive little soul. Let me give you a video example to illustrate my point.

[YOUTUBE]80Z4iUFg7bA[/YOUTUBE]

Goldberg was built as this wrecking machine in WCW and I surmise most of the WWE fans at time didn't know about him since he was with AJPW. The Rock was leaving and Goldberg was going to destroy him. They didn't need to put doubt into people's minds and have Goldberg suddenly be vulnerable. That's where they screwed up. Also, their Backlash match went about five to seven minutes too long. Goldberg should have squashed Rocky.

He came in and was immediately given a spot in the main event against some of the top guys in the company.

He was in midcard feuds with Jericho and Christian. That doesn't scream immediate to me.

Should they have just put him in his typical 45 second squash matches like WCW did?

Now you're getting somewhere.

If you want to be a main event level talent in WWE, you need to be able to preform like one. He wasn't cut out for putting on great or lengthy wrestling matches, but that's his fault, not the WWE's. Maybe they should have recognized he wasn't a great worker in the first place and not have brought him in, but that's a topic for a different time.

He wasn't cut out for it because that's not what his character is. I'm surprised and yet not surprised that you don't get it. Goldberg is a man who comes to the ring and makes short work of his opponent and the crowd pops for it every time. When you put him in longer and longer matches, you run risk of him getting exposed and the fans will see that and start to lose interest. Cena had that similar problem in 2003. He didn't need to have long matches because he got exposed a little bit when he did. He learned and got better it mainly because he was a different type of character than Goldberg.

Being realistic and all, Brock would have succeeded in WCW because there was no else there. I'm sure he could have routinely beaten the likes of Steiner, Jarrett, and Booker and possibly could have been a bigger factor for the Invasion.

Well, someone has to be realistic and it's apparently not going to be you. During WCW's heyday, Brock would have been 19 or 20. He would have needed a year or so of training by then so I assume he would have debuted around 1999. I didn't miss it. Again, I'm being realistic.
Bless your naive little soul. Let me give you a video example to illustrate my point.Goldberg was built as this wrecking machine in WCW and I surmise most of the WWE fans at time didn't know about him since he was with AJPW. The Rock was leaving and Goldberg was going to destroy him. They didn't need to put doubt into people's minds and have Goldberg suddenly be vulnerable. That's where they screwed up. Also, their Backlash match went about five to seven minutes too long. Goldberg should have squashed Rocky. He was in midcard feuds with Jericho and Christian. That doesn't scream immediate to me. Now you're getting somewhere.He wasn't cut out for it because that's not what his character is. I'm surprised and yet not surprised that you don't get it. Goldberg is a man who comes to the ring and makes short work of his opponent and the crowd pops for it every time. When you put him in longer and longer matches, you run risk of him getting exposed and the fans will see that and start to lose interest. Cena had that similar problem in 2003. He didn't need to have long matches because he got exposed a little bit when he did. He learned and got better it mainly because he was a different type of character than Goldberg.

Being realistic and all, Brock would have succeeded in WCW because there was no else there. I'm sure he could have routinely beaten the likes of Steiner, Jarrett, and Booker and possibly could have been a bigger factor for the Invasion.

Wow, so this discussion went quickly from being civil to you being a smarky prick. If that's how you want to play it, fine.

Unless the TC comes into verify what he meant, it's anyone's guess as to whether he meant Lesnar in WCW period or in 2000. But it's pointless to assume the latter because what would he have done in just around a year's time? Lesnar didn't debut until 2002 in the WWE and he was pretty green then, so you can imagine how bad he would have been if put on Nitro right after he got out of college.

So you're saying that they should bring in a guy who was one of the top guys in a rival organization and have him squash one of the top superstars in the past decade? I wonder how long it would have taken Vince to fire the writer that proposed that scenario to the creative team. Even if they assumed Rock was leaving and never coming back, that's a total slap in the face to a guy that's been one of the hardest workers your company has ever had. That would just guarantee he'd never come back. IIRC, Goldberg also squashed half of the SS elimination chamber that year and only lost due to interference from Flair. Despite what you and Goldberg himself claim, he was not made to look weak during his WWE time.

The only reason Goldberg was able to thrive in WCW was because he didn't have to carry the show. While he was squashing people like Raven in the midcard, guys like Sting and the NWO were off carrying the main event. He was able to build himself up for months and months while others did all the big ticket drawing for WCW. When it came time to put the title on him, he was so over with the crowd that he could have fingerpoked Hogan to death and they wouldn't have cared. For the longest time, the main event picture in WCW was barren of any exceptional workers besides Sting and the occasional good match from Hall. He didn't have to put on a great match because the majority of the time he was facing someone else who wasn't a great worker and could make quick work of them.

So shame on WWE for expecting any decent quality matches out of a guy who wasn't capable of producing them. But at the same time, it's his job to wrestle. If he can't do it at least at an acceptable level, then that's on him, not anyone else to protect him and make him look better than he is.

Wow, so this discussion went quickly from being civil to you being a smarky prick. If that's how you want to play it, fine.

I can play it. I'm not quite sure that you can but we're about to see.

Unless the TC comes into verify what he meant, it's anyone's guess as to whether he meant Lesnar in WCW period or in 2000.

Well, WCW was still operating in 2000 so I'm just using an accurate timeframe.

But it's pointless to assume the latter because what would he have done in just around a year's time?

Booker T won four world titles in less than a year. Jarrett won four titles in 43 days. I'm pretty sure Lesnar would have won a few world titles the way WCW was going.

Lesnar didn't debut until 2002 in the WWE and he was pretty green then, so you can imagine how bad he would have been if put on Nitro right after he got out of college.

So it would have been bad for him to go to WCW straight out of college yet you're talking about Goldberg and all that when Brock would have been 20 or 21?

So you're saying that they should bring in a guy who was one of the top guys in a rival organization and have him squash one of the top superstars in the past decade?

Absolutely.

I wonder how long it would have taken Vince to fire the writer that proposed that scenario to the creative team.

That writer should have been praised.

Even if they assumed Rock was leaving and never coming back, that's a total slap in the face to a guy that's been one of the hardest workers your company has ever had.

No, it's not. They brought Goldberg in to be the Goldberg he was in WCW. Arrive, destroy the competition, and leave. They didn't want to see Goldberg go back and forth with The Rock. They wanted to see Goldberg destroy The Rock. What sense does it make for a heel that's leaving to have that much offense against someone of Goldberg's character? It doesn't at all.

That would just guarantee he'd never come back. IIRC, Goldberg also squashed half of the SS elimination chamber that year and only lost due to interference from Flair. Despite what you and Goldberg himself claim, he was not made to look weak during his WWE time.

He was made to look weak plenty of times. I saw way too many matches where he sold way too much for scrubs that would never get to the levels he did. How about that broken ankle Batista gave him? HHH could have put on his big boy pants and let Goldberg go over him one-on-one at Summerslam. Instead, we got that joke of a EC match and Goldberg went over him at Unforgiven.

So shame on WWE for expecting any decent quality matches out of a guy who wasn't capable of producing them. But at the same time, it's his job to wrestle. If he can't do it at least at an acceptable level, then that's on him, not anyone else to protect him and make him look better than he is.

No, they tried to change something that wasn't broken in the first place and they somewhat shattered it. I'm positive Vince didn't get what Goldberg was about and tried to make him in his image and failed.

First: I hated Goldberg's charcter in WCW, but he had a million dollar look and he was insanely over. He should have came in WWE and had a bunch of squash matches to get him over. WWE dropped the ball with him big time. Also, when Goldberg was put up against guys who undersood his limitations and worked the right style with him they could carry him to a good match. Sting did this on a live Monday Nitro. Actually, when Sting put him in the Scorpion Deathlock the crowd turned on Goldberg and wanted him to tap. Which was knd of amazing considering how over Goldberg was at the time. Another instance of someone carry Goldberg to a good match was his match at Halloween Havoc (I think it was theat event- I could be wrong) against DDP. DDP carried Goldberg to a really good match. He was booked like garbage in WWE, but that may have been his own fault. I don't know if it was true, but I heard that he came into the WWE with aHUGE ego. So, Vince may have booked him like garbage on purpose. Or, he could have booked him like that because that's the way he book the majority of WCW/NWA stars.

Second: Brock would have made just as big of an impact in WCW as he did in the WWF. The guy is a wrecking machine. There is no way that he wasn't going to make his way to the top. Also, few people who comment on here were actually watching WCW towards its ending days. The company was VASTLY different than the one from late 1999 through 2000. They were pushing guys who could actually wrestle and the majority of the older workers were gone by this point. Hogan, Piper, Savage, Hart, Vicious, Hall, Nash and Goldberg were all gone. Flair was still there, but he hardly ever wrestled. He was nothing more than an on air character. He probably would have wrestled here and there, but the odds of him being an active wrestler who was going to headline PPVs was slim to none. WCW needed new stars and it was evident by who they were siging and pushing that they were doing just that. So, yeas I do think Brock would have had a great career in WCW. Mainly due to the fact that there really was no one left to hold him down. The remaning active mainevent wrestlers were Scott Steiner, Booker T, Sting and DDP- that's it. Who out of that list had a reputation for holding anyone down? I'll tell you who- none of them. I have seen all of thoes guys lay down plenty of times. And I know for a fact that Steiner wanted to kill Flair for holding him down (If you look at their singles matches from the early 90's it's pretty evident that Flair didn't want to put Steiner over- he refused to sell anything that Steiner hit him with) So, I doubt Steiner would do that to an upcoming guy who had a ton of potential. Besides, when Steiner was in TNA how many people did he put over? More than I can remember that's how many.

WCW would have had no clue how to book Lesnar. Lesnar would not have played the political game in WCW. And for the guy who said Sean O'Haire was being booked to be the next big star, bahahahahhahahah, he was in the tag team division teaming with Mark Jindrak, no way was he going for the main event roster whilst WCW were falling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back