• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

British Vs. American Healthcare

HBK-aholic

Shawn Michaels ❤
National Health Service (Britain)

Unless a person chooses to go privately, they receive all of their health care free from a GP or other health carer e.g. dentist. The NHS is set up so everyone gets free health care regardless of their economic status or job titles.

This is often thought of as good by British people, as they don't have to worry about medical costs when they should be worrying about getting better and relaxing. the NHs takes care of everything so that patients can simply get what they need done, done.

The problem is this often takes a while except in emergency cases. Waiting lists can reach a year in England, which sometimes is too long for patients, who feel they are forced to go private. Waiting lists always seem to increase, and even though the NHS tries to deal with this, there isn't enough money for them to make too big of a dent in it.

Also, 'superbugs' in NHS hospitals are becoming more frequent so it seems, and people have become worried about them during a stay in hospital. whether this is down to substantial cleaning or just chance, it needs to be stopped soon.

American Health Service

In America, people pay for the treatment they receive, whether that is an x-ray, an operation or simply stitches. People can get free, or help with, their health care depending on how much money they earn, or which jobs they do. Many jobs offer health insurance for all their workers, however this isn't many.

People often cope with this by having health insurance, which they pay monthly and ensures they will not have to worry about the cost if they ever need to be in hospital, as the insurance company will sort it out.

However, some don't have health insurance and this causes a big worry when they feel they are ill and need a doctor. Many people put off getting medical treatment as they know they cannot afford it, and can't worry about money. This could possibly put lifes at risk.

On the plus side, in America you can practically get seen as soon as you need to. there are no long waiting lists, and problems are often dealt with fast and in the patients comfort.

America also hosts the best medical practitioners in the world; with the best research. You can always be sure you will be seen by the best, and most likelt substantial care is something you shouldn't have to worry about.

So, which do you think is the best type of health care? Do you wish you had the other side of it? Do you have a good/bad experience with a doctor which has out you off? Or are you from a different country and think your health service is better?

As a person who has worked in the healthcare system for a few years, I realise that there are part of both systems which are beneficial.
UK I'm going to come across as being probably a little cynical here, but trust me when I say this. There are people who are on benefits who get free prescriptions, that are just on medications because they have nothing else to do...they're bored. This makes them feel down and worried, so because they can they go to the doctor and say hello to a lifetime of anti-depressants, sedatives and pain-killers.
Rant part over with, there is a notable difference between the free medicines people get because the can. I think a system needs to be brought in where there is at least some fee paid so the NHS can bring in money for newer (more expensive) treatments. I mean why should people be denied treatment for severe disease because others abuse the system to avoid paying for paracetamol which would cost £2 to buy. However, overall the fact that we can get healthcare for free is a good thing, it just needs some amendments from where i stand
US OK, I don't know a lot, but I know the fact is, people pay for everything and it's expensive. The system favours those who can afford treatment, but what about people with severe diseases which are transmittable. If a person can't afford healthcare, these conditions will spread, leading to worse health for all

Overall, I think the UK health system works better for all, but still needs to accomodate some sort of charge to prevent abuse of the system which occurs

In the states if you have a full time job you have health insurance. They just take it out of your paycheck every week.

If you're smart you have a small Co-Pay (Usually around $20.00 for a regular dr. visit)

If you have a family they also can get on your insurance plan. Your wife and kids if they are full time students for a little more then what you would pay on a single coverage plan.

I think this plan works out fine except for those who don't have a full time job. I'm not talking about bums I'm talking about those who may have 2 or 3 part time jobs that don't offer bennifits.

It would be nice if health care was free but then the wait time as you said HBK a holic is way too long and sometimes people need some antiboitcs ASAP.

Bad news though for Americans who don't have health care if you hurt yourself by having your friend deliver a tombstone piledriver :undertaker2:

you will be in serious debt the rest of your life paying off the hospital visit to adjust your spine.

In the states if you have a full time job you have health insurance. They just take it out of your paycheck every week.

Untrue

Only if your company has benefits do you have health insurance.

Many Americans out there, specifically small businesses, who do not have health care.

Dentist cost in the UK by the way.
Prescriptions have charges although not a lot.
You can get free eye tests in the UK in any Opticians although specs cost.
Under 18 and everything is free from dentistry to free specs although not as nice as paid ones.

Thats the main things you should note

I think the NHS is way better than the American alternative.
Things like cleaning it really depends what hospital you go to.

Currently in Glasgow a new super hospital is going to be built to replace the old Southern General. A super hospital was built in Edinburgh.

The quality depends on the hospital and how old it is but they are starting to replace a lot of the old hospitals.

ACAD units, ACAD is accident and emergency department Hospitals meaning there are no wards no operating tables ect.

Its just like a big clinic with x rays and in patients going into it. For example if you break a leg you would go there to get check ups.
It has ambulances tho but if you go there and they cant help you need o go to another hospital you could die on the way there.

Apparently if you have no insurance and you are dying they either refuse to treat you or treat you and you go to jail because you cannot pay.

Sure some things should be pay like designer specs and plastic surgery but CORE services should be free at point of serivce because you are dealing with lives.

A lot of American doctors are in it for the money, British Doctors are usually in it because sure you get good pay but you are saving lives and helping people, it dosnt matter what hospital you work at in the UK its still the same pay in the US a hospital is a business. A hospital with less resources might charge higher ect.

Like trying to get a patient into your hospital by giving them a cheaper quote on a heart by pass seems really wack and not wack as in the good wack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back