Should Gym Memberships be Included in Wellness Policies?

Thriller Ant

Beep Bop Boop
In my listening to NPR, I have learned a bit about the new healthcare legislation, which I am a full supporter of. One thing that really caught my attention, was something about how fast food restaurants will need to make calories in their food more visible to customers as a "wellness" portion of the bill.

The theory with wellness is the simple fact that if people are healthy, they won't need their healthcare as much. Eating right is a very obvious aspect of wellness, thus making the fast food case a very good idea.

After hearing this, another aspect of wellness came into my mind. Why can't insurance companies help pay for gym memberships? The gyms can help verify that the person using their insurance to get the membership actually works out and this could further the idea of wellness over treatment.

So what say you, should health insurance companies offer to help pay for gym memberships for their clients?

I think Gym memberships come under unnecessary costs, imagine how much insurance companies would have to pay out per a member, it would be like 200 pounds a year times that by thousands of clients they have on their books and the premiums paid they would either need to recoup through the memberships which would mean that they werent free in the first place or sort out some standard memberships with the basics included such as cardio and weight training with no extras included such as classes etc.

The main business of insurance companies is to make money and this idea would probably not be financially viable IMO.

Gym membership for everyone would be expensive, and most people wouldn't even go. It's not the cost that is keeping people from exercising, it's the effort.

I think a better route would be to give tax breaks to people who are in shape. That way people who want to be in shape can purchase their own gym membership, and if they are dedicated they will be reimbursed so to speak by having a tax break that would be substantial enough to cover gym membership plus a little extra as to give people the incentive to stay in shape so that they won't require serious medical help in the future.

Plus, Republicans like tax breaks, and Republicans are the main ones in opposition to healthcare reform.

This is the most absurd thread I have ever seen.

First of all, giving gym memberships away is the stupidest idea anyone has ever had. Those things cost money. If you haven't noticed, the government borrowed two trillion dollars to save and create jobs and we still have 10% unemployment. Let's spend another 60 billion dollars annually on this idiocy! Give me a break. If people want to work out and can't afford it, they can job and do push ups and sit ups for free.

Secondly, the idea that we give tax breaks to people in shape is even worse. How do we enforce this? Do we send the IRS door to door to give BMI tests? How much would this cost? In tax cuts and man power, how many billions of dollars do you want to spend on this terrible plan?

Whatever happened to realistic solutions like tort reform, which lowers malpractice insurance and reduces the number of pointless and redundant tests doctors have to give, cutting the actual cost of healthcare dramatically? Instead of giving it away, why do we not make it cheaper? This is a real solution, not these idiotic handouts that the posters in this thread and incompetent hippies in power feel are the solution.

Oh, and Mufasa, I would love for you to prove that Republicans are against healthcare reform. We are against this moronic bill that throws money at a problem instead of addressing the overwhelming cost of healthcare. Republicans are against getting completely shut out of the negotiations for the moronic bill. No one is against reforming the system. The right is against trying to eliminate competition and adding a massive bureaucracy to a system that needed a few tweaks.

Secondly, the idea that we give tax breaks to people in shape is even worse. How do we enforce this? Do we send the IRS door to door to give BMI tests? How much would this cost? In tax cuts and man power, how many billions of dollars do you want to spend on this terrible plan?

You could have the people who want their tax cuts first get in shape, and then submit proof that in their shape. As in the people who want the tax cut pay for it. They arrange their own Doctor's visit. So no, not sending IRS agents door to door.

Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. Tackling the cost associated with being out of shape is difficult. That's the best thing I could come up with. I think most likely it's an issue that won't ever be addressed. Medical cost associated with poor lifestyle will sky rocket, and everyone else will just continue to absorb the bill regardless of where they get their healthcare from.

And yes, Republicans are hostile to healthcare. Healthcare really isn't their fight, for obvious reasons. You can't simultaneously be against big government and for large social programs. If the Republicans really would have wanted important healthcare reform that would leave no left uncovered they could have had it a long time ago. It's not like the Democrats would have resisted it. I think Republicans would be much happier if healthcare was never discussed. It's not traditionally one of their issues. It's not really something they are big on championing.

You could have the people who want their tax cuts first get in shape, and then submit proof that in their shape. As in the people who want the tax cut pay for it. They arrange their own Doctor's visit. So no, not sending IRS agents door to door.

OK. Some people have health disorders that keep them from being in shape. Tax cuts for the healthy are purely discriminatory. How's that? A violation of the Constitution. Does that convince you that it's a bad idea?
Honestly, I don't know what the answer is. Tackling the cost associated with being out of shape is difficult. That's the best thing I could come up with. I think most likely it's an issue that won't ever be addressed. Medical cost associated with poor lifestyle will sky rocket, and everyone else will just continue to absorb the bill regardless of where they get their healthcare from.

OK, what;s your point? It's my body? If I want that extra piece of cake, I shouldn't be penalized thousands of dollars, should I?
And yes, Republicans are hostile to healthcare.

That is such a terrible mischaracterization of the events of the last year. Republicans refused to vote for a bill that effects one sixth of the economy when they were shut completely out of the negotiations. Stop trying to characterize Republicans as evil monsters who want to kill your grandparents. You come off sounding misinformed, at best, and in all honesty, like a terrible propagandist.

Healthcare really isn't their fight, for obvious reasons.

What are those reasons?

You can't simultaneously be against big government and for large social programs.

Why does healthcare need to be a massive social program? Why can't we limit the cost of healthcare, increase competition and then provide small subsidies to those who still can't afford it? Why does the government need to take it over? That's just stupid.

If the Republicans really would have wanted important healthcare reform that would leave no left uncovered they could have had it a long time ago.

Why do Democrats feel the need to force people to have it?

It's not like the Democrats would have resisted it. I think Republicans would be much happier if healthcare was never discussed.

No, we're going to to gain critical victories in Congress because of how badly the Democrats botched the process from day one.

It's not traditionally one of their issues. It's not really something they are big on championing.

You're right, overregulating and stupid legislation has traditionally been the realm of the left.

OK. Some people have health disorders that keep them from being in shape. Tax cuts for the healthy are purely discriminatory. How's that? A violation of the Constitution. Does that convince you that it's a bad idea?

People with disability are already given assistance. It wouldn't be a violation of the constitution any more than giving tax breaks to people who donate to charity. It's rewarding an act. It's rewarding the act of exercising and eating right.

I think people should encouraged to lead healthy lives. Both for their benefit, and because not being healthy causes everyone to pay more. This could also be done through insurance rates rather than tax breaks. Lower insurance for people who are trying to take care of themselves.

That is such a terrible mischaracterization of the events of the last year.

I was talking about Republicans in general. Not just last year. Healthcare and social concerns isn't really where the modern Republican party likes to make great strides. The Republican party has dominated a large portion of the 20th century but never maintained a lasting commitment to things like healthcare. If at any time in the last 50 years Republicans wanted to push for major healthcare reform they could have gotten it.

Whoa, I never said anything about tax breaks. I really think this would be beneficial to the insurance companies. Treatment for the side effects of obesity, such as high blood pressure and cholesterol, diabetes, and heart disease, gets pretty costly very fast for both the insurance company and the client.

By helping to pay for gym memberships in addition to other policy benefits for wellness, everyone will save boatloads of money by making sure that the patient never needs to get to the point of treatment, which is almost always more costly than prevention.

Whoa, I never said anything about tax breaks. I really think this would be beneficial to the insurance companies. Treatment for the side effects of obesity, such as high blood pressure and cholesterol, diabetes, and heart disease, gets pretty costly very fast for both the insurance company and the client.

By helping to pay for gym memberships in addition to other policy benefits for wellness, everyone will save boatloads of money by making sure that the patient never needs to get to the point of treatment, which is almost always more costly than prevention.

People aren't obese because they can't afford gym memberships, they're obese because they are lazy. Just because someone has a gym membership paid for doesn't mean they are going to get off their ass and go work out.

I work at a gym and the majority of the people in there are already in pretty good shape. They come to the gym more to stay in shape or to get into slightly better shape. Sure you get some people in there who are visibly overweight and are trying to get healthy but for the most part it's fit people trying to stay fit. Most overweight people lack motivation, not funds. Spending a ton of money to pay for gym memberships would be a huge waste.

I think gym memberships are a bit much, looking at the expense, and the fact many won't go even with the membership paid for. However, I do believe cost is a big factor in why people don't work out regularly in a more structured manner than simply walking the dog. Money should be put into a scheme which makes exercise free, or affordable. Things like public swimming pools, or large gyms where you don't have to pay hundreds for a membership. In regards to having the government pay full memberships, instead I think it my be feasible for people to buy a day/week/month 'ticket' and have healthcare schemes pay a percentage of it.

People with disability are already given assistance. It wouldn't be a violation of the constitution any more than giving tax breaks to people who donate to charity. It's rewarding an act. It's rewarding the act of exercising and eating right.

So, people get tax breaks for Thyroid disease? Really? I never knew. How is giving someone a tax break for charity donations unconstitutional? I know that discrimination by governmental policy is, but are there people not allowed to donate to charity? I mean, my sister's family is poor, but still donate to charity, so I know that anyone can give. Weird.

I think people should encouraged to lead healthy lives. Both for their benefit, and because not being healthy causes everyone to pay more.

Not if it weren't for this idiotic healthcare plan.

This could also be done through insurance rates rather than tax breaks. Lower insurance for people who are trying to take care of themselves.

That's a good idea. If only insurance were still a private industry to be able to do this. Too bad.

I was talking about Republicans in general.

Well, for one, health issues have been predominately state issues until the last 16 years. Republicans in Texas pushed tort reform through, which lowered the cost of healthcare in Texas. Coincidentally, it was the left who was against this here. Furthermore, John McCain was all for reforming the healthcare system through increasing access and eliminating the barriers to coverage that existed within the marketplace. It is the left that decided to force bad legislation down our throats. It was the left that beat him up for trying to improve access.

Not just last year. Healthcare and social concerns isn't really where the modern Republican party likes to make great strides.

This is empty rhetoric. The left has never tried to save social security. The right has. The right passed a $700 billion Medicare expansion. The left opposed it. George Bush nearly doubled teacher's salaries in Texas during his time as Governor. George Bush gave $10 billion in tax funds to study renewable energy with one stroke of the pen as soon as he gained the Presidency. I know that protecting your right to say something stupid is what got the most press, but good news doesn't sell liberal newspapers.

The Republican party has dominated a large portion of the 20th century but never maintained a lasting commitment to things like healthcare.

Kennedy, Johnson, and Carter never tried. Clinton gave up as soon as it looked like it would be hard, and Obama gave us the worst piece of legislation ever made. The right didn't vote against the bill because they don't want healthcare. They did it because the particular bill that was passed was terrible. 65% of the American public agrees with me according to the latest gallup poll.

If at any time in the last 50 years Republicans wanted to push for major healthcare reform they could have gotten it.

Mitt Romney and George Bush are just two Republican governors who reformed healthcare in their states. The number of Democratic governors is slightly lower, at 0.

In a more perfect world people would just take the initiative to get in shape all by themselves. There wouldn't be health complications to poor lifestyles that drive up medical cost for everyone. Private insurers raise rates for everyone because of this. The cost of government medical coverage goes up because of poor lifestyle choices which leads to both higher taxes and higher deficits.

Do you think anything should be done at all FTS when it comes to this? Or should we take a hands off approach and let things continue in the direction they are going? You've offered criticism but no solution to this particular issue. This specific issue that was raised by the thread itself. The issue of medical cost associated with not living a healthy lifestyle.

I think some incentive should be offered otherwise the obesity epidemic will balloon out of control which will raise cost and shorten lives. I think just creating a bunch of free facilities wouldn't really work because too many of them would go unused. I figured tax breaks would motivate people to take the initiative themselves, and it could be paid for by money saved from not having to pay for medical cost associated with poor lifestyles. If it worked out like that it would be win win. Maybe it would work like that, but that was the thought put in to it. I think people should be encouraged to be less of a burden on both the state and the insurance company by making good choices.

What is your answer to this specific issue?

---------------
Democrats had been flirting with government assisted medical coverage since the New Deal (and yes I know you don't like Roosevelt or the New Deal). Truman supported it but it didn't really go anywhere.

Kennedy openly supported healthcare, he just didn't have the votes. The Democrats lost seats in the house the same year he was elected. In 1961 after Kennedy was elected there was the first White House Conference on aging which was mostly about medical care reform. He supported and worked with senator Clinton Anderson and senator Cecil King on the King-Anderson Bill.

Johnson never tried? Are you sure you don't want to rethink that? Medicare and Medicaid were major portions of Johnson's Great Society. Medicare and Medicaid were created during Johnson's administration.

Carter worked out some administrative changes to help make it it more cost efficient. Carter was a weak president though, and personally my least favorite Democrat ever elected to the office. He was at war with the more liberal members of his own party, there was an energy crisis, and a terrible economy. So expanding medical coverage wasn't going to happen. The more liberal democrats in the party supported it. If Ted Kennedy wouldn't have killed that one lady in a car wreck he probably would have been president instead, and he would have pushed for expanded coverage as president, just as he pushed for it as senator.

Clinton wanted it, but it was impossible due to Republican opposition.

In a more perfect world people would just take the initiative to get in shape all by themselves. There wouldn't be health complications to poor lifestyles that drive up medical cost for everyone. Private insurers raise rates for everyone because of this. The cost of government medical coverage goes up because of poor lifestyle choices which leads to both higher taxes and higher deficits.

In a perfect world doctor's wouldn't have to run thirteen tests for the same thing out of the fear of being sued. In a perfect world, more competition would lower prices.

In a perfect world taxes wouldn't be so high that both parents need to work 50 hours a week to support a family. There would be more time for exercise, more time to make nutritious meals.

Do you think anything should be done at all FTS when it comes to this? Or should we take a hands off approach and let things continue in the direction they are going? You've offered criticism but no solution to this particular issue. This specific issue that was raised by the thread itself. The issue of medical cost associated with not living a healthy lifestyle.

Yes I have offered a solution. Get out and jog. Do some sit ups and push ups. There is a correlation between health and effort, not between health and nautilus machines. It's not that people need a gym membership to get healthy. They need to be active. I don't see why the tax payers need to pay for gym memberships when tennis shoes are cheap. You don't even need shoes to exercise. Do you propose that the government take over health clubs too? What's next? Should we ban fast food? You have every right to criticize the choices people make, but it seems like you are more interested in taking those choices away, and that's not right, that's not American.
I think some incentive should be offered otherwise the obesity epidemic will balloon out of control which will raise cost and shorten lives. I think just creating a bunch of free facilities wouldn't really work because too many of them would go unused. I figured tax breaks would motivate people to take the initiative themselves, and it could be paid for by money saved from not having to pay for medical cost associated with poor lifestyles.

But, wouldn't not having to go to the doctor offer financial incentive? Where do you propose this money come from? I mean, there isn't a lot extra coming in. If we wind up taxing sodas and twinkies, we would still be in a massive deficit. People on the left like to crticize Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy because they help the successful, but these are just the same. Thinner people get better jobs and live happier lives. Wouldn't this legislation just benefit people who already lead a pretty charmed existence?

If it worked out like that it would be win win. Maybe it would work like that, but that was the thought put in to it. I think people should be encouraged to be less of a burden on both the state and the insurance company by making good choices.

But, just like the healthcare bill, there is no money for it and it doesn't address the specific problem. Tax incentives are found money in a case like this. It might inspire a few people to change their lives, but all in all, it does more harm than good by putting the nation further in debt.

What is your answer to this specific issue?

To the healthcare issue or the obesity issue? My answer to the healthcare issue is the same as it's always been. We need a combination of tort reform, access to coops and small subsidies. As far as the obesity issue goes, I feel it is someone's choice to be overweight. Shit, I am overweight, and I can tell you right now that a tax incentive wouldn't change my life one bit. I exercise, I eat well, I just don't metabolize as fast. I live a happy life, I just have a bit of a belly. The solution for me would be less beer, but frankly, I am not interested in that.

---------------
Democrats had been flirting with government assisted medical coverage since the New Deal (and yes I know you don't like Roosevelt or the New Deal). Truman supported it but it didn't really go anywhere.

The New Deal did nothing for America beside introduce debt. It created short term jobs and just shifted unemployment further down the line. World War II saved us from The Depression. The problem with an NHS is that instead of helping those that can't help themselves, it incentivizes those who choose not to help themselves. Sure, it would help some people, but no more than creating competition within the the market and providing small subsidies would do.

Kennedy openly supported healthcare, he just didn't have the votes. The Democrats lost seats in the house the same year he was elected. In 1961 after Kennedy was elected there was the first White House Conference on aging which was mostly about medical care reform. He supported and worked with senator Clinton Anderson and senator Cecil King on the King-Anderson Bill.

That bill was defeated by doctors, who refused to work under that legislation. Furthermore, I don't think that bill ever got out of committee. That wasn't the right that defeated it, which has been your assertion from go.

Johnson never tried? Are you sure you don't want to rethink that? Medicare and Medicaid were major portions of Johnson's Great Society. Medicare and Medicaid were created during Johnson's administration.

That is indigent care and welfare, not an NHS. That was also met with fairly broad Republican support. Once again, your assertion that Republicans block healthcare doesn't fly.

Carter worked out some administrative changes to help make it it more cost efficient. Carter was a weak president though, and personally my least favorite Democrat ever elected to the office.

Worst President until the current one.

He was at war with the more liberal members of his own party, there was an energy crisis, and a terrible economy. So expanding medical coverage wasn't going to happen. The more liberal democrats in the party supported it. If Ted Kennedy wouldn't have killed that one lady in a car wreck he probably would have been president instead, and he would have pushed for expanded coverage as president, just as he pushed for it as senator.

If only our best candidate wasn't a drunk, a murderer, and an obstructionist of justice, we would have won! Do you understand how bad that sounds?

Clinton wanted it, but it was impossible due to Republican opposition.

It was impossible because the bill he proposed was crap too. It would have passed had it not been so full of earmarks and handouts. That bill, like this one, did nothing to address the costs of healthcare, and instead chose to just throw money at the problem.

Do you really think people are going to just get out and jog though? Or do you think it's more likely that preventable illness and the cost associated with that is going to continue to mount? It's well established that you want tort reform, but what about reducing the cost specifically related to patient lifestyle? It's not a small expense. Billions are wasted on treating people who made themselves sick.

Do you really think people are going to just get out and jog though? Or do you think it's more likely that preventable illness and the cost associated with that is going to continue to mount? It's well established that you want tort reform, but what about reducing the cost specifically related to patient lifestyle? It's not a small expense. Billions are wasted on treating people who made themselves sick.

What makes you think that people who won't open the door and run will suddenly drive to the gym and......well.....run? It's not gym memberships that will solve the problem. We need to put more money into the hands of the unhealthy people, which will allow them to buy fresh foods instead of processed food products. We do not need to benefit the healthy, we need to find a way to make healthy food more available to unhealthy people. The same works with healthcare. More competition and less regulation lower costs. Throwing more money and expanding government rarely works. Europe is dying and the Soviet Union is dead.

What makes you think that people who won't open the door and run will suddenly drive to the gym and......well.....run? It's not gym memberships that will solve the problem. We need to put more money into the hands of the unhealthy people, which will allow them to buy fresh foods instead of processed food products. We do not need to benefit the healthy, we need to find a way to make healthy food more available to unhealthy people. The same works with healthcare. More competition and less regulation lower costs. Throwing more money and expanding government rarely works. Europe is dying and the Soviet Union is dead.

I don't care how they get into shape. If they want to walk around the city that's fine. If they want to purchase a gym membership that's fine. Right now people aren't motivated to do so. I don't think that's going to change without incentive. If it doesn't change there will continue to be a lot of expensive unhealthy people. There is already cheap healthy food available in vegetables. The main reason they are are so many out of shape American's isn't because of the cost of quality food. American's already spend a lot of money on unnecessary snack food. Most American's are out of shape because they lack motivation which is why I think there should be incentive.

If nothing is done, then the only other option is to give up and absorb the cost of preventable illness.

As someone who actually works in the field you're all talking about let me say first and foremost I want the government and insurance companies no where near it. Simply put I don't want either group, be it private or public, making policy and decision over what is and isn't considered healthy. Maintaining self regulation must be the paramount goal of those involved within the fitness industry.
Truth be told health maintenance and prevention is more about quality nutrition than specific exercise protocols anyway, so it would be largely ineffective for private INS or the gov. to step in. It would behoove Americans to focus more on what they eat rather than the aforementioned push-ups, and jogging. That said I don't want government or insurance company dinner plate reform either. If anything, I favor nutrition transparency and stronger education. I support an intelligent and informed populace that can therefore make smart decisions in their best interest, as a whole, and also as individuals. People should know what's in their foods and those foods do to their bodies as a result.
Also, while I don't know of a compelling alternative, I would, in a perfect world, like to see the governmental subsidization of corns and grains finally go away as it's really doing no one any good in the long run. If the government must subsidize something make healthy nutritious foods more cost friendly. I've always found it a telling sign of the times that in eras gone by the poor used to be thin, as they had less access to food outright (which was at the time still nutritious and natural), whereas today the poor are fat simply because food that is "bad" for you is cheaper than food that is "good" for you. Nutritional well-being should not be stratified by economics and personal finances, but perhaps I digress.
Tangents aside, healthy people already get their money back so to speak in the form of not spending it on medical treatment(s) outright. In that way, they already reap the financial rewards of living healthy lifestyles and there is no need for additional tax breaks. A healthy, disease free, life is its own reward. In my opinion there already are too many financial reward/compensation systems, for what should be common sense. Let us not add to the epidemic.
That said, I do wish there was something we could do that would wake most people up to the fact that they are destroying themselves via horrendous, and worse yet, preventable lifestyle choices. While I'm OK with the recent proposed tax increase on soft drinks, and their elimination in schools, I don't believe an across the boards tax hike on "unhealthy" foods is the right way to go, as once again, I don't want the government telling me what is and isn't healthy food. However it seems that price gouging is the only form of punishment people seem to listen to. This returns me to the above point of making "healthy" food choices more affordable rather than "unhealthy" food choices more expensive. Again, I concede that runs the risk of an agency, or private INS. company, having to decided for the public what's "healthy" and what isn't but I find that to be the lesser of two evils. I think we can all agree that fruits, vegetables, nuts/seeds/legumes, dairy/egg products, and lean organic meats are healthy and should be more easily accessible.
As it relates to gyms, they are a choice and honestly a luxury, and should remain so. There are affordable alternatives as well as most towns already have Y's and community center fitness facilities which are by and large usually cheaper alternatives to more commercial big-box fitness chains anyway.
Let me finish by saying that as a fitness professional, I understand the need for a healthy lifestyle and what the ultimate value of such living is worth --it's invaluable i.e. priceless-- and have tried to offer my expertise to people at discounts and at certain times free (see our very own workout thread). I do volunteer work when I can to help those who normally wouldn't be able to afford consultation otherwise. In the end the majority don't listen to a word I say, prefer to argue with me outright, lie about their current habits, waste their time and money trying to fool me, and ultimately cheat no one but themselves... Though you can lead a horse to water, you simply can't make it drink. Gym membership subsidies would be a waste of time and resources and have no place in wellness policies as people have no idea what they're doing once they get to a gym and will be hard pressed to change a lifetime of habitual, though unconscious, self destructive behavior simple because they now pay a little less money to rent usage time in a large room full of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back