Bring Brand split Back

lifelongfan

Occasional Pre-Show
I want the brand split back. Titles ment more. rember when it ment somthing to b US or IC champ. it been awhile now. nowdays bein WHC dont mean a lot. i think wwe needs to split up brands agin would fix all that.i mean a strick split no brand jumping.and b equal as they can with dividing up rostor. back few years ago there was a big shoke to c a raw guyon smackdwn. it might b a little dul at first sene we so used to big stars on both shows. but i think payoff worth it. what do u think

I want the brand split back. Titles ment more. rember when it ment somthing to b US or IC champ. it been awhile now. nowdays bein WHC dont mean a lot. i think wwe needs to split up brands agin would fix all that.i mean a strick split no brand jumping.and b equal as they can with dividing up rostor. back few years ago there was a big shoke to c a raw guyon smackdwn. it might b a little dul at first sene we so used to big stars on both shows. but i think payoff worth it. what do u think

Translation:

I want to see the brands split up again. The titles meant more. Remember when it meant something to be US or IC Champion? It's been a while now. Nowadays being WHC doesn't mean a lot. I think WWE splitting up the brands again would fix all of that. I mean a strict split; no brand-jumping. And they should try to be fair with how they divide the roster. A few years ago it was shocking to see a Raw guy on Smackdown. It might be a little dull at first since we are so used to big stars appearing on both shows. But I think it would payoff. What do you think?

In case people had trouble reading your original post ;)

I personally enjoyed the Brand Extension Era, and would love to see it come back. But I understand like all good nostalgia it had it's time and place. We are watching a new WWE, one that has stars cross over because it's no longer two individually run shows (even though each have General Managers). I do think ridding the viewers of the World Heavyweight Championship would boost the WWE Championship's prestige and make it more of a desired acquisition.

So I am disagreeing with resurrecting the "Brand Split", but wouldn't mind seeing the original belt as the sole object of the show, and not "one of two".

Before the brand split, we had crossovers from RAW and Smackdown. It's like that, in a way. Although I enjoyed the brand split and rather enjoyed seeing the two brands feuding with one another at times.

I do think having two general managers is rather pointless....even more so with HHH and Stephanie around, but that's another story. And I do believe it would give the WHC more prestige.

That said, while I do, in a way, miss the brand split, I'm finding the storylines crossing over from RAW to Smackdown to be enjoyable.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1171115-wwe-why-it-is-time-for-the-company-to-rid-themselves-of-the-brand-extension

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/777792-wwe-why-smackdowns-demise-should-signal-extinction-of-brand-extension

http://camelclutchblog.com/its-time-to-end-the-wwe-brand-extension-for-good/

This just goes to show you wrestling fans are fickle and complain for the sake of complaining. The truth is that there is not a more pessimistic group of fans than wrestling fans.

Not saying that there is no right to criticize. Of course there is. But this one was complaining for the sake of complaining. A brand extension won't help titles mean more or improve storylines. Just improvement in writing and proper build of storylines. The plan is simple. The execution is what is complicated. Especially with fans who swear that one week Raw makes no sense and WWE is in a horrible place yet the next week claim that the storylines are awesome and WWE has a bright future.

A big part of the reason why the brand split worked initially is b/c the WWE had the roster to support it. How else were they going to have enough room room for HHH, Rock, SCSA, Foley, Edge, Undertaker, Kane, the Hardyz, the Dudleys, Booker, Benoit, Jericho, Angle, Eddie, Rey, Goldberg, Lesnar, RVD, and I could keep going but I'm sure whatever names I didn't list only helps make my point.

Back then the WWE had the best of WCW, ECW, and WWE all on one roster. The two separate shows w/ 3 singles titles and tag titles on each show was needed to keep big deal names in big deal situations. And then they were able to build Evolution and John Cena in the wake of all the other stars. Now, all the vets are part time and the new faces haven't been built up and aren't over.

Curtis Axel is the IC champion and his match with R Truth should be one of the major matches on the Battleground card. But the IC title used to mean something b/c it was the 2nd most important title in the WWE, now it's not. There is no way a PPV can make profit w/ Curtis Axel vs R Truth being in the co main event.

Now the 2nd most important title is the Heavyweight Championship. I know Del Rio hasn't done much with the Heavyweight title, but without it he'd disappear like Wade Barrett.

The brand split needs to need end for a lot of reasons. Mainly, lack of interest and lack of belief in the split. Everyone that matters already appears on both shows. Only reason the brand split still exists is b/c of the two title belts and b/c WWE forces it on us when they deem it relevant.

I think that a reunification storyline would be a great way to bring back interest and test the waters. Like Del Rio feels disrespected by being considered a 2nd rate World Champion and wants to unify the titles. If it doesn't build steam have him wrestle to a no contest by having other wrestlers interfere and branch off into separate feuds.

It seems as though the WWE has been testing the waters the past couple years. We have seen several Champion vs Champion non title matches. And plans may be in the future.

Do you not realize WWE doesn't have the roster depth to do the brand split anymore?

Just look at the current roster and you should know why they don't do the brand split anymore.

Yup. It only took about a year for ths to start happening, that in and of itself is a surprise :lmao:. I await the upcoming threads on how Kane should take the mask off.

Sadly, the OP is correct. Ending the brand split has caused the quality of programming to fall off a fucking cliff, entirely. Any title besides the WWE title is worth about as much as a sandal.

The reasons for this, are many

1. Same people, same matches, same shit, all night....EVERY night. I can handle one useless, paint-by-numbers Alberto Del Rio squash per week, but now its three to four times per week. Smackdown is just RAW without Cena and Punk. Which is anything but positive, given that RAW is fucking awful.

2. The WHC is in all sincerity an absolute mid card title now.

3. Way less oppurtunity for guys to break through. hen the rosters needed to stay seperate, they had to be resourcefull, and introduce new characters. Now that they use the same people and matches for every show, this happens less. I remember the days of Deuce and Domino, and Chuck Palumbo. There is no possible fucking way the talent pool is worse than it was at that time.

Do you not realize WWE doesn't have the roster depth to do the brand split anymore?

Just look at the current roster and you should know why they don't do the brand split anymore.

Bullshit. Its not deep on star power, but its as deep as it gets when it comes to talent.

Watch a few episodes of NXT. They coud easily funnel guys into SD and put on good matches, get guys over.

The reason there is a perceived lack of depth is because they have been given no reason to give anyone character development and depth. There are plenty of guys that could be much more over than they are if given proper mic time. As far as actual in-ring product, the WWE is as deep as it has EVER been. Its just tough to develop any stars when you use the same roster and set of people over the course of four shows a week.

I think the brand split would be beneficial to the overall product.

The ratings were better in the post-Nitro era when the WWE started its Brand Extension. I enjoyed the illusion that WWE was competing against itself. But what I enjoyed most were the differences in tone between the two brands.

John Cena, CM Punk, Ryback, Randy Orton, and Daniel Bryan could headline the Raw Brand. Sheamus, Ziggler, Del Rio, Sandow, Cody Rhodes, Cesaro, Axel, the Shield, Mysterio, and Big Show could headline Smackdown. There is tons of talent to staff both shows and have independent world champions.

I would not have brand-specific pay-per-views. I would have brand-specific house shows, but I would add one or two Raw stars to the Smackdown shows when possible for local buzz. WWE could make it work, and it might be worth their while.

I did not really like the brand split. It was a fun experiment that dragged on too long. Wasn't that started because Ric Flair "owned" 50% of WWE at the time? For that too make any sense to me now, would require a huge effort on WWE and the fans to invest in the Smackdown show knowing that it draws a smaller audience and that it has had a B-show status for quite some time. I agree that if it were to happen again, it would need to be established on equal footing and then go with it. I can only imagine the backstage conflicts amongst talent over who's getting what. These are the implications I imagined at first.

Now we are also left with another dilemma. Should we care about the WHC anymore. WWE may not at the moment, and they may be getting prepared to never again. IT seems to me if we want more prestige added to the WHC, we have to demand it. If we were to start now, it would have to start with ADR and Sandow feuding for the belt. These would be our primary contenders and hopefully, others will start to step out as viable components to a revitalized WHC scene.

Right now, the WHC is behind the WWE belt, The McMahons, & CM/Heyman. So it still has it place in the hierarchy of importance for program purposes.

Its gonna come down to a battle, between the WHC and IC belts. at the moment they both carry much historical significance and reputation, but which one could we really live without in order to move on?

I enjoyed the brand extension. It served a great purpose by having certain superstars perform on certain shows and engage in their own storylines. During the brand extension, you would have to wait until the next RAW to find out how the storyline progresses. You couldn't tune into SmackDown for it because it had its own storylines. With that, it drags the storylines out further. Now with superstars appearing on both shows, storylines progress and wrap up much quicker.

I was sad to see it end last year, but it seemed like it was necessary to do so. The WWE is severely lacking in the sufficient starpower to support two independent shows. When the brand extension began, the WWE had practically a dream roster with the likes of Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, the Rock, the Undertaker, Triple H, Brock Lesnar, Rob Van Dam, Edge, Booker T, Rey Mysterio, Eddie Guerrero, Kurt Angle, Chris Benoit, the Big Show, Kane, the Dudleyz and the Hardyz. It was pretty much a who's who of wrestling talent. But soon, those guys all disappeared and the WWE didn't do a good enough job to replenish the losses.

The problem is not the depth of the roster. Shit, they still have JTG, Ezekiel Jackson, Yoshi Tatsu and Curt Hawkins under contract and when was the last time you really saw any of them? The problem is the WWE doesn't know how to properly utilize certain superstars. Dolph Ziggler and the Miz seemed on the rise to becoming main event guys, only to get knocked back down to the midcard. I've been saying for some time now that unless you're in the WWE Championship picture than you just don't matter.

The way to fix the championship situation is to place strong emphasis on them once more. Back when the likes of Triple H and Edge held the World Heavyweight Championship, they were booked as if they would fight anyone to the death just to hold onto it. The Intercontinental Championship was formerly the second top title in the company. It was a stepping stone for many into the main event scene. The United States Championship was the NWA/WCW counterpart to the Intercontinental Championship and was regarded just as much. There was also a time when strong emphasis on women's and tag team wrestling and their respective championships was shown. Unless it's the WWE Championship, that's no longer the case.

The WWE could treat the championships better if they wanted to. It just doesn't seem to be a priority for them at the moment. But with the way the roster is now, the brand extension is not the answer. At this point, it would be better to unify the United States and Intercontinental Championships and the WWE and World Heavyweight Championships. At least that way, it would make them more sought after and thus more prestigious.

When they did the brand extension in 2002, WWE had a huge talent pool that could support having two separate rosters. Since then, people have left and their replacements just haven't been as big stars as their predecessors. Some people blame John Laurinaitis and his inability to scout talent for this, as the biggest stars he discovered were Hornswoggle and Kelly Kelly.

With HHH now in charge of the talent, I think WWE could eventually do the brand extension again, but not until they have sufficient roster depth.

I completely agree with this. I enjoyed the brand split and the World Title actually mean't something. It had a show centred around it and it felt very special. I remember when Goldberg and Lesnar were respective champions and crossed paths backstage at a PPV. I want that feeling again!!!

Seperate the two brands again. Different GM's, rosters, announcers...make them feel like rival shows and bring back the yearly draft!!!

And of course there is enough talent to fill both shows. Giving some of this talent 'TV time' will allow them to improve as well.

As has already been pointed out, wrestling fans are pretty damn fickle. When the brand split was actually in place, there tended to be about one thread a month pop up in which someone stated that they felt WWE should do away with the brand split. When CM Punk was finally given a strong run as WWE Champion, here came the "why isn't Punk closing the show?" whining and the "Punk's not a main eventer because he doesn't close the show" complaints. When WWE rushes through angles & storylines, they get criticized for not giving the stories time to properly move along. When they give storylines time, such as what we've been seeing in regards to Daniel Bryan's push, here come the "this angle is really starting to drag" comments. If Bryan becomes WWE Champion and is given a long term push, it won't be 2 months before the "Anybody else bored with Bryan as champ?" threads

If WWE brought back the brand split, it wouldn't be 4 to 6 months before the dirtsheet writers and fans who whine that it should be brought back will change their tune. WWE will make some booking decisions they don't agree with, push wrestlers they don't like, create an angle they'll nitpick to death, etc. Something will go down that won't jive with their mood for that day or whatever their grand vision of what things should be for that week and here we'll go again.

It was originally so they could spread the mainevent stars around and have space to make new stars. They now have no real maineventers left, apart from maybe Orton.

I've always been in favor of the brand split, simply because it helped make things easier to follow. It also gave you a reason to watch Smackdown as opposed to Raw and Raw as opposed to Smackdown. When Lesnar was only on SD, that meant only SD got him and it was great. When HHH ran Raw, it was even better to see JBL run SD. And when the Raw vs. SD feuds came up, it meant something.

Not to mention, the brand gave the WWE a chance to bring up new talent for both brands. Guys like Randy Orton and John Cena got their start on Smackdown while mid-carders like Hurricane and Jeff Hardy sore to heights they never could've in the Attitude Era [say what you want, but I'm right and you're wrong]. The brand split had its purpose, and the roster today is still deep enough to work so I don't see why not. The only problem I can come up with right now is that there aren't enough announcers. But that can easily be fixed.

The only reason they had a huge talent pool was because of buying out WCW/ECW, not because they were churning out stars at a high rate. The problem with today is a lack of stars but this is not the WWE's fault, they have one roster now, not three. A lot of people forget that the roster split caused a lot of filler matches on not just TV but PPV as well. It gave more people time that should of never had a lot of time in the first place. Anyways they have 5 hours of just Raw/Smackdown, they have all the time they need to build more people.

I think this is more of a case of people remembering the good and not the bad. The bad being really bad.

Good to see you using articles or posts from Wrestlezone to make your point. :rolleyes: I don't post at or write for either site, just on Wrestlezone, and I honestly couldn't care less of the opinions online of people outside this site.

Further, you didn't show threads from those sites, you merely showed a whopping three articles from two websites to make your argument that people are "fickle" with regards to the Brand Split. A good sample size it is not. Moreover, it makes for a good discussion topic every now and then, at least if one can understand what the OP is trying to say. :)

The biggest argument against the brand split is that WWE doesn't have the talent to run two separate shows. I would guide said person arguing this to watch NXT online. NXT has an over-abundance of talent that the same wrestlers don't make it on the show every week, hence they have a glut in talent that are more then equipped to at least work the "B show" aka Smackdown. Sami Zahn, Kassius Ohno(when he gets in shape), Leo Kruger, Paige, Enzo Amore, Adrian Neville, and Corey Graves are all ready, or close to it, now. Further, there are talents who were once relevant when the Brand Split was enforced that are hardly used now, such as Miz and Wade Barrett.

Bringing back the Brand Split would do three major things for the product, and, more specifically, the fans.

1. Makes room for more talent: Some time back, there was a rumor that Smackdown was going to three hours. I don't know what became of it, but the premise is simple. Most wrestlers appear on both shows, leaving less time for even the mid-card. One of my biggest complaints regarding Battleground was that half the matches were given a week or less of build. Having a Brand Split allows for longer builds, and thus, matches that mean more and fans are invested in on PPV. There's no reason to go back to single-brand PPV's, but this will allow the matches on PPV to mean more.

2. Increase The Value of The Titles: I'm one of several people I know who have grown frustrated with the devaluation of many of the titles, especially the World Heavyweight Championship. There was a time when almost every title had a feud heading into their PPV matches, last night, only one title match in Bryan vs. Orton had a true story. Because one storyline has been essentially dominating both shows, that storyline could encompass one show, allowing separate feuds to exist for the World Title and more. I remember a time when the World Title was frequently main eventing PPV's, including Wrestlemania 24, for example. Now, we're lucky if we get a semblance of a feud for said title, let alone one that could main event a PPV.

3. Fresh matchups, fresh ideas: Instead of feuds for two or three matches on a PPV, imagine a show that develops five to six? Because of there being no brand split, we often see the same match-ups time and time together that are thrown together. The Brand Split allows the opportunity for fresh match-ups, especially special match-ups if crossover shows are done a few times a year. Further, the yearly draft allows for the creation of balance so that there isn't that rut of seeing the same wrestlers face one another time and again. Logic dictates then that new matchups will lead to new, fresh storylines, not one that dominates both shows.

With fresh matchups, feuds and a renewed focus on the titles, there's a good bit of upside in bringing back the Brand Split. As for the negatives, you may get an adjustment period with marginalized wrestlers getting more air time, but over time, those marginalized wrestlers have a greater chance of becoming stars then they do now.

Yeah, I'm in favor of the return of the brand split.

The roster is filled with incredible talent - almost too much talent. 5 hours isn't enough to get all of them on TV and make Raw/Smackdown interesting. I would personally be in favour in another brand-split. I just feel that it could make each show more appealing to watch and use the roster better. Have the WWE and Intercontinental titles on Raw; WHC and US titles on Smackdown and the Tag and Divas titles defended on both. That would make each individual title more interesting.

I'm not even saying there should be brand-themed PPV's. I don't think that is necessary as it is ridiculous leaving a couple of your big names of the big events. As we saw with Battleground, there were matches that weren't built well and I'm sure the buyrate will reflect that. If there are two separate brands then that will be easier to rectify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back