Brian Kelly to the NFL?

Big Sexy

Deadly Rap Cannibal
Chris Mortensen has reported that Brian Kelly interviewed with the Philadelphia Eagles on Tuesday and there was mutual interest. Kelly is currently out of the country but talks are likely to resume next week when he returns. Recently college coaches have been getting more interest then usual and there has been some great success with guys like Jim Harbaugh and Pete Carroll. However, most of the college coaches having recent success are guys that have coached and/or played in the NFL before. Brian Kelly has never coached in the NFL in any capacity and he never played at the pro level.

I'm not saying Kelly can't have success because he is without a doubt a tremendous football coach and it has been done before (Jimmy Johnson), but it would definitely be a risk. It also is a little surprising because as much as I hate Notre Dame, being the head football coach there is one of the most prestigious jobs you can get in coaching.

So I ask you: Would Brian Kelly be a good fit in the NFL, particularly with the Eagles? Should Kelly try his hand in the NFL or would he be wise to stay at the collegiate level?

I'd be surprised if Kelly left Notre Dame. Why would he? He's already making great money and doing it at the most prestigious football university in the country, where he has great job security and is beloved across the country by Notre Dame fans everywhere.

Most likely this is just leverage to work out a better contract with Notre Dame, as it's fairly well known they are already negotiating for more money.

I'm thinking he stays at Notre Dame. As both of you said, it's easily one of the top coaching jobs in NCAAF. Plus he's only just begun. He turned that program around pretty fast and could easily challenge for for the BCS Championship for years to come. Plus the Eagles are in such disarray right now I'm not sure he'd want that kind of opportunity for his first coaching job in the NFL.

And frankly he might just want to stay so he can make up for that beatdown he just received.

I'd be surprised if Kelly left Notre Dame. Why would he?

Success in the NFL>Success in College Football. I don't want him to go nor do I think he'd be all that successful in the NFL (especially with the mess he'd have to clean up in Philly) but I certainly understand why the opportunity to coach at the highest level would be appealing.

There's rumors that Chicago wants to talk to him as well. I definitely wouldn't blame him for taking that job, they could be Super Bowl contenders with the right additions.

Success in the NFL>Success in College Football.
I just don't know how true that is anymore.

Nick Saban, right now, is making $5.5 million a year. This would put him in the Top 10 in the NFL, before taking into consideration all the other ways a college coach makes money. Additionally, he probably never has to pay for a meal, he'll forever be a legend, he has full control over the personnel on his team, and he's not going to be fired because his boss makes poor personnel moves.

The money, more and more, is becoming comparable and there are so many other benefits to college over the NFL.

I don't want him to go nor do I think he'd be all that successful in the NFL (especially with the mess he'd have to clean up in Philly) but I certainly understand why the opportunity to coach at the highest level would be appealing.
As do I, certainly. The NFL is still the premier football league.

I just think the risk is not worth the reward, especially since only a handful of coaches in the NFL have never been fired.

There's rumors that Chicago wants to talk to him as well. I definitely wouldn't blame him for taking that job, they could be Super Bowl contenders with the right additions.
Personally, I don't understand why NFL teams want Kelly. He doesn't seem like an NFL coach to me. Both Pete Carrol and Jim Harbaugh I could understand, but Brian Kelly I do not. I don't understand Chip Kelly either. I could understand Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier. I just don't understand why the NFL would want either Kelly.

I just don't know how true that is anymore.

Nick Saban, right now, is making $5.5 million a year. This would put him in the Top 10 in the NFL, before taking into consideration all the other ways a college coach makes money. Additionally, he probably never has to pay for a meal, he'll forever be a legend, he has full control over the personnel on his team, and he's not going to be fired because his boss makes poor personnel moves.

The money, more and more, is becoming comparable and there are so many other benefits to college over the NFL.

I'm not talking monetarily. He can certainly make just as much money as a College coach,

But take your example of Nick Saban. Who is going to be remembered more fondly, the guy with multiple Super Bowl Rings (Belichick, Lombardi, etc.) or the guy with multiple BCS Championships? In his world he'll be ranked among the best, but the overall sports world will still put NFL coaches ahead of him.

Saban is also a good example of why Kelly should probably stay as well, though. Saban has become a legend in College Football but he has yet to live down his stint in Miami. If Kelly goes to the NFL and fucks up, he'll have that attached to him forever.

As do I, certainly. The NFL is still the premier football league.

I just think the risk is not worth the reward, especially since only a handful of coaches in the NFL have never been fired.

Personally, I don't understand why NFL teams want Kelly. He doesn't seem like an NFL coach to me. Both Pete Carrol and Jim Harbaugh I could understand, but Brian Kelly I do not. I don't understand Chip Kelly either. I could understand Nick Saban and Steve Spurrier. I just don't understand why the NFL would want either Kelly.

I totally agree with everything you're saying here. I wanted Chip Kelly to get a shot just because I wanted to see if that offense could work at the next level, but Brian just seems like more of a motivational kind of coach as opposed to an X's and O's kind of guy. I don't know if NFL players would rally around him the same way college kids would.

Kelly should jump to the NFL.

There's no doubt that Notre Dame is an outstanding job and there really aren't many better jobs in all of college football. But, as evidenced by the title game, he's never going to win the title at Notre Dame. That ND team was overrated and barely squeaked by in several games.

He's reached his ceiling at ND. This is the best time for him to go, while he's fresh in everyone's mind and while he's coming off a BCS title game appearance. If Notre Dame falls back to Earth (which I believe they will) then no one in the NFL is going to be calling him.

Sure, there's a risk that he could do poorly in the NFL but it wouldn't be that hard for him to jump back to the college ranks even after failing in the NFL. Look at Saban. He didn't have any problem getting a job after he failed with the Dolphins. Once you've coached Notre Dame to the title game (no matter how overrated the team was), you're going to get hired again in college, no matter what happens in the NFL.

I'm not talking monetarily. He can certainly make just as much money as a College coach,

But take your example of Nick Saban. Who is going to be remembered more fondly, the guy with multiple Super Bowl Rings (Belichick, Lombardi, etc.) or the guy with multiple BCS Championships? In his world he'll be ranked among the best, but the overall sports world will still put NFL coaches ahead of him.
Paul Bryant. Knute Rockne. Woody Hayes. Bobby Bowden. Until last year, Joe Paterno.

I doubt you can find many NFL coaches as beloved and engrained in football lore as those names.
I totally agree with everything you're saying here. I wanted Chip Kelly to get a shot just because I wanted to see if that offense could work at the next level, but Brian just seems like more of a motivational kind of coach as opposed to an X's and O's kind of guy. I don't know if NFL players would rally around him the same way college kids would.

Brian Kelly is more of program building coach. He likes full control over everything, he builds from the ground up and molds into his style. He simply would not be allowed to do that at the NFL level.
Kelly should jump to the NFL.

There's no doubt that Notre Dame is an outstanding job and there really aren't many better jobs in all of college football. But, as evidenced by the title game, he's never going to win the title at Notre Dame. That ND team was overrated and barely squeaked by in several games.
So a team in Kelly's 3rd year, a team which played better than the expectations of anyone, is proof Notre dame is never going to win and is overrated?

You're not very knowledgeable about sports, are you?

He's reached his ceiling at ND. This is the best time for him to go, while he's fresh in everyone's mind and while he's coming off a BCS title game appearance. If Notre Dame falls back to Earth (which I believe they will) then no one in the NFL is going to be calling him.
Notre Dame is not going undefeated every year, but Notre Dame has instituted several changes which have them set up for long term success. Something as simple as a training table, which almost every other major college program has had, only became part of Notre Dame football three years ago. Former Notre Dame lineman have gone on record to say they used to lose as much as 30 pounds by the end of the season, that's not happening anymore. Their strength and conditioning program is stronger than it's ever been, as you can see with the impressive play of Notre Dame's line over the course of the year. Their strength and conditioning coach has said it usually takes 3 years to really see the improvement pay off, so imagine how much bigger, stronger and faster these players will be now that they've been receiving this kind of training from the moment they step on campus.

Their offense is going to be more experienced and improved next year, their defense could be just as good as it was this year, even after losing Te'o and Lewis-Moore. And they have a Top 5 recruiting class, according to Scout and ESPN (ESPN did have them #1 last week).

I'd love to know exactly what you're basing your opinion on that Notre Dame is going to "fall back to earth".

Paul Bryant. Knute Rockne. Woody Hayes. Bobby Bowden. Until last year, Joe Paterno.

I doubt you can find many NFL coaches as beloved and engrained in football lore as those names.

Vince Lombardi. Joe Gibbs. Tom Landry. Hank Stram. Paul Brown. Mark Madden. Chuck Noll. Don Shula. Bill Walsh.

That took me 5 minutes and it doesn't even include the guys who will inevitably be there one day like Belichick.

Vince Lombardi. Joe Gibbs. Tom Landry. Hank Stram. Paul Brown. Mark Madden. Chuck Noll. Don Shula. Bill Walsh.

That took me 5 minutes and it doesn't even include the guys who will inevitably be there one day like Belichick.

Bo Shembechler, Eddie Robinson, Steve Spurrier, Tom Osborne, Jimmy Johnson...

Those are just some of the names I didn't mention the first time, because I thought my point was made.

And what team did Mark Madden coach?

Bo Shembechler, Eddie Robinson, Steve Spurrier, Tom Osborne, Jimmy Johnson...

Those are just some of the names I didn't mention the first time, because I thought my point was made.

And what team did Mark Madden coach?

Oakland. What are we arguing about again?

Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure we agree that Kelly should stay in Notre Dame but we both understand the lore of coaching in the NFL. Why are we debating?

EDIT-

Sly was trying to be cute as it was *John Madden, not Mark Madden as the famous NFL coach.

Jesus Christ, I'm ******ed.

Sly was trying to be cute as it was *John Madden, not Mark Madden as the famous NFL coach.

If I was Kelly I'd certainly listen but he undoubtedly will receive just as nice of pay at ND as he would in the NFL and his history is more in college. While he wouldn't be the first college only coach teams take a chance on, I find it tough to believe teams are gauging serious interest beyond an interview.

Oakland. What are we arguing about again?

Oh yeah. I'm pretty sure we agree that Kelly should stay in Notre Dame but we both understand the lore of coaching in the NFL. Why are we debating?
Because you don't think coaching in college is as awesome of a gig as coaching in the NFL.

EDIT-

Jesus Christ, I'm ******ed.
;)

Because you don't think coaching in college is as awesome of a gig as coaching in the NFL.

;)

I'm sure it's awesome, in most cases probably better than in the NFL (I do believe the head coaching job at Notre Dame is probably better than one in Philly.) I'm just saying that I understand why someone would want to see if they could do it at the highest level. Kelly has no experience in the NFL, it'd be amazing if he went there and had success.

Brian Kelly is more of program building coach. He likes full control over everything, he builds from the ground up and molds into his style. He simply would not be allowed to do that at the NFL level.
So a team in Kelly's 3rd year, a team which played better than the expectations of anyone, is proof Notre dame is never going to win and is overrated?

You're not very knowledgeable about sports, are you?

Notre Dame is not going undefeated every year, but Notre Dame has instituted several changes which have them set up for long term success. Something as simple as a training table, which almost every other major college program has had, only became part of Notre Dame football three years ago. Former Notre Dame lineman have gone on record to say they used to lose as much as 30 pounds by the end of the season, that's not happening anymore. Their strength and conditioning program is stronger than it's ever been, as you can see with the impressive play of Notre Dame's line over the course of the year. Their strength and conditioning coach has said it usually takes 3 years to really see the improvement pay off, so imagine how much bigger, stronger and faster these players will be now that they've been receiving this kind of training from the moment they step on campus.

Their offense is going to be more experienced and improved next year, their defense could be just as good as it was this year, even after losing Te'o and Lewis-Moore. And they have a Top 5 recruiting class, according to Scout and ESPN (ESPN did have them #1 last week).

I'd love to know exactly what you're basing your opinion on that Notre Dame is going to "fall back to earth".

I'd love to know if you actually watch Notre Dame's games or if you're just on their bandwagon? Notre Dame barely won several of their games. They barely beat a bad Purdue team at home, struggled against Michigan, beat a good Stanford team in OT then nearly lost to BYU at home. Two weeks later they beat a terrible Pittsburgh team (at home) in triple OT after the Pitt kicker missed (wasn't blocked) an easy field goal.

Their defense was really good but offensively they were a joke. I don't have the rankings in front of me, but they were not in the top 50 in passing and probably not in the top 25 in rushing. They also didn't score a lot of points.

This was a team anchored by an outstanding leader in Manti Te'o on defense (who's leaving for the NFL) that overachieved. Based on the games I actually watched featuring Notre Dame, I believe Notre Dame will be good but not "elite" again any time soon. They do have an oustanding recruiting class coming in but I see them as more of a 2 or 3 loss team at best, for the foreseeable future, especially considering the schools they play and the fact that they're now going to be playing an ACC schedule featuring FSU and Clemson.

My point was that, IN MY OPINION, Kelly has reached his ceiling. I don't believe he's going to win the NCAA title. Since they're an independent, there's no conference championship for them to win (they are not eligible for ACC championship), so what more can he do? With their heart and soul of the D leaving for the NFL, and a few other key pieces, this might be the time to head to the NFL, while he's the "HOT" name and he's fresh in everyone's mind, coming off of the BCS title game.

He's a well respected coach in college and if he leaves for the pros and fails, he can come back to college and take pretty much any opening he wants.

I'd love to know if you actually watch Notre Dame's games or if you're just on their bandwagon?
:lmao:

I watched nearly every minute through the regular season, as I've done for many years now. I've been a Notre Dame fan for as long as I can remember, including watching the FSU vs. ND game in '93, a game in which ND won, only to lose the following week at BC, which prevented them from winning the national championship. I sat through the Bob Davie years, suffered through the Willingham years and was disappointed in the Weiss years. I actually attended the last game Weiss coached at Notre Dame against BC and the BYU game this year in person.

I'd love to know if you actually watched the Notre Dame games, not just this year, but for the past several years.

Notre Dame barely won several of their games.
So?

They barely beat a bad Purdue team at home
Golson's 2nd game.

struggled against Michigan
Golson's 3rd game

beat a good Stanford team in OT
Heck of a game.

then nearly lost to BYU at home.
Golson was injured and didn't play.

Two weeks later they beat a terrible Pittsburgh team (at home) in triple OT after the Pitt kicker missed (wasn't blocked) an easy field goal.
After pounding a highly ranked Oklahoma team at Oklahoma in a clearly emotional game.

Their defense was really good but offensively they were a joke. I don't have the rankings in front of me, but they were not in the top 50 in passing and probably not in the top 25 in rushing. They also didn't score a lot of points.
They were a ball control team. They finished 9th in time of possession and 17th in fewest turnovers as a team (including special teams).

They weren't built as an offensive juggernaut, they were built as a team who controlled the ball, kept the opposing defense on the field and relied on their own spectacular defense.

This was a team anchored by an outstanding leader in Manti Te'o on defense (who's leaving for the NFL) that overachieved. Based on the games I actually watched featuring Notre Dame
Is that all of them? Because I watched all of them. Some games I watched twice. Did you watch all of them too?

I believe Notre Dame will be good but not "elite" again any time soon. They do have an oustanding recruiting class coming in but I see them as more of a 2 or 3 loss team at best, for the foreseeable future, especially considering the schools they play and the fact that they're now going to be playing an ACC schedule featuring FSU and Clemson.
It's hard to predict the future, but a 2 loss team isn't considered elite, if they're sprinkling in undefeated seasons?

Your knowledge of Notre Dame football is clearly inferior to mine. That's not an insult, it's just a fact. If Brian Kelly does leave, then things could change. If Bob Diaco leaves, then things could change. But if the coaching staff remains mostly intact, then Notre Dame is going to be good for a long time to come. Unlike the team they were in Charlie Weiss's first two years, this team is not only good, but they are also athletic and well-coached.

Rumors are strong that Jamoris Slaughter will get a 6th year of eligibility from the NCAA, which would make their defensive backs very tough. Louis Nix has already committed to a senior year. Stephon Tuit has been a beast. Sheldon Day will replace Lewis-Moore admirably. They will take a hit in the linebacking core, but have a commitment from the #3 player in the country, who is a linebacker. Their linebackers won't be quite as good, but their D-line and D-backs could be better.

And the offense will be better, as long as the line can recover from graduation. Golson will have a year more experience. Cierre Wood should be back and you'll see more Atkinson. Troy Nicklaus will replace Tyler Eifert with very little noticeable drop, if any. And the wide receiving corps will be another year better and more experienced.

And the entire team will be another year stronger, another year better coached.

My point was that, IN MY OPINION, Kelly has reached his ceiling.
And in my opinion, your opinion of Notre Dame is fairly ignorant.

I don't believe he's going to win the NCAA title.
And I don't see how you can say that after only 3 years, after watching a team who outplayed their expectations.

He's a well respected coach in college and if he leaves for the pros and fails, he can come back to college and take pretty much any opening he wants.
But not likely a position like Notre Dame, which is probably the best college coaching job in the country.

:lmao:

I watched nearly every minute through the regular season, as I've done for many years now. I've been a Notre Dame fan for as long as I can remember, including watching the FSU vs. ND game in '93, a game in which ND won, only to lose the following week at BC, which prevented them from winning the national championship. I actually attended the BYU game this year in person.

I'd love to know if you actually watched the Notre Dame games, not just this year, but for the past several years.

So?

Golson's 2nd game.

Golson's 3rd game

Heck of a game.

Golson was injured and didn't play.

After pounding a highly ranked Oklahoma team at Oklahoma in a clearly emotional game.

They were a ball control team. They finished 9th in time of possession and 17th in fewest turnovers as a team (including special teams).

They weren't built as an offensive juggernaut, they were built as a team who controlled the ball, kept the opposing defense on the field and relied on their own spectacular defense.

Is that all of them? Because I watched all of them. Some games I watched twice. Did you watch all of them too?

It's hard to predict the future, but a 2 loss team isn't considered elite, if they're sprinkling in undefeated seasons?

Your knowledge of Notre Dame football is clearly inferior to mine. That's not an insult, it's just a fact. If Brian Kelly does leave, then things could change. If Bob Diaco leaves, then things could change. But if the coaching staff remains mostly intact, then Notre Dame is going to be good for a long time to come. Unlike the team they were in Charlie Weiss's first two years, this team is not only good, but they are also athletic and well-coached.

Rumors are strong that Jamoris Slaughter will get a 6th year of eligibility from the NCAA, which would make their defensive backs very tough. Louis Nix has already committed to a senior year. Stephon Tuit has been a beast. Sheldon Day will replace Lewis-Moore admirably. They will take a hit in the linebacking core, but have a commitment from the #3 player in the country, who is a linebacker. Their linebackers won't be quite as good, but their D-line and D-backs could be better.

And the offense will be better, as long as the line can recover from graduation. Golson will have a year more experience. Cierre Wood should be back and you'll see more Atkinson. Troy Nicklaus will replace Tyler Eifert with very little noticeable drop, if any. And the wide receiving corps will be another year better and more experienced.

And the entire team will be another year stronger, another year better coached.

And in my opinion, your opinion of Notre Dame is fairly ignorant.

And I don't see how you can say that after only 3 years, after watching a team who outplayed their expectations.

But not likely a position like Notre Dame, which is probably the best college coaching job in the country.

Sorry, didn't realize you're an "expert" in Notre Dame football. Do you think switching to the ACC schedule is going to help or hurt them? Florida State and Clemson both look to be very good for the foreseeable future. Virginia Tech is down but still has very good recruiting classes coming in.

Also, do you think Urban Meyer's presence at Ohio State, is going to hurt Notre Dame's recruiting in the long run, as Urban Meyer is known to have some pretty bad and "unfair" recruiting methods? He'll now be recruiting players in the midwest, east and south that Notre Dame would have maybe easily had.

I'm in Big Ten country so I've followed Notre Dame closely over the years but obviously not as closely as you.

Good thing this forum archives threads because let's come back 2 or 3 years from now and see who was right.

Sorry, didn't realize you're an "expert" in Notre Dame football. Do you think switching to the ACC schedule is going to help or hurt them? Florida State and Clemson both look to be very good for the foreseeable future. Virginia Tech is down but still has very good recruiting classes coming in.
Meh, I don't think it will be much different than what they have with the Big 10. Sure the Big 10 was down, but Michigan is always a threat to be great. Michigan State has been very good the last several years. Purdue will have good years and bad years.

I don't think switching to the ACC will be that big of a deal, especially since they are not playing in the conference, which means they won't necessarily be playing Florida State and Clemson and Va Tech every year.

Also, do you think Urban Meyer's presence at Ohio State, is going to hurt Notre Dame's recruiting in the long run, as Urban Meyer is known to have some pretty bad and "unfair" recruiting methods? He'll now be recruiting players in the midwest, east and south that Notre Dame would have maybe easily had.
I've never been too afraid of Urban Meyer's recruiting. Urban Meyer's coaching is second to none. His recruiting has yet to be validated.

I'm in Big Ten country so I've followed Notre Dame closely over the years but obviously not as closely as you.

Good thing this forum archives threads because let's come back 2 or 3 years from now and see who was right.
This isn't about being right, this is about the evidence you're using to support your argument. You have nothing to support your argument, except a game against a team who has been National Champions three years out of the last four, and a few games in which Notre Dame's freshman QB didn't play well or didn't play at all.

Could Notre Dame slip? Yes, things happen. But there is no evidence right now they will not do anything but solidify their place among the elite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back