• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bret Hart - The Real Cancer?

JJYanks121

The Mouth of the South Shore
I know I don't usually start threads. I would think I'm kinda known for butting into other ones and hopefully contributing in a positive manner. However, I haven't seen anything on this topic and felt it could be a solid discussion.

I remember being a 12 year old kid and seeing the screwjob and not knowing what to think. I remember subsequently buying Hitman Hart: Wrestling With Shadows and learned one side of the behind the scenes "screwjob debate". I've read numerous interviews, articles, posts, anything I can regarding the "feud" between Hart and the Kliq. I've read Shawn's autobiography and gotten his side too. I come to you on this forum with extensive knowledge and background to propose an educated view that I'm not sure is totally out there. While Bret Hart continues to lambaste and ridicule Shawn Michaels and Triple H, most recently called them "cancers", the other two have not acknowledged the thing in years. The reason, I feel, is that Bret was the true cancer, and him leaving might have been the best thing to happen to the WWE.

Hear me out here as we divulge into different situations and come to a conclusion that Bret was no saint. At the outset of his career in the WWE, he did something superstars today wouldn't dream of doing. Bret Hart told Vince McMahon no. Vince wanted Bret to be a cowboy, Bret wanted to be himself in the Hart foundation. While other future superstars took stupid gimmicks like an evil dentist, The Ringmaster, a Connecticut snob, a deranged psychopath, a loner turned vampire, and others, Bret from day 1 knew he didn't fit the mold of the WWE brand of wrestling and tried to do things "his way". While others made due and worked their asses off with lame gimmicks in order to grow, Bret worked tag matches with his brother-in-law being managed by Jimmy Hart. A no personality team, without Jimmy, they would have been another technical team. However, due to that pairing, they won some tag team gold over the years and stayed gainfully employed. At some point, it became evident that a somewhat normal looking guy was more marketable than a crazy blonde with a huge beard, so Bret was considered for a singles push. Creating the moniker of "Hitman", which I honestly never understood, Bret quickly became entangled in the Intercontinental championship picture. This move made a lot of sense as the IC belt at that point was "the wrestler's belt". Remember that in that time, the technical guys went for the IC belt, the big money draws and best gimmicks went for the WWF title. With no gimmick but plenty of technical prowess, Bret found his home and won the belt. Everything was great until..............

A year after winning the belt, the WWF was in a bit of turmoil, Hogan was on his way out, Warrior went AWOL, Macho Man was a commentator, Ric Flair went back to WCW, and the main event scene was under duress. Here's comes "the hero" Bret Hart, who to this point is an IC worker who draws only outside the US and Yokozuna, perhaps the best monster heel to come around in a while. Yoko got a huge push and Bret was thrust into the title scene too, even winning the belt quite quickly. Bret becomes disgusted when at Wrestlemania, Hogan won't "pass the torch". This is one of the big debates over time and one I could never side with Bret on. We're talking about the biggest draw in the history of pro wrestling to this point, the man who brought wrestling to the mainstream, the man who did movies, tv, anything in the media, and the man who carried the WWF on his back and made it a global empire, and here's little Bret Hart, a nice wrestler, who believes he's the second coming of Hogan after ONE year as a singles wrestler. Not only does he think he's the new Hogan, but he wants Hogan to put him over clean in a face vs. face match.......really? So Hogan in the weird situation, beats Yoko after Yoko beats Hart, and Yoko beats Hogan and "destroys Hulkamania" a few months later. From there, the Lex Luger pushed is blown and Bret goes over the man who destoyed the Hulkster at Wrestlemania X. To recap, Bret beat an unstoppable monster who was the most dominant man at the time, a man that beat the man Bret wanted the rub from, thus making Bret look dominant, but this was never good enough and Bret held a grudge and might still on Hogan for this instance. Now I know that wrestlers earn their spot and everyone at the top politics and whatnot, but to declare yourself the next Hogan basically is a bit much no matter who you are. I am not a fan of egos and I get that when you are young, you have one. The problem I have with Bret is, he never grew out of it.

The next part of his career that I will discuss is the on screen/off screen feud with Michael Shawn Hickenbottom (Shawn Michaels of course). Now, over the years, people have chose sides, defended them, and beat the horse that is the screwjob into the ground so far that I think it came out on the other side of the earth. What I want to discuss is the relationship between the two men. Bret liked to call Shawn an egomaniacal jerk who hung with the Kliq and did his share of politicking. All of this is true, as admitted by Shawn in his autobiography and in growing as a person and finding religion, he realizes he was not always the best person. However, it was a double edge sword as Bret was pretty much the same except with the "family" clique. In a time where the WWF was hurting, those 2 men were consistently the company's best draw when working together, but neither wanted to lose to the other. For a stretch, they both didn't want to "do business". However, this case becomes jaded when you factor in something Bret said in his documentary. As Bret left the WWF, the company and the industry in general was changing if not full blown changed already. The product was edgier, sexier, crazier and Bret was against it. I find that amusing because the first time I remotely enjoyed Bret Hart is when he was a dick in the Hart foundation. Before that, I felt he lacked direction. Granted I was like 13 in 1997 so I was a kid watching and I SHOULD have liked Bret as he was the "hero" he wanted to be, but I found him boring at the time. I know others will disagree and that's fine. My point is, Bret berates the direction the business was going in, a direction that made it more money than ever before. Now, it is fine to be against the creative direction, but I have a problem with him being in the minority yet thinking that his name alone should change the entire direction of a company. You get that vibe in his documentary that he felt that he was above it all and somehow the "Hitman" who was everyone's hero, could have still prospered. In a day where your biggest face stars are beating up their boss and telling others which way and where his size 13 boot will go, somehow I tend to believe that the "good guy" from the old school was a thing of the past. We talk constantly about guys having to stay current, and Bret is and was no exception.

Bret goes to WCW after "not doing business" but again, not a screwjob thread so I won't even get into it. The only thing I will say is that at the time, I wish both Bret and Shawn realized the other had talent in their own way because I don't think either one thought the other should be main eventing despite the fact that their feud and matches were excellent. Onto WCW, and not much to talk about until Bret's career is ended. While we all can agree that Goldberg wasn't the safest worker and basically ended the career of Bret after 2 and a half years of crap, culminating in Bret joining the group started by guys he hated, the nWo. Is it coincidence that Bret's time on top in WWF and his subsequent leaving for WCW is basically concurrent with the rating wars and when they turned? This guy thinks no, and that Bret was never the draw he thought he was. I know I'll get arguments as to him actually drawing ok, but let's be honest, in the broad scheme, we know that Hogan was the big draw, there was a dip, and the next boom was with Stone Cold Steve Austin, who I know will be argued was "made" by Bret, but I'll argue he wasn't "made" until he became champ and feuded with the boss, but that's for another time.

The final point I will make is that Bret Hart's career ended in 2000. You would think a man in his 40s who's career is over, would just quietly retire and enjoy life with the kids. However, this is a man who cheated on his wife, is now twice divorced, and continues to berate who he chooses, and despite efforts made by others to mend fences, Bret won't budge. Dude is over 50 and in my eyes, refuses to grow up. If you are retired, make your peace, it's never healthy to walk around with grudges over a feud in a business you love but no longer participate in. To me, Bret fits in that same mold of washed up, old wrestlers who stay bitter at a business that destroys them. Of course, Bret is a former champ who did very well financially and retired married, rich, and yes hurt, but young enough to rehab and live pretty healthy (until the stroke). I'm very turned off by the bitterness and the refusal over many years to admit very many others were talented, refusal to change and grow, and refusal to mend fences. This is a guy who sees himself above all others as g-ds gift to wrestling and I don't think that's a fair assessment.

In conclusion, I dont' want you to think Bret Hart is a bad wrestler. At no point did I say that. I did say he struggled from an entertainment aspect in terms of mic work and selling feuds, but he was a talented worker, a safe worker, and a reliable one, and I respect that. The point I am making is a response to this man calling HBK and HHH "cancers" and my belief that this is the pot calling the kettle black. Bret had a very high opinion of himself and still does and moreso, believes that his way is the only way for the wrestling industry despite overwhelmingly profitable decisions that "wouldn't be the way he woulda done it". So I say, respect Bret for the technical wrestler he is, but realize he is not the type of person that would be universally liked.

So, is Bret the real cancer? I think so. I'm sure I left out points but hopefully they will be discussed. Please post your comments and keep them focused on whether Bret's personality is cancerous to the industry or not. I hope we get some good dialogue. Enjoy!

You show bias throughout your post.

1. You start by criticizing the cowboy thing. Bret refused in the sense that he gave another idea because he wouldn't be able to sell a gimmick. It's not like he forced Vince's hand. He didn't have that kind of stroke. He then proceeded to start as a jobber tag team. But yes, he really "refused to do business". :rolleyes:

2. He didn't "create the nickname" for his singles push, he was called "Hitman" from, if not the beginning of his WWF run, near the beginning. It was his nickname in the tag team. Neidhart was the Anvil, Bret was the Hitman. One was about blunt force (an Anvil) and one was about precision (a Hitman). It's not that difficult.

3. Hogan was leaving the company. He SHOULD have given Hitman the rub. This is the same thing you criticize Hart for later, yet your giving Hogan a pass. And as you might be able to tell from my name, I don't criticize Hogan lightly.

4. You then veer completely out of fact and head towards conjecture. "You get that vibe" etc. That's completely opinion. He may have been against the direction of the company, but he was a company man through and through, and did all the things he was asked to do. He just wouldn't let his kids watch the program.

5. Then you say "Is it coincidence that Bret's time on top in WWF and his subsequent leaving for WCW is basically concurrent with the rating wars and when they turned?" It's not a coincidence, because it's not true. After Hart came to WCW, Nitro continued to win the ratings war every week thru March. At this point, on the back of Steve Austin and the Rock, the ratings war is becoming competitive, and the federations are trading wins. The last time Nitro won was the show immediately before the arrival of Vince Russo, and one show a few weeks later. So yes, it's a coincidence in the sense Bret Hart was present, but it certainly didn't coincide with his arrival. That would be Vince Russo.

6. Bret talks about it more then Shawn and HHH? Of course he does. He was the one screwed over! It happened to him. If your girlfriend cheats on you, who's going to talk about it more, you or her? Plus, his career was unceremoniously ended due to an unsafe worker (ironic, considering Bret's great reputation as a safe worker), and the two of them spent years lying about it, only to finally admit that yes, they were in on it.

I don't feel I have that much more to say that Mr. Hulkamania hasn't in a beautiful post. But I feel be missed another flaw in your horrendous and overkilled thread topic. You said Bret brings it up more than the other party. Did you miss the Undertaker screw job? The Raw a few months ago in Calgary? The entire Shawn Michael v. Vince McMahon storyline? The WWE brings it up a fair bit, so I am not sure where you get off making that claim.

How is Bret the bad guy in all this? In short, he isn't. While Montreal was both parties' faults, Bret has gotten the raw end of the deal FAR more often than the other side. Really, what did Vince, Shawn and HHH lose? Shawn becomes a mega heel, has cheap joke material lined up for the rest of his career, and is booed maybe two weeks a year. HHH is launched from being a midcard guy into a great feud with Owen that got him noticed and was a big part of his rise to the top, and Vince had his company saved by WCW referencing Montreal at Starrcade 97. Bret never got a rub from any of the main guys as they were leaving other than a house show win over Flair who was easily the weakest of the main three, he got robbed in a very shady business deal, got his head kicked in that's affected him for over a decade afterwards, and has been out of the spotlight for 9 years now. If the Screwjob didn't happen, Bret would more than likely be making sporadic appearances, be working in the front office, or be a GM type of character. Instead he's been on WWF TV I believe twice in 12 years.

In short, why shouldn't Bret be ticked off? He obviously still means something because people keep asking him for interviews such as this one. Bret had 14 years of excellent service to Vince and then one thing goes bad and he's an outcast for eternity. Hogan has pulled so many stunts over the years that by the standard Bret was held to Hogan would have been executed decades ago. Bret did everything he could with what he was given and worked his ass off. Now he has to sit back and watch the guys that are the biggest reasons he is in the position he's in now be more successful than he was and make fun of it time after time. Think about it like this: using the above example, if your girlfriend cheats on you, how would you like having to hear about her make jokes about it all the time? Montreal is still referenced on a regular basis in wrestling. Bret is the one that affected, not Shawn or HHH. So no, Bret isn't the cancer. He's the guy that's stuck with the cancer.

Yeah i think Hulkamaniac has pointed out the flaws.

I have been a massive Bret Hart fan and at the time of the screwjob, wasn't actually watching wwe. I cannot remember how long after the actual incident i heard/read about it.

What i don't understand was that Bret did offer to lose the title to Shawn, but just not at SS as it was in Canada. Cos he wasn't due to start work at wcw for a week or a month or something and he still had time left on his wwe contract, correct? Did they screw him over cos they wanted it to happen at a ppv?

On the other hand, I enjoyed the post by JJYank. It was thoughtful and well-articulated. He tells the Bret story from beginning to end, rather than potshotting individual aspects of Hitman's career while ignoring the rest.

Sure, he sees Bret as the culprit of the story......the title of the post confirms that, but JJYank's arguments seem reasoned and logical.

You know what the tale of Bret's career makes me think of?........... that for all the Harts, Hogans, Savages, etc, there are tons of wrestlers out there who possessed similar ability and talents as the guys who became superstars, yet never received a push. They struggled on for years, never really making an impact because the company they performed for didn't consider them worthy of a push. How many careers would have turned out differently if the company had gotten behind the wrestler? How many wrestlers that we've totally forgotten might have become legends themselves with the right kind of backing?

In Bret's case, even as he complains about being screwed, he might take time to remember that he got huge pushes during his career and was given the chance to shine over and over.

No wrestler (not even Hogan) should ever think that they did it by themselves. They go as far as their employer lets them go, and it would do Bret and others well to keep that in mind.

I'd like a chance to rebut a few points and perhaps explain myself in short. The idea for this thread came from a wrestlezone link which posted an article where Bret calls HBK and HHH cancers. My view is that anyone and everyone can be a cancer at any point backstage because it's a cuthroat business. The point I was trying to make was that Bret was no angel. If you missed it, at the end I stated that Bret is a very talented guy in the technical aspect of wrestling, but not as much on the entertainment side. Yes, he had some good feuds and there were certainly times I was interested in a Hart feud, but in terms of personal ability to draw my attention (and many wrestling fans), the ability to do so in a promo and the like wasn't really there until the heel turn.

I have done a lot of reading on the Canandian wrestling dynasty and the lifestyle and mindset that those who come from Canada, specifically Calgary and Stampede, seem to have. They are match-first type wrestlers which will always keep you employed. Bret is one of the few to truly become a star, even an icon in Canada and that's commendable. I do think he's a guy who can come off as likeable, but the reason I wrote the post is simply this:

For years, I read HHH bashing, HBK bashing from the past (not now as he's become a darling), among others for "politics" or "pulling rank" or anything of the like. All I'm trying to say is that it's a 2 way street and Hart was no angel and not the most sympathetic figure at times.

As far as the Hogan rub, whether he should or should not give him a rub is opinion. I made it seem as though he never should have. I'm a big believer in earning your spot and my point was that Bret had just gotten there. Also, at that time, face vs. face matches weren't very common. It was always "good guy vs. bad guy". It was a tricky situation and believe me, Hogan is no saint either so I'm not glamorizing or rewarding Hogan for his part, but I am stating that my opinion, which as far as I know, I can express on these forums, is that Bret had a higher opinion of himself specifically in that time than perhaps he had earned. That's not to say that he didn't earn his spot on top later and do a pretty good job, it's just that very few are ready to carry a company in their first title reign. Off the top of my head, Hogan and Austin succeeded in their first reigns since the Vince McMahon Jr. era. Perhaps you can argue that Cena did too, but not many are fully ready in that first reign.

Regarding my points on Bret leaving for WCW, I was being a bit sarcastic and ironic and perhaps it came off more negative than I intended. The point was that this was a guy who in his heart wasn't feeling the creative direction of hte company. However, he was a top guy and needed a top role so the heel Bret was born and it was excellent. Great promos and heartfelt. I liked that he was speaking his mind. To me that role fit him best. I guess in a way I think that Bret would have made a wonderful heel throughout the years and if he was born like 10 years later, a heel Bret in the more modern era would be a very intriguing character in the product of the new millenium. Anyway, as Bret left in November of 1997, the ratings gap began to close with WWF finally overtaking WCW in February or March (good point there) or 1998. I think that part came off a bit harsh, but the point was that a company's ability to move forward rests in the hands of the workers and EVERYONE being on board. If Bret was a guy that wasn't really on board and was a top guy, you might hinder progress and lose that edge. I can't guarantee that, hell, no one can. But Bret leaving opened up the spot for Stone Cold and his edge and persona opened a can of worms for the buttons WWF could press.

I know this came off as very negative and writing it at 3 in the morning can do that and perhaps cloud some of the more valid points I was trying to make. I was simply challenging Bret's claim that other men were and still are cancers to an industry he loves with my own claim that it's kind of the pot calling the kettle black in that Bret wasn't perfect. I know he did a lot of wonderful things as a worker and even behind the scenes. The point is, we all have our good and bad sides. I simply presented Bret's bad side when few are willing to do so. I appreciate the criticism and disagreements as we aren't all going to feel the same way. It sparked discussion about the man without mentioned the one night that generally defines him. Again, I may have come off harsh, but please take my points in stride. I'm not purely negative and I have a lot of respect for anyone who can last in this business for as long as all the players in this story have (Hart, HHH, HBK). I'm also not naive to think they are angels. Be free to draw your conclusions. Mine are that these men are human and have good and bad sides. If presenting one's bad side is a sin, there are a lot worse than me!

The recent interview where Bret called HHH and HBK cancers was not a complaint about the screwjob, but a complaint about how those two in particular have been crucial voices in moving the WWE product to where it is now. Bret prefers old school booking, where storylines are mostly centered around wrestling and who is the best, while HHH and HBK prefer edgier, MTV entertainment driven storylines. As far as I understood that's what he meant.

As for all the stuff you said:
- Neidhart had red hair, not blonde. Macho Man wasn't an announcer in 92, he was world champ. Flair didn't leave until 93. Getting stuff like this wrong kind of makes me take everything else you say less seriously.
- I can't remember Shawn's autobiography, was he still lying about even being involved in the screwjob when it was written? If so, then I'm not sure how you can compare his side of the story to Brets.
- HHH and Shawn still mention the screwjob. Just last year WWE.com had a little article that asked various superstars about what would have happened if the screwjob went the other way around. HHH answered something along the lines of "Nothing, because it wouldn't have happened. Me and Shawn aren't stupid. Bret was."
- Bret never said he was the next Hogan. He said Hogan should have passed the torch. Andre did it for him, why shouldn't he do it for Bret?
- Bret does respect Shawn's talent. And I think Shawn respects Bret's. They were kind of friends and worked together often before 95. He dislikes Flair, but also admits that he's one of the best too.
- Bret's aware he wasn't a big draw in America, but he was the posterboy for the WWF in a time when their worldwide markets were doing the best business. He knew he had a huge audience worldwide and was one of the main reasons the WWF didn't go out of business between 92-97.
- Bret's personal life (the cheating, divorce, et al.) did not effect the business whatsoever. Why bring this up at all?
- Bret was the promotions best promo guy in 97. How was he bad on the entertainment side of the business. He wasn't one to crack jokes or ramble incessantly in his promos, but he could realistically get his message accross.
- Bret wasn't in the way of Austin getting his push or finding his edge. Austin was just as bad ass in his feud with Bret and would have been given the title regardless. He wasn't hindering anything.

Bret's not the best person, everyone recognizes that, but calling him the real cancer to the business is absurd.

I think all the negative posters are missing the point. All I'm doing is leveling the playing field. That's it. I'm not disrespecting Bret, not saying he didn't contribute a lot to the business. All I'm saying is that with everything over the years (including an admittance by HBK that he wasn't always the nicest of guys backstage in his first run), don't consider Bret an angel. I am saying put him the boat of all other top of the mountain guys where he has a dark side. That's all.

I think all the negative posters are missing the point. All I'm doing is leveling the playing field. That's it. I'm not disrespecting Bret, not saying he didn't contribute a lot to the business. All I'm saying is that with everything over the years (including an admittance by HBK that he wasn't always the nicest of guys backstage in his first run), don't consider Bret an angel. I am saying put him the boat of all other top of the mountain guys where he has a dark side. That's all.

You painted the guys entire career overrated, and then blamed him for the Screwjob. You may have intended to "level the playing field", but you didn't do that. Besides for that, what everyone is trying to tell you is, nobody is saying he didn't have a dark side, and didn't do bad things. What they're saying is that many people side with Bret between he and HBK, knowing they both have their dark sides. Why should the playing field be leveled if most people feel one side is wrong? Nobody has any false illusions that Bret Hart is a saint. They know he cheated on his wife, they know he politicked in the back, and they know he was a bit of a diva. In short, he was a typical pro wrestling main eventer. But just because he wasn't a saint doesn't mean that he's in the wrong in this specific situation.

I agree Bret is the evil in the wrestling company. You can just tell with the way he acted on WWF tv that he thought he was above everyone. Used to annoy me when he would say in a promo "At the Summerslam" or "In the Survivor Series" like he didnt even know what they was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back