Boring films that are wildly interesting

JGlass

Unregistered User
I think we've all had our fair share of a bad movie experience where a movie we were looking forward to watching didn't live up to expectations or we saw a movie that a friend insisted we sit through despite the fact that it flat out sucked.

Let's face it, there are some flat out BAD movies out there, and when you leave the theater after seeing one of these movies you can't help but feel like you wasted two hours of your time and $10.

However, there are plenty of movies out there that, while kind of boring to watch, they are far from bad movies. In fact, they're some of the most enriching and rewarding movies out there.

Tree of Life (2011)

[YOUTUBE]WXRYA1dxP_0[/YOUTUBE]

I was fortunate enough to have a friend who wanted to see this as badly as I did, and I desperately wanted to see it. Only one theater in our area was showing it, a little independent cinema a few towns over. When we got to our seats in the small, sans-air conditioning theater, we quickly realized we were the youngest audience members there... by about thirty years. The old people apparently weren't ready for an art film of this magnitude, and easily at least a quarter of them left the theater around halfway through the film.

When I got home my parents asked me how the movie was. I told them it was amazing. They asked me what it was about, and I said, "The way you choose to go through life and existentialism in general." They asked what the plot was, and I said, "Eh, there really wasn't much of one."

Tree of Life is a tough film to watch for sure. The dialog between characters can be slow and there are long portions of the movie where there really is no dialog. It's abstract, never really banging you over the head with any point it's trying to make which, while refreshing, is an abrupt deviation from the norm. However, after watching the movie there is no shortage of things to talk about regarding life or regarding film analysis.

The Fountain (2006)

[YOUTUBE]NDp-F3Y97ZQ[/YOUTUBE]

Aronofsky proves once again that this dude knows his way around a film. This movie is slightly less abstract than Tree of Life, but just as confusing. Hugh Jackman (of all people) stars as three different characters in three different storylines, each one more metaphorical than the last, but all three of his characters are searching for the exact same thing. On the one hand he plays a medical scientist that is testing on chimps to find a cure for brain tumors. In another storyline Hugh Jackman is a conquistador trying to find something of great importance to Christianity as well as himself. Finally, in the most abstract of all of the parts, he plays a monk of some sort, traveling through time and space, trying to take care of a dying tree.

The film is slightly easier to watch than Tree of Life because there is a very straight-forward storyline that is easy to get sucked into, but the film is so much deeper than that. The three story lines tell exactly the same story in three different ways, and without spoiling too much, Hugh Jackman's character must learn from all three in order to figure out what he needs to do to enjoy his real life. This film is a must watch for all film analysis fans, and especially people who have enjoyed Aronofsky's work.

So what are some movies that you were bored while watching, but felt great about when the credits rolled? Can you enjoy a movie that is very slow but has a great message or great film making techniques?

Interesting topic. I haven't seen Tree of Life but as soon as I read the title I thought of Terrence Malick. I saw The New World in the cinema and while I wished at times it would speed up, it was awesome to see a director who composes films how HE wants them to be seen even though it restricts him from truly mainstream exposure. The Thin Red Line is maybe not boring, but as it is dragged out and laborious I'd nominate that too.

While it is a classic and a tremendous accomplishment given Orson Welles' age at the time, Citizen Kane would be another film I'd put into this category. Even as a film/media student, as much as I appreciated the various nuances and techniques, it is a film that at times I found myself getting bored with. Having said that, because of the scope and timespan that the film covers I can completely understand.

[YOUTUBE]CHtF8PADoN0&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Vanilla Sky
Come on, its not like much happens in Vanilla Sky. The movie is based around Tom Cruise's character whose wealthy, owns a publishing company, has a good looks and has repeated relationships, it then goes into his twisted mind and insecurities after his accident - half the movie is based in his apartment, maybe, not even half could be three-quarters of it.

The only three scenes I remember based outside of his apartment are the nightclub/street scene and the actual accident, I'm sure he leaves for work or something but asides that it isn't a fast paced movie that makes you jump out of your seat. The film is one of those thinkers, it's entertaining because it makes you think.

Really, the whole thing is based around Cruise's mental state, and in the end his new blossoming relationship with Penelope Cruz. Is a very good film, but I wouldn't rush out to buy it or anything - well, I already own it, got it on sale for like three euro.

Interesting topic. I haven't seen Tree of Life but as soon as I read the title I thought of Terrence Malick. I saw The New World in the cinema and while I wished at times it would speed up, it was awesome to see a director who composes films how HE wants them to be seen even though it restricts him from truly mainstream exposure. The Thin Red Line is maybe not boring, but as it is dragged out and laborious I'd nominate that too.

While it is a classic and a tremendous accomplishment given Orson Welles' age at the time, Citizen Kane would be another film I'd put into this category. Even as a film/media student, as much as I appreciated the various nuances and techniques, it is a film that at times I found myself getting bored with. Having said that, because of the scope and timespan that the film covers I can completely understand.

I'm a film student as well, and I feel quite similarly about Citizen Kane. It's terribly dull and very difficult to sit through, especially when you've seen it about three or four times (it's a long fucking movie!). That said, it's got some of the most amazing cinematography in film history and you can't deny the acting is great.

I'm a film student as well, and I feel quite similarly about Citizen Kane. It's terribly dull and very difficult to sit through, especially when you've seen it about three or four times (it's a long fucking movie!). That said, it's got some of the most amazing cinematography in film history and you can't deny the acting is great.

Absolutely, in retrospect it was incredibly brave and dynamic of Orson to do what he did with the film exposure and different lenses etc to make it stand out even back then. 'Pioneer' definitely comes to mind in describing his contribution to cinema!

I should have actually watched this film long before I did, as one of my coursework modules last year was choosing 3 films that portrayed the media in the 20th Century. I also saw Network for the first time not long ago (I know I know, I shook my head at myself afterwards too!) and those 2 would have been a lot easier to write about. Got away with including Zodiac but really had to argue strongly that it should be seen as a media film rather than a crime drama. Oh well!

Deer Hunter is another I would include in response to the question asked originally. First time I watched it was on a DVD player that didn't have a display, and I couldn't believe how long the film had gone on for before they even got to Vietnam! In a teenage huff I took it down to a charity shop the next day, but I wouldn't mind giving it another go now I know more about cinema.

Also, if we are including long films, I might even option Seven Samurai too, though I certainly don't find it boring but due to the amount of build-up I can understand others seeing it that way. Wrote about it amongst other films for my dissertation and the more I researched the film and Kurosawa, the more I loved it.

It's kind of hard to answer this question, because if somebody thinks a movie I find interesting is boring then that's their problem, not mine. My taste in movies is terrific. :)

I decided to look over my imdb ratings though and it seems like Southland Tales is the movie I have to go with since its average rating (5.6) is really low compared to what I gave it (10).

Again though, I hate to be "that" person, but if you don't like this movie, then you simply don't get it. It's an odd, highly entertaining interpretation of the Book of Revelation. That's what the movie is, and if you don't know the basics of the Book of Revelation, then you won't at all get the movie or like it. And I think that's the case with most people who don't like the film. They want the movie to flat out tell them everything they're witnessing rather than having to think for themselves and realize what it is their watching. It's pathetic.

But yeah... Southland Tales fucking ruled. It's so thought provoking, and on each viewing you find out something new and interesting. Plus the performances from the actors are all fantastic and unexpected. Each actor in this movie (which is a stacked cast with actors nearly everyone should be familiar with) take on a role that they've never came close to having before in their career, which just makes the film all the more interesting.

I'd probably have to go with The Shining (1980). Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Jack Nicholson, and I'll always love Stanley Kubrick, but this film can feel very boring at times. Some scenes feature these long and uninteresting conversations, and there really aren't any spook moments in this horror film. But The Shining can feel very chilling and creepy, and things really pick up, when Jack Nicholson's character starts to loose his mind. His descent into madness is unreal here, and Nicholson's performance is the highlight of this film. Jack is great here, and his psychotic persona does add a good amount of terror to this film.

Also, there is a good amount of chaos towards the end. Jack loses his mind, and he must kill. I always want to see Danny and Wendy survive Jack's relentless attack, because they are sympathetic characters.

And Awake would be another one of my picks.....

[YOUTUBE]NS0iDBP1o_M&playnext=1&list=PL4794578D59BAF91A[/YOUTUBE]

Awake has a very intriguing premise. Hayden Christensen's character is aware of everything that's going on around on him, while he undergoes major heart surgery, but he is still completely paralyzed from the anesthesia, and at the same time, he can't talk or cry out for help. While on the operating table, Christensen learns of a sinister plot to kill him. Christensen's character has a series of flashbacks while he's on the operating table, and his mother and wife start to become suspicious of what's going on in the operating room.

Yeah, I know that story might sound completely bizarre and whacky to some people, and the ending is kind of corny and predictable, but the story for this film actually drew me to theaters a few years ago, and I do own this one on DVD. This film does feature it's fair share of dull moments, and the lead performances from Christensen and Jessica Alba aren't that good, but Awake does feature a nice mystery. When Christensen finally learns of the plot to kill him, I began to wonder who else is in on it? Can Christensen miraculously wake up in time to save his life? Will he survive? Will his flashbacks help him remember some crucial details? The story manages to keep me guessing the entire time, and there some nice twist and turns here.

Better acting could've helped this film, because I think the acting is the only true weakness here. Terrance Howard is fine, but the bulk of the performances here feel so plain and ordinary.

Awake is far from great, but I don't think this film is as bad as the critics make it out to be.

It's kind of hard to answer this question, because if somebody thinks a movie I find interesting is boring then that's their problem, not mine. My taste in movies is terrific. :)

That's not really what this thread is getting at, JMT. I was referring to movies that are difficult to sit through because of lack of action or plot or dialog, but are really enriching watches.

I've never seen Southland Tales, but it sounds like something that I'd find very interesting. I love religious adaptations into film, so this is something I'll have to check out.

Still, it doesn't sound like the type of movie I was trying to describe with my opening post. I don't know much about the book of revelations, but I'm pretty sure that's the one where the world ends, which seems like you'd have to have a good deal of action for.

Since we coved the Malick movies (he's one of my favorite directors) I'll name some new ones.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp2ppYB9fDo

"Jesse James" is one of my favorite films of all times. They made Robert Ford more than just a man but more like a Shakespearian protagonist. The scenes seemed to have a poetic feeling even in the smallest actions. Fantastic dialogue and a entrancing score.
The entire cast is outstanding and I'd have given Pitt and Affleck oscar nominations for Best Leading Actor. Affleck's supporting nomination is definitely in the wrong category.

While I loved every second of it, I can say that it would put others to sleep. I loaned it to three different friends at times. One loved it, another turned it off after an hour and the third said it was ok but admitted to falling asleep for 15 minutes during it. So to me boring... no. To other's it's more than likely.

All The Real Girls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTrjVYno6Xk

Before David Gordon Green decided to become an idiot by making "Your Highness", he was on his way to be the next Terrence Malick. His first four films are hard hitting "southern gothic" dramas. "Pineapple Express" is still lot's of fun through. However "All The Real Girls" is the best work he's done. It's probably the most emotional devastating film I've seen. Everything the leads feel is so believable it comes over to the audience.

The movies just about the relationship between two people as it follows around Paul Schneider's character. There's no huge problems or dilemmas in the movie, just a relationship. It took me a bit to get into the movie, but once I did I couldn't move away from it. I think to others though that it may bore them to tears. I haven't recommended it to my friends and I normally would for a a movie I loved so much. If they didn't really like "Jesse James" or "The Tree Of Life", I don't even know what they would do with this one. My first guess is turn it off after 45 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back