• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Booker T's commentary!

Booker isn't as horrible on commentary as people are painting him to be. At the very least, he shows emotion when on commentary unlike other droning robots who I've heard do commentary in the past. And probably most importantly as a former in-ring competitor, he also knows his shit when it comes to calling the play by play. He's a LOT better than when he made his commentary debut a few months ago and I think he can only keep getting better. I too hope he sticks around because I love the guy.

I think Booker T is a great announcer! Just because he's not JR doesn't mean he's bad. He actually brings emotion and a feeling of in-ring experience, and when it comes down to it, that is what a commentator can use to make any moment memorable. Case in point: JR and King going apeshit over HBK's superkick on a mid-air Shelton.

The only problems he has is:
A. Even for a face announcer, he roots for the faces too much (except for Kofi, apparently)
B. I feel he puts too much time into bickering with Cole, which is really a rookie mistake (he should do like JR and ignore him, only referencing him with the occasional diss). But that's really Cole's fault. And, off-topic, that's Cole's main problem as an announcer: he starts too many arguments then tries so hard not to lose. He never brings up points, he just tries too hard to talk over that person, and knowing Booker damn sure isn't gonna be talked over, that's when we get the calamity. I missed the face Michael Cole that would sit back, relax, and be Tazz's bitch for the next 2 hours...

I love Booker T's announcing. Not because he is good at it, but because he is so god awful that it's funny. But I am a huge fan of socially awkward cringe inducing humour. Now if i did not find awkwardness so hilarious I am pretty sure Booker would irritate the hell out of me when announcing, so it's easy to understand people's dissatisfaction.

His commentary is amazing, I can't be convinced otherwise.

Remember what the E stands for, Entertainment. Booker is Entertaining. Who cares if he's talking gibberish some of the time, it's much more fun to listen to than when Matthews and Cole adopt their *somber tones* when a medic gets called out, then go all bright and breezy reminiscing about what Cena/Miz did this week on Raw! Please.

No other commentator builds up the night by his increased use of the phrase, "right there" until he explodes in a stream of them during the main event. It's hilarious! We're keeping Booker aye? Aye.

I like booker T as a wrestler but imo his commentary is not that bad. He can talk and relate his wrestling career to the match. But if he would be replace maybe scott standford because he's also entertaining woo woo woo!

I like Booker as an announcer. I thought Striker was better, but it's good to have the analysis of a former world champion at the announcer's desk and we get that in Booker's commentary. I'd rather they have kept Striker though because he was the best announcer. Striker and Matthews, NO COLE, is how I'd want it to be. Booker's a good announcer though and I enjoy hearing his thoughts on the matches. The thread starter mentioned Edge as an announcer in Booker's place. If Edge ever did become an announcer I'd rather he be on Raw, taking Lawler's place.

Booker does a decent job, better than I would have expected, and as many have said, he has improved.

He does, however, have a tendency to draw out sentences unnecessarily. You sometimes notice the other commentators trying to chime in because Booker is still babbling on about something that happened two minutes ago and doesn't interest anyone anymore. He sometimes loses himself.

Still, for color commentary it works. Very unique voice. Not as intense as a certain late great Macho Man, but definitely one that stands out.

...I'd say William Regal because he was gold as commissioner and believable as a wrestler. The problem with that is Michael Cole is already a big heel announcer and I'd see Regal as a heel and 2 heels don't mesh well....

Don't know if you've seen Regal's work on NXT, but he doesn't heel it up in the commentary box, in fact he provides an excellent impartial, informative and well informed perspective on the in ring action, as well as his tips for how the rookies could improve. If ever a man from the roster deserved a spot on the commentary table it should definitely be Bill Regal.

As for Booker's commentary, from interviews and segments in the past I always believed Mr. Huffman to be quite a smart guy and a year or so ago when rumours surfaced of him one day joining a WWE announce team I was quite excited by the prospect. I have to say I've been fairly disappointed with the result so far, but I am prepared to give the guy time. It's just wrong to throw Booker in at the deep end and then yank him because he flounders a bit, y'know?

Long story short, Booker could well improve, but if he doesn't, bring in Regal!

Most of the problems with Booker comes from the fact that for a long time, most of his commentary consisted of him screaming at Cole's stupidity. Now that Cole's turned down the annoying Heelishness, Booker can actually call the matches and I feel he's doing much better.

Though, I won't deny he can be pretty hard to understand with that voice of his.

Booker T is terrible. Although I agree with the fact that he spent too much time dealing with Cole, he is still terrible. He consistently goes too far off talking about how much something hurt in an active match, and his use of metaphors is no where near intelligent. He is better than Tazz, but in no way an enjoyable person to listen to. Hopefully he will get better!

I love Booker T in commentary he cracks me up, i think that a lot of people don't like the way he talk because he uses a lot of black slang and don't get it. He has good energy, all he needs to work on is getting down his timing with the other guys. Jr & King were good for so long because they played off each other well, it doesn't matter who you put out there they gota be able to work together well. In the end it won't matter who they put out there it will be still be some complaints no matter what.

Michael Cole was the terrible one on the announce team. Booker T constantly tried to keep it following the matches, Michael Cole was all over the place.

And now that Cole can't be a heel he still reverted back to his heelish ways.. its almost like Cole doesn't even know how to call a match anymore. He's still got to make it about himself.

What I like about Booker T is he is out there having a good time, calling the action like he sees it.. and he tries to avoid getting wrapped up in the Cole Crap. Sometimes he rants a little long about something silly, but it's A LOT better than listening to Michael Cole talk about ANYTHING other than the actual match.

Get Him Wrestling Again And Get Someone Else On Commentary Because Its Already Bad With Cole On So Get Ethier Good Ole JR .... Or Maybe Todd Grisham ....

Haha And Can I just Say Who Remebers Byte This ?

OMG !

Booker seems to contradict himself in his commentary and he seems to say one thing and then when either Cole or Matthews disagrees with him he turns it into something else with the same meaning as both Cole and Matthews.

He's a brilliant superstar but match commentator? I dont think so.

Well I suppose if you look for nothing but emotion in a commentator, Booker T is awesome at his job. But otherwise, he leaves a lot to be desired.

I really don't blame Michael Cole for calling Booker T on the dumb shit he says and making Booker his bitch in just about every debate they have, and that's because Booker just makes it so easy. Don't get me wrong, I thought Booker T was great on the mic as a wrestler, but when he was a wrestler, his job wasn't to make sense. His job was to be emotional and entertaining. Now he has a different job, and I personally expect different qualities from a commentator than I do from a wrestler. Booker T, however, doesn't seem to have changed his qualities.

He really does say a lot of dumb things. One quote that comes to mind right off the bat was something along the lines of (in reference to The Corre) "He has no business being out here, he doesn't have a manager's license!" Huh? If anything, I commend Cole for replying with "Manager's license? What is this, 1985?" Not to mention how Michael Cole(rightfully so) calls him on having had Sharmell constantly helping him at ringside through the later part of his career, and Booker just replies with either "That's different, she's my wife" or "We're not talking about me right now, let's get back to the match...Aw hell, he just took a hard shot...he might have some...some broken ribs or somethin'!" Gimme a break.

But I suppose it's better that he remains a commentator than ever being involved in WWE in a creative or booking capacity. That would be so much worse. After all, it's clear that if it were up to Booker T, there would never be interference, distractions, or even third parties at ringside during matches...no one would ever taunt for even a second during a match ("He needs to stop wasting time and take care of bidness!")...every time a wrestler took a shot to the midsection, he would have broken ribs, and probably nothing that makes wrestling interesting would ever happen. Seriously, for a guy who used a lot of heelish tactics in his career, he seems to have a hatred for anything that deviates from "getting the job done fair and square". Actually, based on a lot of the things I've heard, his vision of wrestling is what I imagine Ring of Honor being like. But I've never watched ROH, so hopefully I'm wrong.

So my question is Do you like Booker on the Announce team?

Who would you rather see on the Smackdown broadcast team, instead of Booker T? Or should it be just Matthews and Cole?

1. Yes. I actually like Booker T. He makes me laugh with his crazy shit. It's something outside of the norm and he's new to the process. I don't see the big deal in giving the guy a year or so to see if it fits. Something tells me that he'll be just as entertaining and slow it down so that he makes a bit more sense. But, it'll still be fun.

2. I'd keep Booker T. on the Smackdown! announce team. He works. Though, I will say that Matthews has really improved and fits his role very well.

The only other wrestler I can think of right now being on the team and it working would be CM Punk. Dynamite.

If it were up to me, I'd take Cole off of the SmackDown announce team, let him and Lawler do their thing on Raw, and leave Booker and Matthews on SmackDown. Half of the problem with Booker's commentary at the moment is that he's constantly battling with Cole. Let him develop without that added pressure.

He is okay as a commentator. I miss the days when JBL was a commentator. JBL should replace Booker T. He was funny, entertaining, and he knew what he was talking about. i wish that he would comeback to do commentary, but that won't happen.

If it were up to me, I'd take Cole off of the SmackDown announce team, let him and Lawler do their thing on Raw, and leave Booker and Matthews on SmackDown. Half of the problem with Booker's commentary at the moment is that he's constantly battling with Cole. Let him develop without that added pressure.

I agree. In some of the previous matches where Matthews and Booker T did commentary by themselves (or have Jim Ross with them), they tend to do a little better without Cole around. Now that Cole's heel run has cooled off a bit, I think that Cole shouldn't be on SmackDown now. IMO, they should have JR replace Cole on SmackDown and allow JR to "enhance" his broadcast partners Josh Matthews and Booker T. When I mean enhance, I mean that when JR is paired with someone, he has the magic of making his broadcast partner sound good. Cole can't do that.

No. Not Edge. And is another thread about how bad Booker T is really necessary?

But, while we're here... Booker T's commentary is probably the worst thing in the WWE right now. PPVs and shows that could be great are only decent because we have to listen to a terrible announcer muck his way through match after match. I love Booker, and I respect him as a talent, but let him get back to work as usual. He's in better shape than 90% of the roster, and knows how to wrestle, and is a former 6 time world champion... Why in the world is a former 6 time World champ who is still in great shape and can still move around well...sitting on the announce table?

Well, im torn on him. I like him and i don't like him. Reasons why i don't like him Is because his voice is just ... Weird and at times i don't understand what he says half the time. But as time has gone on he has improved on his commentary and has grown on me. I love how him and Cole are always firing jokes at each other and how Booker over exaggerates when he's speaking (eg, OMG KOFI JUST LANDED A KICK TO THE LEG!) I love it.

I would keep him on the Smackdown commentary team. Leave it how it is with him, Josh Matthews and Micheal Cole.

He's bombastic and entertaining. He's very energetic and spirited which is good, he talks up everyone though that's the only problem with him and Matthews they are too goody-2-shoes. Jerry at least puts over heels as heels

I still don't understand what is it about his words that others here don't understand. He's speaking plain English, what's the problem? I like his commentary but the only thing that bothers me to no end is whenever he goes "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH" whenever somebody makes a comeback or something big happens.

Love Booker T My Favorite WRESTLER always. And Guys hes talking is weird because he grew up in harlem in what the 60s or 70s thats how they talk it's wird but thats him. Now anoucing the first couple of months was horible, now I think hes geting better I especialy like when he tells us the moves I always enjoyed hearing the moves it helps me conect to the action better. So At this current moment id say i like him more then any other commentater besides Tazz everyone else is borring but Tazz and booker makes me laugh and they tell me what's going on in the ring instead of telling me dumb storys that have nothing to do with the action in the ring. Love Booker Commentating.:)

Personally I love Booker T's commentary! The fact as soon as he picks someone to win they lose is hugely entertaining. Remember the peoples choice Raw? Every time Booker said what option he thought the "universe" would vote for he was wrong.
What I dislike is Cole picking him up on every single slip he makes. Down the years all commentators made mistakes. Gorilla Moonson constantly got names wrong and years out of order. Did Heenan call him on it?No. The heels are supposed to be the dummies. Booker T is far better than Jerry Lawler in 2011,I don't even know how the guy is still employed. Also Josh Mattews is a very competent play by play guy and WWE would be wise to have him call on Raw as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back